Blasters can't hit their target when in a close dogfight (rolling scissors or barrel)

Arkerus

Hello Devs at Bioware...

First off, great job on GSF. I don't even think I have touched the ground game for 3 days.

Whenever your ship gets into a close range dogfight (close range, circular passes) with another ship the blaster fire does not register (or does not hit the target) even though the target cursor is directly over the lead reticule.

Both ships will past by eachother at very sharp angles and ZERO hits will register. My ship won't take any damage and their ship won't take any damage.

Is this a problem with the lead reticule system or something deeper?

{Update: Apparently this is by design. At that extreme firing arc a deep penalty is applied to accuracy.}

Edited by Arkerus

this is because your target is on the very side of your firing arc in most of this cases and with every degree distance from the middle of the circle your accuracy drops more

Precisely... you have a penalty to accuracy fro every degree off-center your guns are. So tight turning fights tend to have a lot of misses.

Problem being if you want to perform a tight turn while dogfighting you have to go to the edge of the reticule so you usually miss. Yet another problem with these badly designed controls. There needs to be a way to turn your ship while keeping the enemy dead center. Edited by Tellenn

Problem being if you want to perform a tight turn while dogfighting you have to go to the edge of the reticule so you usually miss. Yet another problem with these badly designed controls. There needs to be a way to turn your ship while keeping the enemy dead center.

Yes! Implementing a first person / cockpit view would fix the target reticule to dead center. This would be beneficial two ways:

1. Eliminating the drop in accuracy penalties

2. Improving accuracy and reducing capacitor drain (I'd be less inclined to spray and pray)

this is because your target is on the very side of your firing arc in most of this cases and with every degree distance from the middle of the circle your accuracy drops more

Not only that. I noticed that , at a certain range (literally point-blank), blasters don't seem to be "seeing" the target at all. If I'm tailing an enemy and blasting them from point blank range within a reasonable firing arc, no shots hit. I need to slow down and start blasting away only then.

Not only that. I noticed that , at a certain range (literally point-blank), blasters don't seem to be "seeing" the target at all. If I'm tailing an enemy and blasting them from point blank range within a reasonable firing arc, no shots hit. I need to slow down and start blasting away only then.

I noticed this too, but its probably cuased by something to do with how targeting works in space sims. For instance I know that in SW battlefront 2 (which had a fixed reticle) a similar thing could happen most notably with a trifighter where attack a target at close range cause the lasers to fire 90 degrees up completely missing.

but really this effect only seems to happen in GSF at < 10m range. I can count the number of times on one hand where I was ever within 10m of a target for more than a half second.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Problem being if you want to perform a tight turn while dogfighting you have to go to the edge of the reticule so you usually miss. Yet another problem with these badly designed controls. There needs to be a way to turn your ship while keeping the enemy dead center.

No it's not. If the enemy stops turning they will go straight into the centre of your screen. The off boresight aiming allows the guns to turn faster than ship does.