The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A Little Help With AP Powertech (PVP)

Jagangla

Hi! So, I'm posting this because I am trying to gear my Powertech for PvP and...........I have a little problem. A frustrating, yelling out obscenities, and throwing computers type of problem. :confused:

The problem is I am trying to follow Koozie's amazing Powertech guide and for gear he states certain values to reach. Well...I've been buying the set pieces of Conqueror Tech Master gear and now trying to min/max but I can't seem to mix the right mods and enhancements!!!! I have wasted so many comms trying to achieve this that I am really sad and have been walking around with a keyboard imprint on my forehead for a couple of weeks now. :(

If anyone out there can help me, say...post the type of enhancement, mods, etc and how many you used to achieve the numbers to be a beast in PvP, it would be super amazing and I'll love you forever! Thank you so much!!!

P.S-Noxxic seems wrong to me......

Hi! So, I'm posting this because I am trying to gear my Powertech for PvP and...........I have a little problem. A frustrating, yelling out obscenities, and throwing computers type of problem. :confused:

The problem is I am trying to follow Koozie's amazing Powertech guide and for gear he states certain values to reach. Well...I've been buying the set pieces of Conqueror Tech Master gear and now trying to min/max but I can't seem to mix the right mods and enhancements!!!! I have wasted so many comms trying to achieve this that I am really sad and have been walking around with a keyboard imprint on my forehead for a couple of weeks now. :(

If anyone out there can help me, say...post the type of enhancement, mods, etc and how many you used to achieve the numbers to be a beast in PvP, it would be super amazing and I'll love you forever! Thank you so much!!!

P.S-Noxxic seems wrong to me......

First things first. You need to min/max 65s first - don't start on Ob gear because it takes ages to grind even for the neckbeards out there. The easiest way to do this is to replace every single enhancement you have with the Adept Enhancement (High power + Surge) and then use the mods get about 280 crit. The mods you use are called Advanced Nimble Mod 28X and have 46 crit on them. 6 advanced nimble mods are sufficient and then you can use Advanced Agile mods (46 power) to fill the rest of the mod slots. For earpiece use the combat tech MK-1 (high power surge), and for Implants use the combat medic MK-1 (high power surge). That should set you up nicely. When you are fully geared in Ob you should be running approx. 3100 aim, 750 power, 280ish crit, 2018 expertise. Just an estimate I am not fully min maxed yet but almost there. Good luck!

New vanguard here as well. Is the 280 crit really worth it, instead of power stacking? I play as ap in ion and thought that it would be necessary but other advised to just stack power. Which way seems to yield the best results?

On heaps of classes it isn't really worth it to stack crit (e.g., op heals, sorc heals, smash mara etc) because they get such crit chance bonuses or they have auto crit moves (e.g., wrecklessness, force crush/beserk ---> smash. PT does have auto crit railshot but it is every 10 GCDs that you get to use that (and it is not a huge hit (approx 5k damage). We get small bonuses to our crit (6% to fire effects, 6% to rocket punch (+15% to set bonus). Because Flamethrower and Immolate hit like a wet noodle if they don't crit it is important they do crit a good amount of the time. This is why I am running the Crit relic and 300 crit now. if you run 0 crit chance you will have a crit chance on your fire effects of about 25% (1 in 4 immolate will hit for 7K or 1 flamer tick will hit for 4k+). If you run 280-300 crit you get an extra 6% + 7.5% everytime your crit relic procs every 20 seconds for 6 seconds (giving you a crit chance of just below 40% on your fire effects (just over 31% passive. Now lets say you flamethrower people in a group (4 at once - happens a few times a warzone i would say) Having the extra crit on flamethrower increases your DPS more than power ever can based on odds. Just because you hit for 8k instead of 7.7k on a crit because you stack power means nothing. Lots of noobs have a menality that OMG MASSIVE CRIT IM DA BEST BRO! But actually i would rather hit consistently large crits then get 1 massive one every 10 years.

Koozie....I can't find the Conqueror Relic of Elemental Transcendance :o

Where did you find this?

They removed it from the game.

In addition to the assault power relic, you can either run the mainstat bonus or the crit bonus relic.

It's a trade off, the mainstat bonus is about half of the points a crit relic, but the mainstat relic lasts twice as long.

On heaps of classes it isn't really worth it to stack crit (e.g., op heals, sorc heals, smash mara etc) because they get such crit chance bonuses or they have auto crit moves (e.g., wrecklessness, force crush/beserk ---> smash. PT does have auto crit railshot but it is every 10 GCDs that you get to use that (and it is not a huge hit (approx 5k damage). We get small bonuses to our crit (6% to fire effects, 6% to rocket punch (+15% to set bonus). Because Flamethrower and Immolate hit like a wet noodle if they don't crit it is important they do crit a good amount of the time. This is why I am running the Crit relic and 300 crit now. if you run 0 crit chance you will have a crit chance on your fire effects of about 25% (1 in 4 immolate will hit for 7K or 1 flamer tick will hit for 4k+). If you run 280-300 crit you get an extra 6% + 7.5% everytime your crit relic procs every 20 seconds for 6 seconds (giving you a crit chance of just below 40% on your fire effects (just over 31% passive. Now lets say you flamethrower people in a group (4 at once - happens a few times a warzone i would say) Having the extra crit on flamethrower increases your DPS more than power ever can based on odds. Just because you hit for 8k instead of 7.7k on a crit because you stack power means nothing. Lots of noobs have a menality that OMG MASSIVE CRIT IM DA BEST BRO! But actually i would rather hit consistently large crits then get 1 massive one every 10 years.

The fact that Koozie does less dmg on his PT than when Jonie or I are running around in tank stance speaks to the opposite. Run with full power gear, unless you happen to be a pve'er, the crit is mathematically of lesser value to you than the power. Only in higher tier gears does crit start to have a higher value (ie- full PvE gear, stats you can't achieve in PvP gear). Use a crit relic, as they are good when you do not have any crit stacked. The second you start putting crit into your gear, you reduce the effectiveness of that relic as it does encounter the DR curve based on your base crit as well.

Prolly the best vanguard dps on Bastion (Bacon'n'eggs) runs around with full power. There is no reason to run any crit tbh.

TL;DR- In PvP, running high crit builds on a sustain aoe spec like AP is a bad idea. You want consistent massive dmg, not an extra few percentage chance to get a nice hit. Especially in arena. How you gear is important.

Edited by Treblt