The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Seeking Advice from the Tank vets (pvp)

Tyrth

Something that has really been bothering me lately is the amount of protection I put up...or lack thereof I should say. I've primarily been dps on my PT since the beginning so I admit the comfort and skill with the ST specc isn't nearly what it could be. All that said, despite taunting non stop, switching guard as needed ect. I am nearly ALWAYS out performed on protection by Juggs...sometimes as much as 150k. Jugg is basically the only class I have not played to at least conqueror so I'm curious as to whether or not it's just an issue of improving or is it that the mechanics of the jugg class make it easier to protect? Any advice would be much appreciated...very depressing hovering around 160 prot in a wz while the jugg is at or over 300k :(

By the way, the intent of this post is not to QQ about Juggs being op or any nonsense like that. Just happens to be that is the one class in pvp I have rarely played so wasn't sure if it's a mechanical issue that is letting them excel or just a "learn to improve and play better issue" on my part. Thanks guys :)

Something that has really been bothering me lately is the amount of protection I put up...or lack thereof I should say. I've primarily been dps on my PT since the beginning so I admit the comfort and skill with the ST specc isn't nearly what it could be. All that said, despite taunting non stop, switching guard as needed ect. I am nearly ALWAYS out performed on protection by Juggs...sometimes as much as 150k. Jugg is basically the only class I have not played to at least conqueror so I'm curious as to whether or not it's just an issue of improving or is it that the mechanics of the jugg class make it easier to protect? Any advice would be much appreciated...very depressing hovering around 160 prot in a wz while the jugg is at or over 300k :(

By the way, the intent of this post is not to QQ about Juggs being op or any nonsense like that. Just happens to be that is the one class in pvp I have rarely played so wasn't sure if it's a mechanical issue that is letting them excel or just a "learn to improve and play better issue" on my part. Thanks guys :)

I have never had any issue with protection numbers against jugg tanks. In fact, i find my PT, 90% of the time ahead in both damage and prot against top juggs in my server. However, it's basically knowing who to guard at a specific situation. Maybe the jugg tank in your team guarded a dps who got focused more than the healer. We actually have an advantage against juggs because our AoE taunt is ranged. You just have to keep in mind not to leave your guarding range because unlike juggs we don't have intercede unless you have HO or JC up.

I also believe that PTs should stay at the max guarding range for easy guard switches. In terms of guarding teammates, Jugg is easier to tank with than PTs due to their added DCDs and utility, but they're pretty much balanced if you're comfortable playing ST.

I was also pure DPS since launch, and started tanking few weeks after 2.0 hits. It's a totally different playstyle, but i find it really enjoyable to see the impact you can make in a game as a tank. Check out my pvp tanking guide below. It might help.

Edited by dijskykiller

I've been working hard on my PT tanking lately, and just hit 700k+ in a normal WZ.

I've learned a few things that help. Hotkey guard (my F key) and Follow (G), that way when you need to swap guards it's very easy to find your new target and get within 15m for guard.

Mark your preferred healer with a shield Icon. That way you know whos number 1 on your protection list and you can find them easy in battle. This helps anyone else on the team know who to protect also.

Healers are what make large protection numbers possible, so make sure you've got them covered first, use your CCs for that purpose. One stun can give your healer the chance to get out of the 10% health zone and back to healing.

In a normal WZ, good healers (or multiple healers) will drop their agro by running around and then you can get back to guarding the dps or anyone taking damage, keep swapping targets constantly to soften the damage for the heals and make sure you're covering anyone focused, heals or not.

Sef's guide ^ is pretty sweet. Use it. I've had no problem beating jugs on protection, it just takes a little more work to stay in range as a PT.

Much appreciated guys thx! As I eluded to in my original post I figured it had as much to do with improving my play as anything else. Definitely relieved to see that it wasn't some sort of mechanical issue or limitation strictly based on the class or specc! The guide I'll def be referring to often..well done!

I have never had any issue with protection numbers against jugg tanks. In fact, i find my PT, 90% of the time ahead in both damage and prot against top juggs in my server. However, it's basically knowing who to guard at a specific situation. Maybe the jugg tank in your team guarded a dps who got focused more than the healer. We actually have an advantage against juggs because our AoE taunt is ranged. You just have to keep in mind not to leave your guarding range because unlike juggs we don't have intercede unless you have HO or JC up.

Generally Juggernauts have it slightly easier on the protection number because their AoE taunt has about 3x the radius of the vanguard tuant, meaning a jug can walk into the center of mid AoE taunt can get both the maurader beating on the healer and get the sniper up on the ledge. However its not that big of a thing and can be easily counter with better taunt usage from a PT.

I also believe that PTs should stay at the max guarding range for easy guard switches. In terms of guarding teammates, Jugg is easier to tank with than PTs due to their added DCDs and utility, but they're pretty much balanced if you're comfortable playing ST.

I was also pure DPS since launch, and started tanking few weeks after 2.0 hits. It's a totally different playstyle, but i find it really enjoyable to see the impact you can make in a game as a tank. Check out my pvp tanking guide below. It might help.

I agree with this entire bit, abet I did tanking on my vanguard since 1.2, and the 2.0 buffs was like Christmas for me.

I've been working hard on my PT tanking lately, and just hit 700k+ in a normal WZ.

I've learned a few things that help. Hotkey guard (my F key) and Follow (G), that way when you need to swap guards it's very easy to find your new target and get within 15m for guard.

Mark your preferred healer with a shield Icon. That way you know whos number 1 on your protection list and you can find them easy in battle. This helps anyone else on the team know who to protect also.

Follow seems like a slow way to find a healer. Personally I just set my healer as focus target, which places both a circle under their feet and a marker over their head. The focus target markers are only visible to me so I don't have to worry about it confusing dps. Also working with a particular healer a lot, generally leads you to start instinctively knowing where they are.

Follow seems like a slow way to find a healer. Personally I just set my healer as focus target, which places both a circle under their feet and a marker over their head. The focus target markers are only visible to me so I don't have to worry about it confusing dps. Also working with a particular healer a lot, generally leads you to start instinctively knowing where they are.

For follow I just use it to turn, then run on my own when I've swapped to a new person thats being focused. It's not often, but it comes in handy sometimes. Especially with pugs that I'm not familiar with yet.

I'll practice with the focus target more, that makes sense.

I don't see a downside on marking a good healer at the start of a match, so far it's always been helpful for everyone to see where their heals are coming from. I've done it in all roles and seen a benefit, especially as a dps. This goes for at least half pugged reg WZs.

For follow I just use it to turn, then run on my own when I've swapped to a new person thats being focused. It's not often, but it comes in handy sometimes. Especially with pugs that I'm not familiar with yet.

I'll practice with the focus target more, that makes sense.

I don't see a downside on marking a good healer at the start of a match, so far it's always been helpful for everyone to see where their heals are coming from. I've done it in all roles and seen a benefit, especially as a dps. This goes for at least half pugged reg WZs.

Marking isn't inherently bad, but particularly in pugs people tend to either not understand it/ignore it, or remove the marker because they think marking is only for enemy heals, or just accidently remove it by placing an identical marker on some other target.

Regardless Focus target is must for tanks, as now only does it place a marker but it allows me to more easily see when the healer is taking, fire, when they are being interrupted and since it shows debuffs I can also see when they are being stunned/rooted/snared, and do so without having to directly target them or face their toon