Which is better for PVP, Assassin or Sorc?

Bayonetwork

Just a simple question, really. Which class is more viable in PVP? More importantly, which class is more beneficial to the group dynamic, and which class can hold its own better in a 1v1 situation?

Though sorcs look like they can dish out some pretty nasty damage, they seem easily singled out and burst down.

The Assassin looks a little more fun to play, from the looks of it. Sorcs seem to be mainly about spamming abilities at a distance and hoping nobody notices.

Also...looks kind of silly that Sorcs stand with an unused saber in their hand. Speaking of which, do Assassins have more saber abilities than Force ones?

thx

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For now, madness sorc for ranked arenas and any tree for unranked objective wzs.

Sins suck in ranked arenas, no matter what spec unless you are one of the best sins in all the servers and have very good teammates to back you up.

Sins are getting a buff in 2.5 but for now we can only speculate how it will actually affect PvP. Tanks and hybrids will probably be the next sin specs.

1 v 1 sins are the strongest class in the game, madness sorcs and marksmen snipers might be able to beat them though (providing the sap heal isn't used).

Edited by sithBracer

I can really only talk about Sins since I have barley played my Sage, don't really like the playstyle.

Deception Sins are probably one of the best 1 v 1 classes in the hands of a talented player. They have great burst damage coming form stealth but they are very crit dependent. They don't have great sustained damage so if you can't kill someone with the opening burst you may be out of luck (talking about an organized game where your target will get guarded, taunts, heals etc.). They are absolutely lethal in regs as things like that rarely happen. Especially if you can sneak up on someone that is already at 75%-50% health.

They are a fun class to play and have a pretty decent amount of utility. Stealth, taunts (AoE taunt doesn't break stealth), Force Shroud for running hutball, Sprint and phase walk can be pretty useful if used properly.

Tanking on my Shadow is something I never quite got the hang of but I never made any dedicated efforts towards doing it. But the pull from stealth is amazing in HB. see

In the hands of a 1 in 10000 player? Assassin.

Otherwise don't even bother. This class doesn't work unless you know exactly what you're doing.

I think you are confusing rocket since with playing an assassin... I have no idea were you got the numbers above but if you think you are "all that" for playing good with an assassin... Just lol...

Assassins need more skill then the usual smasher but that is about it...

Edited by Xanas

For now, madness sorc for ranked arenas and any tree for unranked objective wzs.

Sins suck in ranked arenas, no matter what spec unless you are one of the best sins in all the servers and have very good teammates to back you up.

Sins are getting a buff in 2.5 but for now we can only speculate how it will actually affect PvP. Tanks and hybrids will probably be the next sin specs.

1 v 1 sins are the strongest class in the game, madness sorcs and marksmen snipers might be able to beat them though (providing the sap heal isn't used).

This is interesting, because I've been reading other threats where people have been having trouble with sorcs (especially in arena).

Seems they're easily focused down.

OP, don't listen to the posters in this thread. It's obvious they themselves play Assasins/Shadow. Assasins/Shadow are arguably the best class in PVP. They have a plethora of offensive burst and formidable defensive cooldowns to counter each and every class in the game. In order for Sorc's to be viable in Arena's the entire team strategy must be predicated on playing defensive and protecting the Sorc, along with saving all of their CC abilities to mitigate the assist train that Sorc's face every arena match. In WZ's it's bit different. Sorc's do pretty well providing they have good healer support. With elite healer support a Sorc will decimate a WZ. When it comes to arenas, that's a entire different story. One thing that you can count on each and every match you enter as a Sorc, is that the opposing teams already know you're the easiest one to kill, so you will be the focus every match, and will spend more time kiting then you will standing and casting. If the opposing team has any stealth classes you're as good as done. They will pop out of stealth, and completely lock you down. And since Sorc's give out crits like Government cheese, expect to die quickly unless your entire team is working in unison to protect you. In Solo q, you can forget about that, in team ranked, no one is gonna want you unless you're playing with people you know, that's because the team will be more effective with a Maurader, Powertech, Sniper, etc. If I were you I would stay away from Sorc until this game is re balanced. Playing as a Sorc in Arenas is equivalent to playing a Warlock in WoW, minus the Fel Armor, Soul Link, Death Coil and Health Stone. That's how naked defensively the Sorc's have been left by this development team.

I think you are confusing rocket since with playing an assassin... I have no idea were you got the numbers above but if you think you are "all that" for playing good with an assassin... Just lol...

There is a lot more complication to this class than just doing enough damage and picking the right targets. There is so much more you can do than any other class in the game could ever dream to achieve. But almost nobody realizes it.

As an addendum to my previous post. How many live Streams have you seen with Sorc's playing in Solo Q arena? I have't seen any outside of Beta. I've seen the 4 Sorc team work in 4x4, but I have yet to see a DPS sorc, let me emphasize DPS Sorc, I've seen some Sorc healers do pretty well, even though OP's are leaps and bounds ahead of them. I challenge any DPS Sorc/Sage to live Stream your matches, in Solo ranked.

OP, don't listen to the posters in this thread. It's obvious they themselves play Assasins/Shadow. Assasins/Shadow are arguably the best class in PVP.

Just want to quote this cause it's lol worthy.

I dont think Sins need a buff and they absolutely destroy regstars due to their current mechanics however they are not the best class or arguably the best class for competitive PvP for reasons that have been beat to death. They are great in regs if you arent a terrible player and solo areas where you face terrible players.

That said play what you like based on play style and what you want to do, dont play what's OP right now, you get more out of making a class shine that is considered bad. Look at the VG/PT train right now, went from heavy PvP pop to low with a nerf, now that they are strong the FoTM train is back in action. If you ride that train then go with what the "people" tell you.

Pretty much. I'm a relative noob with my Infil Shadow, yet I have little trouble derpstabbing people to death, 1v1 or otherwise. Granted, I don't run ranked or participate in tournaments on it, but I wouldn't say that I "shouldn't bother" because I don't know it inside out.

No he's not.

Yes he is. Assassins are fine in ranked arena's. You just need to know how to work the class.

Player issues for 99% of the people that try.

Pretty much. I'm a relative noob with my Infil Shadow, yet I have little trouble derpstabbing people to death, 1v1 or otherwise. Granted, I don't run ranked or participate in tournaments on it, but I wouldn't say that I "shouldn't bother" because I don't know it inside out.

I do have experience there and I said that. Your opinion is void.

Edited by Evolixe

From experience, when I'm playing my operative healer, deception assassins are one of the few classes that really drag down my game. Stealth, spike, and maul together is simply too good for distracting healers. Once an assassin gets the drop on me, I have about 1 second to make a decision on whether to waste cloak for the next 2 minutes or to try to roll away (which will fail if I get hit with a slow down too). Don't listen to people who say assassins are awful. Those people are probably really bad assassins who don't know how to properly manage their defensive cool downs or how to pick targets.

"But-But-But you'll die fast in guild matches where the entire team focuses on attacking you."

Yeah, every class that isn't in tank spec or rage marauder is going to die fast when an entire team's DPS decides to focus you at once. That's not an assassin problem. That's an almost everyone problem.

Just want to quote this cause it's lol worthy.

I dont think Sins need a buff and they absolutely destroy regstars due to their current mechanics however they are not the best class or arguably the best class for competitive PvP for reasons that have been beat to death. They are great in regs if you arent a terrible player and solo areas where you face terrible players.

That said play what you like based on play style and what you want to do, dont play what's OP right now, you get more out of making a class shine that is considered bad. Look at the VG/PT train right now, went from heavy PvP pop to low with a nerf, now that they are strong the FoTM train is back in action. If you ride that train then go with what the "people" tell you.

IMO PT/VG"s were never nerfed, despte the bads crying that they could no longer faceroll the keyboard any longer, they actually had to burn a few brain cells before they killed someone. I play with some of the best PT's on my server, and none of them, I mean none, were affected by the changes, they still topped the damage charts just as they did before some of their burst damage was modified to damage over time.

from experience, when i'm playing my operative healer, deception assassins are one of the few classes that really drag down my game. Stealth, spike, and maul together is simply too good for distracting healers. Once an assassin gets the drop on me, i have about 1 second to make a decision on whether to waste cloak for the next 2 minutes or to try to roll away (which will fail if i get hit with a slow down too). Don't listen to people who say assassins are awful. Those people are probably really bad assassins who don't know how to properly manage their defensive cool downs or how to pick targets.

"but-but-but you'll die fast in guild matches where the entire team focuses on attacking you."

yeah, every class that isn't in tank spec or rage marauder is going to die fast when an entire team's dps decides to focus you at once. That's not an assassin problem. That's an almost everyone problem.

qft!!!

IMO PT/VG"s were never nerfed, despte the bads crying that they could no longer faceroll the keyboard any longer, they actually had to burn a few brain cells before they killed someone. I play with some of the best PT's on my server, and none of them, I mean none, were affected by the changes, they still topped the damage charts just as they did before some of their burst damage was modified to damage over time.

OK, I'm quite new to this, so what is VG and PT?

Assassin is an amazing class for PvP , deception that is.

i feel absolute nerfed when i play my marauder after playing my sin.

when i see in a pug arena that there are sroc in my team i really want to leave the wz.

is the first one that gets focused . i dont find assassin hard to play; you have a tool for everything, even a "smash shield".

its like playing a piano but if you get good at it, noone will kill you; no way

From experience, when I'm playing my operative healer, deception assassins are one of the few classes that really drag down my game. Stealth, spike, and maul together is simply too good for distracting healers. Once an assassin gets the drop on me, I have about 1 second to make a decision on whether to waste cloak for the next 2 minutes or to try to roll away (which will fail if I get hit with a slow down too). Don't listen to people who say assassins are awful. Those people are probably really bad assassins who don't know how to properly manage their defensive cool downs or how to pick targets.

"But-But-But you'll die fast in guild matches where the entire team focuses on attacking you."

Yeah, every class that isn't in tank spec or rage marauder is going to die fast when an entire team's DPS decides to focus you at once. That's not an assassin problem. That's an almost everyone problem.

You don't have to do that to an assassin. All you need is a push and a root then suddenly they are not so dangerous.

Maybe it's a good thing there are more sins. operatives don't have a push at least while the other healing classes do. Sins are real pressure while a lot of the other DPS can be evaded via LOS.

I do have experience there and I said that. Your opinion is void.

Doesn't explain why I'm successful with the Shadow, despite having pretty mediocre knowledge/experience with the class. In my hands, it pretty much works, despite me not being the 1 in 10000 Sins.

Perhaps you should have worded this in a little more specific manner.

In the hands of a 1 in 10000 player? Assassin.

Otherwise don't even bother. This class doesn't work [in competitive ranked] unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Maybe that's what you meant? In this case, I would probably agree. But I don't think the OP meant solely competitive PvP.

Edited by Helig

I'll be honest, I wasn't really expecting so many people to speak ill of assassins. With their stealth capabilities and high burst damage, I was certain more people would have beef with sorcs.

Magic casters often take more discipline to play, as they do scream "hey, right here, kill me! I'm soft!" in most PVP situations. I figured people would have similar issues with sorcs.

Thanks for all the input, though.

I'll be honest, I wasn't really expecting so many people to speak ill of assassins. With their stealth capabilities and high burst damage, I was certain more people would have beef with sorcs.

Magic casters often take more discipline to play, as they do scream "hey, right here, kill me! I'm soft!" in most PVP situations. I figured people would have similar issues with sorcs.

Thanks for all the input, though.

The only "problem" with the Assassin is that it's not as easy to play as derpsmash.

Edited by Helig