The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SWG might be getting revived. ..... OFFICIALLY.

renegadeimp

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not EQ next. Smedley specifically said it was unannounced, and he states further on in the AMA, that EQnext is to be released later next year.

The only thing we can take from that is it is a swg or a new IP, but built on SWG's framework. Since it is in development, theres no point hoping for a release before 2016 at the earliest. lets just hope theyve completely trashed the original swg engine and theyre using a new one.

Done right ( big words for soe), the planetside 2 engine would work very well for it. Theyd just need to get over this whole "stylised graphics" crap that is prevelant in the industry now.

I just hope they dont hire the old SWG management team. Everything they touch gets destroyed. But scarily, most of them have left Bioware and EA and havent stated where they are working now... which ties in with a secret MMO.

Edited by renegadeimp

I still have yet to see anything official regarding EQ Next, other than it is slated for this summer. I don't follow it that closely though, I get most of my info from a friend who has his Alpha key. Regarding Smed, don't take anything he says at face value. Either way...

My guess would be if it is Star Wars related, it's going to parallel the new movies. Only makes sense.

Edit: After doing a bit of researching, the Star Wars Galaxies Trademark was renewed recently.

Edited by Pirana

As much as I would love to see SWG with a proper engine and no CU/NGE I just cannot believe SOE would get the lience from EA to do so. EA has bought the exclusivity rights to SW games, why would they do that and then allow SOE to make another SWG?

Now, a game like SWG? That's much more likely. But please, stop raving about an SWG ramake, it's just not happening.

As much as I would love to see SWG with a proper engine and no CU/NGE I just cannot believe SOE would get the lience from EA to do so. EA has bought the exclusivity rights to SW games, why would they do that and then allow SOE to make another SWG?

Now, a game like SWG? That's much more likely. But please, stop raving about an SWG ramake, it's just not happening.

I guess it's always possible that EA/Lucasarts publishes the game, while SOE develops it. As far as "would it draw subs from TOR?" Possibly, but I doubt it's impossible for the games to coexist, especially if they're radically different from each other. Had SWG stayed around, I probably would be playing both.

All that said, I doubt it's SW related. More likely a game based on SWG's system, but without all the mistakes they made previously.

Not all Star Wars games. And the licence would come from LucasArts not EA. EA could kick up a storm but with SWTOR not breaking the records they had hoped, there is room for a far better MMO experience.

SOE have a much great player base than EA does for MMOs and they have the Clone Wars MMO currently as well. SOE have learnt from their mistakes in the past and have managed some of the most successful MMOs around.

If SWG was revamped with a new engine/graphics etc - SWTOR would be dead instantly as it will offer much much more, including OPEN world pvp, proper crafting, REAL Bounty Hunting instead of a themepark linear experience.

Remember, SWG lasted as a paid MMO for 8 years without any free to play option and at that time, broke records as being the fastest selling MMO in 2003. Times have changed since then and I believe there is room for a new Star Wars Galaxies to rule.

Edited by DarthMaulUK

Not all Star Wars games. And the licence would come from LucasArts not EA. EA could kick up a storm but with SWTOR not breaking the records they had hoped, there is room for a far better MMO experience.

SOE have a much great player base than EA does for MMOs and they have the Clone Wars MMO currently as well. SOE have learnt from their mistakes in the past and have managed some of the most successful MMOs around.

If SWG was revamped with a new engine/graphics etc - SWTOR would be dead instantly as it will offer much much more, including OPEN world pvp, proper crafting, REAL Bounty Hunting instead of a themepark linear experience.

Remember, SWG lasted as a paid MMO for 8 years without any free to play option and at that time, broke records as being the fastest selling MMO in 2003. Times have changed since then and I believe there is room for a new Star Wars Galaxies to rule.

I'd rather not see that happen, I don't want SWG I want SWTOR thanks.

...Wouldn't this draw subscribers away from SWTOR? I agree with Jandi, giving them the licence to make another SW MMO would be a poor move on EA's part - people would just unsub and play that instead.

Try to remember SWG's history, SOE's track record with customer satisfaction, and pretty much everything else with SOE's name on it. :rolleyes:

Try to remember SWG's history, SOE's track record with customer satisfaction, and pretty much everything else with SOE's name on it. :rolleyes:
But while simultaneously recalling the constant forum threads talking about how SWTOR isn't as good as SWG, bring back SWG, where can I play SWG? etc. etc.

I think there is a lot of appeal, nostalgia, and if done properly folks will flock.

Even without the SW IP TBH if this is any good, SWTOR subs might take a hit...

Except, believe it or not, SOE have changed. Theyve gotten rid of the defunct games, gotten rid of the terrible game management, and sat down and had a rethink. They are focusing on a few games now and ploughing their resources into their own IP's. They've basically gone from a big developer like EA, and closed themselves in to ensure that their games are actually good.

And from all accounts of the games they have, they are doing a damn good job of it finally.

It is NOT going to be a Star Wars game, it is going to be a new MMO with gameplay similar to what we saw in SWG. It's the same as Star Citizen being for Wing Commander fans: a spiritual successor but not one set in the same universe.

You don't know that, but in all likelihood, yes. I'd be happy with it, still.

Both playerbases however are currently playing SWTOR, which means many will migrate.

And? If a game is good, it is capable of standing on its own too feet. SWG lasted almost 6 years after the mass exodus of players. Im pretty sure SWTOR can do the same. Remember, a LOT of gamers dont like sandbox games, because by its very nature, it is an open world hardcore system. There are no 'safe options' in a sandbox. From the second you enter the worldwith a new character you are at the mercy of players and NPC's.

Edited by renegadeimp

And? If a game is good, it is capable of standing on its own too feet. SWG lasted almost 6 years after the mass exodus of players. Im pretty sure SWTOR can do the same. Remember, a LOT of gamers dont like sandbox games, because by its very nature, it is an open world hardcore system. There are no 'safe options' in a sandbox. From the second you enter the worldwith a new character you are at the mercy of players and NPC's.
Perhaps, perhaps not. But lets remember that SWTOR relies on constant new content, which costs money. So we might see a less content in the future if SWG was released.

Anyway, I think we should look at this realistically. Lucasfilm gave EA exclusive rights to publish new Star Wars games and altogether Disney seems to be consolidating the Star Wars franchise. It doesn't seem likely that they are going to start sourcing games out to other publishers, which in all likelihood would be a violation of the contract.

Edited by Beniboybling

Perhaps, perhaps not. But lets remember that SWTOR relies on constant new content, which costs money. So we might see a less content in the future if SWG was released.

Anyway, I think we should look at this realistically. Lucasfilm gave EA exclusive rights to publish new Star Wars games and altogether Disney seems to be consolidating the Star Wars franchise. It doesn't seem likely that they are going to start sourcing games out to other publishers, which in all likelihood would be a violation of the contract.

I think you are over reacting. This game would do fine if sandbox mmo came along. Like i stated, and you seem to have ignored, a full hardcore sandbox mmo like swg only caters to a niche audience. SOE seem to have learned that lesson the hard way. It wont have much effect at all on the playerbase of swtor, as sure, a lot of people will head there, but will leave soon after when they realise that the content of a sandbox game is player made. There arent any quests/missions, there arent any flashpoints/dungeons.

It is basically an open world where the devs populate it with NPC's, ability to customise your character/town/city however you like, and basically make it your second life.

That sort of gameplay doesnt appeal to many people. Evidence of this is WoW. Most, if not all players of that game like the linear approach to the game where they are spoonfed content and pretty much dont have to work for it.

In a sandbox MMO, if you dont work for something, you dont get it. It's that simple.

I think you are over reacting. This game would do fine if sandbox mmo came along. Like i stated, and you seem to have ignored, a full hardcore sandbox mmo like swg only caters to a niche audience. SOE seem to have learned that lesson the hard way. It wont have much effect at all on the playerbase of swtor, as sure, a lot of people will head there, but will leave soon after when they realise that the content of a sandbox game is player made. There arent any quests/missions, there arent any flashpoints/dungeons.

It is basically an open world where the devs populate it with NPC's, ability to customise your character/town/city however you like, and basically make it your second life.

That sort of gameplay doesnt appeal to many people. Evidence of this is WoW. Most, if not all players of that game like the linear approach to the game where they are spoonfed content and pretty much dont have to work for it.

In a sandbox MMO, if you dont work for something, you dont get it. It's that simple.

Did I not say "perhaps, perhaps not"?

That means maybe it will go this way, maybe it won't. But considering how many people in this game want more sandbox features, PVP focus, player homes, and a host of other SWG features, I'm not convinced that almost all of the player base wouldn't think twice about leaving SWTOR for SWG. And with a lack of hard statistics, we can only speculate.

But the point you seem to have missed, is that its probably impossible considering EA has the rights to publish.

Did I not say "perhaps, perhaps not"?

That means maybe it will go this way, maybe it won't. But considering how many people in this game want more sandbox features, PVP focus, player homes, and a host of other SWG features, I'm not convinced that almost all of the player base wouldn't think twice about leaving SWTOR for SWG. And with a lack of hard statistics, we can only speculate.

But the point you seem to have missed, is that its probably impossible considering EA has the rights to publish.

Ahh the devils advocate approach. People keep stating that EA has exclusive rights to a star wars mmo. However, there isnt evidence to suggest that. Remember, licences are only valid for a certain amount of time, and with Disney/LEC/whoever they are now, things can easily change. Ea will always be susceptible to a monetary offer to alter the terms of the agreement.