Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Scheduled Maintenance for Server Consolidation

CourtneyWoods

On Tuesday August 13th,2013 we will be performing scheduled maintenance for consolidation of APAC into West Coast North American servers. There will not be a patch to download during this downtime. Details are as follows:

APAC and NA-West Coast Servers will be unavailable from August 12th 10PM PDT (August 13th 5AM UTC; 3PM EST-AU) until August 13th 10AM PDT (5PM UTC; August 14th 3AM EST-AU).

To minimize downtime for other services, NA-East Coast and European Servers, SWTOR.com, and the game launcher will remain available for several more hours. We anticipate they will come down on August 13th between 12 AM and 4 AM PDT and will remain unavailable until 10AM PDT (5PM UTC).

During maintenance, updates and additional information will be posted on our Twitter account.

Thank you for your patience as we maintain service for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Edited by AmberGreen

1. What happens if I have too many characters on a server after the merge?

2. How does this effect the bounty hunter event start time? It's starting about that time isn't it?

ok so European servers are going down 2-6 hours after?

Edited by mrpayday
reread message

On Tuesday August 13th,2013 we will be performing scheduled maintenance for consolidation of APAC into West Coast North American servers. There will not be a patch to download during this downtime. Details are as follows:

APAC and NA-West Coast Servers will be unavailable from August 12th 10PM PDT (August 13th 5AM UTC) until August 13th 10AM PDT (5PM UTC).

This timeframe makes sense . The following for NA-East and Europe doesn't

To minimize downtime for other services, NA-East Coast and European Servers, SWTOR.com, and the game launcher will remain available for several more hours. We anticipate they will come down on August 13th between 12 AM and 4 AM PDT and will remain unavailable until 10AM PDT (5PM UTC)

What I read here is that the servers may go down on 12 AM PDT. They will come online again 2 hours EARLIER on 10 AM PDT. Something in there must be a mistype. Can you please elaborate more about the downtime courtney? (PS: don't forget to post the UTC-times for our convenience ;-))

EDIT:

Yesterday had a thought about it and besides the missing UTC times the times are correct indeed. Since I never use the 12 hours AM/PM system I forgot that time goes from 11 PM to 12 AM. Feel like a noob now :eek:

The converted downtime to UTC would be from 7 AM UTC / 11 AM UTC till 5 PM UTC.

Edited by fire-breath

This timeframe makes sense . The following for NA-East and Europe doesn't

What I read here is that the servers may go down on 12 AM PDT. They will come online again 2 hours EARLIER on 10 AM PDT. Something in there must be a mistype. Can you please elaborate more about the downtime courtney? (PS: don't forget to post the UTC-times for our convenience ;-))

Actually, if it was supposed to be online 2 hours earlier, then it would be 10 PM PDT (on the 12th, too), not 10 AM PDT. The times listed are right.

Will people already on the West coast servers have the potential for losing their character names? If so, why?

No, when a transferred characters name is already taken on the server , the transferred character has to be renamed.

No, when a transferred characters name is already taken on the server , the transferred character has to be renamed.

The problem is, they are referring to this as a Consolidation, not a Transfer. Much like when the old servers were Consolidated into the new super servers. It's a legitimate question then. Are the APAC characters merely being transferred to the West Coast servers, thereby making it so the APAC characters are renamed, or is it essentially creating new West Coast servers with the same renaming policy as the prior Consolidation?

As if the servers wernt full enough already, first you "consolidate" from around 20+ servers down to 10 and THEN you go free to play, now we are going down to even FEWER servers!?!

99% of APAC players are already on the U.S servers and have been for many weeks. The APAC servers are literally ghost towns, pic is from a few weeks back:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/630785219539707691/DB3B0A4BBBC2B083969BFE340F2F12AE42879F0D/

As if the servers wernt full enough already, first you "consolidate" from around 20+ servers down to 10 and THEN you go free to play, now we are going down to even FEWER servers!?!

Considering they're force-consolidating an entire region away, my guess is it wasn't a simple "oh we don't need those servers anymore", it's probably an issue of them being unable to host servers in the APAC region in the future.

Considering they're force-consolidating an entire region away, my guess is it wasn't a simple "oh we don't need those servers anymore", it's probably an issue of them being unable to host servers in the APAC region in the future.

Actually it is because the APAC servers didn't have enough of a population to sustain them, and people were complaining. (There's a long running thread in this very forum that will attest to that.)

(Opinion: Bioware/EA may not have had these population issues on the APAC servers had they released them at launch in December 2011.)

During the first server consolidation, the two german RP-servers were joined. I was on Vanjervalis Chain from the start and I still am on that server (so the other server was the one joining us)... and I still lost one charname due to the transfer.

They should of had a 50-50 chance of that in the case of forced transfer like this, because it is not like the APAC players are moving their characters over on a whim.

My concern is how they will be handling name conflicts when people have purchased name changes from the cartel market. Do those people still risk losing the name? And if so, will they be refunded for the cash they paid to obtain it in the first place?