An Idea for fixing the low participation in Group Ranked.

Crawelc

This may be rather circular logically and I apologize in advance.

If a 4 man team with an average of ~800 group rating queues for regs, they will play other people playing regs. ~0 chance of getting stomped by a superior team.

If a 4 man team with ~800 group rating ques for rateds, they will play an over 1500 group rated team.

Yes it might take a bit for the queue to pop, but that is the team they are going to face. A group of people that have been playing together, developed synergy, and will destroy them.

My solution is simple Implement HARD brackets. No chance for an average 800 team to ever get a pop against a team with more than 300-400 more rating than they have.

A lot of people tell me that there are just regstars and the actual competitive teams left in SWTOR. My answer to that is why be a regstar when you can be a low bracket star. Once you prove that you are the low bracket star you gain enough rating to move up to the next bracket. One of two things then happens. You either prove that you are mid bracket material and move up from there, or you go back to being a low bracket star until you get the chance to try again at the mid bracket.

I don't really see any downside to this system, but I am sure the community can come up with one.

If a 4 man team with an average of ~800 group rating queues for regs, they will play other people playing regs. ~0 chance of getting stomped by a superior team.

If a 4 man team with ~800 group rating ques for rateds, they will play an over 1500 group rated team.

Yes it might take a bit for the queue to pop, but that is the team they are going to face. A group of people that have been playing together, developed synergy, and will destroy them.

My solution is simple Implement HARD brackets. No chance for an average 800 team to ever get a pop against a team with more than 300-400 more rating than they have.

A lot of people tell me that there are just regstars and the actual competitive teams left in SWTOR. My answer to that is why be a regstar when you can be a low bracket star. Once you prove that you are the low bracket star you gain enough rating to move up to the next bracket. One of two things then happens. You either prove that you are mid bracket material and move up from there, or you go back to being a low bracket star until you get the chance to try again at the mid bracket.

I don't really see any downside to this system, but I am sure the community can come up with one.

tbh, the issue is lack of incentive to do ranked, other then rwz comms, theres not much else

There won't be any queue pops at all then. The PvP population is just too small, most SWTOR pvp community that's left is actually PVE

THERE IS BUT ONE SINGLE SOLUTION!!! CROSS SERVER QUEUES!!!, if that is not going to happen then all the work BW put into to get us AREA was WASTED!!!!

Edited by ASLCHYRAX

There won't be any queue pops at all then. The PvP population is just too small, most SWTOR pvp community that's left is actually PVE

THERE IS BUT ONE SINGLE SOLUTION!!! CROSS SERVER QUEUES!!!, if that is not going to happen then all the work BW put into to get us AREA was WASTED!!!!

The PVP population is NOT to small. Queues pop every 5 minutes. What is to small is the ranked participation. Which is what this thread is about. Make your own thread about cross server that the devs have said to many times to count is "too hard"

I like this idea, and was thinking something similar the other day. The only hurdle I see is how to address when someone from a higher bracket tries to do RWZ with something from a lower bracket.

My idea is to just take the Median rating of the group. At the end of the WZ, your +/1 rating is determined by comparing your own rating vs the Median rating of the opposing team. So someone with a high rating that played a very low Median rating team would get next to no rating increase, and likewise the low rating player would lose next to nothing vs a high median rating team.

Basically it would stagnate the rating system if the population got to low or un-competitive, which should encourage more teams to take part.

Something that I also think would help increase participation is shorter seasons. Six months is just way too long; they should be 8 weeks IMO. And rewards should be unique armor/weapon skins, dyes, etc *but only last for the current season*. So if you get Season 1 Rewards, you get to show them off during Season 2, but if you fail to earn them at the end of Season 2 you do not get to use them during Season 3.

Edited by cashogy_reborn

I don't think participation is about rating loss. I think it is about having fun playing the game. No group with an average 800 rating is going to have fun playing a 1500 plus team. They might be good sports about the beating they just received, but they damn sure didn't have fun receiving it.

The PVP population is NOT to small. Queues pop every 5 minutes. What is to small is the ranked participation. Which is what this thread is about. Make your own thread about cross server that the devs have said to many times to count is "too hard"

Unless you would kindly wait 15-20 or more minutes for every pop, yes it is too small.

Face it, it's too late. And this "solution" would only make matters worse.

Unless you would kindly wait 15-20 or more minutes for every pop, yes it is too small.

Face it, it's too late. And this "solution" would only make matters worse.

I might agree with the too late part. But unless the EU servers are vastly more underpopulated than NA ones you are wrong about the number of people doing pvp in this game. Queues never take more than 5 minutes on POT5 unless it is the middle of the night, and there are always premades. There needs to be easier access to entry level rated pvp.