The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Taunting & Jetpack

Xandermpls

Question 1. Why doesn't our sonic missile and neural dart mitigate damage on mobs?

Note: Jetpack grants 2 free flamesweeps. Hitting hydraulic overrides and kiting out as you railshot and missile blast is key. Why don't I see this more often? New powertechs?

Why doesn't our sonic missile and neural dart mitigate damage on mobs? I know if we flame them they get an accuracy de-buff.

Jetpack grants 2 free flamesweeps. Hitting hydraulic overrides and kiting out as you railshot and missile blast is key. Why don't I see this more often? New powertechs?

It should work on mobs, the problem is that the way taunts work in PvE is that it makes them start attacking you. If they were to attack someone else, the damage mitigation would take effect because that mitigation only works when they are not attacking the taunter.

It should work on mobs, the problem is that the way taunts work in PvE is that it makes them start attacking you. If they were to attack someone else, the damage mitigation would take effect because that mitigation only works when they are not attacking the taunter.

I had an argument with one of my guilds. She said damage mitigation with taunts only works in pvp. :( I am just tryin gto confirm this with the devs/players.

In terms of missile blast, yeah an aoe attack that works 30m is definitely not useful......... LOL that is exactly why I always bring it up :)

I have http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMurd0rordRRZdZbcb.3 and I never have heat issues.

I had an argument with one of my guilds. She said damage mitigation with taunts only works in pvp. :( I am just tryin gto confirm this with the devs/players.

In terms of missile blast, yeah an aoe attack that works 30m is definitely not useful......... LOL that is exactly why I always bring it up :)

I have http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMurd0rordRRZdZbcb.3 and I never have heat issues.

The damage mitigation only happens in PvP due to the lack of a "threat table" in PvP since the combatants are not scripted automatons. Taunting in PvE places you at the top of the threat table and gives you 20% more threat than the highest person.

Missile Blast is a aoe attack that works at 30m, but no it is NOT useful at all compared to other attacks you could use that same 25 heat for. The Damage to Heat ratio is abysmal, particularly on a single target. The splash damage (based upon green gear and lvl 50) is horrid as well. 202 - 238 additional kinetic damage to up to 3 nearby enemies in a 5-meter radius. That is quite the small radius, and any competent PvPer will keep a good distance already due to SmashMonkeys.

Why doesn't our sonic missile and neural dart mitigate damage on mobs? I know if we flame them they get an accuracy de-buff.

Jetpack grants 2 free flamesweeps. Hitting hydraulic overrides and kiting out as you railshot and missile blast is key. Why don't I see this more often? New powertechs?

Tuant mitigation only happens if target is shooting another player, however in PvE the mob will always be attacking you as long as the debuff is on it, so that mitigation wouldn't come into play. (and if you read the tooltip is specifies only players can get the mitigation)

And why are you leaping in, debuffing, and then kiting away? PT is melee and tanks what to stay in range with mobs unless they are trying to move them elsewhere. There is no reason in PvE as a tank to be trying to get away from the mobs

LoL, missile blast isn't used not because of heat issues, but because the amount of damage it deals is horrid for PT, it does about as much damage as rapid shots does, and again what are you doing at 30m as a tank?

And that tree....

Why didn't you take the 100% IC proc for RP, and skipped on supercharged ion gas?! Why would you even go for Rail loaders but then skip Puncture, puncture increase RS damage way more than rail loaders. And Gyroscopic alignment jets?! ST has hardly any difficulty with Heat to begin with, heck that talent is highly arguable even for pvp pyro.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Tuant mitigation only happens if target is shooting another player, however in PvE the mob will always be attacking you as long as the debuff is on it, so that mitigation wouldn't come into play. (and if you read the tooltip is specifies only players can get the mitigation)

And why are you leaping in, debuffing, and then kiting away? PT is melee and tanks what to stay in range with mobs unless they are trying to move them elsewhere. There is no reason in PvE as a tank to be trying to get away from the mobs

LoL, missile blast isn't used not because of heat issues, but because the amount of damage it deals is horrid for PT, it does about as much damage as rapid shots does, and again what are you doing at 30m as a tank?

And that tree....

Why didn't you take the 100% IC proc for RP, and skipped on supercharged ion gas?! Why would you even go for Rail loaders but then skip Puncture, puncture increase RS damage way more than rail loaders. And Gyroscopic alignment jets?! ST has hardly any difficulty with Heat to begin with, heck that talent is highly arguable even for pvp pyro.

Jet Charge grants x2 flamesweeps, by kiting out you and jumping in, you can rinse repeat and do an aoe debuff/dps (in pvp its a no brainer)

For those trying to knock a 30m aoe attack (clearly you haven't done ranked pvp yet :) its extremely useful for capping.

Obviously with using high heat cost items heat management comes into play. As a veteran Master Bounty Hunter/Carbineer on Bria SWG and beta until now powertech main I know this :)

The heat management I have from Pyro helps me a bunch, most of the builds you see here being posted I've already tried ;)

I guess what I am really trying to emphasize is

1. Flamesweep is not only an aoe debuff/dps but comes free when you jump in

2. Missile blast is not useless but situational and if hokey can make a difference in a win/lose for a quick aoe if your jetcharge grapple are on cd and you need to hit a group.

3. More a irritation as to why we can't really mitigate damage with our sonic/neural but I know it makes sense more just trying to stir up some thoughts.

And why are you leaping in, debuffing, and then kiting away? PT is melee and tanks what to stay in range with mobs unless they are trying to move them elsewhere. There is no reason in PvE as a tank to be trying to get away from the mobs (situational)

LoL, missile blast isn't used not because of heat issues, but because the amount of damage it deals is horrid for PT, it does about as much damage as rapid shots does, and again what are you doing at 30m as a tank? I do 1700 per shot

And that tree....

Rocketpunch resets quicker and has a quicker cd then rail I switch it out depending.

Taunts In PvE 100% FORCE the target to attack the taunter. In PvP they midigate 30% damage if the taunter is not being attacked. In PvE the midigation part from PvP does not kick in only the 100% forced attack on taunter.

Jet Charge grants x2 flamesweeps, by kiting out you and jumping in, you can rinse repeat and do an aoe debuff/dps (in pvp its a no brainer)

But why?? flame sweep is a terrible ability and you hardly need to spamming it all over the place. Not to mention leap should never be used on cooldown like that, in case a situation arises where it you need it immediately. i.e. to interrupt a cast or close the gap between you and your healer if you happen to get pulled apart.

For those trying to knock a 30m aoe attack (clearly you haven't done ranked pvp yet :) its extremely useful for capping.

Wow, really wow

Yes, it is a good cap interrupt, but you where implying it should somehow be used rotationally. Its only purpose in the game is has a last ditch measure against caps.

Obviously with using high heat cost items heat management comes into play. As a veteran Master Bounty Hunter/Carbineer on Bria SWG and beta until now powertech main I know this :)

SWG has what to do with swtor's tank rotations?!? And its not like pedigrees are worth much of anything on the forums anyway.

The heat management I have from Pyro helps me a bunch, most of the builds you see here being posted I've already tried ;)

But you shouldn't need that talent from pyro, resource management is extremely easy as shieldtech, there is no reason for it. And you tried other builds? So have I, and I find yours to be on the list of "less than effective" builds. So what exactly makes your opinion more valid than mine?

1. Flamesweep is not only an aoe debuff/dps but comes free when you jump in

2. Missile blast is not useless but situational and if hokey can make a difference in a win/lose for a quick aoe if your jetcharge grapple are on cd and you need to hit a group.

3. More a irritation as to why we can't really mitigate damage with our sonic/neural but I know it makes sense more just trying to stir up some thoughts.

1) Thanks, but I already knew that talent works.

2) mine, is hotkeyed too, but I press it maybe two or three times in a warzone, and never in huttball or PvE.

3) taunts should never mitigate damage for you, they are to draw fire to you, the OP was confused between the PvE function and PvP function of the taunt.

This thread wasn't for you then :)

I play ranked and am top tier, heat management can be tricky.

I can spam flamesweep (yes spam) and missile blast in pvp. (with my build)

<Scaredsithless>

Amen (toon name <--)

This isn't a debate, or trying to knock teh stereotypical builds just pointing things out that are different that I do differently that work. I can start posting screenshots later tonight.

Flamesweep (area slow, accuracy/dps debuff) and it can dot depending the cylinder. It is very useful.

If you are talking about PVE then of course, depending on group/offtank/heals and which fp or op you are running :)

But why?? flame sweep is a terrible ability and you hardly need to spamming it all over the place. Not to mention leap should never be used on cooldown like that, in case a situation arises where it you need it immediately. i.e. to interrupt a cast or close the gap between you and your healer if you happen to get pulled apart.

Wow, really wow

Yes, it is a good cap interrupt, but you where implying it should somehow be used rotationally. Its only purpose in the game is has a last ditch measure against caps.

SWG has what to do with swtor's tank rotations?!? And its not like pedigrees are worth much of anything on the forums anyway.

But you shouldn't need that talent from pyro, resource management is extremely easy as shieldtech, there is no reason for it. And you tried other builds? So have I, and I find yours to be on the list of "less than effective" builds. So what exactly makes your opinion more valid than mine?

1) Thanks, but I already knew that talent works.

2) mine, is hotkeyed too, but I press it maybe two or three times in a warzone, and never in huttball or PvE.

3) taunts should never mitigate damage for you, they are to draw fire to you, the OP was confused between the PvE function and PvP function of the taunt.

Obviously with using high heat cost items heat management comes into play. As a veteran Master Bounty Hunter/Carbineer on Bria SWG and beta until now powertech main I know this

The reason I posted that was actually in order for a Bounty Hunter to use his attacks it would actually (hurt/kill) you just to get your attacks off. I brought that up, because this is a star wars game forum. Yes I played beta swg and beta swtor. SWG was better early on. SWTOR is easier to play, and less challenging pvp and builds are pretty run of the mill. The hardest classes ops in the game compare to peanuts to swg.

Said no PT ever

1. if we are blowing through trash in flashpoints. even the trash can hit hard, knocking them down and than regular blaster fire rips through the trash faster than trying to tracer them and stops doing damage to you along the way. is it required? no, but its actually faster than trying to do normal combos vs things that die quickly, the knockdown saves rest/heal time. it may be seconds but they add up and we can blow through a corridor of trash without even stopping to stand still and cast anything

2. in pvp there are often times when you must reposition, or when chasing someone that is running away. its our hardest hitting attack that doesnt have a cooldown timer (obviously you would heat seeker or rail shot if they were up). but its my goto move if i need to fire while repositioning or chasing. you simply never want to stop putting damage out, so why stop firing so long as you have low enough heat? now if your heat is up, than yea you just use blaster shots, but how often are you maxing your heat?

Obviously with using high heat cost items heat management comes into play. As a veteran Master Bounty Hunter/Carbineer on Bria SWG and beta until now powertech main I know this

The reason I posted that was actually in order for a Bounty Hunter to use his attacks it would actually (hurt/kill) you just to get your attacks off. I brought that up, because this is a star wars game forum. Yes I played beta swg and beta swtor. SWG was better early on. SWTOR is easier to play, and less challenging pvp and builds are pretty run of the mill. The hardest classes ops in the game compare to peanuts to swg.

Swg was more complex in forming builds and such, but once you got your build set, the actual combat and damage rotations were way simpler than anything in swtor.

I personally disagree/agree. Depending on your class. If you were a Master Bounty Hunter/Master Carbineer/medic

it was very difficult.

1. You had to buff your MANA by going to a Cantina and watching an entertainment.

2. You had to buff your HP by going to the Medical Center and see a Doctor

3. You had to buy food/drinks from a CHEF to increase damage, armor etc (and pop certain foods/drinks/stims during fights)

4. You had to fight Jedi Knights which could kill 10-20 people solo.

5. The only element you had working as a Bounty Hunter was surprise. (being able to physically choose when or how you fight him.) Obviously during raids, or when he was questing vulnrable.

6. You had many different damage types and armor resists to deal with and had to hotkey weapon switching, ACID/Laser etc

7. It wasn't a duel, or pvp. It was physically going to a terminal, selecting a mission (player actually playing game as) buy droids, use them track them go to the planet, track them, sometimes you would track for days irl just to get your bounty. Payouts were 200k a pop. BH were rich.

I hunted Rebels as a rebel. I was banned from most of the star ports/cities and hated by everyone but imps.

Edited by Xandermpls

I personally disagree/agree. Depending on your class. If you were a Master Bounty Hunter/Master Carbineer/medic

it was very difficult.

1. You had to buff your MANA by going to a Cantina and watching an entertainment.

2. You had to buff your HP by going to the Medical Center and see a Doctor

3. You had to buy food/drinks from a CHEF to increase damage, armor etc (and pop certain foods/drinks/stims during fights)

4. You had to fight Jedi Knights which could kill 10-20 people solo.

5. The only element you had working as a Bounty Hunter was surprise. (being able to physically choose when or how you fight him.) Obviously during raids, or when he was questing vulnrable.

6. You had many different damage types and armor resists to deal with and had to hotkey weapon switching, ACID/Laser etc

7. It wasn't a duel, or pvp. It was physically going to a terminal, selecting a mission (player actually playing game as) buy droids, use them track them go to the planet, track them, sometimes you would track for days irl just to get your bounty. Payouts were 200k a pop. BH were rich.

I hunted Rebels as a rebel. I was banned from most of the star ports/cities and hated by everyone but imps.

1-3: yea getting buffed was a hassle, that has no impact on the actual combat.

4: I had a 4211 dark saber master pre-pub9(didn't quite max out). This was simply not the case. I did win 4v1s a couple times, but that was against terrible players.

5: still has no bearing on the actual mechanics of combat. Play an assassin or operative and Hank lowbies if you want this play style.

6: not really true. Most armor had equal resists for everything but stun damage, so it was a simple choice between LLC, T21, or jawa ion rifle(or carbines/pistols if you went that route)

7: I am aware. My Jedi didn't get successfully bounties until after the CURB. I was well aware of how the system worked. Other classes could also make large amounts of money.

Still none of this has any impact on the combat itself being simple, and it certainly has no impact on your ability at playing this game. Having a Jedi in swg doesn't make be better at playing swtor either. If you yearn that much for the glory days, just go play the EMU.

I do about 300k protection in warzones easily, 250k dps and 3 deaths on average with about 13-20 kills.

Taunting and guards in pvp is a no brainier.

I can do 300k protection in regs easily. I hope your not talking about ranked cause if you are you are only hurting your argument. Same for your damage, 250k is paltry for even a tank, in a full length match a PT/VG tank should be able to put up at least 350k, and 500k + on longer matches.

Also kills count means nothing, I can shoot a HiB with its AoE dot into a pack and if anyone in that pack dies before leaving combat I get a kill.

I play ranked and am top tier, heat management can be tricky.

If you find heat management tricky with a spec that gets 8 heat dissipated for shielding plus a off GCD heat dissipating ability every few seconds, then I highly doubt your top teir.

I can spam flamesweep (yes spam) and missile blast in pvp. (with my build)

Just because you can afford to use a ability does not mean it should be used. Those GCDs are better spent on rapid shots as they generate IGC procs which in turn reduce the cool down of heat blast.

<Scaredsithless>

Amen (toon name <--)

And my name is John Smith - those names mean nothing, I have not encountered them or even heard them referenced, so I hope you where not expecting me to grovel at hearing your toon name.

This isn't a debate, or trying to knock teh stereotypical builds just pointing things out that are different that I do differently that work. I can start posting screenshots later tonight.

yes your rotation "works" however it is horribly inefficient and subpar, after all if it was any good, why are you the only person using it? I can kill stuff by spamming double strike on my sage, but is that effective? No

Flamesweep (area slow, accuracy/dps debuff) and it can dot depending the cylinder. It is very useful.

Flamesweep applies a flat damage debuff not a accuracy debuff. It only dots if your running pyro which has nothing to do with tanking. It also costs a lot of heat and does crap damage. It has situational utility uses, and the occasional refresh of the damage debuff. there is no good reason to ever spam it.

No not ranked.

I can do 300k protection in regs easily. I hope your not talking about ranked cause if you are you are only hurting your argument. Same for your damage, 250k is paltry for even a tank, in a full length match a PT/VG tank should be able to put up at least 350k, and 500k + on longer matches.

Also kills count means nothing, I can shoot a HiB with its AoE dot into a pack and if anyone in that pack dies before leaving combat I get a kill.

PVP is about two things.

1. Winning.

2. Medals.

• Not numbers.
  • Staying alive, managing your resources.
  • See original post.
  • Obviously you have different thoughts/opinions and you have shared them. That is cool but again, venting heat the traditional method in ADDITION to ANY effect I auto vent 8 heat on top of that. This gives me the best heat management hands down, I'm a programmer I code, I write apps for smartphones and desktop applications I understand how (not everything) but many components work because I am the nerd on the other side putting together the math equations and variables that decide how the numbers work.