My Joystick STILL doesn't work...

DarthKurt

My Joystick STILL doesn't work... are you (the devs) going to add joystick support or not ?

Did you expect them to patch during Christmas? Your use of STILL is pretty funny here man.

They haven't announced a timeline or announced joystick support. I definitely feel it should happen, but goodness man, the game isn't even fully launched yet. I would literally not expect joysticks before april, soonest- and that's assuming that they do them, which I hope they will, because the two guys I know IRL who should be all over this game, that was their FIRST question.

Guys, there is a video on youtube of how to do this, long story short, using emulator software, you could play GSF with a guitar hero guitar if you really wanted to using emulation software.

I know it is not in game support, but hey, it's not like we have a flight sim or a shooter here, mmos generally dont need joystick support so I wouldn't hold my breath too long on Bioware doing it for ya

Guys, there is a video on youtube of how to do this, long story short, using emulator software, you could play GSF with a guitar hero guitar if you really wanted to using emulation software.

I know it is not in game support, but hey, it's not like we have a flight sim or a shooter here, mmos generally dont need joystick support so I wouldn't hold my breath too long on Bioware doing it for ya

But that takes work on the player's part! That's what we pay Bioware for, so we don't have to think or do things for ourselves! /rabblerabble :rolleyes:

I will say that what I really want is, the joystick controls the ship, period. Then a little nubbin at the top controls the cursor inside the big circle. This would allow you to do things that the ship should be able to do that the current controls don't support, such as turn sharp left while firing dead on or a bit to the right. The current controls mean that dogfighting at angles often requires odd snap movements to fire, then return back to an edge to continue turning, PURELY an artifact of the mouse control.

Of course you can make a joystick emulate a mouse. That's not what we want though. The joystick should control the ship, not a cursor. The cursor can be controlled otherwise.

I will say that what I really want is, the joystick controls the ship, period. Then a little nubbin at the top controls the cursor inside the big circle. This would allow you to do things that the ship should be able to do that the current controls don't support, such as turn sharp left while firing dead on or a bit to the right. The current controls mean that dogfighting at angles often requires odd snap movements to fire, then return back to an edge to continue turning, PURELY an artifact of the mouse control.

Of course you can make a joystick emulate a mouse. That's not what we want though. The joystick should control the ship, not a cursor. The cursor can be controlled otherwise.

Aha, I totally get where you are coming from now, yeah I suppose if you really are after the experience, bioware would need to help out as, well a joystick would work, but the mouse deal would be more annoying than it's worth.

Still, I wouldn't hold your breath as they would need to invest lots of time in re-configuring the interface to suit those things, and SWTOR already has a dedicated keyboard and mouse branded with RAZOR, so eek... I have a bad feeling you are SOL on this one

I would love this, but it would immediately become a requirement within the competitive community.

• 3 weeks later...
I look forward to the day it does get joystick support. Not because I want to use one, but because all of the joystick people will be easy kills, just like they are in MWO. A joystick is a terrible control mechanism for anything that's not an airplane, and GSF is no exception. Don't let your nostalgia get in the way of precision gameplay.

If they added joystick support they wouldn't be able to aim well without a lock to center option. Add the lock to center option and they become the equivalent of keyboard turners in ground pvp. They won't hit anything and will be easily killed.

If they added joystick support they wouldn't be able to aim well without a lock to center option. Add the lock to center option and they become the equivalent of keyboard turners in ground pvp. They won't hit anything and will be easily killed.

Yup. That's why I don't understand why people would WANT to use a joystick in an environment where most people will use keyboard and mouse: the joystick users will get slaughtered.

Personlly, I wish it was lock to center to begin with, but I think the genie is already out.

My Saitek x-52 Flight Controller needs some love...

Then go make love with it.

After you do, turn off SWTOR which is a MMORPG with a small space shooter arcade.

After that, launch a real flight simulator. And enjoy your controller.

Because I bet you they will not ever allow you to control ship with joystick and aiming with other means. All they could do is to allow you to aim with joystick, and then you would what? Then you would be here crying again because your precious loved controller would be useless in a space arcade minigame in a MMORPG.

These people who are knocking a flight controller have never used one. Mouse is on the throttle control, hat switch for view, rapid target selector, multiple firing controls, pitch, yawl, roll and thrust all in your hands... so much better than a simple mouse. You can really feel the game with a proper flight system. Too bad, this could have been a real winner...