pay to win

DarthSchmoe

Starfighter is absolutely pay to win at least at the early goings. Cartel coins make it easier to upgrade your ships which make it easier to win. so lame

you can only use CC to convert ship to fleet req, which only lets you unlock the other ships sooner which i have blown up with the starting ships.

as many have said Skill over Upgrades.

You can use ship requisite for upgrades not just buying ships. No doubt skill certainly is the overriding factor. I can do ok with a stock ship. However, you cannot deny the advantage of having an upgraded ship when skill level is on equal footing.

You can use ship requisite for upgrades not just buying ships. No doubt skill certainly is the overriding factor. I can do ok with a stock ship. However, you cannot deny the advantage of having an upgraded ship when skill level is on equal footing.

You have to earn that ship req by playing, paying CCs only lets you convert that ship req into fleet req. That fleet req can either be used to unlock extra ships or to purchase upgrades for other ships. If you convert the daily/weekly req you get for each ship and use it to buy upgrades for a single ship, you can upgrade one ship faster, but you'll leave the others completely un-upgraded. So if you suddenly decide to fly a different ship, you'll actually find yourself at a disadvantage.

its ship req to fleet req, unless I got it backwards I don't think it goes the otherway, plus the daily and weekly quests with the matches themselves give out a large amount of ship requisition anyway, fleet is the one that takes time and it only unlocks ships and crewmembers

Edited by Sangrar

Well, the conversion allows you convert Req from dailies and weeklies, essesntially giving you Req "for free" since you didn't have to fly those other ships to earn it. While you don't need the upgrades to do well, they certainly help a lot, granted they benefit some ships more than others.

It is basically Pay2UpgradeFaster. But none of the upgrades are anything that are exclusive to Cartel customers. It is like someone using an experience boost on their character, but that is about it. They are paying for a temporary advantage. At some point, the guys not using coins will catch up in upgrades.

that's a general misconception as skill is never equal, no matter how much you wanna tell yourself you're as good as, or better than; there's always someone better than you... eventually even the top gets dethroned...

for it to be pay to win they'd have to sell stuff that gives you a significant advantage above anything you can get in game through normal means...

Edited by Elly_Dawn

It is basically Pay2UpgradeFaster.
This. In my opinion GSF has several issues, but Pay to Win is not one of them. Yes, fully upgraded ship vs. basic loadout ship leads (or may lead) to unbalanced matches, but there the problem lies in matchmaking, not in the ability to buy upgrades faster.

its ship req to fleet req, unless I got it backwards I don't think it goes the otherway, plus the daily and weekly quests with the matches themselves give out a large amount of ship requisition anyway, fleet is the one that takes time and it only unlocks ships and crewmembers

Yes, it is ship to fleet req conversion. However, fleet reqs can be used to be upgrades for any ship in your hanger. So, here's the scenario, unlock as many ships as you can. Then do your daily and weekly with one ship. Each ship now gets reqs (3250 from the weekly and daily) and you get 500 fleet reqs. Now, use cartel coins to convert those ship reqs from the ships you don't fly or seldom fly, to fleet reqs. Now, spend the fleet reqs and ship reqs (total of 23250) to upgrade the one ship you really like to fly. When this started I didn't see it as pay to win, but the more I watch what's happening, the more I think it really could be.

Another thing to consider is the cartel scout, it represents the flashfire/sting which requires 5000 fleet to unlock.

Where as the Striker represents the starter model. While I don't believe in calling the unlock scout/striker tier 2 as they are not improved craft simply different. The Sting/flashfire open another combat role more so then the Quell/pike does .

Put more simply, to buy the cartel scout is to pay money to get rewards grinding Requsition is required for otherwise. Therefor in some respects the Cartel Scout is P2W. Especially when you factor the currently OP burst laser mechanic on that scout.

i love it when people make these threads and have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

i know right... they're complaining about something that can be equated to "Pay to be on Par", but definitely not "to win" as that second scout doesn't even require CC to buy, it takes Fleet Req which you earn by playing the game, so nothing is being sold for real money that does not have an in-game acquirable equivalent...

maybe i didnt see the option, but ive had 5k fleet req saved up and when i dont have enough ship req to upgrade i dont see anything that says use fleet req or anything along those lines.

Click to buy the upgrade and read the box. It'll tell you "This will use N Fleet Requisition" in red, just above the purchase button.

Click to buy the upgrade and read the box. It'll tell you "This will use N Fleet Requisition" in red, just above the purchase button.

well thats why i didnt see it then, still i would rather stock up on my fleet req and unlock other ships (when we get more) and better companions.

well thats why i didnt see it then, still i would rather stock up on my fleet req and unlock other ships (when we get more) and better companions.

No argument from me on that. I have 11k saved up. LOL I just put out the explanation for how it could be seen as pay to win. (And I'm beginning to think it might actually be.)

No argument from me on that. I have 11k saved up. LOL I just put out the explanation for how it could be seen as pay to win. (And I'm beginning to think it might actually be.)

yea that kind of is, but if you think about it everyone playing right now is subbed, so they get 500 cc a month and its only 1 cc for every 25 requisition. i converted for both my toons to unlock both ships so anyone playing right now can convert the ship to fleet req and unlock there stuff so im not too sure what the OP is complaining about, unless they spent it all on other stuff and are now disapointed they have to wait or spend money which is their own problem frankly.

for pre/f2p yea its a little unfair, but its also not hard to go to your local check chashing place (for me its california check cashing) and get a prepaid credit card and load $5 on it. and honestly if you cant afford $5 then upgrading your ship should be your last concern lol.

Another thing to consider is the cartel scout, it represents the flashfire/sting which requires 5000 fleet to unlock.

Where as the Striker represents the starter model. While I don't believe in calling the unlock scout/striker tier 2 as they are not improved craft simply different. The Sting/flashfire open another combat role more so then the Quell/pike does .

Put more simply, to buy the cartel scout is to pay money to get rewards grinding Requsition is required for otherwise. Therefor in some respects the Cartel Scout is P2W. Especially when you factor the currently OP burst laser mechanic on that scout.

^^ This.

As for the rest of it being P2W, no no.

It's pay to sacrifice.

So you want to spend the time flying 3 ships long enough to earn the 2x req, then pay the conversion to spend it all on one ship?

For starters, that only goes so far before the 2x req is gone, and in doing this, not only are you leaving yourself barren of fleet req for buying the upcoming ships, but you are leaving all but the one ship of yours completely naked.

Is that really pay to win???

Not in my eyes, it's pay to gimp your hangar in order to upgrade a single ship faster.

Stupid move for anyone who realizes that a team needs certain roles in the field to be a success, and if you can only fill one of those roles, your usefulness just took a hard nosedive.

Lastly, to get that 2x req in the first place, you still have to spend the time flying the other ships, which are naked because you continually pay to drain their earnings, meaning you now only spend part of your time in an equipped ship, and most of your earnings are made in stripped down basic ships.

Is that pay to win??

I think it's just a bad way to go about getting gains.

You have to earn that ship req by playing, paying CCs only lets you convert that ship req into fleet req. That fleet req can either be used to unlock extra ships or to purchase upgrades for other ships. If you convert the daily/weekly req you get for each ship and use it to buy upgrades for a single ship, you can upgrade one ship faster, but you'll leave the others completely un-upgraded. So if you suddenly decide to fly a different ship, you'll actually find yourself at a disadvantage.

^ And this. If you want to actually have a nice fleet, you really just end up burning money for no reason anyway.

Edited by LeonBraun

yay another pay to win clueless thread.

pay to win definition would be if you can buy something with real money from say the cartel market that no one else has access to unless they do same and it has superior stats/abilities etc that normal things in game dont give you.

GSF ship req's to fleet req is not a superior item, its not only available to cartel market, the ships off cartel market dont have any advantage so wheres the pay to win?

dont want to use cartel coint to change ship req's to fleet then dont, your ship wont have less of an advantage.

please dont come back with they will have full upgraded ship, they will win. GSF is about skill 1st and formost, upgrades help but dont determine winner.

For starters, that only goes so far before the 2x req is gone, and in doing this, not only are you leaving yourself barren of fleet req for buying the upcoming ships, but you are leaving all but the one ship of yours completely naked.

Is that really pay to win???

Not in my eyes, it's pay to gimp your hangar in order to upgrade a single ship faster.

Stupid move for anyone who realizes that a team needs certain roles in the field to be a success, and if you can only fill one of those roles, your usefulness just took a hard nosedive.

At this point, the scout and strike fighters serve the same purpose (dogfighting superiority). Gunships serve a separate purpose, but requisition isn't so hard to get that one can't afford to upgrade two or three ships by using cartel coins to transfer over daily and weekly bonuses. And when there are so many duplicate ships (Gladiator and Ocula) as well as ones that are simply bad compared to others (Blackbolt and Quell, at least in my hands), and most of the community seems to agree that strikes are not as effective as scouts in many areas, I see little reason to upgrade my whole hanger.

Because skill is such a huge factor in this game, the fact that your other ships are not upgraded is not a huge deal. Upgrades are important in a close match, but for farm matches, it's not a big deal.

I'm also not convinced it's a good idea to play alt ships for the daily double req and spend cartel coins to transfer the req over. You wouldn't play your strike fighter without the bonus req for the sole purpose of transferring to fleet req and upgrading your scout, which is what happens with around two thirds of the req you earn with the daily double up. I wouldn't play two matches on an alt ship for 500 req I have to pay cartel coins to transfer to the ship I want to use them on. I'd much rather just play an extra match for 750+ req.

From an objective, competitive point of view, you will maximize your req/hour by going for the daily doubles and converting to fleet. However, the gain is so small that it's hardly noticeable in the long run, even if you have the maximum number of ships.

On the other hand, if you're saving up for a ship that's not out yet (or if you're quitting soon and don't know what ship you'll want to play when you get back), you'll have to convert to fleet req anyway, so the daily doubles are much more worthwhile.

Edited by Armonddd

If I pay money, I can upgrade a desired ship faster than someone strictly playing. The daily/weekly rewards give ship req across your fleet which you can easily convert to fleet req and upgrade your desired ship faster. Maybe not pay to win, but certainly pay for a short term advantage. I get that things will even out eventually.

The one thing that has kept me from doing the double then splurge route is this....

I have no idea what the new zones will require. I could screw myself if Imax my scout by stripping my other ships, then the new zones are not scout friendly. Or GS or whatever. I dont know yet so I am Upgrading as I go and trying to make sure I save my CCs for what I want.

Just because you pay, doesnt mean you win. Some people pay to bank. Others pay to max faster. You play to win.

I have no idea what the new zones will require. I could screw myself if Imax my scout by stripping my other ships, then the new zones are not scout friendly. Or GS or whatever. I dont know yet so I am Upgrading as I go and trying to make sure I save my CCs for what I want.

This is true. Also, because I get bored easily with certain ships and play styles, I like to have upgraded variety to mix things up.