Does Gear Really Matter? {Part 1}

iheartnyc

I have decided to run an experiment on the importance of gear in PVP.

I typically average between 1000-1500 DPS in a regular warzone. All of my gear is fully min/maxed Conqueror with purple Strength augments. I do not use the Matrix Cube.

What happens when I remove every piece of armor but retain weapons, earpiece, relics and implants?

http://www.twitch.tv/eliteduelist/b/438282099

Based on my rough calculations, my initial conclusions are:

1) DPS drop of anywhere between 20-40%.

2) Roughly 50% increase in deaths (drop in DPS is going to be roughly correlated to increase in deaths)

3) Biggest hit is significantly lower (average 9000k dropping to 6000k).

4) Still can be highly effective in Regular, but absolutely worthless for Ranked

Next time, I will run WZs with ONLY mainhand and no other piece of equipment.

Edited by iheartnyc

Yeah figured as much by now.

They sure "fixed" bolster eh....

I ain't grinding ****. especially when a new set is coming in October. And new augments too?... El Oh El

Reusable Rakata stim ftw still, amirite gais!

guys?..

hello?..

Edited by Virus_Bot

i think gear always helps but i dont think min maxed partisan vs conquer makes to big of a diffrence. All of my characters are either in partisan or half partisan and ive manage to break 2000DPS on 3 of them and im not that great of a player. Im sure better players can do way better. I just started playing my juggernaut that i havent touched since patch 1.2, Its in full champion gear so i bought a bunch of level 10 greens from the vender and was able to do 1700DPS in my first hutball (as smash of course). Personally i dont plan on gearing out any of my toons as i think its a waste of time. WIth arena right around the corner and a whole new set of gear i dont see the point in such a small upgrade :p but then again i play only a few hours a week and have many alts i like to play

There's a number of problems with your experiment.

1. You have slots empty, which doesn't bolster the way any other piece of gear would. Buy some level 1 greens.

2. Empty/bolstered gear typically doesn't get augmented, cuz you know, why spend 100k augmenting **** you replace in an hour.

3. You can't even do this experiment with relics because there really aren't any good "lowbie" relics that bolster at all.

So yeah, buy some level 1's and augment them and leave your relics and maybe your implants/earpieces where they are. Then see how it all works out.

Edited by JP_Legatus

Last night a blue 53 str/power/surg implant dropped in IIllum. I put in in WZ and compared the gain loss of stats between it and conqueror implant and the result.... I gained 3 bonus damage, surge stayed the same and lost 10 expertise.

I was really really sad knowing that I spent 1,425 RWZ and 200 WZ comms for nothing, and that's top PvP crap compared to a lvl 53 blue PvE implant...

Please explain to how is this working as "intended."

Edited by Ottoattack

Bolster doesn't work for naked people, but my burst was better in my min/max "converted" EWH pants +legs than it is in Conq gear, as I examined my combat logs. Same thing with my purple 53 Ear versus my Conq ear.

So I guess the answer of your "question" does hold merit, in an odd, twisted kinda way.

Yes... gear still matters.

So your conclusion is that wearing gear is better than not wearing gear?

I'm glad you're here to tell us these things! Chewie, take the professor in the back and plug him into the hyperdrive!

Unfortunately there was a bug when 2.0 launched allowing people with no gear to be bolstered above pvp gear. O how I miss seeing the naked Jedi leap to me and smash for 10k.

Expertise matters, so that makes PvP gear matter.

Duel someone with 2018 expertise when you have sub 1800 and see what happens. You don't hit hard enough to matter and your dead in 10 seconds despite all the skill you may think you have.

To be competitive in PvP you need max expertise PERIOD! End of discussion.

Partisan gear is easy to get, there really is no excuse to PvP without it and have 2018 expertise.