The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Fate of the Expanded Universe

timidobserver

So, I've recently gotten into reading the Expanded Universe books. This thread is primarily to discuss the Fate of the expanded universe now that Disney owns Star Wars.

I am thinking that they may disavow the EU entirely and rule that it is simply an non-cannon alternate universe. Given that they cancelled Clone Wars and it wasn't doing bad at all, I wonder if they won't just stop authors from publishing Star Wars books completely.

Thoughts anyone?

Obviously. I am just curious as to what people think will happen.

I'm trying to not think of it personally. Mostly because there are a couple different ways they could go about it.

1. They either create an alternate universe, not likely but who knows....there is already an alternate universe of sorts within the SWU. (The Infinities)

2. They try to make the movies crunch in with the EU to not destroy everything writers have worked on adding to the lore. Or they could just change the dates of when certain events have happened and push the newer movies into there.

3. They just get rid of the EU completely, erasing everything writers have done and just put the movies a little after ROTJ.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

They will probably scrap most EU that doesn't fit the timeline of the new movies (IE. if the movies take place when the Vong war happened, they'll scrap that and everything after it).

I'm pretty sure if they do those rumored 'spin-offs,' more EU will be scrapped.

its pretty simple, the post-rotj eu will be put into an alternate universe or scrapped similar to what happened with the EU when EP1 came out. Theres no way in hell they are going to try and fit most of the material in.

See this video:

Personally I'm a big fan of the EU, but I cannot imagine that any screenwriter that is worth bringing on board for this valuable a property would want to have their storytelling hands tied by the existing EU.

The plotline for the new movies will obviously be epic in scope, so I think it's a safe bet that without making a conscious effort to fit it in the established lore, it will end up being incompatible with the timeline we've got now.

If EU fans are extremely lucky, they'll adopt some of the broad strokes of the EU into the plotline, but I'm honestly thinking these movies will be a completely fresh start.

That would be fine on its own, but I am sincerely worried that to avoid the confusion of multiple timelines, Disney will also discontinue the current EU completely (cancelling any projects they aren't already contracted into) and all future books, comics (will certainly change hands to Marvel the second whatever license deal DarkHorse has expires), and video games will be set in the Ep. VII universe.*

It'll be a shame to see the end of all the continuity worked on by Leeland Chee and the rest at LucasArts, but that's my guess for what's coming.

*My one cause for hope that this complete reboot won't happen is the precedent with Marvel. Disney spearheaded the Marvel movie universe, but did not reboot the comics (even the Ultimates line) into line with these movies. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll do the same with SW...

So, I've recently gotten into reading the Expanded Universe books. This thread is primarily to discuss the Fate of the expanded universe now that Disney owns Star Wars.

I am thinking that they may disavow the EU entirely and rule that it is simply an non-cannon alternate universe. Given that they cancelled Clone Wars and it wasn't doing bad at all, I wonder if they won't just stop authors from publishing Star Wars books completely.

Thoughts anyone?

They are already planning on expanding the EU with the new Rebels cartoon, so I doubt that.

EDIT: Additions to the post-ROTJ also continue to be made.

Edited by Beniboybling

Thoughts anyone?

I doubt they will scrub the entire EU, but the post ROTJ books will become non-canon (sadly), but they have no reason to disavow books earlier in the timeline. Disney has no reason to annoy the SW fanbase, and the EU adds dimension to the franchise, dimension they can use to add flavour to games and films, which is something they probably want.

I doubt they will scrub the entire EU, but the post ROTJ books will become non-canon (sadly), but they have no reason to disavow books earlier in the timeline. Disney has no reason to annoy the SW fanbase, and the EU adds dimension to the franchise, dimension they can use to add flavour to games and films, which is something they probably want.

The thing I am worried about most is, is that Dark Horse when their licence is up for Star Wars comics. I read that they won't be able to get it back and continue to make em. Which...sucks cause Dark Horse has been good at making Star Wars comics.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

"]Most ot he post Return EU will remain intact. Some changes will be made and some of the older books may just be retconned (please get rid of Crystal Star and Death Troopers first!) out of existence. To throw away so much wrk just foes not make a lot of sense, especially when there is still plenty of room for episodes 7-9 to be placed neatly into the current timeline.

Think about this...Who says the next trilogy has to have the story told over the course of four or five years like the Original? The Prequals took place over a decade and a half. If Episode VII takes place some 30 years after Jedi that would place it well after the Vong invasion and before the Dark Nest series. Where is the need to scrap any of those works? Episode VIII can easily take place after the Dark Nest and before the Legacy of the Force series with IX taking place after the Fate series. Plenty of room to tell the saga of the Skywalker Legacy while leaving the EU pretty much intact.

Edited by Kilikaa

The thing I am worried about most is, is that Dark Horse when their licence is up for Star Wars comics. I read that they won't be able to get it back and continue to make em. Which...sucks cause Dark Horse has been good at making Star Wars comics.

I agree, I love Dark Horse's work on the SW comics. But Disney owns Marvel, it would be outright insane for them not to reclaim the rights once Dark Horse's license lapses. Hopefully Marvel will still include references to the DH plot-lines and characters, it'd be a same to lose all that lore.

Related to this, I'm worried we'll see DH start shuffling resources away from their SW projects to properties that aren't living on borrowed time, meaning fewer and lower-quality products before the changeover happens.

I began to hate the expanded universe with "Vector Prime". TFU became the piccacle of what i thought utterly destroyed the whole OT. I have disconnected myself from it since then. Never read a book - with 1 or 2 exceptions - from the expanded universe since then.

But still ... I regard the Thrawn Trilogy as the probably best thing which has been written for Star Wars - apart from the ROTJ novel.

Maybe I'm getting too conservative nowadays - but I do miss that "sense of wonder" of the early Star Wars nowadays.

It has become too much SciFi in my opinion. I really miss the "fairy tale aspect" that was still there in "Splinter Of The Mind's Eye" and in the early Star Wars.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I began to hate the expanded universe with "Vector Prime". TFU became the piccacle of what i thought utterly destroyed the whole OT. I have disconnected myself from it since then. Never read a book - with 1 or 2 exceptions - from the expanded universe since then.

But still ... I regard the Thrawn Trilogy as the probably best thing which has been written for Star Wars - apart from the ROTJ novel.

Maybe I'm getting too conservative nowadays - but I do miss that "sense of wonder" of the early Star Wars nowadays.

It has become too much SciFi in my opinion. I really miss the "fairy tale aspect" that was still there in "Splinter Of The Mind's Eye" and in the early Star Wars.

I liked the TFU and continue too, but I agree with the last part.

Its bout time Star Wars got back to its roots!

Personally, I hope they base one of the new star wars movies on the Vong war. J.J. Abrams (I believe), will be directing the new movies. If he is, I sure hope he doesn't hire the same set designer he used in the two Star Trek movies since he made the ship's engineering section look like it's part of an oil refinery with all the cement and steel beams, (hardly material for building a 23rd century starship). If it is the same set designer, who knows how he will make the insides of vong ship's look! I will not be happy if the movies are based on the Vong war and the interior design of ships made by a species whose technology are entirely biologically based have steel supports and bolts holding it together. And he also better not change the look of any of the classic ships.:mad:

Personally, I hope they base one of the new star wars movies on the Vong war. J.J. Abrams (I believe), will be directing the new movies. If he is, I sure hope he doesn't hire the same set designer he used in the two Star Trek movies since he made the ship's engineering section look like it's part of an oil refinery with all the cement and steel beams, (hardly material for building a 23rd century starship). If it is the same set designer, who knows how he will make the insides of vong ship's look! I will not be happy if the movies are based on the Vong war and the interior design of ships made by a species whose technology are entirely biologically based have steel supports and bolts holding it together. And he also better not change the look of any of the classic ships.:mad:
Or perhaps not. This isn't Star Trek.

*My one cause for hope that this complete reboot won't happen is the precedent with Marvel. Disney spearheaded the Marvel movie universe, but did not reboot the comics (even the Ultimates line) into line with these movies. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll do the same with SW...

They didn't have to because the Marvel movies have never been tied to the comics except in the most vague of terms...which is a smart way of doing it. You have the movies... you have the other media... and they are separate things that happen to use the same characters. Lucas held to that view personally of Star Wars and said many times that *his* Star Wars universe only covers the stuff in the movies, nothing else.

Which is why when Episodes 1-3 came out they completely gutted the version of "The Clone Wars" that was described in the Thrawn stuff. Which was a version where clones were made of lots of different living people including Jedi to lead them and because of the force getting confused by two or more of the same thing existing it drove the clones insane and caused them to start killing their reals.

I personally thing that would have been more interesting, Clone Obi vrs Real Obi and the like, with Palpatine taking advantage of the death and destruction to take over the govt but that wasn't what we got.

Yes.

That's the only part of the EU that I really, really loved. it would ground SW a bit after the Prequel Super-Jedi SFX. Which is probably why it won't happen.

The prequels gutted a huge part of the story focus behind the Thrawn trilogy which was that when you make clones of people the clones go insane because of their connection to the force and it getting confused. Even worse when you clone Jedi... which in the movie version of the clone war they didn't clone jedi and all the clones were from one person.