Is the collectors edition worth it ?

Dysehunter

As the title says, I'm really regretting not getting the collectors edition because I really love the look of the imperial trooper armour.

I looked today and I could buy the Collectors edition for £150 / $239.65 which is stupid money and no way in hell would I pay that.

Is there any chance Bioware will bring out any imperial armour that looks as good or close ?

Not really, not for the price individual sellers want for it. Apart from physical and digital stuff, the very high cost was also supposed to fund dynamic updates to the exclusive vendor and Ohlen was talking about him receiving exclusive weapons and items, even post-release I think. :[ It only got few ugly dyes and one cartel market headpiece recolor. Similar were on gtn, cheaper.

To be honest, at retail price I don't think it is worth it unless you actually want all the physical goodies such as the statue. Which a lot of people did, I'm sure. :) I wasn't very interested in most of the physical items, so I made the choice to settle for the standard edition when I bought it.

The Imperial Trooper armor is great, and was one of the main reasons why I splurged and bought the CE when it was on clearance for $30. But if that is the only thing you want, it's probably not worth the high cost you mentioned.

I think there is a similar armor available (?), though. I want to say it is obtained on Makeb (the reputation vendor I think), but I don't remember so hopefully someone else will be able to tell you.

If you're looking for similar armor. you could always build up your makeb reputation to hero I believe and get the armor set there which is white. use black/red or black/black dye to make it look closer. Id suggest against buying the collectors edition because Ive seen quite a few threads where someone bought it year or more later and the code had already been used. I'm not saying don't buy it. I'm just saying it might be a good idea not to. Unless you also want the other goodies that comes with it

I would say "no".

However, I think it is very much worth it to get the regular game, then buy the Digital Upgrade Pack:

https://www.swtor.com/user/digitalupgrade

Most of it is useless, but getting a free speeder for every future character you create is worth the price of admission all by itself. Best five bucks you'll ever spend on an in-game transaction.

I picked one up cheap on eBay like 6 months after launch,

some guy was selling it "used" saying he had got it free from a store I knew didn't sell used pc games, code worked and got my account upgraded, only did it for the imperial Armour, a months gametime and the statue was cool as well. I only paid like £20 for it

The security key was the only item worth anything in that box for me.

I tossed everything but my key when the game was released and after a year of being gone I came back to nearly 4k cartel points. I think it was all from the security key.

Edited by illgot

The security key was the only item worth anything in that box for me.

So, in fact, CE owners have actually TWO exclusive vendors on the fleet ? (At least until that security key became common.)

Nice. And still there are some complaining about "not new stuff" for them ?

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

So, in fact, CE owners have actually TWO exclusive vendors on the fleet ? (At least until that security key became common.)

You must be late to the party...

Took a year for BW to add anything to the CE vendor, and it was a CM reskin. And this was after heavy advertising on the CE getting regular updates after launch. We are dead lucky if they even bother giving ugly dyes and more careless reskins...hell the Republic vendor was almost nothing but a reskin of a pilot uniform at first. It honestly sounds like you have no prior knowledge of how much the CE turned into a disaster before posting this; maybe check the massive thread that has been on these forums pertaining to the false advertising / lies that we have gotten.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=325920

And security key vendor is easy to get to, it's not exclusive in the slightest sense. It's either you spend the time to get a free digital security key or not.

Edited by Eillack

the very high cost was also supposed to fund dynamic updates to the exclusive vendor and Ohlen was talking about him receiving exclusive weapons and items, even post-release I think.

Mythology. Provide a link or stop.

I'm fine with you continuing to complain about the vendor not meeting your needs.. but to suggest that revenue from the CE edition was in any way tied to content updates on the CE vendor is nonsense.

As for you constant indictment of Ohlen on making a formal commitment to providing exclusive weapons and items.. link it or sink it.

As the title says, I'm really regretting not getting the collectors edition because I really love the look of the imperial trooper armour.

I looked today and I could buy the Collectors edition for £150 / $239.65 which is stupid money and no way in hell would I pay that.

Is there any chance Bioware will bring out any imperial armour that looks as good or close ?

Question: What is in the CE that you actually crave/desire?

If it is just for the digital content.. then move along. NO CE from ANY MMO should ever be purchased for the digital content it offers.

If it is for the actual real contents inside the box.. then shop around.. you can probably find one that has been used (ie: the code applied to an account) for much cheaper.

IF you want to just be petty and bitter about content updates on the CE vendor.. then you simply MUST get one. :p

If you can find one for really cheap (as in $20-30). then by all means go for it. Applying it to your account will give you an additional 30 days of play time.. which is worth $15.

Edited by Andryah

You must be late to the party...

Took a year for BW to add anything to the CE vendor, and it was a CM reskin.

Actually the first addition came in 1.2.

On the subject of whether or not its worth it for the vendors alone, I'm leaning towards probably not but it really depends how much money you have and how concerned you are about spending said money. The CE also comes with a bunch of other stuff that I think make it definitely worth the cost, but that may not interest you.

Mythology. Provide a link or stop.

I'm fine with you continuing to complain about the vendor not meeting your needs.. but to suggest that revenue from the CE edition was in any way tied to content updates on the CE vendor is nonsense.

As for you constant indictment of Ohlen on making a formal commitment to providing exclusive weapons and items.. link it or sink it.

The big CE vendor thread contains several links of him making such statements twice or more.

The big CE vendor thread contains several links of him making such statements twice or more.

Divide the sentence he quoted in half. He is referring almost purely to the first half as far as I can tell. I'm certainly aware of statements from Olhen regarding weapons&armor, but not any regarding specific funding from the extra price tag(which is what Andryah appears to be questioning here).

*EDIT

My bad, Andryah is also referring to the weapons and armors. Still I think the part about special funding from the extra price has never been said by the devs.

Edited by Vandicus

Well you always pay money to get something in return. that assumption is not unlikely ;)

What was added with 1.2 ?

edit:// nvm it was that "exclusive" tauntaun pet which everyone else got for free slightly different.

Edited by Neglience

If they get access to the sec key vendor, that's 3: sec key, CE and VIP (although the last sells only 1 thing).

Divide the sentence he quoted in half. He is referring almost purely to the first half as far as I can tell. I'm certainly aware of statements from Olhen regarding weapons&armor, but not any regarding specific funding from the extra price tag(which is what Andryah appears to be questioning here).

*EDIT

My bad, Andryah is also referring to the weapons and armors. Still I think the part about special funding from the extra price has never been said by the devs.

I just meant that it's easy and safe to assume that such high CE cost, with so little physical content, would cover future additions to the vendor, which were promised.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Are you an egomaniac, elitist, and narcissist all rolled into one? The type of person who hates the idea that they're not a unique snowflake and feels compelled to remind and show others that they have a digital toy that many others don't?

If so, then I'd say the CE is worth it to you.

Otherwise, the Malgus statue is cool (but nothing to write home about).

Passing comments in open discussions by a dev or dev manager =/= a commitment to deliver content. ;) Any MMO veteran knows this full well.

In reality.. if you look at all the pre launch hype about the CE vendor at the various public discussions between fans and Bioware staff... Ohlen generally speaking played down both the hype and value of both the VIP area and the CE vendor. It was actually Stephen Reid and a couple of others that kept hawking up how great both would be. Reid even publicly accused him of being a buzz kill on the CE.

You are fixated on comments in passing, and have made them forum mythology IMO.

Edited by Andryah

Are you an egomaniac, elitist, and narcissist all rolled into one? The type of person who hates the idea that they're not a unique snowflake and feels compelled to remind and show others that they have a digital toy that many others don't?

If so, then I'd say the CE is worth it to you.

Otherwise, the Malgus statue is cool (but nothing to write home about).

As CE bundles go these days for MMOs.. this one is actually one of the better ones IMO. The physical contents are of value to actual collectors of memorabilia related to the IP and the game. People that just discarded the physical contents and went for the digital goodies have nobody but themselves to blame.

Personally, I liked the inclusion of The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural (annotated by Satele Shan) and the copy of the Peace Treaty between factions. It was a nice touch to go along with the statue as was the collectable metal disk container. The music CD... meh.. but still nice to have.

Passing comments in open discussions by a dev or dev manager =/= a commitment to deliver content. ;) Any MMO veteran knows this full well.

In reality.. if you look at all the pre launch hype about the CE vendor at the various public discussions between fans and Bioware staff... Ohlen generally speaking played down both the hype and value of both the VIP area and the CE vendor. It was actually Stephen Reid and a couple of others that kept hawking up how great both would be. Reid even publicly accused him of being a buzz kill on the CE.

You are fixated on comments in passing, and have made them forum mythology IMO.

I feel like this argument is stretching to re-define the word representative. Given that their is a special avatar and position associated with Bioware employee. Anyone who chooses to post under that avatar makes their comments in an official capacity and represents the company. If their intention was otherwise there's always throw away and rumor accounts and reddit posting and such to leak info. Doing it with the Bioware employee avatar adds the officialness to it. Don't you think? I fully understand the rest of your take about seasoned MMO vets knowing better. But I don't want to let them off the hook as easily as your comment might.