The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bring swg back!!!!!!!!!!

JACKNATOR

Bioware killed SWG and delevired us a not so functional game with no Creativity like SWG. No player citys, No Custoum Starships. No homes. No Player run econemy and garbage RPing.

No, Lucasarts pulled the plug on SWG. Now they may have only wanted one Star Wars themed MMO so they wouldn't be in effect competing with themselves, but I'm sure if Lucasarts would have let SOE keep SWG alive, IF the subscription numbers justified it (I'm not sure they did) they would have done so, even with SWTOR going live.

Then again I remember when the CU and NGE hit as well. I wasn't playing SWG, I was playing EQ2 at the time. But a lot of my guildmates did play SWG, and they left in droves due to CU & NGE, and from what I understand never tried it again. One might argue that in part SOE/SWG killed SWG.

Now would I like to see some of the things from let's say SWG or EQ2 in SWTOR? Sure. EQ2 had player homes via an instance for each house, and had a whole crafting class devoted to making furniture and items for said homes. I'd love to see that. Same for ships. Not sure what you mean by "Player ran economy", but well I know that plenty of people sell stuff on the GTN, that seems player ran. As for garbage RP...again what do you even mean? I see plenty of RP on my server (Ebon Hawk), mostly in some of the cantinas but in other places as well. Every time I log on fleet with my main, I hear the middle of in character conversations. I wonder how those people would react to you calling it "garbage RP".

Now if you enjoyed SWG, great! But if you don't enjoy this game, instead of whining about it, why not vote by cancelling your subscription, or if F2p don't play anymore and don't buy anything on the cartel market and find a game that's closer to what you want? It's what I'd do.

50k unique subs, over 100k active subs (alt accounts, because that game... you know, needed alt accounts and could run them both at the same time, some people quad logged or even x8 logged)

Considering you could live on a server, with hour by hour raids, pvp... roleplaying etc with less than 5k players, the 50k subbed over the somewhat small server list (by the end of the game) meant it was VERY cost effective for servers and a VERY small team.

Height? 550k or so...

150k or so STILL subbed before the announcement... and 50k subs stuck around for the end, I know at least 50k of those not subbed were likely single account owners and regret not playing the last 6 months. I know I do, as I basically logged in 2-3 times, one of those being the final day.

If SWG stayed active, even if it was WIPED CLEAR or a NEW SERVER FROM SKRATCH was put up when ToR came out... 99% of SWG (a guess, but tell me I'm wrong as an SWG player) players would have returned to SWG after playing ToR for less than 3 months. (this includes the 1 week total players for early access).

if I recall, it cost the company $100,000 a month to run the servers (alone) ... 50k subbs ++ the card game, more than covered. The Salary? Covered by the other 100k subs ++ card game not to mention the team was only 6 members. The game was still running a profit.

They revive SWG, under EA's banner and a single person from SoE patching every couple of weeks - may cost them 2-3,000$$ a month if they use a downgraded server... but if they run a sub system and a decent server, it'll pay for itself and then some.

EMU spends a couple hundred a month on their server, or will do... and can support 3500 players at a time last time I checked, imagine what a couple of thousand a month could do for a game like SWG.

Bioware killed SWG and delevired us a not so functional game with no Creativity like SWG. No player citys, No Custoum Starships. No homes. No Player run econemy and garbage RPing.

Take off the nostalgia goggles SWG was dying well before Tor was around and I played it from rage of the wookies onwards.

Just let it go if you don't like this game leave and find something else instead of whining on the forums

TOR is a combat game. All classes revolve around engaging in combat with NPCs or PCs. All content revolves around making your character better at this. And more recently, looking better while doing it.

Combat was only one (and arguably its worst) aspect of SWG.

Two entirely different games, and if it wasn't for the chatbox, two different genres.

Edited by Raddic

I played SWG over 6 years.

(1) Bioware had nothing to do with SWG closing. It was stated over and over that it was a choice by Sony and LucasArts not to renew the contract.

(2) Creativity depends on your view. I see plenty of creativity in SWTOR.

(3) Player cities? Most of the cities were struggling to keep people in the city as most had stopped playing.

(3) Custom Starships? Yes you could customize your starship but most of the ones I went on (minus the non combat one) were not ever customized.

(4) Home. I will give you that. I will admit I miss those.

(5) Player ran economy? If you want to talk about overpricing items than okay. Most of the items were overpriced. Though I will admit the personalization was there for the clothing and you could have your own shop.

(6) Roleplaying? I am and always have been a roleplayer. I have found roleplaying here to be more substantial than what was happening on SWG. You have the nerve to call roleplaying here as Garbage? I have yet to be involved in one that I would state as that. Roleplay is dependent on the person or persons doing it. There may be some that I would not involve myself in as it is not my style but I would never be rude enough to call someone else's roleplay garbage. That is rude and insulting.

SWG was a great game but it also had it share of problems which it seems most have overlooked. I was a member of the forums and there just as much complaining on it as I have seen on SWTOR. People always complained about something.

A game is only as good as the community. It is your choice how to react. You can always complain and essentially tear everything that is brought in down or you can learn to enjoy playing with your guild and friends.

Anyways my two cents.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

The only good thing about SWG was the sandbox stuff everything else was terrible. Well the space combat was ok. But the combat system was terrible. I could go teras kasi queue up a dozen kicks and walk away and win. That was pre-cu also. Then lets talk about doctor buffs ok. I could run into a rancor pit and kill them all, 6 or so...solo

I have real memories of SWG, I know it wasn't everyone's cup of tea but that world lived and breathed. I know people that only ever played that game and haven't played another since its demise. Whenever I logged in my main I felt like I was waking up from a nights sleep lol

No other game gave me that experience, i like SWTOR but I don't even remember what I did last night as my brain doesn't care in the slightest.

SWTOR is probably healthier but SWG was an epic experience, as Star Wars should be. Would love to see it back, or preferably SWG 2 once this is done, which takes the best from both games but focuses more or sandbox than linear.

Yeah, and no western MMO had much more than that until WOW, and it didn't get really huge until a little later. WOW broke all the records, and counting accounts in China blew them way up. No western MMO will ever equal that again.

All these freemium games will never equal those account numbers, not even with the easy way for them to count their accounts.

I am sometimes surprised at how ignorant can people be. Yes SWG had many problems and was never a polished game, that is the truth of it, but comparing the concepts and ideas in the gameplay of SWTOR to SWG, is just blasphemy.

SWTOR has really nothing remotely innovative to offer to the genre. Voice overs were a good addition but ask yourself did it add anything that really changed core gameplay?

SWG space combat combined a game like TIE fighter, to an MMO...

SWG managed to integrate space and ground combat, taking the successful system mentioned above and adding it to ground PvP as well. Really need I say more?? SWTOR offers.... arenas...

I am sorry people miss SWG, but BioWare is not the droids you are looking for, Lucasarts are the droids you want. Got talk to the mouse now.

I miss floppy disc too. BioWare bring them back. :p

Edited by mikebevo