Why are you complaining, the game looks so much better IMO

Moonraker

people are griping about the way the game looks now, I think it looks crisp and new, looks great IMO, I can't understand some of you people for the life of me. Great patch, great new graphic look, we can buy Treek with creds, new FPs, daily area, I mean why are you people so negative? I just don't get it.

i agree..it looks great...people are complaining the saturation is too high. what they don't realize is that it isn't the saturation..area lighting in certain places are too bright, and tbh have always been too bright, but people didn't notice it too much because the colors weren't that vibrant.

looks to me the overall brightness has been turned down, color turned up and things look crisper..i love it.

"Better" is a subjective term. For a while, the trend in games was to go for hyper-realism, which ended up in washed-out colors and the like. Almost like a Sepia Age of gaming. Now, developers are realizing that color is okay. TOR has never been light on the color, but they're allowing it to pop more, which is cool.

But some people like more subtlety in their color schemes. This patch is going in the opposite direction of their preferences. So they're letting the devs know. Same as any other update, really.

There's also the fact that many people aren't happy unless they're miserable. A lot of very vocal MMO players fit into that description.

People complain because they need to complain about something.

People are miserable and they absolutely LOVE it.

This, a thousand times this. I picture the BW staff reading this forum, facepalming and moaning over and over: "we can't win, we simply cannot win."

There are plenty of legit gripes about the game, but imo, these recent complaints smack of complaining solely for the sake of complaining.

This, a thousand times this. I picture the BW staff reading this forum, facepalming and moaning over and over: "we can't win, we simply cannot win."

There are plenty of legit gripes about the game, but imo, these recent complaints smack of complaining solely for the sake of complaining.

Actually they can win. by giving players CHOICE. If you're going to put in a significant graphical change like this (and for some peoples hardware setup it is quite significant) then it is essential to also include an on-off toggle in the graphics options. An over-ride in an obscure config file (which may or may not continue to be supported in future patches), whilst welcome, does not cut it.

If you like the change, great. Enjoy. But get off the back of those who don't like the change. A change like this clearly isn't going to be to everyones' tastes and so don't assume that people are complaining for the sake of it. All anyone is asking for is CHOICE. Most other things which significantly alter the visuals (such as Bloom) are included as an option in Preferences. This needs to be too.

Actually they can win. by giving players CHOICE. If you're going to put in a significant graphical change like this (and for some peoples hardware setup it is quite significant) then it is essential to also include an on-off toggle in the graphics options. An over-ride in an obscure config file (which may or may not continue to be supported in future patches), whilst welcome, does not cut it.

If you like the change, great. Enjoy. But get off the back of those who don't like the change. A change like this clearly isn't going to be to everyones' tastes and so don't assume that people are complaining for the sake of it. All anyone is asking for is CHOICE. Most other things which significantly alter the visuals (such as Bloom) are included as an option in Preferences. This needs to be too.

Or you could just adjust your monitor to something that suits you better. Honestly, a toggle on this is absurd. I can't believe some people actually acting as if they've been wronged somehow over this. :rolleyes:

You'd think that, but then comes the threads about there not being enough choices or too little choices or having choices at all or a choice not being the right choice when you picked it at the time or a million other complaints that your mind can come up with.

Bioware, nay any game developer can never win. Because YOU LIKE BEING MISERABLE.

Or you could just adjust your monitor to something that suits you better. Honestly, a toggle on this is absurd. I can't believe some people actually acting as if they've been wronged somehow over this. :rolleyes:

Yep, I really disliked how vibrant the new change was and have spent most of the day playing around with options to get around it. I went for the Client-Settings change to deactivate the new change first but felt that was a bit of overkill so most of the time has been spent trying to modify it to a point that I like. At first I thought that would be an ingame option like changing the gamma level but in the end my optimal solution was adjusting my monitor settings.

I now leave the new graphics setting running and change the colour adjustment preset of my monitor. I use an Iilyama Prolite 2473hds and the option was:

menu -> colour adjust -> i-Style colour -> Text

I'm sure this will vary from monitor to monitor, but I found the previous 'games' option far too bright and vibrant, whereas this 'Text' setting seems to be a healthy compromise of both (while the colours and contrast still pop they are muted enough not to burn my retinas, and the fog effects are really nice now), now I have a graphics update that is far more pleasing to the eye, well, my eyes at least

Edited by Vhaegrant

As it happens my monitor is calibrated, it doesn't need adjusting. But thanks for your consideration. Keep up the good work with the cheerleading.

What about the guy who complained that moddable droid armors made by cybertechs have green names rather than orange names? That was mind boggling.

Edited by branmakmuffin

people are griping about the way the game looks now, I think it looks crisp and new, looks great IMO, I can't understand some of you people for the life of me. Great patch, great new graphic look, we can buy Treek with creds, new FPs, daily area, I mean why are you people so negative? I just don't get it.

it's hit or miss. Parts look better..others do not. I don't like how if you're in a slight shadow you turn into a black blob shaped like a toon..for instance.

but you can turn it off if you don't like it...so there's that.

oh and the answer to your "why are you complaining" has a lot to do with the last 3 letters in your very title.

here's a hint...the "o" part. they vary. shocking isn't it?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people love the old masters and others love modern art. Why does it bother some people so much that people have divergent tastes? It seems like there are more people complaining that some people prefer the muted tones than there are people who didn't like the change to begin with.

Yes. The game does look a lot better. More detailed and it's not drab and dark looking :p

They are used to the old way and was with it and got used to it for a long time so they don't like the new way. Just adapt :) The game looks 100 percent better everywhere you go. The color palette change was awesome and everything looks more detailed.

Best decision they ever made :)

I'm one of the people who doesn't like the change. I'm going to be spending my limited play time tonight trying to undo the damage done. I couldn't even get past the character log in screen. Most of my characters look sick or like they used too much spray tan. I am very finicky on how my characters look, and some of them I spent cartel coins on to tweak their complexions (others I rerolled several times to get just right)- that is now money wasted since they look nothing like the colors I chose.

I think it's fantastic that some people love the change since that means it wasn't a complete waste of money on Bioware's part, but extend some courtesy to people who have different tastes from yours. Some people really do prefer subtle and subdued colors. No one is bashing the people who like the change, so why are people bashing those who don't?

i think some people were saying the gamma correction was going wonky depending on if you have full screen, full screen (windowed), or windowed mode.

i tested them out myself but didn't see anything, but i wonder if some people are having issues with the palette.

so we're not all seeing the same thing, and that could be a big reason why there's so much polarization with this.

I'm one of the people who doesn't like the change. I'm going to be spending my limited play time tonight trying to undo the damage done. I couldn't even get past the character log in screen. Most of my characters look sick or like they used too much spray tan. I am very finicky on how my characters look, and some of them I spent cartel coins on to tweak their complexions (others I rerolled several times to get just right)- that is now money wasted since they look nothing like the colors I chose.

I think it's fantastic that some people love the change since that means it wasn't a complete waste of money on Bioware's part, but extend some courtesy to people who have different tastes from yours. Some people really do prefer subtle and subdued colors. No one is bashing the people who like the change, so why are people bashing those who don't?

Somewhere is posted some config file tweak to disable the new effects (assuming the fix is not a joke).