ending companion and class stories will ruin swtor.....bioware please reconsider

GavinPatterson

I'd like to see the conclusion of several companions... some that are redeemed, some that finally fall.

If nothing else, I'd also like to create my own companion, that would be fully voiced by several of the voice actors on retainer. But more plot is always welcome. So I'm supporting this.

Anything to get us away from the lackluster space.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn´t say Story = lame, I said massive Story overkill =wrong for MMO focus

Also why are you playing an MMO for story? You could play offline Bioware titles which have more story focus and executed even better (Mass Effect, hello?)

That question can be bounced right back at you; why are you playing an MMO that advertised story as one of its biggest features?

Simply because "it's Star Wars"? It's very clear from all your posts that you don't like most of the things this MMO has done, and consider it inferior to a lot of the others out there - so why are you playing it at all?

There is no doubt that the class story is the one thing of SWTOR that most really enjoy with little debate. But here we are in a scenario where I would rather have one large world bigger than anything in game. I would also rather see player apartments in reference to KOTOR or a guild station office\instance. Just something that reflects the guild system. Edited by Lateris

That question can be bounced right back at you; why are you playing an MMO that advertised story as one of its biggest features?

Simply because "it's Star Wars"? It's very clear from all your posts that you don't like most of the things this MMO has done, and consider it inferior to a lot of the others out there - so why are you playing it at all?

I was just back for 60 days with a gametime card, taking a longer break again when my gametime runs out on December 20.

Got the Makeb expansion free, 1500 cartel coins free with the promotion, some goodies free. Played through Makeb on two alts and played Oricon and CZ198. Good content, was fun.

Will be back for SWTOR 3.0 if it is cool. I like logging back in and see lots of content added in between, also if there is some promotion to resubscribe.

I was just back for 60 days with a gametime card, taking a longer break again when my gametime runs out on December 20.

Got the Makeb expansion free, 1500 cartel coins free with the promotion, some goodies free. Played through Makeb on two alts and played Oricon and CZ198. Good content, was fun.

Will be back for SWTOR 3.0 if it is cool. I like logging back in and see lots of content added in between, also if there is some promotion to resubscribe.

Ah, smart move, sounds like you got your money's worth.

And points for honesty. :)

We do need more class-specific content. What I've been suggesting is some class-specific weekly quests unlocked when you complete Chapter 3. They'd be phased areas, maybe special locations accessible from the galaxy map, where a character from your class story wants you to get something done.

Maybe Lord Scourge hears of some ritual being performed on some dustball and figures he and the Knight should go crash the party. Maybe General Garza wants some Imperial commander dead and deploys Havoc Squad to handle it. Maybe Drooga the Hutt is trying to buy some delicacy and wants the Smuggler there to make sure the deal goes smoothly. Stuff like that.

Actually, the whole "ZOMG you're so special" gets shoved down your throat in most of the class storylines except for the smuggler (it pops up right away in the Trooper and BH stories and is the entire reason for the events of the Agent's second chapter). I don't like it and it is a frequent criticism that has popped up in regards to the stories.

As for the rest of your post... well, that is the prevailing wisdom of MMORPG design these days. The thing is, where has that gotten these companies? A bunch of mega-budget games that have failed to produce the numbers needed to justify their cost and extremely volatile and toxic game communities that drive away many newcomers with their hostility.

Many MMO developers are looking at their subsection of the gaming industry right now and saying this "okay, when 7 or 8 out of 10 games do the exact same thing, you can blame a shift in the market, but when 10 out of ten are all doing it, it's time to start looking at the games themselves."

Long story short, developing single use, solo-oriented class story content is not good for the health of the game; developing multiplayer and sandbox features is.

The thing is though that there is no "saving" this game. To say that they need to focus on this thing over this doesn't make any sense no matter what it is you're talking about because whatever it is isn't going to get a million new subs or 500k or ever 100k for that matter. People made up their mind about TOR a long time ago. Where it's at now, the type of content they produce, at the rate they produce it, probably isn't going to ever change, and that's not really a surprise since nearly every other F2P MMO is the exact same way.

To the OP - I agree it would be nice to see more story.

However...

Voice actors, etc., cost lots of money, we aren't going to see any more of that at a class specific level (notice the companions in the latest space fighter expansion have no voices?). Even the devs at wow dropped class specific stories for the most part because the inventors don't see the rate of return they would like - corporate greed at it's best (why settle for 10% when you can get 12%?). So... what might we see?

1) Perhaps generic companions that all classes can get with a generic story line. These might even be romance-able by both sexes, and even cross faction, so that way the entire game gets them. Or... they might just sell them...

2) Over arching stories that all people can do.

That's about it.

I could be wrong on this, but my bets is EA wants to see way more money returned on their initial investment before they ever agree to investing lots again. Thus, the micro expansions, and even the exploration of what the game is all about - ie., the pvp only space fighting expansion just to see how it does.

On the entire MMO front, I think all devs are a little worried. It's a cut throat business, and even WoW is loosing people because nothing "new" has been released, ie., same old dailies, raids, instances. It's all been done and rehashed a few times over now.

Stories are what sells novels, and in the end stories will be what sells MMO's, otherwise they are really FPS in disguise.

Edited by Droidist

In my opinion, we don't need more class story, we just need more story period.

Oricon is a good example. Yes, it's a daily hub and the quests were all leading up to a raid that I will never see since I'm not a raider... but I appreciated when it came out because that little quest chain *did* advance the story. That's what we need.

A few other people have already said this, but the class stories weren't without flaw. There is pretty much nowhere to go for any of the characters. Each one of them is already at the top of the world as the 8 heroes of the galaxy. They already "won"! This in turn makes it kind of ludicrous to consider the Makeb storyline when you have Dark Council members running around killing droids and taking quests from random people.

I find it incredibly immersion breaking that my Inquisitor is somehow on the Dark Council. As a roleplayer I am forced to dismiss class story entirely since it is way too specific and focused on making your character extremely overpowered. My character is literally on the same societal level as Darth Marr... how does that make sense?

The beauty of planetary questlines is that you still get to be heroic without having it shoved down your throat how you're one of the 8 most elite people in the galaxy.

We do need more class-specific content. What I've been suggesting is some class-specific weekly quests unlocked when you complete Chapter 3. They'd be phased areas, maybe special locations accessible from the galaxy map, where a character from your class story wants you to get something done.

Maybe Lord Scourge hears of some ritual being performed on some dustball and figures he and the Knight should go crash the party. Maybe General Garza wants some Imperial commander dead and deploys Havoc Squad to handle it. Maybe Drooga the Hutt is trying to buy some delicacy and wants the Smuggler there to make sure the deal goes smoothly. Stuff like that.

This would be quite lovely actually. I just know that they can't be left as they are, there needs to be continuation, some stories have dangly endings. Definitely want to see more interaction with our companions and missions to do specifically with them, so that we can have meaningful interaction. I have no interest in stories like Makeb and Oricon because they're basically, do twice and throw away, unless you like to grind the same bs everyday...kill the same droids, kill the same rats. It's rubbish.

The work they give our toons to do, should feel more important than it does, and the epic ness shouldn't be saved for just the raiding crowd. It would be nice to have a meaningful class storyline, culminating in an interesting battle or test, with a nice prize/title at the end, and the promise of more to come.

Well, the problem with most mmo players is all they care about is endgame, nothing more, nothing less, if they can't raid, they moan, cry and leave and they tend to not care about story at all, if it gives them uber gear at the end, then they care, but skip all the non-required stuff.

The thing that makes me stay is the story, the conversations, i never skip them, even after seeing them dozens of times, i mean i skip the alien and droid speech (Non-Basic for 15-20 seconds for a 7 second length sentence), which is also why i avoid all pre-endgame levels, because there are just too many players that pressure me into skipping the main reason i play this game and if i don't skip it, i get kicked close to what one would call verbal abuse, but not enough to be reported.

I think bioware should have stuck to Single Player RPGs, but thats just my opinion.