2.5 everyone gets buffed, except... YOU!

Telos

I agree, snipers can be very fragile, especially as lethality.

I rarely solo que, cant be bothered its simply too random and not very enjoyable in my opinion.

A snipers strengths, is his ability to burst focus target and do alot of CC's which does not come to its rights in solo que, only in organized PvP with voice communication. A sniper entering solo que, getting a 4 dps vs 4 dps will usually be very high on the "to kill first list", maybe even above sorcs because of their bubble.

Balance between PvE to PvP and Solo que to organized PvP is not easy to find. For organized PvP snipers are currently a very powerfull class.

Im mostly running a team with 1 MM sniper, 1 Lethality/Engineer hybrid, 1 PT skank tank in tank gear and OP heals. To anybody who havent tried this, let me just say its extremely powerfull, and not squishy in any kind of way.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone says that Snipers are a well balanced class, but while we can put out good damage, our surviveability is lacking imo. I'm currently a Lethality Spec on my main, and I am ALWAYS the first one targeted and I usually die within 4-5 seconds, just enough to throw up my defensive CD's, use covered escape (when it works and doesn't keep me in place), and get off maybe one attack. My nickname in most arena's is 'bait', as we all know they'll go for me first. Sometimes I am able to get away and do my damage, but 9/10 times, I get locked down, usually by Assassins/Shadows and killed hard and fast.

I've been hearing rumors that they will be nerfing us in an upcoming patch or expansion, along with Operative healers. The one thing that I'd give anything for is a defensive CD along the lines of Force Camoflage of the Marauders. Give us a short term stealth to let us get out of danger and re-position ourselves. Not a buff, just something to let us survive just a little bit longer.

Exactly what i'm saying with that zeroing shots reverted to state prior 2.0. I mean if u can do a full rotation on ur MM sniper in an solo queue ranked arena it means that the guys on other team are just idiots, on ToFN whenever i fire my first shot in an arena and im the one rdps there i get focused instantly because to survive as a sniper in solo arena queue is a damn hard challenge.

I really think this guy is trolling and a good majority of you fell for it. One of the best PvP classes in this game and he is saying your not getting buffs?

Hell, they should be balancing every class in this game around snipers and operatives.

But, what if your rotation was like this

Laze Target > Orbital Strike > Cover > Shatter Shot > Snipe > FT > Snipe > Snipe > FT > Ambush > FT > Shatter Shot > SoS > FT > SV > SoS > FT

Didnt Zeroing Shots need a Crit from snipe or SoS for the proc? Why not make it 1 snipe or 1 SoS (full Channel) proc 1 stack of Zeroing Shots?

I will say Laze Target is pretty useless, i would like to see a CD reducer for Laze Target in MM since Snipe IS used 3 times in it's rotation. That though would put Snipers even higher above Marauders, Sorcs, and Mercs ( i dont count Sin and PT DPS because they both suck.)

You my friend have not run into the right Sin or PT.

I've been hearing rumors that they will be nerfing us in an upcoming patch or expansion, along with Operative healers. The one thing that I'd give anything for is a defensive CD along the lines of Force Camoflage of the Marauders. Give us a short term stealth to let us get out of danger and re-position ourselves. Not a buff, just something to let us survive just a little bit longer.

Op healer nerf is in 2.5 with cover change

snipers are in a ok place right now BUT in arenas snipers are weak compared to most other specs/classes.

i wud love my dots to be uncleansible BUT it wud make us op for sure and every sniper wud go lethality spec for pvp.

as for overload alot of snipers hardly use it due to hi cost unless your engineering spec its free ofc.

This is ********.

One of the very strongest teams right now (only been defeated twice atm) is a setup with a skanktank (fake powertech tank), 2snipers and operative healer

We're only weak when going solo and get no help from our teammates. Though I've had to switch from Lethality back to Marksmenship in order to put out the burst that is needed in arenas, but it lets me survive longer too.

If we have someone watching our back, it lets us survive a little longer, but we are still probably the squishiest class in the game, a true Glass Cannon. I'd say that the only class that is squishier would be the Sorc/Sage.

Orbital nerfs incoming for sure tho can't talk bout it :| *zip*

Anywho, question for the pro sniper pvpers out there. I just solo q arenas and have a hard time surviving. Most of the time they focus me (i'm wearing full pve gear) and can only survive for like 30 seconds before i drop dead :|

Edited by paowee

Anywho, question for the pro sniper pvpers out there. I just solo q arenas and have a hard time surviving. Most of the time they focus me (i'm wearing full pve gear) and can only survive for like 30 seconds before i drop dead :|

How much expertise does bolster give you? Bolster is completely messed up and not really working, so some PvE gear will actually give you better stats than Min/max's Obroan gear. Im pretty sure this only happens with older gear though.

You dont want to go much lower than the 2018 expertise PvP'ers have, which I assume you are in full PvE gear.

That said, even in fully min/maxed obroan I dont like 4 dps vs 4 dps games in solo que. Pretty much always the nr 1 priority and spent my short time in each round kiting around pillars trying to buy my teammates time to get the upper hand. Snipers are strong for arena's, but solo que is a different ball game.

Edited by ZipZep

How much expertise does bolster give you?

I queued with our other raid team Sniper who's in mostly 180/168 stuff, he had just a tad above 1000 expertise. He had about 37k HP to my 31k and did good total damage, but it was in normal queue with lots of derps. I think level 66 mods gets full bolster, anything above gets a lot less.

Paowee, you tease! Tell us if you know anything!! :p

Paowee,

leath is great with tank and heals, so it's bad for ranked solo que. You almost always have to be running away. Just don't use it for solo que.

Eng with survivblity from the mm tree would be the best choice for solo que(good for ranked 4v4 too), drop orbs and tell your team to get in it. Distance is key, and the 2x rolls help so much, always keep the shield up. I always get top dps, and if I die I do crazy aoe damage first. I just end up using my rolls for extra dps tho (not explaining(, and no, not a wall bang).

Edited by Aewu

Paowee,

leath is great with tank and heals, so it's bad for ranked solo que. You almost always have to be running away. Just don't use it for solo que.

Eng with survivblity from the mm tree would be the best choice for solo que(good for ranked 4v4 too), drop orbs and tell your team to get in it. Distance is key, and the 2x rolls help so much, always keep the shield up. I always get top dps, and if I die I do crazy aoe damage first. I just end up using my rolls for extra dps tho (not explaining(, and no, not a wall bang).

Yes, Engineer is the best for solo ranked, although it is still inferior to specs of other classes in solo ranked.

...I wasn't going to post due to the thread age, but someone revived it two days ago. So here we go.

Sniper is arguably the most balanced class in the game. It does good, but has it's own weaknesses. The only real BIG problem is related to engineering feeling clunky, which is being worked on. No complaints.

I queued with our other raid team Sniper who's in mostly 180/168 stuff, he had just a tad above 1000 expertise. He had about 37k HP to my 31k and did good total damage, but it was in normal queue with lots of derps. I think level 66 mods gets full bolster, anything above gets a lot less.

Paowee, you tease! Tell us if you know anything!! :p

People do not want to read or do math. Bolster is pretty good now and had to try and balance alot of things so don't expect it to work like a TV soundbite. My crafted purple 66s get full bolster after that it it starts to drop (like the person above said).

If you have really good PVE gear your extra life and damage will drop like a stone inside a WZ. The big PVE damage and health numbers have to be modified by the lost percentage in the PVP bonuses as shown in a war zone. Anything else is just reactionary and based on second hand info that may have been true 4months ago for a short time. I only use the old 2piece tracer missile PVE bonus on my merc and if I am running with good healers I like the implants added third stat bonus. Crafted 66 Implants and Earpieces seem to be the best of all the PVE gear but you will still loose about 1-2k life for a boost to another stat. The crafted 66 stuff is great if you have multiple 55s because a couple of dailies will give your new toon some pretty decent stuff and about 25k life with full bolster while they are getting their PVP gear.

Please NOTE: mk9 blue augments asap on all armor and weapons ASAP, then start working on purples

...I wasn't going to post due to the thread age, but someone revived it two days ago. So here we go.

Sniper is arguably the most balanced class in the game. It does good, but has it's own weaknesses. The only real BIG problem is related to engineering feeling clunky, which is being worked on. No complaints.

See there's the problem... Damage-wise, yes, we're in a good place. But then we run into the same problem arsenal Mercs have... We have to sit in one spot to be effective. As soon as we are forced out of cover, we become more than useless... We become a liability. In every single arena game I've been in, any team that doesn't focus me in the first round sure as hell will in the second and third rounds, and unlike Mara/sent, scoundrel/op, sin/shadow, we have no way to escape being focused. Flashbang can be effective in that situation, but we have no way to force a target swap away from us.

pvp related: i too think the sniper is a damn well balanced BUT

in warzones we are fairly balenced, but in arenas you can be slaughtered none stop as the 1st target.

last night did 15 areana matches, 13 of them i was 1st target, one other game it was a 2nd sniper we had, and last game we had a healer.

most games had multiple stealths or smash monkeys, and would open on me and kill me most times b4 i could do even one ability. some games i got called for being crap, but when 3 stealhs pop out on you you wont walk away from that especially since 14 out of 15 games we had no healer in either team.

and in the games we lost and won where the other team had a gunslinger or sniper they were dead most times same as i was was almost like the battle was decided who can kill the sniper / gunslinger quickest lol

See there's the problem... Damage-wise, yes, we're in a good place. But then we run into the same problem arsenal Mercs have... We have to sit in one spot to be effective. As soon as we are forced out of cover, we become more than useless... We become a liability. In every single arena game I've been in, any team that doesn't focus me in the first round sure as hell will in the second and third rounds, and unlike Mara/sent, scoundrel/op, sin/shadow, we have no way to escape being focused. Flashbang can be effective in that situation, but we have no way to force a target swap away from us.

\sign

Absolutely agree. We need more survivability.

It's going to be a while till we see any changes. It's been so long with nothing to test and it's getting boring :( There are no Orbital changes coming in 2.5 because they are taking their time and want to make sure it's going to be balanced :\ Edited by paowee

snipers are in a ok place right now BUT in arenas snipers are weak compared to most other specs/classes.

i wud love my dots to be uncleansible BUT it wud make us op for sure and every sniper wud go lethality spec for pvp.

as for overload alot of snipers hardly use it due to hi cost unless your engineering spec its free ofc.

Makes me glad I went engineering spec :D

MM and Lethality are both very competitive specs for arena's. Solo que is hard for snipers though, but I certainly dont feel we need a buff to survivability. If we get buffed mercs, sorcs and Operative dps needs to be super buffed.

Aren't we in a good spot dps wise? Only thing they would need to nerf would be hybrid. So why mess with Orbital and screw every sniper build?

It's going to be a while till we see any changes. It's been so long with nothing to test and it's getting boring :( There are no Orbital changes coming in 2.5 because they are taking their time and want to make sure it's going to be balanced :\