The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Superweapon Analysis: Galaxy Gun

Wolfninjajedi

Alright folks am back with another one of these threads, this time we shall be looking into the dreaded Galaxy Gun! So lets begin!

========

"This weapon can destroy a city… a landmass… or even an entire planet anywhere in the galaxy."

―Emperor Palpatine

At length it was 7, 250 meters in a tube like fashion space station built above Byss. It could fire large powerful projectiles with particle desintergrator warheads with the capacity to destroy a planet. Each of the projectiles were capable of traveling through hyperspace with an equivalent speed of a .75 hyperdrive allowing for quick travel and thus they were also difficult to detect until a target was struck. Automated turbolasers exchanged fire with warships while the thick hull armor plating and powerful shields protected it, deflecting even from the most advanced ion cannons and turbolasers.

When reaching it's target, the particle warhead exploded triggering nuclear clouds, at full power the nuclear reactions stayed until all matter would be converted into energy, effectively wiping out the planet and all the inhabitants from the galaxy. It also did have a power settings so the gun could target specifically for selected cities or bases while leaving the rest of the planet unharmed.

The Galaxy Gun was designed by Umak Leth who was killed when the Eclipse 2 crashed into the Gun, destroying both superweapons however a final warhead was shot out and pulled into Byss being unguided and the planet was destroyed along with the two super weapons.

Specs

Schematics: Blueprints

Length: 7, 250 meters

Hyperdrive Rating: 6.0

Armament: Particle disintergrator warhead projectiles, turbolasers.

Roles: Superweapon, Battle Station(when around Byss)

Pictures

Warhead being fired

In orbit

=======

Conclusions: A very destructive weapon to be sure along with it's defenses, it's a pretty neat design. A giant space rifle with the ammo being disintergration warhead missiles!

Taken by itself the Galaxy Gun was pretty cool (and as far as genuinely practical superweapons go, it's probably the best) - the only problem was that it showed up in the middle of the "All Superweapons, All the Time" period of SW fiction in '94-'95, where the concept itself was getting pretty worn out:

Jedi Academy Trilogy (March - October 1994): Sun Crusher

Corellian Trilogy (March - October 1995): Centerpoint Station

Children of the Jedi (May 1995): Eye of Palpatine

Empire's End (October-November 1995): Galaxy Gun

Darksaber (November 1995): The Darksaber

Don't get me wrong, I love me some superweapons, but they work better if used sparingly and interspersed with storylines that deal with threats like Thrawn or the Black Sun. Around this time they seemed to just be getting put in the stories because they were expected or writers couldn't think of anything better.

Taken by itself the Galaxy Gun was pretty cool (and as far as genuinely practical superweapons go, it's probably the best) - the only problem was that it showed up in the middle of the "All Superweapons, All the Time" period of SW fiction in '94-'95, where the concept itself was getting pretty worn out:

Jedi Academy Trilogy (March - October 1994): Sun Crusher

Corellian Trilogy (March - October 1995): Centerpoint Station

Children of the Jedi (May 1995): Eye of Palpatine

Empire's End (October-November 1995): Galaxy Gun

Darksaber (November 1995): The Darksaber

Don't get me wrong, I love me some superweapons, but they work better if used sparingly and interspersed with storylines that deal with threats like Thrawn or the Black Sun. Around this time they seemed to just be getting put in the stories because they were expected or writers couldn't think of anything better.

Centerpoint Station wasn't meant to be a weapon though, the Celestials used it as a construction tool - they moved planets around the galaxy.

The Eye of Palatine was imo a WMD but not a Superweapon.

Centerpoint Station wasn't meant to be a weapon though, the Celestials used it as a construction tool - they moved planets around the galaxy.

The Eye of Palatine was imo a WMD but not a Superweapon.

True, but those distinctions are pretty much just window-dressing for what role it's serving in the plot. The difference between "Our enemies have built a new superweapon and we have to stop them" and "Our enemies are turning an ancient space station into a superweapon and we have to stop them" is pretty slim.

The line of what's different enough to keep things feeling fresh is definitely subjective, but it felt to me like things were getting pretty stale around this time. Which is why the superweapon-free X-Wing series and Shadows of the Empire came as such a breath of fresh air in '96.

I'm still not sure why everybody is spending so much money on super weapons when all you need to do to create a planet wide ELO is just chuck a decent size asteroid at the planet. Heck forget about the asteroid and it would be cheaper to just ram a planet with a star destroyer rather than spend all the time on the super weapons that have the one common factor in that they are killed by a bunch of plucky youths. It's like spending a Gazillion credits to make a new form of paper, that isn't really any better than regular paper.

Roughly speaking a Star Destroyer is about 1/10th the size of the asteroid that killed off the dinosaurs, but unlike that space rock, it has engines and the ability to go much, much, much faster.

Edited by StarMagus