Building a PC to run SWTOR on Ultra

Asden

My old 550ti ran it at ultra very easily. You can probably build a PC tht will play SWTOR at ultra for around 400 bucks or less at cyberpower or something like that. Heck you can BUY a prebuilt one at costco for 299 that has a 760 in it and more than enough power to run SWTOR.

Now if you wanna run other stuff and newer games you're going to need a more powerful thing.

Are you talking back when the game was released because with the new settings you would be lucky to get 15fps

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old 550ti ran it at ultra very easily. You can probably build a PC tht will play SWTOR at ultra for around 400 bucks or less at cyberpower or something like that. Heck you can BUY a prebuilt one at costco for 299 that has a 760 in it and more than enough power to run SWTOR.

Now if you wanna run other stuff and newer games you're going to need a more powerful thing.

not that i dont belive you but please post a link

im thinking about this build right here would this run swtor on max ultra settings smoothly on the fleet 60+frames per sec?

Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 GV-N1080G1 GAMING-8GD Video Graphics Card

RAM Kingston Hyperx Fury - Ddr4 - 8 Gb : 2 X 4 Gb - Dimm 288-pin - 2666 Mhz / Pc4-21300 - Cl15 - 1.2 V

That graphics card would be overkill for 1920x1080, but great for 1440p or 4K. You'd only need an RX 480 or GTX-1060 for 1920x1080. A good compromise would be a GTX-1070. (But a little overkill never hurts. :) )

For the RAM, I'd recommend 2x 8 Gig (16 Gig)

not that i dont belive you but please post a link

That guy is not aware that it's the CPU that generally limits fps in SWTOR. The 550 Ti has little to do with it, and it's most likely he has some form of i5 processor.

Edited by JediQuaker

That's not very good at all when I can get 200fps on medium settings and get 140fps on ultra but with shadows off.

i7 4790k @ 4.6ghz WC

Samsung SSD

16GB Ram

Sapphire RX 480 nitro

3 x 24" monitors @ 5760x1080

But only 220-320ms Ping :(

I would never sacrifice that much FPS in pvp just to have shadows.

Try OCing the CPU up to 4.0 ghz and see that boosts your FPS

140fps in a warzone? I'd like to see that video ...

Here's a bit of my setup which runs consistently 100+fps on fleet on maxed ultra settings.

i7-3770k cpu

24 gigs of G.Skill Ripjaws X Series ram

Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard

Samsung 840 Pro Series 128gig SSD

GeForce 660Ti video card

Those are pretty much the key aspects of the build and should be within your price range for a very good gaming setup. My rig plays SWTOR on ultra max settings with ease. Hope this helps you some.

Yeah, that be a good build at a reasonable price.

Question, most people I know only have 16 GB RAM, do you video edit or anything that requires 24 GB?

Yeah. I'm still rocking a 2011 quad i7-2700k that is still amazing for games because it clocks up to 3.9GHz. It's amazing how well CPUs hold up these days.

Video card, for a nice price/perf/power usage balance I'd suggest a GTX1060. I have a 970 and it runs all current gen games I have tried fine for me at 1920x1200 at 60+FPS.

Are you talking back when the game was released because with the new settings you would be lucky to get 15fps

It was at launch and a bit after. I didn't know they'd improved it at all since until this last update there didn't seem to be any difference.

That guy is not aware that it's the CPU that generally limits fps in SWTOR. The 550 Ti has little to do with it, and it's most likely he has some form of i5 processor.

This was at launch. I was just informed that there have been improvements (though they aren't noticeable) that may take more power.

I was running it on a fairly good i3 back then with the 550ti and it ran very very well.

I just came back a couple months ago and I have a very good system now but honestly a mid to low-end gaming pc would still run this game. It's too old to require much more no matter how much it's improved. You can only paint a potato so much.

My PC costed about $1200 I believe. I run this game on ultra, but maintaining a constant high FPS on the fleet is challenging specifically because of all of the players that are running around there. With $1250 for your PC budget however, you will be able to run almost all AAA games at at least 60 FPS. My most intensive game is the Witcher 3, and I run it at 50+ FPS. You shouldn't have a problem with FPS spikes in SWTOR, the fleet will be the only place you FPS will spike in small amounts every now and then.

My specs: (the important ones)

CPU: i7-4790k

GPU: MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr

RAM: 16 gigs (forgot brand)

My PC costed about $1200 I believe. I run this game on ultra, but maintaining a constant high FPS on the fleet is challenging specifically because of all of the players that are running around there. With $1250 for your PC budget however, you will be able to run almost all AAA games at at least 60 FPS. My most intensive game is the Witcher 3, and I run it at 50+ FPS. You shouldn't have a problem with FPS spikes in SWTOR, the fleet will be the only place you FPS will spike in small amounts every now and then.

what would you guys reccomend for me for a 16 gig ram that would work for an i5 6600 and a gtx 1070 sorry im a newb at pc building this is my first one

140fps in a warzone? I'd like to see that video ...

It's not hard with my setup. I just turn off or have lowest settings in game for antialiasing and then I use the AMD crimson software to override the ingame settings and adjust the antialiasing from there. It actually looks better too.

But when I say 140 FPS, this was before NY, when I logged in yesterday it had dropped to about 120 FPS, so I'm not sure what happened in a week?

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Intel released the Karby Lake processors yesterday. From the different test sites I've read, in most cases there is little improvement in game performance and in some cases it's lower than a 4770k.

So unless 3.1 USB is something you need to have, you should look and see if you can pick a 4790k because they are going cheap.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

2 weeks ago I've bought a great i7-4790k Too

I have also 16 gb ram and 7850 HD (upgrade in future). I have no problem in running on planets or fleet. The only problem is big fps drops in Warzones, drops to 40 sometimes 30-35. (its playable, yeah but still not a big comfort, and thing that You know You should run this game easy even on low settings). Its swtor engine.

Edited by tummiswtor

It's not hard with my setup. I just turn off or have lowest settings in game for antialiasing and then I use the AMD crimson software to override the ingame settings and adjust the antialiasing from there. It actually looks better too.

But when I say 140 FPS, this was before NY, when I logged in yesterday it had dropped to about 120 FPS, so I'm not sure what happened in a week?

Anything over 80 I'd love to see really. I know they made some big performance in roads with 5.0 but I don't PVP often and never thought to really benchmark it but when I did I couldn't get over average 50 @ 4.3 stable.

Also not sure how the crimson override ( hate new driver suite too since "wattman" came with it also - pretty much staying on older drivers that don't have wattman so afterburner works correctly with my card ) will help much with FPS since the FPs has always been CPU bound in warzones unless they've done some massive tweaks with 5.0 performance beyond what I even thought they had achieved.

Anything over 80 I'd love to see really. I know they made some big performance in roads with 5.0 but I don't PVP often and never thought to really benchmark it but when I did I couldn't get over average 50 @ 4.3 stable.

Also not sure how the crimson override ( hate new driver suite too since "wattman" came with it also - pretty much staying on older drivers that don't have wattman so afterburner works correctly with my card ) will help much with FPS since the FPs has always been CPU bound in warzones unless they've done some massive tweaks with 5.0 performance beyond what I even thought they had achieved.

I fixed the FPS and it's back up to 157 FPS max in WZs. I'd accidentally changed one of the AMD crimson settings.

This is my AMD crimson settings if you want to try it out (if you have a RX 480)

Antialiasing mode - override application

Antialiasing level - 2xEQ

Antialiasing filter - standard

Antialiasing method - multisampling

Morphological filtering - off

Anisotropic filter mode - use application settings

Texture filter quality - high

Surface format optimisation- on

Vertical sync - off unless specified

OpenGL buffering - off

Shader cache - on

Tessellation - use application

Frame rate control - 160 FPS

Swtor settings

Vertical sync off

Resolution- 5760 x 1080

Bloom off

Conversation depth off

Texture quality high

Shader quality high

Antialiasing off

Character lvl detail high

Texture anisotropy high

Character texture atlasing high

Visible character limit very high

Shadow quality off

Shadow map cascades medium (but it's disabled anyway)

Grass render medium

Tree quality 20

Grass quality 20

2 weeks ago I've bought a great i7-4790k Too

I have also 16 gb ram and 7850 HD (upgrade in future). I have no problem in running on planets or fleet. The only problem is big fps drops in Warzones, drops to 40 sometimes 30-35. (its playable, yeah but still not a big comfort, and thing that You know You should run this game easy even on low settings). Its swtor engine.

See if you can clock the CPU to 4.6 ghz. Also turn off turbo boost so that it doesn't throttle.

You're probably seeing a drop in FPS now because of the 7850. The new settings in swtor are now using more of the graphics card than they previously did.

If you get the money, grab a Sapphire RX 480 nitro.

Everyone is sitting here recommending super expensive high powered options to this guy. If literally ALL he wants to play is SWTOR he doesn't need a 1000 dollar PC. This game is old, it doesn't take that much power. If he wants to play brand new titles for the next few years sure but he only mentioned SWTOR.

I have had great framerates with 5.0 even in 8v8 warzone mid cluster fights.

4.0 i7 6700k

GeForce 980ti

16GB RAM

500GB Samsung Pro m.2 HD

It plays everything on ultra just fine, even those crazy Occulus VR games with high system requirements at max settings (elite dangerous, etc)

Edited by Kurfer

Everyone is sitting here recommending super expensive high powered options to this guy. If literally ALL he wants to play is SWTOR he doesn't need a 1000 dollar PC. This game is old, it doesn't take that much power. .

Actually, for smooth gameplay, SWTOR does require a powerful CPU, particularly in PvP and OPs, or any time there are a lot of players around. At this time, an recent gen Intel i5 is the best choice.

For budget conscious players, the new i3-7350K should perform fairly well, and high end AMD FX-83xx's should do ok.

For AMD fans - Ryzen is coming.

Everyone is sitting here recommending super expensive high powered options to this guy. If literally ALL he wants to play is SWTOR he doesn't need a 1000 dollar PC. This game is old, it doesn't take that much power. If he wants to play brand new titles for the next few years sure but he only mentioned SWTOR.

Yes thank you i just want a build that will run this game only on max settings with 60+ fps and i dont stream or video edit

Actually, for smooth gameplay, SWTOR does require a powerful CPU, particularly in PvP and OPs, or any time there are a lot of players around. At this time, an recent gen Intel i5 is the best choice.

For budget conscious players, the new i3-7350K should perform fairly well, and high end AMD FX-83xx's should do ok.

For AMD fans - Ryzen is coming.

Yeah but any pc with an i5 or i3 isnt' going to be a thousand dollars unless you're putting dual titans or something insane in it. (I'd like to mention that an i3 probably couldn't even run dual titans but still.)

On various websites (I like cyberpower but the deals right now are meh.) you can build a decent PC using an i3 or i5 processor with a decent enough card and set up for SWTOR all for less than 500 bucks. You'll have to look if you want the i3 but most places still sell the i5. You could actually probably find something similar to my current set up for much cheaper than I paid since I got it almost 2 years ago. Mine was 1200 dollars then so it can't be that expensive now.

Also newegg's refurbished section is hard to navigate but sometimes has some decent ones.

I saw one in december's costco coupons that would easily run SWTOR if not necessarily super new games.

I recommend waiting until March if you use cyberpower. I got mine during their march madness deals or it would have been 2200 or more.