The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

(Another) new companion proposal

I got a chance to briefly mention my other concept for a companion in my original companion proposal thread, but - as was noted there - it really belongs in a discussion of its own. That said, I'd like to suggest the addition of a female pirate-type as a new companion, available (like Treek) for either cartel coins, purchasable by anyone; or credits, purchasable by those with sufficiently high legacy level.

As with my previous thread, she would have to be someone comfortable working for either the Republic or the Empire, Light Side or Dark Side. Maybe she's just in it for the money, but eventually develops a sense of loyalty toward the character? Or, perhaps, joins the character as part of a release program to serve the Republic/Empire, as an alternative to a decade or so of hard time in MaxSec? (The latter also opens up the possibility of a high-affection companion conversation wherein she's considered to have officially worked off her debt to society, but decides to stick around, anyway, because she's come to appreciate her new home with the crew.)

My reasons for this proposal:

This companion could be programmed to romance characters of either gender, making her an option for an ongoing female same-gender romance. (I figure, if I'm going to suggest an option for a potential same-gender romance for men in one thread, it's only fair - and certainly makes sense - to also suggest one for the women of the galaxy.)

I'd recommend giving her an assault cannon for her primary weapon. Right now, it's a weapon with a very narrow appeal, and it's completely useless to the entire Imperial faction. This would expand the utility and desirability of the assault cannon. Also, I think Empire players would appreciate the ability - even if only via a companion - to throw around that kind of firepower.

The space pirate/outlaw (in the vein of Han Solo; specifically, when we first meet him in A New Hope) is a core archetype of Star Wars, but not all classes get to enjoy a companion who reflects that aspect of the setting. Casting a female companion in this role also goes a little ways toward leveling the gender balance of the shady, criminal underworld-types in the game.

As with the prior thread, it's a wildly out-there suggestion, but I figured there's no harm in putting it forward.

Edited by Nocturnalchemy

• 1 month later...
Once again, I support your suggestion for additional companions wholeheartedly. I love the idea of giving her an assault cannon, too. That would keep away the 'frail daisy' image that all the other female companions have, but she can still be feminine.

Once again, I support your suggestion for additional companions wholeheartedly. I love the idea of giving her an assault cannon, too. That would keep away the 'frail daisy' image that all the other female companions have, but she can still be feminine.

Who would you say is a 'frail daisy'? How would giving her any other weapon make her 'less feminine'? Maybe she's not a very feminine woman - she might be an extremely feminine woman. A weapon doesn't change that.

And besides, what the hell is a 'frail daisy', anyway? Daisies are plants.

And, since I didn't previously mention it in this thread, the other species that I think might work nicely for this companion are Chiss, Mirialan, or Nautolan. In theory, I could also see a case for Anzati or Zeltron. Lastly, if they could figure out a way to pull off an attractive Weequay, that could also be cool.

/signed!

Jinx?

Hah! I see I'm not the only one that had that thought.

And, since I didn't previously mention it in this thread, the other species that I think might work nicely for this companion are Chiss, Mirialan, or Nautolan. In theory, I could also see a case for Anzati or Zeltron. Lastly, if they could figure out a way to pull off an attractive Weequay, that could also be cool.

How about a Theelin like this girl?

And finally... if she's going to be a space pirate, I expect her to make some reference to Andronikos at some point. ;)

It would continue the tradition of companions knowing each other.

Edited by Callaron

A Theelin could certainly be cool, so long as she didn't have the weird hoof-feet that some of them get (as that would surely create some pretty serious clipping issues with boots). Honestly, though, at this point, I'm really leaning toward wanting to see a Falleen or Chiss companion.

Unless I'm mistaken, the hoofed ones are some kind of hybrids - the purebloods and the Theelin-human hybrids don't get them.

Otherwise she'd have to run around barefoot like Qyzen. :D

A Chiss would be pretty awesome though, and easy to do since the race is already in-game - so it'd be much easier to do for Bioware.

Maybe she fled the Ascendancy, and picked up her new lifestyle somewhere along the way.

My understanding is that Theelins are genetically unstable, and they often just end up with weird mutations.

Ah, in that case it'd be entirely up to the writers and artists what to do. :)

I guess a lot will depend on whether they want to continue the tradition of making unlockable companions exotic (like HK & Treek) or whether they want to add some more "standard" ones into the mix.

• 2 weeks later...

A Space Pirate would be a great idea, I'd support/buy this. But I'd also like to see them add a whole slue of "near-human" customizations so that you could essentially have whatever species you wanted, for a companion species is just cosmetic and within the IP people live on all different planets from many different species so it should be fairly easy to make a nice and generic backstory that avoids the "what species are you" question.

- Raith

Who would you say is a 'frail daisy'? How would giving her any other weapon make her 'less feminine'? Maybe she's not a very feminine woman - she might be an extremely feminine woman. A weapon doesn't change that.

And besides, what the hell is a 'frail daisy', anyway? Daisies are plants.

That's what I was wondering.

Most, if not all, of the female companions are bad***.

Edited by VitalityPrime

A Space Pirate would be a great idea, I'd support/buy this. But I'd also like to see them add a whole slue of "near-human" customizations so that you could essentially have whatever species you wanted, for a companion species is just cosmetic and within the IP people live on all different planets from many different species so it should be fairly easy to make a nice and generic backstory that avoids the "what species are you" question.

Hmmmmmmm... I'm not sure about that. Of the various nonhuman companions I've dealt with, so far, in the game, species identity seems to be pretty important. Vette's experience of being a Twi'ek is fairly central to her personality, and Kaliyo's experience as a Rattataki has clearly shaped who she is. Likewise, Qyzen is who and what he is specifically because he's a Trandoshan, and the same can be said for Khem and his identity as a Deshade.

Hmmmmmmm... I'm not sure about that. Of the various nonhuman companions I've dealt with, so far, in the game, species identity seems to be pretty important. Vette's experience of being a Twi'ek is fairly central to her personality, and Kaliyo's experience as a Rattataki has clearly shaped who she is. Likewise, Qyzen is who and what he is specifically because he's a Trandoshan, and the same can be said for Khem and his identity as a Deshade.

Agreed.

Every companion is influenced by their race and station to some degree, even the non-aliens.

Take Elara Dorne for example; a great deal of her story revolves around her family being "patriots", with a proud tradition of Dornes serving in the Imperial army - if she suddenly were to be an alien her whole backstory would collapse - due to the Empire's stance regarding aliens.

So I'm against race becoming a "replaceable part" as well.