Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them on or off

Krull-

Dear developers and other employees of Bioware, Lucas Arts, Disney and Electronic Arts!

A large part of the player base can't enjoy the game properly because of the lack of chat bubbles (aka speech bubbles). Therefore, on behalf of the affected players, we are hereby suggesting and formally requesting an option to toggle chat bubbles for spatial chat (/say, /yell, /emote).

This thread has started in beta shortly after chat bubbles were removed from the game for "optimization", reposted after the forum wipe and has now run an incredibly long amount of time while still remaining constructive and has garnered a lot of support ever since.

Fact is, chat bubbles are for the roleplaying and social aspects of the game what the group finder is for the PVE aspect and the warzone queing interface is for the PVP aspect. Both the latter have been implemented a long time ago, yet players of the social and roleplaying aspects have never received their equivalent - speech/chat bubbles.

A large part of the player base, and an even larger part of the potential player base (and the player base that left the game because the feature has been missing so long and wish to return once it's implemented) needs an option to toggle on chat bubbles. Indeed, chat bubbles are a "must-have" feature to be able to enjoy the game and their playstyle for many of the socializers, roleplayers, casual players as well as players suffering from certain medical conditions out there. People are leaving the game every day due to this feature missing. On the bright side, many have voiced interest to return once the feature is implemented...but the longer it takes, the easier it will be to loose them permanently.

Even simple chat bubbles or overhead text for /say chat would go a long way:

Bare Minimum Implementation

The following is the Bare Minimum Implementation that a large part of the player base feels to be a must-have and most would feel comfortable with:

Add chat bubbles (or, at the very, very least overhead chat text) with all the typed text in /say, /yell and /emote chat channels to appear above the head of the player characters that are saying it (above the head of other player characters as well as your own), in addition to the same text being displayed in the chat window.

Add a client-side option to toggle chat bubbles on/off on each computer individually so people can choose whether they wish to see chat bubbles above player characters' heads or not.

We are all aware of why it was removed from beta... but that was over 2 yrs ago.

( In support of Gizmo)

Edited by Krull-

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You 'Want' chat bubbles, you do not 'Need' them.

The same could be said about your needs.

You want more and you don't "need it" .

Welcome to MMO's, at least the basic ones have this simple feature.

Edited by Krull-

The same could be said about your needs.

You want more and you don't "need it" .

Welcome to MMO's, at least the basic ones have this simple feature.

And there's already a "War and Peace" length thread on this where it's already been stated that putting them in game causes a serious degradation to the system because it over taxes it. Basically too much **** on the screen and the engine can't render it without slowing it all to hell. Personally I don't care to see ANY chat bubbles but this topic has already been covered EXTENSIVELY, maybe do a search next time.

And there's already a "War and Peace" length thread on this where it's already been stated that putting them in game causes a serious degradation to the system because it over taxes it. Basically too much **** on the screen and the engine can't render it without slowing it all to hell. Personally I don't care to see ANY chat bubbles but this topic has already been covered EXTENSIVELY, maybe do a search next time.

Thanks, I did that.. and now I'm putting it in here. Some of us want a response from the Dev's. This is an old issue that was addressed...

I'm sure the issues the chat bubbles were causing can be corrected by now. As stated by a Dev last year.

This has already been addressed and the chat bubbles cause some kind of serious performance issues that hinder gameplay to an unplayable level

I am confident that if they could figure out how to get chat bubbles to work they would have done it

After nearly two years now I am doubtful we will see a fix to the chat bubble issue but who knows

Anyway, they are not denying us chat bubbles , its a technical

issue and not something they just forgot about or left out

Edited by kirorx

It's about as likely to happen as a big blue hand shooting down from the sky, poking me in the face and shouting "IT'S YOU" as the lottery jackpot enters my bank account.

You have no idea how much that made my night; laughing hysterically now.

" Chat bubbles cause some kind of serious performance issues that hinder gameplay to an unplayable level "

This is a lame excuse.

Its 2013 not 2001.

what does the year matter? if the engine can't handle it (and it can't) then it can't handle it. Year has no meaning. It's some kind of technical issues linked to the engine. That's what you get when you slap an unfinished $5 engine on a AAA MMO with a huge budget like SWTOR had.

on topic ...personally I can't stand chat bubbles..but I'm all for the OPTION if they can get em working. Thing is..they probably won't. And there's faaaaaaaaaaar more pressing things to work on than chat bubbles.

oh and...no..chat bubbles..are NOT..in FACT...the RP equivalent of a group finder or pvp queue. They're a chatting mechanism..they're the equivelant of...DUNDUN DUUUUUUUN...Group/raid chat...that would fly..but GF and PVP Queue? not even close.

As long as they are completely optional, then there is no reason they should not be there for the people who want to see them.

Like I said, Bioware stated that with them on it was causing serious degradation with the game. Not just client side, but on their side, it was putting a large strain on the game servers so yes there is a reason why they should not be there.

Thanks, I did that.. and now I'm putting it in here. Some of us want a response from the Dev's. This is an old issue that was addressed...

I'm sure the issues the chat bubbles were causing can be corrected by now. As stated by a Dev last year.

So let me get this straight.. They haven't responded to the other thread, but somehow you feel they will respond to this one???

Troll much?? Entitled much??

Sorry.. As said in the other thread.. When they have something to say on the topic, they will give us a response.. In the mean time, spamming the forums with topic that already exist is not the answer.. :rolleyes:

" Chat bubbles cause some kind of serious performance issues that hinder gameplay to an unplayable level

This is a lame excuse.

Its 2013 not 2001.

I am just curious to know, on what basis and with what knowledge are you calling it a lame excuse?? Do you really have first hand knowledge of the issue here?? Are you really educated in the field of computer programming and game design?? What make you think you are even qualified to make such a statement??

Please.. Don't talk for Bioware.. They can talk for themselves, when they have something to say..

Oh.. Making the font bigger doesn't make you right..

Edited by MajikMyst

The engine continues to have problems displaying nameplates.

That said, as I have indicated in the past I think chat bubbles for group use would be a way they could be implemented, with a toggle of course. Could be very useful in group.

Also, there is the option of enabling chat bubbles for only 5 or 10 meter radius...you would have to stand very close to someone to see the chat bubble.

There are possibilities.

The real question is, would chat bubble use cause system slowdowns even if the bubbles are not seen....because that is possible. If that is the case, then it may never happen.

What the hell is the obsession with chat bubbles .. i just don't get it .. is it purely a legacy from SWG?

Its not like people in real life have chat bubbles coming out of them when they speak.

Is it to make the game look more like a comic book? ... no thanks.

Well, for RP purposes it makes the environment more alive....since folks do not just stand there silent. They speak.

Game wise, at least for me, it makes it much easier to have focused communication with others, to help others, and when playing in groups in allows more concise and location based chat.

Chat bubbles can be very useful in a game like this IMO.

" Chat bubbles cause some kind of serious performance issues that hinder gameplay to an unplayable level "

This is a lame excuse.

Its 2013 not 2001.

Arm chair developing at it's best. Seeing as though you do not have knowledge about game design, let me explain what we know for sure. The engine in all of it's failings can not handle speech bubbles and therefore do cause further issues to performance which can affect many people. Therefore, their stance on optimization is a perfectly reasonable now mind you I personally do not care for chat bubbles at all, but if and I say if they ever managed to put them in as long as they are disable able I wouldn't mind too much.

But seeing as though they are still not in the game imo it is probably better that they remain out for optimization reasons.

Well, for RP purposes it makes the environment more alive....since folks do not just stand there silent. They speak.

Game wise, at least for me, it makes it much easier to have focused communication with others, to help others, and when playing in groups in allows more concise and location based chat.

Chat bubbles can be very useful in a game like this IMO.

See.. To me they are completely useless.. Chat being over your head just makes the game look like a comic strip.. It doesn't enhance communication in any way..

Focused communication can be obtained with the use of party chat.. No making sure you are facing the right direction, and you can actually do stuff while you are chatting.. Instead of standing their like a bunch of zombies..

Group chat is really pathetic when using chat bubbles.. To far and you can't read what someone said, not facing the wrong direction and you could miss what was said.. Totally useless in an OP, Flashpoint, or Warzone situation..

Like I said.. There just doesn't seem to be any use for it.. You can only see it if you are looking directly at the person speaking and you are close enough to read it.. That limits you a great deal..

People in my opinion are better off just using normal chat.. They can create their own private channels, they can also create their own tabs, with their own chat settings.. Custom chat channels would allow everyone in a group to see what was said.. Oh.. Did I mention party chat??

In all honesty.. I don't care one way or another.. As long as I an turn them off, and as long as there is no effect on my performance.. :)

See.. To me they are completely useless.. Chat being over your head just makes the game look like a comic strip.. It doesn't enhance communication in any way..

Focused communication can be obtained with the use of party chat.. No making sure you are facing the right direction, and you can actually do stuff while you are chatting.. Instead of standing their like a bunch of zombies..

Group chat is really pathetic when using chat bubbles.. To far and you can't read what someone said, not facing the wrong direction and you could miss what was said.. Totally useless in an OP, Flashpoint, or Warzone situation..

Like I said.. There just doesn't seem to be any use for it.. You can only see it if you are looking directly at the person speaking and you are close enough to read it.. That limits you a great deal..

People in my opinion are better off just using normal chat.. They can create their own private channels, they can also create their own tabs, with their own chat settings.. Custom chat channels would allow everyone in a group to see what was said.. Oh.. Did I mention party chat??

In all honesty.. I don't care one way or another.. As long as I an turn them off, and as long as there is no effect on my performance.. :)

Please do not quote me when making a point. You and I have nothing to discuss.

I have made a point of avoiding doing so, even if I wanted to counter your point.

I welcome and support your right to counter any point I make. But please do so without quoting my posts. There is no reason for you to do so. You can make your point without giving the illusion that you and I are having a conversation.

Edited by LordArtemis

What the hell is the obsession with chat bubbles .. i just don't get it .. is it purely a legacy from SWG?

Its not like people in real life have chat bubbles coming out of them when they speak.

Is it to make the game look more like a comic book? ... no thanks.

It's not a SWG thing I am pretty sure both everquest an wow have chat bubbles as well

It's a nice feature because you can communicate with people you meet out in the world plus you can see who is talking, in fleet when people use say I can't tell who is saying what and I have it hunt people down by name.

This is really a great feature for people new to MMOs because it make communication a bit less confusing

For me face to face communication is a good way to meet people

They would likely have implemented already, if they could. They stated that they would keep an eye on it, but that it couldn't be done at that time. That, basically, means that if they found a way to do it, they would.

Honestly, I don't care either way, as long as I could turn them off. If they can do it and people want it, great. If not, it really doesn't hurt the game. I'd rather not have them than have them hurt the performance of the game. I play on The Harbinger, so I suffer enough as it is. :t_wink: