The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard Change wishes

mscottlo

So after playing a SIth Warrior Juggernaut and getting him to lvl 55, I had figured out playing the tank role. So, as most people do after maxing a toon, they re-roll and start over. So began my journey with my Vanguard.

And I've come to believe the Vanguard is the best tank in the game! (I refuse to play Powertech because I hate that i can only have 1 blaster. Nope, not doing it. Also the bounty hunter gear...not that good looking in my opinion.)

I have no problems getting some of our tanking skills later than most thru the skill tree, but here is the one thing I would want to see MOST with an update.

The skill Storm wish is able to unlocked via skill tree needs to KNOCKDOWN standard and weak enemies. Keep the immobilizing debuff. Its handy when fighting strong or higher enemies that can be stunned, impaired, etc. I feel like however, that since I am charging someone full speed (in MASSIVE heavy armor) that Standard and weak enemies need to be knocked down, or knocked back (if knockback'd not too much, maybe like 5-ish meters or so) but i feel like it would be awesome to just lay full-speed and lay him out.

I'm not asking for much, don't change where it is on the skill tree, don't make its damage higher, don't change anything else with it, just add a knockdown debuff for standard or weak enemies. (Yes, I understand that this would also apply to the Powertech, and i'm okay with that)

Edited by mscottlo
Title Change

I was actually thinking about leveling up a Sith Warrior, and I am playing a Vanguard. Curious though, what makes you say they are better tanks than a Sith Warrior "Jugg I am presuming."?

Yes, my main is a 55 Jugg. When i first started playing this game, I was against the idea of a ranged tank, i didn't think they would be worth anything and always thought tank had to be nice and cozy getting destroyed by the bosses.

So i made my tank, started playing and enjoyed it. But then I made my Vanguard and i love it soo much more. IMO i think the Vanguard is the better tank because

1) the Ranged allows me to tank without having to be up in his face (unless he's a melee boss)

2) I can be closer to my guarded team member. As it happens in crazy fights sometimes your guarded target can leave the area (I know, there is a like a 50m range, but trust me it happens) so the fact that i'm ranged allows to be closer to my guarded target so they are covered.

3) i can see the fight, i can see when adds are pulled. i can see almost everything (also i always have my game zoomed out as far as possible)

So those are a few reasons why I like Vanguard tank more than Juggernaut tank.

But sometimes, you just need to force choke someone ;)

I think I should throw this out there. THIS IS MY OPINION, please do not get mad if you disagree.

If you disagree, just state your argument and something to support and move on.

(This is for future readers, there are some nasty people on the forums.)

I think I should throw this out there. THIS IS MY OPINION, please do not get mad if you disagree.

If you disagree, just state your argument and something to support and move on.

(This is for future readers, there are some nasty people on the forums.)

I respect your opinion and thank you for sharing it (I lurk in the PvP forums so I know about nasty people posting), I love my Vanguard also (I use to play a Sentinel and operative as Republic and Imperial mains) but since playing the Vanguard, it's my only character now (The rest are crafting fodders). I thank you again for sharing your opinion (everyone has the right to theirs, even on the internet) and will stick to my Vanguard instead of leveling a Jugg.

Im with everyone who says Vanguards are the best tank character, and would like to add a little more input on the matter:

Vanguards are also the best tanks to level up. Why? Because they share gear with ALL of their companions (well not M1-4x but he's a droid so it would be a little unfair to be able to share gear with him).

This means that you only need 2 sets of gear - 1 DPS and 1 Tank - and you are set for life. And once you get Tanno Vik, you can run as DPS outside of Raids and PvP and when the queue pops, just steal the gear back and respec. Its great.

The only problem I had related to the look of the armor. I typically used Guardian armor for the chestpiece and Helm because they looked better...

Oh and the DPS potential of the class...

• 2 weeks later...

The most disappointing thing about vanguard IMO is a top tier "talent" in the Tactics tree.

"Emits a fiery pulse wave, dealing X elemental damage to the target."

Plain and simple - press the button to dish out some damage. It has no cool or complex mechanics behind it, no DOT component, nothing. And as far as I know - it has been there from day 1 all the way to patch 2.4 - unchanged.

It's a top tree "talent", which, in fact, is another Hammer shot. :confused:

But HS is available from lvl 1, I don't have to level a toon to lvl 45 to get it.

No, seriously, who implemented that? FGS, BW, are you even trying? :mad:

The most disappointing thing about vanguard IMO is a top tier "talent" in the Tactics tree.

"Emits a fiery pulse wave, dealing X elemental damage to the target."

Plain and simple - press the button to dish out some damage. It has no cool or complex mechanics behind it, no DOT component, nothing. And as far as I know - it has been there from day 1 all the way to patch 2.4 - unchanged.

It's a top tree "talent", which, in fact, is another Hammer shot. :confused:

But HS is available from lvl 1, I don't have to level a toon to lvl 45 to get it.

No, seriously, who implemented that? FGS, BW, are you even trying? :mad:

So the fact it makes the next stockstrike free, adds +1 pulse engine stacks and is tons of damage makes it like hammer shots?

By that argument, you could say the top talent in Telekinetics is just disturbance. Or that the top talent in Vigilance is just Blade Storm without the range.

So the fact it makes the next stockstrike free, adds +1 pulse engine stacks and is tons of damage makes it like hammer shots?

By that argument, you could say the top talent in Telekinetics is just disturbance. Or that the top talent in Vigilance is just Blade Storm without the range.

I agree with this. Fire Pulse is very well implemented into the Tactics tree.

Fire pulse hits pretty dang hard now after 2.4 so I'm fine with it as a top tier talent finally. Before it was underwhelming because it didn't hit as hard as it should have.

Anyway, back to OP I agree that I enjoy tanking on vanguard. I haven't done a lot on my guardian or shadow but I just like vanguard for the same reason I like it as dps which is its mobility and range. Sure you are a melee class but there is a little more freedom with VG. However, guardian is still king of the tanks right now as far as ability is concerned. Their cooldowns are top tier for tanking. But I'm much more comfortable on VG.