Missile boats

Ludvosh

I've noticed a trend while playing this star fighter expansion, and it just takes me aback. It is this tactic of hovering and missile boating. If I wanted missile boats in a "dogfight" then we would have a missile carrier, like in the good ole days of Xwing vs Tie Fighter.

Yeah I see the need for missiles etc, I see the point of defending a cap point. But to just be lazy and lob missile in a dogfight area. I just say Wow.

I can speak with some authority that missile boats have no place in the current Scout/Gunship meta game. Even the fastest missile lock is easily broken by two abilities on any given scout and outranged by gunships, or just by flying close to a satellite.

To be fair the Pike (Tier 2 striker) is pretty much designed to "missile boat" since they can equip 2 missile types. They'd be somewhere along the lines of crazy/stupid to not take advantage of that to use a missile boat tactic when the opportunity arises. If you're in a Star Guard I guess you can do that but you're really not maximizing it's offensive strengths if you're doing that.

If missiles had a place in dogfighting, people would have started using them back in the 60's to shoot down opposing aircraft. There would also be schools and training programs dedicated to teaching it.

Oh wait.

I think I saw a documentary about this in the mid -1980's. ... narrated by Don Henley I believe.

I agree with the original poster. I also want to be dogfighting people in space, not have some lame *** missile boat / snipe fight. I absolutely 100% hate campers with such play styles.

Do scouts that circle the node the entire match qualify for your description as well?

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with the original poster. I also want to be dogfighting people in space, not have some lame *** missile boat / snipe fight. I absolutely 100% hate campers with such play styles.

Probably because we keep killing you time after time and you don't get a chance to damage us.

why is it that people hate campers? Camping is certainly what we do in real life because it's a valid and worthwhile tactic

In this game, however, it isnt so effective because any good scout will see and kill you.

Also, if there were no missiles, there would be no real reason to be a strike fighter.

why is it that people hate campers? Camping is certainly what we do in real life because it's a valid and worthwhile tactic

This isn't real life, it's a game. Spoiler alert, war isn't fun - war games are.

Also, in real life, you don't respawn.

I'm not sure what the problem is, to be honest. Pikes sitting still at satellites and lobbing missiles? As a Pike pilot myself, that seems to be rather suicidal to me, unless you're not fighting good pilots. It's far too easy for someone to get the jump on you and tear you apart (especially a scout with cooldowns).

For gunships at least it makes sense: it allows them to use a weapon far deadlier than missiles. Never mind that missiles can just as well be deployed while on the move, so there's not real advantage to this.

That is, other than the advantage of wedging yourself under cover and "hold" the satellite, I guess, but that has nothing to do with missile boats at ALL. Scouts, Star Guards, and Gunships all are known to do this. If the problem is that people sitting still make for silly gameplay, then fix THAT.

Personally, as has been suggested in another thread, I'd simply disable evasion while sitting still. That should be disadvantage enough, without actually stopping people from sitting motionless if that's what rocks their boat.

I've been flying the pike only since I unlocked it (was really happy to see it had 2 missile slots vs 2 gun slots) so I can fully upgrade it. My favorite tactic is to fire off a proton (REALLY effective now that I got the 2x speed) at long range then quickly switch to concussion missiles for the finish.

I avoid dog fighting at all costs and try to keep enemies far away and harass/kill/chase gunships as well as camp out on the sat. I'm still not very good but my scores are now the best they've been in two weeks of playing. Seem to be in the 4-7 range in kills and assists every match without many deaths and a good objective score. In most matches I notice I am the only one flying a Pike.

Edited by Kain_Turinbar

I've been flying the pike only since I unlocked it (was really happy to see it had 2 missile slots vs 2 gun slots) so I can fully upgrade it. My favorite tactic is to fire off a proton (REALLY effective now that I got the 2x speed) at long range then quickly switch to concussion missiles for the finish.

I avoid dog fighting at all costs and try to keep enemies far away and harass/kill/chase gunships as well as camp out on the sat. I'm still not very good but my scores are now the best they've been in two weeks of playing. Seem to be in the 4-7 range in kills and assists every match without many deaths and a good objective score. In most matches I notice I am the only one flying a Pike.

The Pike is my main, quite frankly, and I love it.

Maybe it's because it looks like an X-wing, in which case I suspect the 3rd strike will be my friend when it comes out, but for now I love the Pike. :)

I use Protorp and Clusters, myself, and it is pretty formidable. Not to mention the Quads, which generally are my main source of damage. I keep the concussions for my Starguard.

Maybe it's because it looks like an X-wing, in which case I suspect the 3rd strike will be my friend when it comes out, but for now I love the Pike. :)

I use Protorp and Clusters, myself, and it is pretty formidable. Not to mention the Quads, which generally are my main source of damage. I keep the concussions for my Starguard.

I must be unimaginative as Quads are the blasters I use on everything. They seem to be the best in range/dps on everything with I guess the only downside being increased power usage?

I also like its appearance and think it is X-wingish which is funny considering it IS a Starguard with a 3rd engine and V on top.

I've never tried clusters in a Strikefighter. They have a fast lock time from my IL 7 experience but I like the fast travel speed (high hit %) and damage of the Concussions. When going up against inexperienced gunships who are used to just autowinning head to head faceoffs they don't seem to know that with my shields boosted I can take a hit, live, and fire off both the proton torpedo and concussion missile.

Edited by Kain_Turinbar

I main a mastered Pike as well. Concussion with slow followed up with a double volley cluster = dead pretty much anything. With damage spec light laser cannons to eat up shields and stifle regen. That being said I do not play as a missle boat but more of a predator that favors hunting gunships.

Edited by Lendul