The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Just another rant

jpswtor

Hi all,

I am very close to un-subbing from game. Not because I mind the content or I am getting bored, but rather because I seem to be much too old for the so called "community" these days.

I joined a RP server because I completely dislike PvP type playing. I try to stay out of PvP as much as I can but this game makes it extremely hard for me.

Why did you make PvP flagging viral? I Buff a PvP flagged player: Boom. I am flagged PvP. I heal a PvP flagged player, ding, also PvP for me. I toss a silly snowball at a PvP flagged player: Kazinnggg, I am flagged PvP. I look for too long at a PvP flagged player ... well, you get the picture.

To top it all, PvP flagged players are marked in GREEN! In GREEEN of all colours. I just cannot get used to "don't heal, don't talk to , don't trade with, don't interact in any way with players who's name is coloured green!".

Why not simply make PvP a player option on RP servers? Why does it have to trigger automatically at all?

The nasty thing about this PvP setting folly is that all PvP nutters out there think it is endlessly funny to stealth attack me while I am at low health fighting mobs on Illum for example. Or on Tatooine. Or on Voss. Or any other planet, where Imps and Republics share areas.

I don't feel like QTing out of game every 10 minuts because I accidentally collected PvP setting, un-toggle it and wait for 5 minuts twiddling my thumbs until I can rejoin without being ganked & camped.

Then there is the issue with "you can solo it, n00b" response whenever I kindly ask of someone wanted to join me to roam the realms together. I know, even most FPs can be solod if you have proper skill, gear, buffs and stims. But last I checked this was supposed to be a multi player game. So why complain about players that want to actually group up for more than a 5 minute quicky to get the H4 done?

The game actually makes it even more difficult to team up because once you found a few people kind enough to join for, lets say, gree event Xenoanalyst, you find out that they all have different locks on their chars. 8 Man HM? 16 man SM? 16 man HM? 8 man HM? Forget it. Half the team is already locked out on any of the possible combinations. What are those lock outs good for? The event is limited in time. I have a life. If the game continues at this pace, I will reach "legend" level with the gree in December 2019. And I will probably get my blue sphere speeder just before I go into retirement in 2037.

Or I could calm down, unsub and play tetris :)

Is anyone sharing my pain or am I just a "l2p n00b" old fart?

Cheers

JP

Hey JP,

Why did you make PvP flagging viral? I Buff a PvP flagged player: Boom. I am flagged PvP. I heal a PvP flagged player, ding, also PvP for me. I toss a silly snowball at a PvP flagged player: Kazinnggg, I am flagged PvP. I look for too long at a PvP flagged player ... well, you get the picture.

I hated this at first, too. But then, I adapted and now I simply won't do anything that would flag me. I won't heal flagged player, I won't buff him, I won't ress him if he dies (of course, I announce this upfront so everyone knows the situation).

Flagging through snowball was a surprise I admit, but one mistake was enough to teach me.

Then there is the issue with "you can solo it, n00b" response whenever I kindly ask of someone wanted to join me to roam the realms together. I know, even most FPs can be solod if you have proper skill, gear, buffs and stims. But last I checked this was supposed to be a multi player game. So why complain about players that want to actually group up for more than a 5 minute quicky to get the H4 done?

The "you can solo it" response is, in my experience, mostly given when someone asks for group for a solo mission. And even if the request was for a Heroic, sometimes the response is a honest advice; for example, I was very glad to learn that a stealther can solo the final H4 on Republic Alderaan, since finding group for it is nigh impossible (it's at the very end of the planet's storyline when everyone wants just to be done and leave).

The game actually makes it even more difficult to team up because once you found a few people kind enough to join for, lets say, gree event Xenoanalyst, you find out that they all have different locks on their chars. 8 Man HM? 16 man SM? 16 man HM? 8 man HM? Forget it. Half the team is already locked out on any of the possible combinations. What are those lock outs good for? The event is limited in time. I have a life. If the game continues at this pace, I will reach "legend" level with the gree in December 2019. And I will probably get my blue sphere speeder just before I go into retirement in 2037.

If people sign-up for things they are locked out, it's their own mistake. But an alternative to a weekly lockout in a limited event is probably something worth considering/suggesting.

Is anyone sharing my pain or am I just a "l2p n00b" old fart?

I shared some of the issues, so no, you are not alone. However, I also found workaround(s) and solution(s) to any and all of them.

I understand.

There is a game you can play where you don't have to live in fear of being killed by other players.

It's called DayZ.

I promise no one would ever kill you in that game.

- Arcada

Haha. Yeah. Funny one. Besides, I don't mind PvP and I don't mind getting "killed" occasionally when PvEing and not winning a fight. What I do mind is when PvP is forced upon me. Repeatedly and against my will. This is not what I consider fun. And to be honest, I don't see how backstabbing your fellow players when they are next to 0 health or recouperating from battle is in any way "fun" to do or challenging.

Actually you might suggest to those players if they wanted that level of excitement they where far better off playing Hello Kitty Roller Blade Racing than getting on other players nerves.

Cheers

JP

I hated this at first, too. But then, I adapted and now I simply won't do anything that would flag me. I won't heal flagged player, I won't buff him, I won't ress him if he dies (of course, I announce this upfront so everyone knows the situation).

Flagging through snowball was a surprise I admit, but one mistake was enough to teach me.

But that makes playing in larger groups next to impossible, especially for healers. You have to keep track of who is flagged and who is not and let them know they are not going to receive any heals from you during the FP or boss fight. Not nice. Viral PvP sucks. It disrupts cooperative gameplay.

The "you can solo it" response is, in my experience, mostly given when someone asks for group for a solo

mission.

Yeah? So what? I am so crazy, I even enjoy doing the story and progression missions in a group more than doing them solo. Lots of social points, more fun in dialogues (you get to see options you would not have chosen without any impact on your alignment, etc.), more XP and you never have to queue up for any heroics or flashpoints, since you are already in a balanced group anyhow. I think people always going solo as much as they possibly can miss out a lot on the game.

If people sign-up for things they are locked out, it's their own mistake. But an alternative to a weekly lockout in a limited event is probably something worth considering/suggesting.

I suggest to not have lock out at all. What is the purpose? If you are afraid of "farming", you could reduce the amount of rewards you can get from repeatedly doing quests. But you should be allowed to help your friends when they cannot find a group otherwise.

Anyhow. Have a merry Christmas everybody and have a Happy New Year, online and offline.

Cheers

JP

The flagged by a snowball thing is something I found out by accident too. Luckily for me, I was near the entrance of Xeno and didn't get attacked because the droid would have one shotted the player (Although, had I been a tank and not a dps Sin, I would have probably pulled them ... I'm so mean :'( )

I think the main reason that you get flagged for healing a flagged player in more long the lines of fairness then anything else. How would people feel if they were doing a 4v4 in the PVP Ilum and a non-flagged healer could heal the group without being able to get attacked?

If they were to allow players to turn it off completely, then they would more than likely have to make it where non-flagged players could not heal a flagged player, as it would result in 1 person having a group of healers to freely follow them around.

The snowball thing is just an unfortunate side-effect. I don't think they even considered that might happen, but since it's only on for a week or two, it's not enough to bother making a quickfix.

Maby they'll fix it for next years life day thingy.

As for the rest, I have never gotten flagged for PvP by buffing someone with the standard class buff.

Other buffs tho, thats a whole different story. That's because of the same reason that healing a flagged player gets you flagged.

Like someone said, if you wandered upon a PvP fight and you started buffing and healing one of the players, it would be really unfair to not flag you.

The simple answer is; don't buff or heal others unless you really really need to. And in that case, look to see if they are flagged first (it's not that hard to see).

That, and only do the snowball thing on fleet if you can't take a second to see if your target is flagged or not.

I discovered the snowball thing by accident as well, luckily I was on Coruscant.

I don't find pvp fun or exciting, but when I was leveling through Ald someone said in say "Hey, can you rez me?" so, I rezzed them, got flagged for pvp because they were pvp flagged and yay, didn't tell me they were a) flagged for pvp and b) had gotten killed by a 55 Jedi Shadow who was just 20 feet away waiting for him to rez.

Fun times were had by all. At least, I guess the Shadow had fun because he managed to kill me while my rezzed pvper ran off.

Edited by GibsonMcCoy
typo