Coordinating Ranked PvP (solo and group)

Lockjaw

"I'm curious, if that is the 'word' on the streets, who did they beat up on? I've done a total of 8 arena matches, all of which were last night. I know 3 out of the 4 grouped with me were also doing their first 8 matches. It could be argued that the 3 of us were at one time among the best at our classes on the server. Regardless if anyone agrees with me or not is irrelevant, anyone dominating the server in arena isn't facing the best the server has to offer. Just my opinion. I know you know this though Cinerous, so I'm preaching to others I guess."

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=694432&page=20

Did you not say that you were the best at your class at one point? (not sure who the others you mention are) Are you still claiming to be the best? If so, you must be the best commando?

You said the dominant team hasn't faced the best the server has to offer. You are right because Revelation did transfer. But I think you were trying to imply they haven't faced you.

Edit: The spin stops here

Are you saying that you are Bill O'Riley and they entering a no spin zone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV_kxWstbAg

Edited by mmerry

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you not say that you were the best at your class at one point? (not sure who the others you mention are) Are you still claiming to be the best? If so, you must be the best commando?

It could be argued that the 3 of us were at one time among the best at our classes on the server.

Not sure how you see that there. Claiming I am among the best is not saying I'm the best. If I felt I was the best I would flat out say it. I still have a damage and dps screenshot from 4 or 5 months ago that ranks in the top 5 on the epeen thread, so I think I've at least proven I belong in the conversation. That is a far cry from saying I'm better than everyone else like you claim I was saying.

You said the dominant team hasn't faced the best the server has to offer. You are right because Revelation did transfer. But I think you were trying to imply they haven't faced you.

You are going to think it says what you want to. I am not ignorant of the fact that PD isn't relevant outside of regs right now. We have too many who play casually and take prolonged breaks in their gameplay, myself included, to be much else right now.

Edited by Nitromonger

Not sure how you see that there. Claiming I am among the best is not saying I'm the best. If I felt I was the best I would flat out say it. I still have a damage and dps screenshot from 4 or 5 months ago that ranks in the top 5 on the epeen thread, so I think I've at least proven I belong in the conversation. That is a far cry from saying I'm better than everyone else like you claim I was saying.

You are going to think it says what you want to. I am not ignorant of the fact that PD isn't relevant outside of regs right now. We have too many who play casually and take prolonged breaks in their gameplay, myself included, to be much else right now.

I never said anything about PD and their relevance in ranked or outside. I've always have had respect for PD but you made some statements regarding who could offer the best competition on this server and I assumed you were talking about you but I guess I was wrong.

Edit 1: Wildberry what toon are you doing group ranked in?

Edited by Iolus

As long as y'all queue against us when we're back up and ready again, it's all good. This should be happening within the next week or two.

In truth, our group is not able to get together all that often and has a relatively narrow window in which we can queue. Usually, this is between 7PM and 10PM on weekdays, with slightly more flexible hours on weekends. We are able to get together an average of 2-3 days per week, luck permitting, though sometimes we are unable to get together for weeks on end. We are willing to queue a maximum of approximately 40-50 minutes with no pops (usually less; I have to pull teeth to get 40 minutes). Sometimes after the initial wait we solo queue and/or do normal wz's, then try group ranked a couple more times for 5-20 minute intervals before doing more solos/normals until we stop at 9-11PM.

I personally have no problem sitting in queue for hours on end, but almost nobody else does, including the other members of my team. But that's because I have virtually unlimited playtime and I play other games while waiting (I don't know why more people don't alt tab and play other stuff but oh well).

I know most people aren't like me and as such, I've always suspected that there are many people who want to queue who don't want to sit around and wait for queues that rarely pop. Based on my own experience with my own team, I know that people can get impatient and bored waiting a mere 10-20 minutes, and I think most people aren't even that patient.

There's no perfect solution. The best we can do is try to improve the odds of getting matches together by coordinating out of game (like on these forums, or in each others' vents), because I know that simply queueing up more often and hoping for the best or shouting out in ingame chat (which we have been doing) doesn't help very much.

Edited by LetoAtreidesII

I never said anything about PD and their relevance in ranked or outside. I've always have had respect for PD but you made some statements regarding who could offer the best competition on this server and I assumed you were talking about you but I guess I was wrong.

Edit 1: Wildberry what toon are you doing group ranked in?

Diesel who is back?

I would love to get some PD, PoA and RG games going it would be a lot of fun.

I think I will log in tonight.

Cheers,

Hobi

Diesel who is back?

I would love to get some PD, PoA and RG games going it would be a lot of fun.

I think I will log in tonight.

Cheers,

Hobi

Tazz, Rezikj, Carth, Venus and I have all be playing on and off since the beginning of the holidays. The twins have been leveling alts mostly but numbers in guild have been increasing a little.

Question? Why fixate on team arena's? It only benefits a very small percentage of the pvp server population!

Getting the solo ranked scene up and running needs to be the priority! Everyone interested needs to be comfortable queueing, should not expect to be flamed because of a loss or inexperience, and want to learn. This would quicken the gearing process, probably get more people interested, and get more involved/excited about the group venue!

Most people are frightened of the unknown, just need to get people comfortable!

Just a thought!

Question? Why fixate on team arena's? It only benefits a very small percentage of the pvp server population!

Getting the solo ranked scene up and running needs to be the priority! Everyone interested needs to be comfortable queueing, should not expect to be flamed because of a loss or inexperience, and want to learn. This would quicken the gearing process, probably get more people interested, and get more involved/excited about the group venue!

Just a thought!

From what I've heard from some imp players is that they solo q all the time and its usually against imps..... Well I've queued a lot and its usually pub v pub (republic sentinels). So... yeah solo q....

People focus on group ranked because you get to pick who you play with. Solo queue is the same thing as wzs.... you have to depend on pugs whose actions but have a stronger weight than in 8v8s.

I don't see people pugging NiM modes..... I could be wrong but people usually pick the people they want to play with when it comes to the higher tiers of content. Group ranked is the highest tier of pvp.

Edited by Iolus

I understand that it is the highest level of pvp! But hard to judge at what level these teams are performing at when only 2 teams might queue on any given night! Also, it hard to determine how "high" the level of pvp is when one team, on that given night, dominates! I don't consider a small pool of teams, planning what night they want to queue up, as very "high". Zero competition does not make one particular team great! It just means that they may have gotten more lucky!

I was simply suggesting that we involve more. More could, in time, mean that 10 teams are queueing a night. To me, this is more exciting. I am sure there are plenty of peps on this server who would like to gain the experience but, for whatever reason, don't!

It couldn't possibly be that most pvp'ers have egos the size of Texas or that some think that they are legends in their own mind!

Things that make u go hmmmmm!

I understand that it is the highest level of pvp! But hard to judge at what level these teams are performing at when only 2 teams might queue on any given night! Also, it hard to determine how "high" the level of pvp is when one team, on that given night, dominates! I don't consider a small pool of teams, planning what night they want to queue up, as very "high". Zero competition does not make one particular team great! It just means that they may have gotten more lucky!

I was simply suggesting that we involve more. More could, in time, mean that 10 teams are queueing a night. To me, this is more exciting. I am sure there are plenty of peps on this server who would like to gain the experience but, for whatever reason, don't!

It couldn't possibly be that most pvp'ers have egos the size of Texas or that some think that they are legends in their own mind!

Things that make u go hmmmmm!

Well how do you suggest more teams queue up? My team doesn't plan when we want to do ranked, when the 4 of us are on at the same time we queue for ranked.

You can question a team's dominance all you want and call their wins "that night" lucky but Bioware instituted an entire season. There were a whole lot of teams queueing when the season started, why did they stop? Do you have a way to get people to queue? I know we've tried to get people to queue but not a lot of teams have wanted.

Edited by Iolus

Just a thought!

To be honest my main PvP toon right now is a merc healer. In my experience, if you solo queue a non-operative healer you will get flamed by your team. One time I was chewed out before the match for not being an op even though we still ended up winning.

I like playing on my merc but I can't argue that operative is OP. However, I can usually beat a mediocre operative, and I can hang with good operatives if I have good dps I trust who can put proper pressure and a decent tank who doesn't just guard and then run off.

It's these sorts of situations that make queueing solo much like queueing tank or heals for a pug FP - often not worth the abuse or risk of fail from your own team. That said, I would still queue solo if we could keep the riff raff out.

Well how do you suggest more teams queue up? My team doesn't plan when we want to do ranked, when the 4 of us are on at the same time we queue for ranked.

You can question a team's dominance all you want and call their wins "that night" lucky but Bioware instituted an entire season. There were a whole lot of teams queueing when the season started, why did they stop? Do you have a way to get people to queue? I know we've tried to get people to queue but not a lot of teams have wanted.

I am not criticizing those that queue for team areanas, I, in fact, applaud them! Actually, I am trying to figure out how to involve more teams and generate more interest. Why? Because I would like to have other options besides regs.

Queueing for team or solo ranked is a double edge sword though. Yes, I am sure people are interested but we, the more advance pvp'ers, have little tolerance for undergeared toons, mistakes, inexperience, a drop in our rankings, etc...... Hence, to avoid the BS, people dont mess with it. So....the pvp community has, in reality, shot themselves in the foot with this sense of elitism and created the current arena situation by driving off the casuals or the novice players. Could this be why so many pvp'ers scream that swtor pvp is dying??? Who knows, but it could be.

So, with that being said, this is why I have suggested that we encourage more and more solo. One, who has never done ranked, queues, has a good experience, win or lose....will probably queue again. That player gets more experienced, better geared, and then may encourage friends to participate. Those friends group and eventually try team arenas. It is a snowball effect! Kinda where I was going with the initial suggestion.

Like I said, I was not being critical. I, in the past, have been an elitist! I have said things to players that I now regret. I know I cannot change that but I can change my behavior today. Now, I play with tolerance and accept those trying to gear or learn. I am not saying we all sit around a camp fire singing Kumbaya or all get together for group hugs though. I am just suggesting that we pvp'ers have a little patience and try to be a little more helpful to those who are interested in participating.

Mabye instead of being a part of the problem, we can start being a part of the solution.

I am not criticizing those that queue for team areanas, I, in fact, applaud them! Actually, I am trying to figure out how to involve more teams and generate more interest. Why? Because I would like to have other options besides regs.

Queueing for team or solo ranked is a double edge sword though. Yes, I am sure people are interested but we, the more advance pvp'ers, have little tolerance for undergeared toons, mistakes, inexperience, a drop in our rankings, etc...... Hence, to avoid the BS, people dont mess with it. So....the pvp community has, in reality, shot themselves in the foot with this sense of elitism and created the current arena situation by driving off the casuals or the novice players. Could this be why so many pvp'ers scream that swtor pvp is dying??? Who knows, but it could be.

So, with that being said, this is why I have suggested that we encourage more and more solo. One, who has never done ranked, queues, has a good experience, win or lose....will probably queue again. That player gets more experienced, better geared, and then may encourage friends to participate. Those friends group and eventually try team arenas. It is a snowball effect! Kinda where I was going with the initial suggestion.

Like I said, I was not being critical. I, in the past, have been an elitist! I have said things to players that I now regret. I know I cannot change that but I can change my behavior today. Now, I play with tolerance and accept those trying to gear or learn. I am not saying we all sit around a camp fire singing Kumbaya or all get together for group hugs though. I am just suggesting that we pvp'ers have a little patience and try to be a little more helpful to those who are interested in participating.

Mabye instead of being a part of the problem, we can start being a part of the solution.

There is one flaw with solo arenas and that is the pug element. You don't decide who queues so you will get people who are undergeared, inexperienced, and even trolls. How much patience do you these "elite players" to have with people who don't have full expertise, aren't augmented, don't use guard as a tank, don't listen to the initial game plan, jump in there awe then smash........

I did about 10 or so solo matches last night. I started out on my marauder and then switched to my vanguard when the imps logged. We won 3 straight on my marauder because the pub tank didn't have max expertise, didn't use guard... etc. How patient do you want people to be with their time? That is why me and my friends queue for group arenas. The people i play with don't take undergeared toons into solos because well they know they are going to hurt their team.

Solos should have never had a leaderboard if it was meant to be a stepping stone for group arenas. The mere fact that Bioware's idea of "better supporting ranked play" was adding leaderboards is pretty lazy and quite stupid. Why didn't they add leaderboards to 8v8 rwz when they first came out or a month or two afterwards. We have the most lazy and incompetent devs on the planet.

/endrant

So queue up for solos, group w/e because I know you guys are tired of wzs. I

Not here to argue about it! It is obvious you and I are going to agree to disagree! The problem with that mentality is that it perpetuates the same ole same ole arena blah going on, not just on this server, but all! Ultimately, the sitiation has to change or arenas fizzle from a small flame to a burning ember!

In an ideal world there would be solo queue and team queue going on at the same time for both sets of people but on a PvE server, and its creeping into every server now, there just aren't enough people to do arena frequently enough to sustain it at random times of the day. Queues have been popping in the evening the past couple of nights, primarily due to lock running around gathering people up, so it's pretty much the time to play if its what you are looking to do.

To the solo vs team ranked part, some classes/specs just don't perform as well in solo as they do in team because they are reliant on team support. Commando dps is not great at solo queue, it's easily kicked and has no aoe damage reduction, but in team ranked it can be successful with good team support. If you look at whats normally in a solo arena it's typically an op healer and then a bunch of sentinels and vanguards, primarily due to the fact that the classes have strong abilities/talents that allow them to be effective even without a solid team to back them up. The best thing that could happen for us all is that we get some new blood queuing into both categories of ranked so it doesn't become the same 20 people whacking away at each other, and judging by regular warzones there seems to be a lot of new faces.

Not here to argue about it! It is obvious you and I are going to agree to disagree! The problem with that mentality is that it perpetuates the same ole same ole arena blah going on, not just on this server, but all! Ultimately, the sitiation has to change or arenas fizzle from a small flame to a burning ember!

So lets say we agree to disagree. Just one question....

There are a bunch of players who are geared, know their classes, and are experienced in pvp but have never set foot in either the solo or group queue.... why is that?

So lets say we agree to disagree. Just one question....

There are a bunch of players who are geared, know their classes, and are experienced in pvp but have never set foot in either the solo or group queue.... why is that?

they're different games. that's like saying people run arenas who don't play starfighter (more likely vice versa but you get the idea).

incidentally, first match back in iunno how long (i'm just mashing buttons), and some dude on my team is yelling at everybody in ahg that we lost because we didn't collect orbs.

they're different games. that's like saying people run arenas who don't play starfighter (more likely vice versa but you get the idea).

incidentally, first match back in iunno how long (i'm just mashing buttons), and some dude on my team is yelling at everybody in ahg that we lost because we didn't collect orbs.

Not quite.... starfighter is a completely different game from the ground game. Wzs and arenas all use the same classes and abilities. They may have different tactics but still the same game. If you are geated for wzs then you are geared for arenas.

They had 8v8s people did them then stopped.... why? Couldn't get 8 fotm classes? They took them away and added 4v4 arenas. Now you need 4 less people yet why have people stop queueing , not just on this server but all over the game?

Either way welcome back Krack

Edited by Iolus