This game needs a Comm Conversion System.

Slicksteezin

I don't like the thought of a conversion system because it negates the push to get you to earn the higher tier comms.

I would, however, like to see more things be purchasable with comms that have nothing to do with Tier gear. Speeders, schematics, custom shells, pets, even CM fluff. Especially CM fluff.

I have a ton of basic comms because there is nothing I need from the basic comm vendors. At some point I'll probably just convert them to credits because they have no other value.

I don't like the thought of a conversion system because it negates the push to get you to earn the higher tier comms.

I would, however, like to see more things be purchasable with comms that have nothing to do with Tier gear. Speeders, schematics, custom shells, pets, even CM fluff. Especially CM fluff.

I have a ton of basic comms because there is nothing I need from the basic comm vendors. At some point I'll probably just convert them to credits because they have no other value.

I could really get behind this! Great idea!

Everyone who cares about progressing raiding.

Not being a raider to speak off, can you elaborate exactly what you meant by "progressing raiding"

for instance...

You mean progessive raiding such as it is in wow, you do baby raids to get the armor you need to do mid raids who will earn you the new armor to do the ultiamte raids? Kinda like tier-1, tier-2, tier-3 armors?

You mean progressive raiding, as a means to get more players to actually participate in raids?

something else?

Sue

Yes that is what is meant. This also generally means that almost everyone who has the top tier level gear worked for it and knows how to play. If people can just buy the gear then raiding is just like queuing for flasphoints and you have people who have no idea how to play their class or gear their character.

Also if you're not doing top tier raiding, what's the point of getting the top tier gear?

Said the guy who was explaining that difference in PVE and PVP is in E and P

I wasn't finding the most ridiculous application of an idea and telling it as if that's the only possible application and pretending like everyone in the thread was too dumb to realize that's what I was doing. I was simply answering a question in the simplest form possible and trying to be funny about it as well, because life's boring if you can't laugh at it.

Edited by Arlon_Nabarlly

I wasn't finding the most ridiculous application of an idea and telling it as if that's the only possible application and pretending like everyone in the thread was too dumb to realize that's what I was doing. I was simply answering a question in the simplest form possible and trying to be funny about it as well, because life's boring if you can't laugh at it.

Where exactly I said its the only way possible? I simply used logic that was already in PVP gear and conversion that is worse than the conversion OP suggested.

Sorry if I somehow insulted you in the process to the point of you explaining to me difference between PVP and PVE in matter that you did.

Edited by SettGirkkurn

Yes that is what is meant. This also generally means that almost everyone who has the top tier level gear worked for it and knows how to play. If people can just buy the gear then raiding is just like queuing for flasphoints and you have people who have no idea how to play their class or gear their character.

Also if you're not doing top tier raiding, what's the point of getting the top tier gear?

Mmm, I think I see your point, but help me here since I tend to be more of a pragmatist than philosophist...

When I look at gear loaded with the level 50 mods, or level 52, 53, 55 mods, the only difference I see is the size of the modifications or benefits you gain from the hilts, armor, mods, enhancements, augments, etc.

If my observation is correct, I can't correlate the higher valued modifiers to play class/style expertise. Thus the fact that I have ultimate gear, does not quite equate at being a more experienced or masterful player, it simply meant I been through more activiteis that yielded the goodies. I have been in lots of raids, across, many games, and lots of folks just do as told and are rather unimaginative and after awhile they do sport nice gear. Of course you do have the sharp folks, that really know their job, and of course like the dummies, they are also very well equipped.

For myself, I find myself in a transition status, for in the begining, I am focused in leveling and I am all PvE, and mostly DPS and never real think of groups for they are usually not needed, especially if you are trying to progress quickly. As a result I go from 1 to 55 very shortly and never bothered to do a heroic to boot, much less flashpoints, and other content. But then once I get to 55, the world drastically changes for me, now I am interested in grouping, doing the heroics I skipped, same with flashback and other content, and yes thanks and gratefully being member of a great guild, there are lots of mentors to help me during my transition.

So now, after all this hot air, I look at gear. It certainly makes it one heck of a lot easier and comvenient to my guild mates for me to be as best possibly geared as possible, as opposed of having me trudging thru the swamp to eventually become reasonably geared for the fun content. In fact, my guild has exceptionally great crafters, who for materials crafts me the best possible gear in the game they can make, usually level 54. I can't afford the level 55 stuff right out, but I can work in earning them.

So for the gear level 54 for instance where is the harm in it being tradeable for mere planetary commendations? at the end if I could, my mentor's jobs would be much easier, in fact, I could say there is more harm in not making the gear readily available. Conversely if you want to do a tier-3 raid, would you not like it for many of the would be players to actually have tier-2 goodies readily avaiable so you have more players to work with? Sure there is a risk its the e-bay level 55, giggles, but those will soon work a reputation for being newbs and thus being easily avoidable inthe future.

Sue

I agree that there should be a conversion system but it should only convert down. What is most ridiculous about this is the Vials of Isotope 5. They only drop in one place (Toborro's Courtyard) or you can buy them with Basic Commendations. Outside of TC, end game raiders have to run dailies (and other not fun stuff) to get the commendations to buy them since Basic Commendations do not drop in operations. Letting us convert the Elite Commendations we have down to Basic Commendations would then allow end game raiders access to end game raiding crafting materials.

The purpose behind the various comm tiers, however, is indeed progression.

You can start 55 HM's with crafted 28's and through Elite and Ultimate comms as well as loot start getting gear with 30's in it. At the same time you can probably get away with running 55 SM OP's in 28 gear but an entire group in 28's will be hard pressed in some instances.

Once you've collected your 30's gear, you find it easier to run 55 SM OP's and start collecting gear with set bonuses. Meanwhile, you are using the Elite and Ultimate comms to fill the gaps in gear you didn't win.

Then you start working towards HM OP's, normally while still running HM FP's and SM OP's for the comms to help continue to fill in gaps.

If you can just skip over that progression by running endless FP's or grinding dailies, you aren't really preparing yourself for the harder content. Conversely, if you have no intention of actually running the harder content then you don't really need the better gear fast enough to justify a comm conversion system.

You have the alternative of buying what mod's that can be crafted but this is again more designed towards filling in gaps in gear rather than gearing up people altogether.

I agree that there should be a conversion system but it should only convert down. What is most ridiculous about this is the Vials of Isotope 5. They only drop in one place (Toborro's Courtyard) or you can buy them with Basic Commendations. Outside of TC, end game raiders have to run dailies (and other not fun stuff) to get the commendations to buy them since Basic Commendations do not drop in operations. Letting us convert the Elite Commendations we have down to Basic Commendations would then allow end game raiders access to end game raiding crafting materials.

Again, I agree that grinding dailies is a pain in the *** but I think this is the way it has to be. If you got trade elites for basics and thus have easier access to isotope-5, i think you would see a lot less people in 72s who have done few HM raids. I'm not an elitest at all, in fact im plenty willing to help undergeared players through heroics or FP's or raids but I do honestly think high tiers of gear should be reserved for hard content.

If there is an alternative method to obtain such high level gear, it should be difficult to do (i.e. grinding for isotope). Not to mention trading comms down to get isotope would drastically increase the supply available and thus many who sell it on the GTN would see a HUGE drop in value. Economically and gear-wise I think it makes sense for isotope to be where it is. And beyond isotope, I really see no other purpose for trading comms, except for maybe credits (now that I would get behind)