The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What is the best tree and build for pve dps with vanguard? What is your rotation?

Pesadillas

What is the best tree and build for pve dps with vanguard? What is your rotation?

People tell me it's the worst dps, but I think it's pretty good

2/22/22- Hybrid.

Gut> IP > HiB> Pulse Cannon

After that, you make sure you keep gut up. Pulse cannon whenever it's up. Weave your freebie HiB's and stockstrikes in between IP's. If you have a lot of ammo while you're building pulse cannon stacks, pop an incendiary round in there, but don't use incendiary if you're less than 60% ammo. If you find your low on ammo, use the few GCD's to fire off your freebies with hammer shot weaved in. You'll run yourself back up to 90%+ ammo pretty quickly that way (if you end up doing this, watch out for your Gut debuff).

Between trash pulls, pop your explosive surge every few seconds until you have three stacks of pulse cannon. Then when you go into trash packs, pop an explosive surge, then pulse cannon, and watch the AoE crits fly. While pulse cannon is on cooldown, just explosive charge and hammershot to keep your ammo up.

You may not end up with the highest DPS, but you'll wipe the floor in overall damage in fights. I consistently end up with about 2900 DPS and am #1 in overall damage during boss and overall during the entire run. I run in 69's with a couple of 72's.

That's all I've got, maybe someone else can explain it better than I can.

That's all I've got, maybe someone else can explain it better than I can.

Here is a nice thread on it:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=658277

Just be aware, when 2.4 comes out the hybrid is nerfed (less IR and gut damage), while Tactics and Assault are being buffed (increased Fire Pulse + Assault Plastique damage, Degauss and Adrenaline Fueled defense buffs, Havoc Training also affecting Pulse Cannon, ect...)

Here is a nice thread on it:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=658277

Just be aware, when 2.4 comes out the hybrid is nerfed (less IR and gut damage), while Tactics and Assault are being buffed (increased Fire Pulse + Assault Plastique damage, Degauss and Adrenaline Fueled defense buffs, Havoc Training also affecting Pulse Cannon, ect...)

Just got off of the training dummy on the PTR. I tried mixing up my rotations to try and maximize procs, weave shoulder cannon into the initial 30 seconds of the test to maximize damage and here's what I found with Mox. Hybrid got its teeth pulled out, it will no longer be viable. Assault doesn't put up enough to make it viable in raids, it might work in HM 55 FPs. I really wanted assault to work, I put more time into that spec on the dummy than all three. I tried everything to squeeze every little bit of DPS out. Tactics puts out the best DPS out of the three, but overall its damage is less the current iteration of the hybrid. All in all, VG DPS is getting nerfed in 2.4.

Looks like it's time to throw all of my VG's raiding gear onto a set of legacy armor and transfer it to my commando. It was fun while it lasted.

Hah, nope...... Assault will be doing some of the least amount of damage of any class in the game in 2.4. Also not to mention that some other classes have the same perk that increases damage past 30% hp, and they already out dps vans. At this point I really wish they had just left Vanguards alone in 2.4. My dps is definitely getting a good nerf in this patch where we asked to get better balanced with other classes. Oh and not to mention that our "30m" range is getting nerfed again by making stockstrike the main ability to proc plasma cell instead of ion pulse which makes absolutely no sense. I totally respect the fact that the devs are actually listening to us and trying to help, but there is no way they actually play this class unless they are Rp'ers haha. All in all roll a Sniper.

So ya, forgot about Burnout. Dummies don't ever drop below 30%. So math geeks tell me, is the increased damage at 30% is enough to overcome the damage deficit for the first 70%?

Assuming the last 30% of the fight takes as long per % as the rest (it doesn't, but is often more important, so we'll go with that assumption), burnout is worth about 3% of overall DPS. So take your assault numbers and multiply by 1.03. And then realize that several of the top parsing specs also have substantial executes...

30% increase to 30% of our DPS(prob less than 30% now because all 3 dots are being reduced in damage or application frequency) for 30% of the fight. .3 * .3 * .3 = .03

What gear are you parsing tactics with?

The parses I've seen on the PTS forums for power techs using BIS 72 gear put tactics at around 2840.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=672176

Someone else posted similar parses (in the 2800 range) for pyro, but they were using the PVP eliminator set that gives + 15% rail shot critical hit. Sorry, I don't have the link.

Edit: here's the parse. Pyro/assault landed at about 2800 on the PVP elim set. I know that doesn't help with the PVE sets though.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6682647&postcount=126

So it looks to me, that pyro is better for PVP, since it only appears viable with that one specific gear set bonus.

Edited by Brunner_Venda