Technically Speaking: The Music - Where's the Movie Score?

Sinseia

As the title states.

Where's the 6 movies wealth of fantastic symphony-orchestra music whilst within Galactic Starfighter matches?

Why was "Star Wars" music cut out of this great mode, in favor of Synthesized generic canned music?

The trailers for Galactic Starfighter all are loaded with the movie music... but once you get into a match? Welcome to forgettable generic synth music!

It makes no sense to me and yes, before you say it, I already know you don't care or that you turn off the music so you can listen to your Adele album instead.

I, on the other hand, love Star Wars music and wanted to hear some while I was in a fight in this game.

Edited by Sinseia

As the title states.

Where's the 6 movies wealth of fantastic symphony-orchestra music whilst within Galactic Starfighter matches?

Why was "Star Wars" music cut out of this great mode, in favor of Synthesized generic canned music?

The trailers for Galactic Starfighter all are loaded with the movie music... but once you get into a match? Welcome to forgettable generic synth music!

It makes no sense to me and yes, before you say it, I already know you don't care or that you turn off the music so you can listen to your Adele album instead.

I, on the other hand, love Star Wars music and wanted to hear some while I was in a fight in this game.

Just because music is in a trailer doesn't mean it will be in a game. To me it makes sense for a good portion of the 'space' themes used in the movies not to be in GSF purely because they would not fit with the gameplay. The 'Tie-Fighter' attack being one of them. The only way that could be incorporated would be in some butchered loop version of it and that would just get annoying after a while considering GSF fights go on for 15 mins most of the time.

Also the music doesn't sound 'generic canned' to me. It definitely has a TOR element to it and to a degree that is one of the good points of it, as it fits the era rather than it being from thousands of years in the future ;)

For them to use the movie score they would have to chop it up and butcher it first. I prefer games to use their own scores as they always ruin the movie ones.

Also SWTOR's music is hardly generic and it is done in the same style as the original scores. I suggest

if you don't believe me.

Well, in my opinion the music is generic and just as forgettable as any soundtrack to any episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Do those episodes have music in them? They sure do. Do you remember any of it beyond the title track? Nope.

This is just my opinion. I also don't believe even including small snippets of the movie music for triggered events is "butchering" anything.

X-Wing did it, TIE Fighter did it. X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter did it. X-Wing Alliance did it. Rogue Squadron did it.

Where does Galactic Starfighter fall when compared to those games?

The exclusion of any shred of star wars music just further pushes the game away from the source material. One more small drop of this, into an already deeply filled bucket.

There is this thing in Star Wars know as "worldising" That is to say every world was meant to have its own feel and the music score played a large part in this and was fitting for the environment.

The environments, particularly Kuat, are nothing like anything in the movies and it would not be appropriate to use the movie music. I for one find the music well done and some of the deep notes particularly fit the space environment.

Although I am annoyed that some of the music got copied into the ground pvp where it does not fit at all.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be original music. You are right that locations, specifically planets, do deserve their own musical flavor.. just like Lucas puts in specific color schemes for specific worlds.

I'm just saying that the exclusion of ANY AND ALL Star Wars music, is irresponsible and a bad design decision.

Well to be fair the original music gets beaten to death. If I had a dime for every Sw game that cuts out the same sequence from the Battle over Coruscant and from IV and VI space scenes I would be a millionaire.

Also I do recommend that link in my first post, the score for this game isn't bad at all when listened all the way through, sure its not John Williams but its dang good for any game and surpasses quite a few movie scores.

I've listened to the main theme of this game in the character selection screen. I know it very well.

It is the best original music in SWTOR.

And any track from the 6 movies is better than it. "Beaten to death" is a subjective viewpoint. Personally I'll never get tired of the music from the movies.

For them to use the movie score they would have to chop it up and butcher it first. I prefer games to use their own scores as they always ruin the movie ones.

Also SWTOR's music is hardly generic and it is done in the same style as the original scores. I suggest

if you don't believe me.

I love how this game kept all or most of the KOTOR tracks.

Why the hate about GSF music ? I love it !

There are parts of it that are reminders of main theme (character selection menu) and it's coherent with the rest of the game. And I think they are very good theme for ground-PvP as well. (Sorry Zoom_VI, but I disagree with you on that.)

Maybe GSF could have some more "tensed"/fast paced themes for when one team's victory start to take shape, but that's all. The GSF themes are good on their own.

Well, in my opinion the music is generic and just as forgettable as any soundtrack to any episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Do those episodes have music in them? They sure do. Do you remember any of it beyond the title track? Nope.

Not saying it's good for a dogfight but it is memorable.

Edited by RebekahWSD