Support Joysticks for Galactic Starfighter

PlasmaJohn

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are joysticks cheap? Otherwise, I really prefer not to spend much money in order to not be at disavantage compared to those with more precise controls. I would see little point in playing if all thought I was going to pwnd by a group of players that have better controls than I do.

For me to approve these additional controls, keyboard and mouse controls would need to more custimzaible as well to limit the advantage other would have.

Edited by Nickious

Are joysticks cheap? Otherwise, I really prefer not to spend much money in order to not be at disavantage compared to those with more precise controls. I would see little point in playing if all thought I was going to pwnd by a group of players that have better controls than I do.

For me to approve these additional controls, keyboard and mouse controls would need to more custimzaible as well to limit the advantage other would have.

Like everything else there is a range of pricing. Simple search on newegg.com cheap USB 2.0 gamepad $7.96: to a "flight control system" for $114.99

Yes they are pretty cheap, but a game pad(xbox or ps style controller) basically does the same thing. And joysticks aren't more precise than a mouse, in fact a mouse is much more precise for aiming. People like to use js and game pads because they are more intuitive for a 3d environment.

Speak for yourself, you say? How about you lead by example :D

Wow really?? I bet you think you are pretty cute with that don't ya?? Well.. Here is to thinking.. Perhaps next time you will do that before you write a post.. :rolleyes:

To clarify for you.. I was not speaking for other people.. I was disputing his comment with some observable facts.. There is a huge difference.. :D

Edited by MajikMyst

And you wonder why people ridicule you. Put down the pompoms and stay out of the convo if you don't understand it.

People want JS control, They are voicing it on the forums. In the freakin suggestion forums no less and youre still here attacking them.

And "Unrealistic" Expectations? Really? you think joystick control is unrealistic for any game in 2013? You sure have low expectations.

Wow.. Speaking for others again.. I am not attacking anyone.. I just see so many people comparing GS to other flight sim games that have a cockpit perspective or view.. GS does not have that.. That is a big issue.. It is called common sense and it seems to not be so common.. That literally is like comparing apples and oranges.. They are both fruits, but that is all the have in common..

The controls are what they are for a reason.. Bioware didn't want to put something out that would require everyone to run out and get a controller.. Believe it or not, some people don't have a controller.. Can you imagine the gripes if people had to go out and spend money to play the GS expansion?? Oh wait?? That didn't happen..

Why don't read my post and stop attempting to understand what it is I think or don't think.. I don't think anything is unrealistic and never said such a thing.. I don't have any expectations.. Again, if you aren't going to read my post then don't respond to them.. Just a common sense thing you know??

I understand the convo perfectly.. I have been having it longer than most.. This was something that also came up during the closed beta in the private forum.. How about we stop being a jerk to anyone that disagrees with you and start defending your position with actual points and logic.. Some common sense would also be nice.. Don't worry about who has your pompoms, and learn to speak for yourself..

Oh and come to terms with the idea that sometimes, someone else might have some information that you don't.. Not saying me.. Just saying.. :)

Edited by MajikMyst

[quote name='MajikMyst']Wow really?? I bet you think you are pretty cute with that don't ya?? Well.. Here is to thinking.. Perhaps next time you will do that before you write a post.. :rolleyes: To clarify for you.. I was not speaking for other people.. I was disputing his comment with some observable facts.. There is a huge difference.. :D[/QUOTE] Erm... by stating that "people aren't that upset" you are, in all actuality, speaking for other people. This is an "observable fact". If you don't understand this straight away, I suggest you go away and have a good think before you post again.

Erm... by stating that "people aren't that upset" you are, in all actuality, speaking for other people. This is an "observable fact". If you don't understand this straight away, I suggest you go away and have a good think before you post again.

Do not tell anyone to go away and think before they post again.. You do not have the right in any way shape or form to tell someone not to post on the forums.. As for thinking?? Well.. It is obvious who didn't think when they wrote a post..

You don't have to understand what I said and the terms in which it was perfectly appropriate.. Some people don't.. You appear to fall into that category..

When someone says people voted for this or that.. Or people shopped at this store or that one.. Some people drove on the freeway.. Some people fly on airplanes.. Some people hate onions.. Some people love steak... Are they speaking for someone or are they stating an observable fact?? That is the key difference here.. What is an observable fact and what isn't.. He was speaking for people because he wasn't stating an observable fact.. He was attempting to make one.. I know by a large margin that people that have played GS have agreed that a controller or joystick added to GS would not be a good idea.. For various reasons stated in one thread or another.. Some I agree with and some I don't.. The forums during the beta spent a lot of time talking about this very issue..

Now why don't you ditch this obsession with me and get back to topic.. Next time you want to make an attempt at being cute?? Don't.. :rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

The simple fact of the matter is, most people who have played this would like 2 things:

1. The ability to re-map the basic movement fuctions of yaw, pitch, roll to what they want.

2. Support for a wide variety game controllers. Having put some real stick time in, and from playing a massive amount of all things flight & space combat related on the PC, having yaw mapped to the mouse's horizontal axis will always feel clunky and backwards. 1st vs 3rd person perspective is irrelevant. We want support for sticks and gamepads alike.

Some people are more comfortable with thumbsticks on a gamepad, and some old-timers like me from the days of Falcon 2.0 and Wing Commander are always gonna be more comfortable with sticks.

(few remember the day when EA was a small company that pushed a lot of flight sims such as LHX Attack Chopper and Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. Long gone are the days of the box, sphere and pyramid. Lol.)

Edited by Masonis

How many people already have an XBox or PSx controller laying around?

Me, and one of the first things I tried was to map the controls to my controller in-game. Sadly to no avail, and I find it really hard to fathom why this support isn't in this expansion from the very start, without having to ask developers for it.

Don't get me wrong, I love using mouse and keyboard as a primary. For this though, I really would prefer the simplicity of using my controller. Certain game types are better experiences if you use the right control method, and this is really one of them. It's certainly not a case of "too many control options" for the XBox / Windows controller either, it would work nicely.

Do not tell anyone to go away and think before they post again.. You do not have the right in any way shape or form to tell someone not to post on the forums.. As for thinking?? Well.. It is obvious who didn't think when they wrote a post..

You don't have to understand what I said and the terms in which it was perfectly appropriate.. Some people don't.. You appear to fall into that category..

When someone says people voted for this or that.. Or people shopped at this store or that one.. Some people drove on the freeway.. Some people fly on airplanes.. Some people hate onions.. Some people love steak... Are they speaking for someone or are they stating an observable fact?? That is the key difference here.. What is an observable fact and what isn't.. He was speaking for people because he wasn't stating an observable fact.. He was attempting to make one.. I know by a large margin that people that have played GS have agreed that a controller or joystick added to GS would not be a good idea.. For various reasons stated in one thread or another.. Some I agree with and some I don't.. The forums during the beta spent a lot of time talking about this very issue..

Now why don't you ditch this obsession with me and get back to topic.. Next time you want to make an attempt at being cute?? Don't.. :rolleyes:

First, please don't put words in my mouth. How, by SUGGESTING you think before you post AGAIN, am I TELLING you not to post in the forums?

Second, I would argue that your initial post (that I replied to) wasn't a statment of observable facts, it was an interpretation of opinion.

Third, cute? (sorry, does that need the two eroteme for effect?) Cute is sweet babies and manga chicks, I'm too old and far too ugly for either. :rolleyes:

Wow.. Speaking for others again.. I am not attacking anyone.. I just see so many people comparing GS to other flight sim games that have a cockpit perspective or view.. GS does not have that.. That is a big issue.. It is called common sense and it seems to not be so common.. That literally is like comparing apples and oranges.. They are both fruits, but that is all the have in common..

The controls are what they are for a reason.. Bioware didn't want to put something out that would require everyone to run out and get a controller.. Believe it or not, some people don't have a controller.. Can you imagine the gripes if people had to go out and spend money to play the GS expansion?? Oh wait?? That didn't happen..

Why don't read my post and stop attempting to understand what it is I think or don't think.. I don't think anything is unrealistic and never said such a thing.. I don't have any expectations.. Again, if you aren't going to read my post then don't respond to them.. Just a common sense thing you know??

I understand the convo perfectly.. I have been having it longer than most.. This was something that also came up during the closed beta in the private forum.. How about we stop being a jerk to anyone that disagrees with you and start defending your position with actual points and logic.. Some common sense would also be nice.. Don't worry about who has your pompoms, and learn to speak for yourself..

Oh and come to terms with the idea that sometimes, someone else might have some information that you don't.. Not saying me.. Just saying.. :)

Yes you are attacking people, youre doing it non stop. You have some kind of psychotic obsession with not allowing joysticks in GSF and all of your false rationale keeps getting shot to pieces over and over and you just keep repeating it. Like js is only good for cockpit view that you keep saying over and over.

Yeah we know the closed beta people talked about this for a long time, and I would not be bragging about being one of the people who suggested leaving flight stick control out of a flight game. Bioware needs to screen their closed beta testers a lot better, it would save them a lot of headaches, I thought they would have learned that after swtors death spiral.

Yes you are attacking people, youre doing it non stop. You have some kind of psychotic obsession with not allowing joysticks in GSF and all of your false rationale keeps getting shot to pieces over and over and you just keep repeating it. Like js is only good for cockpit view that you keep saying over and over.

Yeah we know the closed beta people talked about this for a long time, and I would not be bragging about being one of the people who suggested leaving flight stick control out of a flight game. Bioware needs to screen their closed beta testers a lot better, it would save them a lot of headaches, I thought they would have learned that after swtors death spiral.

How about since it's just people ranting back and forth about unrelated issues, we just stop responding to this thread?

Edited by orangefishboy

First, please don't put words in my mouth. How, by SUGGESTING you think before you post AGAIN, am I TELLING you not to post in the forums?

Second, I would argue that your initial post (that I replied to) wasn't a statment of observable facts, it was an interpretation of opinion.

Third, cute? (sorry, does that need the two eroteme for effect?) Cute is sweet babies and manga chicks, I'm too old and far too ugly for either. :rolleyes:

Ok dude... Let's clear a few things up here.. First of all.. The only mistake I made was not actually looking at who wrote your post.. Since you were not part of the original exchange, I saw your response as being from someone else.. Your mistake was sticking your nose into another conversation that was off topic to begin with, and not to metion telling someone not to post on the forums..

Did I put words in your mouth?? Absolutely not.. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that my post wasn't completely written to you.. I was still responding to things that were said by someone else.. The person I thought I was writing to..

A word of advice.. Don't respond to off topic posts that are directed to someone else, unless you have the common sense to know that you might get a response to someone else.. Which was the case here..

You can despute anything I say all you want.. I would appreciate it if you do just that.. You are not so important that anyone on the forums needs your input or advice about anything.. If someone asks for it sure.. If you are not then keep it to yourself..

I won't stoop to your level by telling you not to post in the forums.. You do provide some comic relief to the rest of the forum, so keep it up.. :)

Edited by MajikMyst

Do you actually read posts or just gloss over them?? Where did I ever say that I suggested that controllers should be left out?? I agreed with the other 80% or so of the beta people in sayting that joysticks or controllers probably aren't a good idea.. Bioware cut them down by saying they didn't want to force people to by new hardware to play the game.. How many times do I need to repeat that before you get it??

I have not attacked anyone and you would be hard pressed at actually posting an attack from me.. This entire exchange between you and I has been about our different view of what speaking for other people means or doesn't mean, and failed attempts to get you back on topic..

You can think what you want about the developers, EA, Bioware, and the beta testers.. I could really careless.. To me all it shows is your lack of understanding of what is actually going on. They screen their beta testers just fine.. They want people that can look at the game objectively and not personally.. The beta testers also only provide input, Bioware still makes the final call.. So don't be dissing the beta testers.. We all did our part.. If you don't agree with the outcome, you have that right.. You do not have the right to attack the means in which others came to a different opinion.. If insulting is your only point and tactic.. Then you have no point or tactic.. :rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

Ok dude... Let's clear a few things up here.. First of all.. The only mistake I made was not actually looking at who wrote your post.. Since you were not part of the original exchange, I saw your response as being from someone else.. Your mistake was sticking your nose into another conversation that was off topic to begin with, and not to metion telling someone not to post on the forums..

Did I put words in your mouth?? Absolutely not.. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that my post wasn't completely written to you.. I was still responding to things that were said by someone else.. The person I thought I was writing to..

A word of advice.. Don't respond to off topic posts that are directed to someone else, unless you have the common sense to know that you might get a response to someone else.. Which was the case here..

You can despute anything I say all you want.. I would appreciate it if you do just that.. You are not so important that anyone on the forums needs your input or advice about anything.. If someone asks for it sure.. If you are not then keep it to yourself..

I won't stoop to your level by telling you not to post in the forums.. You do provide some comic relief to the rest of the forum, so keep it up.. :)

Wow, aggressive much? You have the traits of the common forum bully, anyone disagrees with you and bam, abuse. You still believe I told you not to post on the forums, and chide me for such, and then tell me that my opinion ON AN OPEN FORUM is worthless and to keep it to myself. You want a private conversation about an open discussion, take it to PMs.

I'm done with you, to continue this would be to empower you, not to mention annoy the other posters that have a serious topic to discuss. Congratulations, you are the chess-playing chicken.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.