The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SW EP7 story supposedly to focus on Han, Luke, & Leia

ImmortalLowlife

When people enjoy a movie that is really the only thing that matters. Whether or not someone else agrees doesn't really matter. If I don't like something there isn't a way to convince me otherwise and I think that is the same with most people same as if I like something you are not going to convince me otherwise. Whether it has all the "shiny new toys or not" doesn't matter to me. What matters is if I like it or not. I also enjoyed all the Star Wars movies no matter if I liked Jar Jar Binks or not.

My thoughts exactly....some of my favorite movies were movies that never won Oscars, Emmys, or any other mainstream awards. But I'll always say that SuperFly, The Mack, & The Legend of Dolamite (super corny fight scenes & all lol) were some of the greatest movies ever made.

As far as SW movies, I fell in love with the OT when I was 5yrs old. I enjoyed the prequels because they gave me a glimpse of things I'd only imagined b4. The lightsaber fights in the prequels are more like what I'd expect from powerful force users. I'm still super excited for EP7. Even if it means they use body doubles & generous special effects to make the big three look like they're still in their mid 30's, bring jar jar back as a force ghost, & make Mara Jade a brunette...I'll still be standing in line at midnight wearing my Sith robes swinging a lightsaber.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pointed out what irks *me* about the new movies and their fighting scenes, if you don't care then why the need to start an argument?

The short fight between Obi and Vader in EP4 was the most realistic saber fight. If you flail around like a muppet all the opponent has to do is stick his saber out and let you skewer yourself into it. A fencing style would most likely be the most effective one with a weapon such as a lightsaber truth be told, as killing with it requires literally no momentum or strenght at all. It will go through a person like they were water.

Of course, that would be considered gay as hell, and the movie would be terrible. :D

While we're at it why don't we ask that in a galaxy with all this technology and blasters/turbo lasers why do they travel slower than bullets where they can so easily be dodged/deflected?

Bunch of hipsters in khaki pants, fake glasses and vest shirts arguing whether or not a bloch of paint is neo-post-modernism is hardly the same as what you see here.

It's not exactly the same, but it's not far off the mark. People are seriously arguing about what they think constitutes good filmmaking, and expecting to sway the the other.....

I came into this thread to catch up on some ep 7 news and instead got the above.

Edited by Telaan

While we're at it why don't we ask that in a galaxy with all this technology and blasters/turbo lasers why do they travel slower than bullets where they can so easily be dodged/deflected?

I'm sure you can find the answer in wookieepedia if you really care that much. Also, they are only dodgeable to a Force user due to that minute precognition thingy.

From all that you have said it is apparent that you are easily amused by the shiny effects on screen and have no idea what constitutes a great film.
Well lets take a closer look at that shall we?

1. Yet you've yet to provide substantial evidence to support that claim. Yet simply by comparing a classic like Gone with the Wind a considerably improvement in acting quality can be observed. Anyone who can't see that is being willfully blind. Cinema always was a business. To deny that is to be idealistic. That said business and quality can go hand in hand and there is nothing categorical that states a good use of CGI cannot enrich one's movie going experience.

2. So cat videos? That's your evidence? OK then. In the last decade plenty of films have received Academy Awards for excellent storytelling and have been critically acclaimed for excellent storytelling. I implore you to look them up. And the oldest film I've enjoyed was probably Star Wars. Which unsurprisingly was pioneering in a new age of cinema.

3. No it won't be. It will be an Abrams movie injected with the combined excellence of all the names I just listed. Many of which are veterans from the OT. They have the potential to make a very very good movie. You yourself admitted Abrams is "pretty good at what he does" yet think his films are "predictable." Well 1. Star Wars is some off the wall dynamic film, its a classic story, and 2. these individuals I've mentioned will bring in what Abrams is lacking.

4. Care to explain how any of these critically acclaimed, and in most cases award winning films are so very very terrible that whoever holds them up as stellar productions must be doing so to deliberately antagonize? Let me guess, the experts in their field also can't see good storytelling, good acting and good use of special effects either.

I honestly feel sorry for you pal, you must wake up in the morning and look out of the window only to gaze upon a hellish landscape of anarchy and chaos, an I doubt you've enjoyed a movie going experience for decades...

The only recent movies that I've found to be awful are The Last Airbender and The Twilight "Saga" (which went from hilarious to boring to mind-numbingly terrible). But then, I don't watch every movie that comes out.

Anyway, I think the new Star Wars movies will be good if they are done right.

It's not exactly the same, but it's not far off the mark. People are seriously arguing about what they think constitutes good filmmaking, and expecting to sway the the other.....

I came into this thread to catch up on some ep 7 news and instead got the above.

Apologies my friend, but when someone claims that today's cinema is a joke I'm can't help but object.

As to whether there are objective standards of entertainment... I think we've certainly established our own else films wouldn't be rated and awards would not be given. But there comes a point when its all just personal taste.

How does a human end up mating with a Gran? :confused:

Pretty sure he meant grand daughter and if you knew and were just joking well...:p anyway doubt that. This would require that Obi-Wan would be married and have children of his own, which seems OOC for him. Sure he can love, but marriage and children?...Don't see that.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Pretty sure he meant grand daughter and if you knew and were just joking well...:p anyway doubt that. This would require that Obi-Wan would be married and have children of his own, which seems OOC for him. Sure he can love, but marriage and children?...Don't see that.

Yeah, I knew what was meant. The opportunity for a joke was too hard to pass up. :D

Unless it turns out Satine Gryz had a child with him that she hid from him...

Unless it turns out Satine Gryz had a child with him that she hid from him...

Nah, don't see that, sure they had a romantic relationship but I don't think it was like that. Their relationship never really developed to warrent something as such.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Nah, don't see that, sure they had a romantic relationship but I don't think it was like that. Their relationship never really developed to warrent something as such.

Meh, it was enough for him to Leave the Order... Most likely explanation.

Meh, it was enough for him to Leave the Order... Most likely explanation.

Left the Order? When?...

Edit: Oh wait I see...but that was when he was still young and it was an offer. I doubt an older Obi-Wan would do so considering his character.

But anyway...like all things, am gonna just take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Actually both Van Gogh and Emily Dickinson were considered hacks in their day. In fact, the idea of standard objective measures of worth don't even hold up in science. Copernicus' discoveries were derided as the ravings of a lunatic in his day, as were many of DaVinci's inventions.

To say that art has any objective standards is to demonstrate a poor understanding of art.

As for the new Ep. 7 movies we can't really use the pre-quels as accurate predictors of success since no one involved with those films are involved with the new trilogy.

This is exactly my point. Van Gogh still had his paintings on display in galleries and Emily Dickenson still had many of her works published before they were considered "great'. Copernicus' theories were unsubstantiated at the time and Da Vinci was commissioned to create many of his inventions. In the court of public opinion things can sway one way or the other, but those who are knowledgeable and experienced will maintain an open mind and see the quality of the work regardless of how much it personally appeals to them.

Well lets take a closer look at that shall we?

1. Yet you've yet to provide substantial evidence to support that claim. Yet simply by comparing a classic like Gone with the Wind a considerably improvement in acting quality can be observed. Anyone who can't see that is being willfully blind. Cinema always was a business. To deny that is to be idealistic. That said business and quality can go hand in hand and there is nothing categorical that states a good use of CGI cannot enrich one's movie going experience.

You provided the evidence yourself by claiming how excellent movies like Avengers were for you. You also claim and I quote.

And in so far of the Abram's films I've watched I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them and if they new movies are of the same standard I will be happy.

The majority of his films if not all of late have been special effects driven action blockbusters. Its obvious that is what interests you.

I for one like a little substance to my films and I'm hoping that Star Wars can finally get back to that.

Now where is this evidence that supports your claim that acting quality has improved considerably?

2. So cat videos? That's your evidence? OK then. In the last decade plenty of films have received Academy Awards for excellent storytelling and have been critically acclaimed for excellent storytelling. I implore you to look them up. And the oldest film I've enjoyed was probably Star Wars. Which unsurprisingly was pioneering in a new age of cinema.

This was my advise to you 3 pages ago but you shunned it claiming you had no need to look anything up because you would know good storytelling by how "enjoyable" it was to you. This is obviously proven false by you choice in movies. So again I implore you, try watching something that is not just about eyecandy like a historical drama or maybe a biography then you can actually be credible.

Star Wars..I rest my case.

3. No it won't be. It will be an Abrams movie injected with the combined excellence of all the names I just listed. Many of which are veterans from the OT. They have the potential to make a very very good movie. You yourself admitted Abrams is "pretty good at what he does" yet think his films are "predictable." Well 1. Star Wars is some off the wall dynamic film, its a classic story, and 2. these individuals I've mentioned will bring in what Abrams is lacking.

How can it be "off the wall dynamic" and a "classic story" all at the same time? Your using words that you don't understand again.

You can hope all you want but supposedly one writer has already quit do to conflicts with Abrams. Hopefully Lawrence Kasdan will actually be able to put his mark on these films.

4. Care to explain how any of these critically acclaimed, and in most cases award winning films are so very very terrible that whoever holds them up as stellar productions must be doing so to deliberately antagonize? Let me guess, the experts in their field also can't see good storytelling, good acting and good use of special effects either.

LOL Avengers was not critically acclaimed and definitely didn't win many if any awards of relevance.

I honestly feel sorry for you pal, you must wake up in the morning and look out of the window only to gaze upon a hellish landscape of anarchy and chaos, an I doubt you've enjoyed a movie going experience for decades...

This just proves you ignorance. I have enjoyed many many films from documentaries to love stories to dramas and action flicks regardless of whether or not I thought they were of high quality. I've seen hundreds if not thousands of movies that were absolute crap that I absolutely loved. That is the difference between you and I. I have the experience and the open-mindedness to recognize and admit that a movie I enjoyed was utter trash.

These movies are going to be made by the same production company and have some of the same writers on board. The execs will also most likely be the same. The only real difference of note will be JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan. I will be crossing my fingers on this one.

This is exactly my point. Van Gogh still had his paintings on display in galleries and Emily Dickenson still had many of her works published before they were considered "great'. Copernicus' theories were unsubstantiated at the time and Da Vinci was commissioned to create many of his inventions. In the court of public opinion things can sway one way or the other, but those who are knowledgeable and experienced will maintain an open mind and see the quality of the work regardless of how much it personally appeals to them.

You provided the evidence yourself by claiming how excellent movies like Avengers were for you. You also claim and I quote.

The majority of his films if not all of late have been special effects driven action blockbusters. Its obvious that is what interests you.

I for one like a little substance to my films and I'm hoping that Star Wars can finally get back to that.

Now where is this evidence that supports your claim that acting quality has improved considerably? This was my advise to you 3 pages ago but you shunned it claiming you had no need to look anything up because you would know good storytelling by how "enjoyable" it was to you. This is obviously proven false by you choice in movies. So again I implore you, try watching something that is not just about eyecandy like a historical drama or maybe a biography then you can actually be credible.

Star Wars..I rest my case.

How can it be "off the wall dynamic" and a "classic story" all at the same time? Your using words that you don't understand again.

You can hope all you want but supposedly one writer has already quit do to conflicts with Abrams. Hopefully Lawrence Kasdan will actually be able to put his mark on these films.

LOL Avengers was not critically acclaimed and definitely didn't win many if any awards of relevance.

This just proves you ignorance. I have enjoyed many many films from documentaries to love stories to dramas and action flicks regardless of whether or not I thought they were of high quality. I've seen hundreds if not thousands of movies that were absolute crap that I absolutely loved. That is the difference between you and I. I have the experience and the open-mindedness to recognize and admit that a movie I enjoyed was utter trash.

1. I never claimed Avengers was and excellent movie, please stop putting words in my mouth. And the majority of Abram's films have been special effects driven action blockbusters. Does that make them bad films? No. Because the special effects were superb, as was the cinematography and the acting. And they've one awards in these categories too. Are his stories incredible? No, but they are certainly not bad, and there are others to bring them up to scratch.

2. No you didn't, you asked me to look up good storytelling. I'm asking you to look up films that have been acclaimed for good storytelling, because you can't see to see them. And lol why would I watch a historical drama or a biography for examples of good storytelling? Non-fictional works funnily enough are not stories.

Oh and glady, watch

and tell me that's good acting. I'd throw up if that was what we got in Star Wars. Heck even the acting in the OT was a little shoddy in parts. I do not now where you get the idea that it was better back then.

3. I meant "not" some off the wall, apologies there. And by that I meant that to Star Wars is very similar to the kind of stories Abrams has directed, he deals with classic tropes which in some ways may be predictable but at the same time produce great films. Super 8 being in my opinion a good example, it itself being a throwback to those "heydays" that you seem to be infatuated with. To put it simply he has the right approach. I'd much rather him than someone more dynamic like Christopher Nolan who might inject something unwanted into the film.

And you shouldn't believe everything you read in the news, let me guess it was from "a knowledgeable source."

4. I don't know if you need reading glasses or are just messing with me. But Avengers was never in that list and never have I claimed it an excellent film, I said it was mediocre, and that is reflected by the fact it did not win any awards aside from special effects. Allow me to remind you of the list:

X-Men, Lord of the Rings, The Dark Knight, Inception, Life of Pi, Gravity and Avatar.

Please explain to me how all of those or any of those are bad films.

And yet the Academy Awards are still held annually. Funny that. But anyway, if you regard the above films to be bad and expect Star Wars to be of the same quality. Then we really have nothing to debate over here, Star Wars in your eyes is going to be a critically acclaimed, award winning film, and I wouldn't class that as a disappointment.

I also find it very hard to believe that you can absolutely love a film for it to be trash. Appreciation of cinema and quality of cinema go hand in hand. Only good storytelling can move us, only excellent special effects can thrill us, only stellar acting can convince us and only excellent cinematography can suck us in. If you end up absolutely loving the next Star Wars movie like you did those films, I hardly think you can class that as a disappointment.

But please, give me an example of a film with a bad story, crappy special effects, poor acting and bad directing that you "absolutely love" - and while your at it tell me whatever you took to make that film enjoyable.

EDIT: Avengers for example, was a mediocre film. But I (if only partially) and others were swept away by the stunning visuals and excellent acting. Which made us forget how bad the story was. And so many people enjoyed it. But they only enjoyed it because it had some very good qualities. If it were all bad, nobody would have liked it.

Edited by Beniboybling

The only recent movies that I've found to be awful are The Last Airbender and The Twilight "Saga" (which went from hilarious to boring to mind-numbingly terrible). But then, I don't watch every movie that comes out.

Lol I remember watching a bit of Twilight and feeling nauseated. :p

Oh god.... its just so SAD Avatar the last airbender had to be one of if not still my favorite animated show of all time, the injustice that movie did to that franchise was just so wrong. I hope you have actually seen the original TV series and not just the Movie. The series deserves a watch but that Movie...... my god it was bad.

Oh god.... its just so SAD Avatar the last airbender had to be one of if not still my favorite animated show of all time, the injustice that movie did to that franchise was just so wrong. I hope you have actually seen the original TV series and not just the Movie. The series deserves a watch but that Movie...... my god it was bad.

The animated show is one of my favorite shows ever. It was very disappointed to see it turn out like that. But it is Shyamalan.

I heard some rumors that there will be a sequel.

The animated show is one of my favorite shows ever. It was very disappointed to see it turn out like that. But it is Shyamalan.

I heard some rumors that there will be a sequel.

They set it up for a sequel and I think there was SUPPOSED to be one, but after the GIANT flop I highly doubt there will ever be.

I hope they give it to a better director and try to do it again in a few years. It deserves a wider audience.