They took our names! Day tuk owr nams! da durka dur!

RandomState

First they came for the XxSSJGokuxXes,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't named XxSSJGokuxX.

Then they came for the Iswearshewas18s,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't named Iswearshewas18.

Then they came for Leroy of the Jenkins Legacy,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't in the Jenkins Legacy, nor was I named Leroy.

Then they came for me,

and marveled at how not-dumb my name was by any comparison.

Edited by SkunkWerks

Come on, my Gunslinger had that name before he moved of the Harbinger to AP and now that's he back he looses it to a level 1 that camped it after I left and hasn't used it since. Da durka dur!

I appreciate your frustration (as would any of us that has lost a name due to server move) - but what do you REALLY expect them to do? Do you think they should strip the name of someone who had it on that server before you arrived because you had it first on another server?

I appreciate your frustration (as would any of us that has lost a name due to server move) - but what do you REALLY expect them to do? Do you think they should strip the name of someone who had it on that server before you arrived because you had it first on another server?

It should go to whoever had the name longest overall. I lost several of my names from the first initial server merge and couldn't get them back, unless those people all typed in those names on wave 1 of early access (I was in wave 1 of early access and immediately created characters with all the names I wanted to use so no one else could) then I should have been able to take them back for myself since I had seniority.

Edited by Khayleth

It should go to whoever had the name longest overall. I lost several of my names from the first initial server merge and couldn't get them back, unless those people all typed in those names on wave 1 of early access (I was in wave 1 of early access and immediately created characters with all the names I wanted to use so no one else could) then I should have been able to take them back for myself since I had seniority.

So you think someone who had that name first on THAT server - likely for months and months - should have their name stripped because someone merged in from another server? You think that's remotely fair to the person who had that name on that server first? Where will you draw the line? The amount of hours played on a character? What about voluntary server moves? Would those count too?

I think seniority on the specific server in question has to be considered first, as it is now. I've had to change half a dozen names when going to a new server. I didn't like it, but I understood it. I even tried to reserve names by creating place holders where I could. But I don't see any way it's remotely proper to strip someone of a name who didn't move from another server, for whatever reason.

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't in the Jenkins Legacy, nor was I named Leroy.

Then they came for me,

No, no, no...

I loled and all, but this is one of my favorite quotations and now it's destroyed... :(

I find it hilariously ironic for all my RP characters with conflicting names when it's my characters that still possess them.

Way back when there was zero faction mailing possibility, I moved to two different servers, and recreated all my characters, imps on one server, pubs on the other. But then legacy allowed mail between alts, and so I moved back.

Then I moved to the asia pacific servers. Now I've had all my RP characters moved to my old pub only server, and find it sad that my near 50's and over are being forced to rename, when my rookies that aren't even over 10 are still in place.

I find it much less amusing when I find out my imperials are forced to rename, when I was the one who got those names in the pre-launch naming.

So you think someone who had that name first on THAT server - likely for months and months - should have their name stripped because someone merged in from another server?

Forced merged by BioWare, so yes, forced merged players should get to keep a name that is in use on the new destination server if they had theirs longer. If you chose to switch servers you have to be willing to give up the name.

I agree with OP. APAC players didn't choose to move servers, but we lost our names.

There should be an auto-expiry period for names. We can argue about how long it is, but I'd probably say 28 days. I expect everyone would find that harsh, so let's say 3 months.

If you have not logged into your character for 3 months, not even just to keep it active, then you should lose your name and anyone can take it. Now if no one else tried to use it, you log back in, you get your name back, well done. If not, you log back in, you get a forced rename.

I know there may be a few circumstances where serious players legitimately can't log in for 3 months (e.g. a soldier gets deployed to Afghanistan) and it might suck for them (could ask someone else to log in for them?), but let's be honest, in 99% of cases if you have not logged into a toon for 3 months, you are not serious about that toon. A lot of guilds kick inactives at around the 28 day mark too, so most people will have logged in just to keep them active.

I'm sure I'll get shouted down, but I really don't think serious players would leave a toon untouched for 3 months unless it is an unloved alt. In which case, you didn't bother logging in, you lost your name, boohoo.

Even if we extend that to 6 months or something, it would help. We all know there are tons of abandoned toons lying around where the person does not and never will play TOR ever again. They don't want or need that name. But there is no system to free those names up (unless we rely on players deleting all their toons before they quit the game!).

So please, BW, give us back our names! I lost my main name when I came from APAC and it was my whole TOR identity. I friended that name and they are NEVER online!! EVER!!!

There should be an auto-expiry period for names. We can argue about how long it is, but I'd probably say 28 days. I expect everyone would find that harsh, so let's say 3 months.

If you have not logged into your character for 3 months, not even just to keep it active, then you should lose your name and anyone can take it. Now if no one else tried to use it, you log back in, you get your name back, well done. If not, you log back in, you get a forced rename.!

lol, that's a ridiculous notion and it'll never happen. It's a game not a life debt. People can come and go as they please without fear of losing anything.

We were all hit by the rename wave. Get over it.

Come on, my Gunslinger had that name before he moved of the Harbinger to AP and now that's he back he looses it to a level 1 that camped it after I left and hasn't used it since. Da durka dur!

Ok first why did you move from Harbinger to AP in the first place? When before they made paid transfers available BW was already talking about closing down the AP servers? Sounds like you just did this to yourself.

Then they came for me,

Nice work.

LOL.

lol, that's a ridiculous notion and it'll never happen. It's a game not a life debt. People can come and go as they please without fear of losing anything.

I prefer "It's a game, not a visit to the ER," thank you very much. :p

Edited by branmakmuffin