How can you tell which direction you're facing via the mini map?

Enexemander

I *think* that the fuller green section is supposed to be your nose, but I can't be certain. I can't seem to orient myself via the mini map at all. When I turn, instead of the mini map cursor turning smoothly, it jumps from position to position in 45 degree increments. I can't tell where I'm supposed to be facing until the minimap "catches up" and by then I'm probably facing a different direction.

I don't mind the controls overall, but not being able to navigate is really hurting me.

You are correct about how the arrow works.

Your are also correct about the minimap being... less than useful at times.

Ultimately, I only use the minimap to get a general idea of where friendlies/enemies are relative to the nodes, and use that info to decide where to go next. Trying to use that thing for navigation is just an exercise in frustration. Once I know which node I want to head to, I just rely on knowledge of the map for navigation, and using the targeting boxes to keep track of enemies.

You are correct about how the arrow works.

Your are also correct about the minimap being... less than useful at times.

Ultimately, I only use the minimap to get a general idea of where friendlies/enemies are relative to the nodes, and use that info to decide where to go next. Trying to use that thing for navigation is just an exercise in frustration. Once I know which node I want to head to, I just rely on knowledge of the map for navigation, and using the targeting boxes to keep track of enemies.

I do the same thing. Trying to navigate via the minimap isn't really possible in this. It takes a little practice to get used all the navigational information being present around the reticule but it works. I'm extremely colorblind and have bad vision overall so it's a mess for me and I still manage to know where I'm headed... most of the time. ;)

I mostly try to use the control points for navigation cues. If none are in your view, they will have markers around the ring pointing toward them with A, B and C marked on them. They're a bit similar to the other target markers, and EVERYTHING is the same color, so this is problematic. However, it is usable and usually faster than using the minimap. I just use the minimap to get an idea of the total battlefield. IE: Where are enemy ships, where are friendly ships, where are the main battle areas, etc.