The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PVP build hybrid or full shield?

methicall

It depends on which type of tank you want to be. I play a vanguard as assault and tactics hybrid spec (casue assault has been nerfed so much). I am a dps but I tank in PVP sort of. I get protection from taunts and try to help out teammates by stunning enemies to prevent dmg from that enemy. If you want to go full tank then go full sheid spec. I know a tank on my server, his name is Naj I think. In a PVP match (was playing with 2 members from my guild) in a 4 vs 4 match (the ones with no revives). We killed the 2 dps after 5 minutes of constant hammering because they had a good healer (but so did we, but didn't have a tank). Then it was just Naj (the vanguard tank) and the heal left. It took us 10 minutes to bring them down. The healer kept heals up while Naj (tank) kept tanking and redirecting dmg from us, if we didn't have a heal (my guild mate who is a commando) Naj and that heal would have won. We finial managed to bring them down. This is a great example of showing that how good a tank can be if it is guarding a heal and heal keeps healing tank. So if you have a healer friend or guild mate who you are good friends with who is a healer and you play together a lot then you should go full tank spec. If you want to be a hybrid tank, shield spec/tactics (best bit for hybrid tanks) you can still tank it out and put out dmg but you are not as good as a full tank.

It depends on which type of tank you want to be. I play a vanguard as assault and tactics hybrid spec (casue assault has been nerfed so much). I am a dps but I tank in PVP sort of. I get protection from taunts and try to help out teammates by stunning enemies to prevent dmg from that enemy. If you want to go full tank then go full sheid spec. I know a tank on my server, his name is Naj I think. In a PVP match (was playing with 2 members from my guild) in a 4 vs 4 match (the ones with no revives). We killed the 2 dps after 5 minutes of constant hammering because they had a good healer (but so did we, but didn't have a tank). Then it was just Naj (the vanguard tank) and the heal left. It took us 10 minutes to bring them down. The healer kept heals up while Naj (tank) kept tanking and redirecting dmg from us, if we didn't have a heal (my guild mate who is a commando) Naj and that heal would have won. We finial managed to bring them down. This is a great example of showing that how good a tank can be if it is guarding a heal and heal keeps healing tank. So if you have a healer friend or guild mate who you are good friends with who is a healer and you play together a lot then you should go full tank spec. If you want to be a hybrid tank, shield spec/tactics (best bit for hybrid tanks) you can still tank it out and put out dmg but you are not as good as a full tank.

Thanks for the reply. What is the shield/spec/tactics hybrid build? This sounds like what I am looking for.

Hybrid spec with def gear is viable when there is a pocket healer or the opponents are AoE dealers or i/e.

In different circumstances full shield tech is better since it can survive without the healer and protect more members of the team. Single target attacks without the healer hug have no defence.

Edited by Aetideus

My full shield spec Vanguard in mostly PVE gear (I had a couple of pieces of conquerors) dominated in Novare Coast the other day. Over 100K in protection, 15 medals, lots of kills. I am wondering if I even need expertise for my vanguard in some warzones. I'm basically giving up Health for lots of Damage but I'm a tank do I really want to do that?

My full shield spec Vanguard in mostly PVE gear (I had a couple of pieces of conquerors) dominated in Novare Coast the other day. Over 100K in protection, 15 medals, lots of kills. I am wondering if I even need expertise for my vanguard in some warzones. I'm basically giving up Health for lots of Damage but I'm a tank do I really want to do that?

Nice troll.

Full HP Tank with PvE Gear:

HP: 52155

Defense Chance: 14%

Shield Chance: 39.15%

Shield Absorbtion: 39.35%

Damage Reduction (Armor): 52.47%

Damage Reduction (Players): 6.1%

Full HP Tank with PvP Gear:

HP: 41727

Defense Chance: 11.15%

Shield Chance: 34.84%

Shield Absorbtion: 37.65%

Damage Reduction (Armor): 49.34%

Damage Reduction (Players): 37.5%

So lets ignore the shield/absorb/defense for a second. The damage taken in full PvE gear is 1.6 * (100-52.47) * (1-(6.1/100)), or 71.4% damage taken. On the other hand, the PvP Gear gives 1.6 * (100 - 49.34) * (1 - 0.375), or 50.66% damage taken.

So already, in Kinetic/Energy damage (which is affected by armor), the PvP gear has a clear advantage: PvE gear is taking 41% more damage, while only having an extra 25% HP.

"BUT THE MITIGATION STATS!" Can it. Not only does the PvP gear give better absorbtion (because of the pretty much 100% uptime of energy blast), but in PvP, Static Mitigation + HP is king. That is why for PvP you see people augmenting for HP instead of shield, absorb or defense.

So why did I go making this long elaborate post to basically say "You know nothing and suck, L2P Mate"? Its so if someone who wants to PvP tank comes into this thread (Because... I dont know, the thread title basically invites PvP tankers into it), doesn't make the stupid mistake this guy does. And if he is a troll, well I just gave enough evidence to prevent any more doubt to be sowed into the minds of the new tanks.