The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

UNLOCK - Let Us Change Role of Current Class Companions

Calribeiro

Companions have always needed their own specialization trees. I was really surprised bioware didn't implement that from the beginning considering how different some advanced classes are from one another and how poor some starter companions can be.

Plus the story driven content. I would assume a a sith/jedi would prefer using their apprentice/padawan while others may want to use their romance option, best friend, or least annoying among their companions. But you really don't have any choice in this matter. You have to use a certain companion because they fulfill the role you need most.

It's a pretty large oversight on Bioware's part in my opinion.

Or you could just go ahead and use the companion you want. No one is forcing you to only use a certain companion.

Y'know, you sort of have a point here. IMHO players have a fair degree of flexibility in what Companion they can use; you don't have to use the "best" one to play the game effectively.

But . . . I have found that it is far easier to use the Companion I want now that I have been playing for awhile and have a nice presence boost as well as the credits from my high level characters to keep my favored Companions in excellent gear. Without these things, playing with a less "optimal" Companion can really make the game harder.

Also, sometimes a Companion is just plain lousy for your character. I'm sure some people would argue that Guss is a fine choice for a Scoundrel healer and that using Pierce on a Juggernaut tank is totally efficient and a great idea, but I am not convinced, DPS stance or no. Of course, you can always respec your character to a different role to use the Companion you prefer, but, uh, it seems like it would make more sense to change the role of the Companion rather than the role of the actual player. :p

For the record, I don't currently have any issue using the Companions that I want, but I'd be lying if I said the selection of Companions isn't a significant factor in my selection of what classes/roles to play. :o

This would be a huge level of effort...I'm fine with it, as long as they can recoup their money from it....I just don't think that will happen though. You are talking new dialogue (dps classes aren't going to have healing slogans), new animations, new skills, AND lets not forget the stats...and all their specific gear that drops in the game for specific roles. Sure, there are several companions that I loathe I have to use...Tharan...Qyzen...etc. But this is not a quick fix sort of thing, or just cosmetic...

The game is designed to have specific companions for specific roles pretty much. Plus their stories also tie into their roles, like Doc, etc.

Typically I like player choice, but this may be a bridge too far...but hey if they can do it, and make money off of it, then let EAware knock themselves out...I just seriously doubt the demand is there for what it would have to cost...I think a lot of people would rather have them focus on new companions....

Edited by Dyvim

As a trooper I use Elara All of the time because dps/tank companions are just not useful.

Almost ever time my dps can kill almost anything I run across before my pet can get 3 shots off and on top of that I would then have to take a 3-5 sec timeout to regen where with elara I can just run to the next group

All that being said I have 6000 or more CC that I would be very happy to spend just so I can see something besides Elara around now and then I have already spent the 1 million credits on Treek for no other reason then I wanted to see something fighting with me besides Elara as long as the unlock is not to much say something in the 1000 area or so I would be very willing to pay it

as far as the ones earlier before this was bumped saying its wrong for story reasons I call bull **** at least on the republic side I have played all classes as far as I remember not 1 of the companions EVER said that they were just one role.

In fact I remember when I got to Tano Vick the fist time (Trooper melee tank) he was so happy about blowing stuff up in the story I was almost 100% the guy was going to be a DPS then he is a tank which honestly to me does not go with the story at all.

but the same can be said of many of the companions most of them could or should be able to do at least 2 jobs min just given the info we have on what type of people they are and more then a few of them could do any job given what the story told us about them

This would be a huge level of effort..

I'm not sure what makes you think this would be a huge level of effort. Companion tanking, healing, and dps templates are already in the game. It's just a matter of giving the player the ability to change them.