Where did you learn all this lore

Aerilas

I visit these forums sometimes, and I see so many people discussing about lore I have never even heard of (which is about 95% of what I read here).

My question to you is, where can I find all this lore about so many jedi and sith I've never heard of.

For a start watch the Galactic History clips from this website. That is assuming you haven't already. It is a nice overview of most of the EU preceding SWTOR.

Then if you are interested in details I would suggest you just search the things out on Wookieepedia. There may be some mistakes somewhere but generally the articles are well-written, with appropriate citations.

For me it's a lot of accumulated knowledge (some admittedly half-remembered) from reading Star Wars EU fiction for decades. Started reading the comics 19 or 20 years ago just after Dark Empire came out on audio-book, and started on the novels with Heir to the Empire around the same time.

Since then I read whatever comic series struck me as interesting and most of the main novels plus the Young Jedi Knights series; I did lose interest during the end of the Bantam era, though, so I never finished Planet of Twilight or read any of the Bantam books that came after it (I really do need to read the Hand of Thrawn books someday), but since Del Rey got the license and did New Jedi Order I've read all the "main" novels.

Also played a fair number of the video games, especially the Dark Forces series, Shadows of the Empire, the Force Unleashed games, and the Knights of the Old Republic RPGs. Plus I got a few of the Essential Guides (Ships, Planets, and Characters, I believe) back in the day, which filled me in on the most important pieces from novels I skipped.

Sometimes I'll take a wiki-walk through Wookieepedia. Whenever one of the novels I'm reading or games I'm playing introduces something I vaguely remember or that just seems particularly interesting, I'll usually punch up the Wookieepedia entry on it (after I'm done with the novel or game, so I don't accidentally spoil myself).

"'Dromund Kaas', that sounds really familiar, where do I know that name from?" *typetypetype* "Oh right, that's where that Mysteries of the Sith game took place, and where the Prophets of the Darkside were from, I kind of remember something about them..." *click* "Oh yeah, these guys... man, thank God I never bothered to read that Jedi Prince series, that looks awful." *click* "A 'mofference' on the 'moffship'... wow, that author must have been high."

As other have said, books and games are the main source. If a charactrer or an event comes up that I don't recognize, I jump onto Wookieepedia to fill the gap and it all just sort of becomes this huge ball of "knowing random stuff that no one should care about as much as they do" :)

I decided not to follow the EU lore into the "unknown regions". Hoiwever, the Gree, for example, were invented by the makers of the original Star Wars Role Playing Game, then at West End Games (WEG) in the early 90s.

WEG basically did all of thr ground work the EU sits upon. Inclusive some very wrong ground work, which doesn't correspond well with the movies (Exa,mple : Yularen and his white uniform, which apparently is an High Admiral's uniform, like the one of Thrawn, or the feet of the Arcona species - El-Les from The Clone Wars vs. Hem Dazon from The Cantina).

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I visit these forums sometimes, and I see so many people discussing about lore I have never even heard of (which is about 95% of what I read here).

My question to you is, where can I find all this lore about so many jedi and sith I've never heard of.

Books. Or Wookieepedia if you just want to browse the lore without having to buy anything.

Me.....books mainly. I own & have read every book from rogue planet to crucible. And I've played every console sw game ever released. I'm still not as deep into the lore as a lot of ppl here, but I know enough to hold my own in a SW conversation.

*drops mic & tries desperately to sell anybody my copy of "Obi-wan" for the Xbox LOL

A good start is to read a few EU-books. Then accidentally drop into a few discussions with a hardcore jedi-fan who really adores OT-black-white-ethics. Next read him argue that Jedi are not simply warrior monks with a little precognition and psychokinesis but physical gods who can singlehandedly defeat armies, throw whole fleets of star-destroyers through a star system, transform water to wine and should generally rule the galaxy due to their supreme wisdom.

Check those statements on wookiepedia. Learn that the most excessive claims about their powers can be sourced in the EU. The Result is:

1) You learn a lot about the SW-EU.

2) You stop to take it even peripherally serious. :)

Edited by drakensang