I have 29 days left..

SaerethDL

It's kinda opressive to ask for credit card details while you're still in the free 30 days your 50€ game gave you.

Back in 2006, when i started playing WoW, i'm absolutely sure this wasn't needed. Nor did i do it when LotR came out.

If you think this should be normal practice, you need brain surgery.

Here is some more internet proof. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080327084747AACp8B7

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a bunch of childish n00bs. ALL major MMO's have required billing info before you could play since EQ in 1999. There's nothing shady about it, it's smart business. They don't want people logging in 30 days from now with a deactivated account and just saying to heck with it I'm not subbing. They want people to consciously log in and cancel. This at least allows them to ask the reason you are canceling so they can improve their product. It also prevents a rash of QQ posts 30 days from now from people who have no credit card and forgot to buy a gamecard.

Forget about the "free" 30 days. That's just slick marketing and everyone does it. Those 30 days come with the price of the software license you bought, but to use it you are STILL required to fully set up your account including billing information. This is not unlike a car company selling you a 20k car and "giving" you a 1k rebate, when in reality they are selling you a 19k car.

It's kinda opressive to ask for credit card details while you're still in the free 30 days your 50€ game gave you.

Back in 2006, when i started playing WoW, i'm absolutely sure this wasn't needed. Nor did i do it when LotR came out.

If you think this should be normal practice, you need brain surgery.

well it is now and it has been slike this for a long time. Get used to it or stop playing MMO's

vanilla wow, no it did not. it came with 30 free days.. so did eve, lotr, swg, rift

And you had to input a payment method at the time of account creation to get those 30 free days. Stop arguing, you're wrong, deal with it. The box even says "Valid Credit Card Required".

This is absolutely different. They are forcing you to tie credit info to an account. Other games let you enter the time codes in lieu of cc, as the card is already paid for it. Wows option was to simply make the non-cc/time card link small and relatively hidden. There is a paypal button, but its decoration only, I tried with several paypals before I finally caved to CC for myself. But considering the modern history of mega game handlers getting hacked, not wanting to give bioware all your personal info is understandable, this is a game not a job application. Forcing CC info for every account is bs, especially if your taking money for game time cards. It didnt keep me out, and my renewal depends if they can get some decent patches out and fast. This is however another huge mistake and instead of inviting more players they are immediately losing people before they even start.

This is absolutely different. They are forcing you to tie credit info to an account. Other games let you enter the time codes in lieu of cc, as the card is already paid for it. Wows option was to simply make the non-cc/time card link small and relatively hidden. There is a paypal button, but its decoration only, I tried with several paypals before I finally caved to CC for myself. But considering the modern history of mega game handlers getting hacked, not wanting to give bioware all your personal info is understandable, this is a game not a job application. Forcing CC info for every account is bs, especially if your taking money for game time cards. It didnt keep me out, and my renewal depends if they can get some decent patches out and fast. This is however another huge mistake and instead of inviting more players they are immediately losing people before they even start.

Just use a game time card then. That was an option as well, from what I saw in account set-up. No one is forcing you to divulge your credit card.

You can enter Game Time Cards in order to activate an account. This is absolutely the same as every other major MMO. I'm sorry that the Paypal link didn't work. If I were you, I'd report that as a bug, because it should work.

This is a link to the original ToS from November 23, 2004 for WoW.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041224012333/http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/termsofuse.html

B. To register an Account to play World of Warcraft, you will be required to provide Blizzard Entertainment with: (i) your name, address and phone number; (ii) the "Authentication Key" from the World of Warcraft Software product that you have purchased that includes the World of Warcraft software; (iii) accurate, complete, and updated billing information for payment of the Service subscription fee, including a valid credit card number, or other 'direct billing' information depending upon the method of payment you choose for the Account's access to the Service. Failure to comply with the foregoing or to update the foregoing if your contact information or billing information changes shall constitute a breach of this Agreement, which may result in the immediate termination of your right to use your Account to access the Service. This information is used to identify you as a "unique user" of World of Warcraft, and to ensure your payment of your Account. As such, it is imperative that you provide Blizzard Entertainment with accurate, up to date information. In the event that Blizzard Entertainment learns that you have provided false or misleading registration information, Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to immediately terminate your Account.

nope wrong.. not all mmo's had that. all they are trying to do is get more money by people forgetting or not knowing how to cancel their subscription, so they keep getting charged even if they dont play. Every single mmo i have bought new, swg, wow, rift, has came with a free month of play with no CC info.

Not all but enough to say it is standard practice.

Just ran into the problem. Raged a fair bit, considered writing angry email. Then saw it was in the fine print.

Dont really like it though. You payed for 30 days, you should get the 30 days, THEN be asked to pay.

There is another reason for this too.. RMT. You see, a MMO can block known RMTers or banned accounts by their CC and paypal info, or track them. Granted a RMT company can use game cards to pay too to get around that. But basically alot has to do with tracking users who cause an issue with the company.

Common practice is to pay for a MMO sub. This practice is a little odd to not allow someone to play when they don't enter their CC. I agree.

nope wrong.. not all mmo's had that. all they are trying to do is get more money by people forgetting or not knowing how to cancel their subscription, so they keep getting charged even if they dont play. Every single mmo i have bought new, swg, wow, rift, has came with a free month of play with no CC info.

u r lying i hve a rift account and yes it did need cc info to mplay it so yes u r blantantly lying

http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28991/kw/30+days+free/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyNDU5MzMxMC9zaWQvTDNDRU5mTWs%3D

In order to take advantage of your free 30 day period you must first create a new account and then choose a method of billing. The reason for this is to establish billing so your account will go uninterrupted when the free period expires. (That's from EQ2...I'll gladly find more if people keep saying this isn't common practice...)

I recall entering payment information for every MMO I've played upon account activation really.

I used the paypal option, and had no problems, maybe he just needs to use a different browser? Or have a bank account or credit card attached to their paypal accounts?