Marauder class representative questions/discussion thread.

Gudarzz

Gudarzz, I'd like to have a question raised with the devs that affects not only Marauders but the entire pvp community: why the hell would you want to remove a feature of the game that has been the foundation of many players subscribing throughout the community since the option was released in 1.3, and essentially replace it with a feature that doesn't really build as part of the community and maybe lead to the loss of subscribers? Why can't the two features coincide?

General Example: Around 500 players have signed this petition to request that you do not remove ranked 8v8 warzones from the game.

Personal Example: Since 2.0 my Republic guild, Coral, on Tomb of Freedon Nadd, has faced 34 different guilds. That's just ONE Guild alone on ONE server. According to this thread only 20 guilds across a multitude of servers have attempted end game pve progression since 2.0 (linky spreadsheet).

So why remove a feature of the game that is used much more often by the community when it seems to be the biggest return in terms of subscribers?

And before any of the Marauders here get on their high horse and say "Omg this is a Marauder Class Representative Question/Discussion Thread, g.t.f.o with that question we don't want it" then let me ask you this: If, and when because it's going to happen as of right now, BW remove 8v8 ranked warzones from the game, and us poor marauders are left with 4v4 arenas, as it stands right now we are ridiculously overpowered thanks to the burst and sustained damage that is Rage spec soon everyone will be rolling a Marauder or 3 and an Operative healer in arena: once this happens, and it will, Bw will be forced to nerf us, call it balance, and leave us with nothing to show for it. How would that make you feel?

I feel this question should be directed to the developers for the simple fact that there is really NOTHING wrong with Marauders in terms of pve/pvp - sure you can argue that blah blah Carnage burst > Annihilation sustained and Rage > all, but it's all semantics, you cannot deny that an entire community of subscribers are about to be alienated, willing or not, and will be forced to make a choice - should I stay as a subscriber, or should I go elsewhere, and leave BW in the dust?

the problems that have been around with annihilation are age old by now, Combat got tweaked and i actually really like it, but its survivability is crap compared to smash, it requires burst setups that aren't as consistent as smash and smash have great consistent dmg and rediculous aoe burst.

The truth is that it doesn't take more than an hours work to get into the mechanics of the marauder and realize some of the fundemental issues with the balancing in PVP, and that I'm rather sure bioware is aware of this. If not, I laugh at you, game devs. (just kidding, i know you know what's up)

This is why I think there is room for a PVP community question not directly related to marauders, but to all classes.

Edited by Gorgzen

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to support your intentions for one of your questions that you talked about in Snave's recent video (biowares reality check).

Your other questions I'm sure will be very good but I am personally more interested in the pvp side of things. Smash too powerful, annihilation too useless, and carnage too shutdownable/proc dependant. I am sure you'll present/ask the most apt questions.

Gudarzz, I'd like to have a question raised with the devs that affects not only Marauders but the entire pvp community: why the hell would you want to remove a feature of the game that has been the foundation of many players subscribing throughout the community since the option was released in 1.3, and essentially replace it with a feature that doesn't really build as part of the community and maybe lead to the loss of subscribers? Why can't the two features coincide?

General Example: Around 500 players have signed this petition to request that you do not remove ranked 8v8 warzones from the game.

Personal Example: Since 2.0 my Republic guild, Coral, on Tomb of Freedon Nadd, has faced 34 different guilds. That's just ONE Guild alone on ONE server. According to this thread only 20 guilds across a multitude of servers have attempted end game pve progression since 2.0 (linky spreadsheet).

So why remove a feature of the game that is used much more often by the community when it seems to be the biggest return in terms of subscribers?

And before any of the Marauders here get on their high horse and say "Omg this is a Marauder Class Representative Question/Discussion Thread, g.t.f.o with that question we don't want it" then let me ask you this: If, and when because it's going to happen as of right now, BW remove 8v8 ranked warzones from the game, and us poor marauders are left with 4v4 arenas, as it stands right now we are ridiculously overpowered thanks to the burst and sustained damage that is Rage spec soon everyone will be rolling a Marauder or 3 and an Operative healer in arena: once this happens, and it will, Bw will be forced to nerf us, call it balance, and leave us with nothing to show for it. How would that make you feel?

I feel this question should be directed to the developers for the simple fact that there is really NOTHING wrong with Marauders in terms of pve/pvp - sure you can argue that blah blah Carnage burst > Annihilation sustained and Rage > all, but it's all semantics, you cannot deny that an entire community of subscribers are about to be alienated, willing or not, and will be forced to make a choice - should I stay as a subscriber, or should I go elsewhere, and leave BW in the dust?

This.

+1

Oh also, ask them to delete rage ?

+1

askit

So rather than deal with the specific issues facing our class, we should waste our questions to try and better the community as a whole? Why not get the Snipers to do this instead since unlike Marauders who still have issues to present, are perfectly fine (as is evidenced by the fact that the last questions all were effectively answered with "We disagree")? Frankly, I PvP on my Marauder for poops and giggles only but there are bigger issue even in PvP (I do NOT support making Annihilation more PvP viable though) for example the fact that the burst from Carnage can be completely shut down by any half-awake player who simply waits for the Gore Buff and stuns/KBs. All of that single-target pressure, the whole point of the Carnage spec in PvP, is gone in 4.5 seconds of wasted time. THAT is what is making Marauders 1-sided in Ranked PvP since running a Carnage Marauder is near worthless save for the Predation buff offered given that the burst they can put out can be shut out nearly without exception. Yet so many of you see this as your own personal soapbox to stand upon and say "We should do this for the community!" How many in the community really want it though? Put it to a vote if you are so damned convinced. In my opinion the idea of mentioning ANYTHING other than the AC asking the question (save for reference) for any class other than Snipers is a HUGE waste since they all need some work even if it is small QoL buffs. Absolute fluff.

So rather than deal with the specific issues facing our class, we should waste our questions to try and better the community as a whole? Why not get the Snipers to do this instead since unlike Marauders who still have issues to present, are perfectly fine (as is evidenced by the fact that the last questions all were effectively answered with "We disagree")? Frankly, I PvP on my Marauder for poops and giggles only but there are bigger issue even in PvP (I do NOT support making Annihilation more PvP viable though) for example the fact that the burst from Carnage can be completely shut down by any half-awake player who simply waits for the Gore Buff and stuns/KBs. All of that single-target pressure, the whole point of the Carnage spec in PvP, is gone in 4.5 seconds of wasted time. THAT is what is making Marauders 1-sided in Ranked PvP since running a Carnage Marauder is near worthless save for the Predation buff offered given that the burst they can put out can be shut out nearly without exception. Yet so many of you see this as your own personal soapbox to stand upon and say "We should do this for the community!" How many in the community really want it though? Put it to a vote if you are so damned convinced. In my opinion the idea of mentioning ANYTHING other than the AC asking the question (save for reference) for any class other than Snipers is a HUGE waste since they all need some work even if it is small QoL buffs. Absolute fluff.

What is actually pissing me off more is that they already decided (with Guardzz) to ask the question with no regard to the rest. And they are bringing in people from the PvP forums to flood this thread with support to that idea (check this).

Edited by znihilist

What is actually pissing me off more is that they already decided (with Guardzz) to ask the question with no regard to the rest. And they are bringing in people from the PvP forums to flood this thread with support to that idea (check this).

Wow. *********** WOW. I knew he would be a bad rep which is why I voted for oofalong who at least cares about the AC and not just PvP. What a pathetic waste. Guess it really doesn't matter what the ACTUAL MARAUDERS want, just what the PvPers want. Pathetic.

I support Daystarr.

Prior to this post you, like every other person who has supported that bull s h i t, has 0 posts in the Marauder or Sentinel Forums or anything specific to PvE. Only ONE of the people who supported it has any significant number of posts that aren't related to PvP: ACMessiah. That's proof this is not a "Marauder/Sentinel Issue" but a PvP one. Pathetic.

100% wrong, the question indeed should go to pvp and marauders are in a good place to ask for it as you guys have 2 optimal specs. As for carnage, it can not easily be shut down, especially if you know how to melee dps. By this i don't mean how much damage you can do, but how you move to escape being in front of the player. Marauders and snipers need these questions the least and thats why most marauders support asking this question. If you told a sorc, powertech, or merc this it would just be silly. Same can be said for other classes like juggs and sins who only have 1 spec that is ideal.

100% wrong, the question indeed should go to pvp and marauders are in a good place to ask for it as you guys have 2 optimal specs. As for carnage, it can not easily be shut down, especially if you know how to melee dps. By this i don't mean how much damage you can do, but how you move to escape being in front of the player. Marauders and snipers need these questions the least and thats why most marauders support asking this question. If you told a sorc, powertech, or merc this it would just be silly. Same can be said for other classes like juggs and sins who only have 1 spec that is ideal.

You know, save for where I proves that the people supporting this AREN'T Marauders. Yourself included. Why should a Sorcerers opinion matter for Marauders. Oh and 1 viable spec for Sorcs? That's hilarious. For PvE Corruption, Lightning, Madness, and Madness Hybrid are all viable. For PvP Corruption and Lightning are massively viable with Madness' only issue being regen since there is a need to clip FL. Lastly, saying that the only thing you need to for Carnage to work is get behind the target is downright HILARIOUS. That completely ignores Snipers and Mercs who can knockback (in the case of snipers that includes a root) from any direction, or how easy it is to pivot>knockback or stun, and pretty much every other mechanic in the game. You sir are a pathetic QvQer. You are what is wrong. You have 0 posts in ANY thread regarding Marauder mechanics before this, in fact every one of your previous posts is either superfluous or QvQ related. Go away you silly fool.

You know, save for where I proves that the people supporting this AREN'T Marauders. Yourself included. Why should a Sorcerers opinion matter for Marauders. Oh and 1 viable spec for Sorcs? That's hilarious. For PvE Corruption, Lightning, Madness, and Madness Hybrid are all viable. For PvP Corruption and Lightning are massively viable with Madness' only issue being regen since there is a need to clip FL. Lastly, saying that the only thing you need to for Carnage to work is get behind the target is downright HILARIOUS. That completely ignores Snipers and Mercs who can knockback (in the case of snipers that includes a root) from any direction, or how easy it is to pivot>knockback or stun, and pretty much every other mechanic in the game. You sir are a pathetic QvQer. You are what is wrong. You have 0 posts in ANY thread regarding Marauder mechanics before this, in fact every one of your previous posts is either superfluous or QvQ related. Go away you silly fool.

Lol you can't just wave away the voices in this thread because people haven't updated their signatures to show they have a Marauder, you don't know what they're playing and the majority of people so far since I voiced my concern has agreed with me save for a few.

Everyone and their grandma know that Marauders are fine - sure Annihilation COULD have a little bit more burst, and Carnage COULD use a little more sustained and these questions could be asked for the first two question slots we have available, but you'd be incredibly selfish, in my opinion, to just disregard an entire community (and not only from my server, but collectively over the entire game) who are really only playing this game for 8v8 objective based ranked warzones.

I've been playing the pts exclusively since 2.4 was released as Carnage in a 4man ranked team, and I can safely say that Carnage is not as easily shut down as you seem to think it is. You laugh at Sean's point about positioning but this is probably one of the most important factors to consider while pvping.

Also a Merc's and Sniper's knockback have a long cooldown in relative terms, and once that cooldown has been burned a LOT of damage can be dished out on the target before the knockback is available again - 15 seconds in pvp is a very long time, especially as a Carnage Marauder with Berserk popped.

Personally I would say we should not ask about the removal of ranked UNLESS we have no other questions that anyone in the marauder / sentinel community can think of. This is the marauder questions so I do believe that we and we alone have the final say in what question(s) we ask (Other classes have no right to tell us to ask that question). If we have no other questions then by all means, let's ask one to benefit the community. Again this is based off of what the marauders and sentinels want. I am rather disappointed that Gudarzz did not even ask the marauders if they were ok with this seeing as it is OUR questions, not his and not the swtor community's. That's not what the representative is meant to do and it would be an abuse of power to ask a question that the marauder and sentinel community does not want.

So if any other MARAUDERS or SENTINELS have any other suggestions for questions then let's hear them. If not then we can decide if we want to ask a question for the community as a whole.

Everyone and their grandma know that Marauders are fine - sure Annihilation COULD have a little bit more burst, and Carnage COULD use a little more sustained and these questions could be asked for the first two question slots we have available, but you'd be incredibly selfish, in my opinion, to just disregard an entire community (and not only from my server, but collectively over the entire game) who are really only playing this game for 8v8 objective based ranked warzones.

I may not totally agree with my friend above, but your decision to "suddenly" invite people who "never" participated in the marauder discussion thread before just after a specific invite was made on the PvP forums is the selfish part. This is not the place to confront the DEVs about your problem.Your decision to suddenly invoke a previously none-existent and none-caring community (where were they for the last month ??) when you saw something you didn't like is a new low.

I can't take you or these people seriously where the main argument used is emotional and when they only decided to show up "conveniently" to support some petition.

I already told your friend, this is not the time and place to confront the DEVs, this will only backfire and the best case scenario you will get this as an answer:

"We looked into it and we saw the best decision was to leave 8v8 behind and move forward to 4v4 where we can better allocate our resources at this moment."

I am not known to ever insult someone online (and I apologize for the next sentence), but you would be a fool if you expect anything other than "We already answered that question" or the one I gave you two sentences earlier. The matter of the fact is that BW this will only look at this like it is a crusade from some angry PvP'ers, specially since now it looks like the representative have already "decided" on a question before the community has voted (although we sort of already have 3 ideas in the line up).

Again I am not against your petition, but you have to really think about the ramification of this thing you are trying to do here.

Peace out, and I really hope they bring 8v8 back!

Edited by znihilist

Dude get out of this thread hijacker. Learn how to contact people directly. Who cares if rage gets nerfed, rage is not why most of us rolled a marauder.(besides the bandwagoners)

A rage nerf would be great for this class. Rage nerf would bring the other melee dps specs closer to being optimal if not making them optimal for arenas.(Rage is the most boring melee dps spec in the game and the only one that I do not love to play)

Edited by MarkXXIV

Lol you can't just wave away the voices in this thread because people haven't updated their signatures to show they have a Marauder, you don't know what they're playing and the majority of people so far since I voiced my concern has agreed with me save for a few.

I've been playing the pts exclusively since 2.4 was released as Carnage in a 4man ranked team, and I can safely say that Carnage is not as easily shut down as you seem to think it is. You laugh at Sean's point about positioning but this is probably one of the most important factors to consider while pvping.

Also a Merc's and Sniper's knockback have a long cooldown in relative terms, and once that cooldown has been burned a LOT of damage can be dished out on the target before the knockback is available again - 15 seconds in pvp is a very long time, especially as a Carnage Marauder with Berserk popped.

Thanks for helping prove a point Daystarr. To those saying marauders have problems, from what I've seen more ranked teams incorporate 2 marauders than those that use 2 op heals, and everyone is always complaining about them being op. I really don't think marauders are op, all i'm saying is marauders are in a better place than almost every other class, and throwing snipers under the bus and saying that carnage is bad is a joke. I don't have a high level mara, but i play with and duel my bro who does. His gear is so-so, some partisan, mostly conqueror nothing min/max for some new purple augs some old, and he can put up upwards of 1200 damage per second in higher damage games. He still has prob 300 more power and 300 more mainstat to go, but moving right is the difference between full ravage and a 2 hit ravage.

Everyone calm down... I'm back from some IRL stuff (important job interviews and family vacation). I am somewhat surprised by the number of "remove Gudarzz" posts that have been circulating. I don't need to apologize for my short absence (I had an interview for an awesome job and spent some rare vacation time with the family), especially when we still have over a month for the questions to be submitted. Also, I think it would be prudent to test out some arenas before we finalize some questions.

In regards to the removal of ranked arenas and the "custom" question: How many people paid for transfers just so they could escape dead servers and participate in ranked pvp? Now that the bulk of these initial transfers have been completed, don't you think that removing ranked pvp after so many people paid extra money for it is suspicious? This goes beyond balance issues...this is a gross example of corporate greed. If there isn't some form of restitution offered to those who essentially wasted their money for ranked warzones, I WILL ask the question so the developers know the community will not tolerate this form of greed. Bioware might as well release expansions and just remove content after people have already paid for it.

Also, to all those people QQing: "Oh Gudarzz is going to ask about ranked pvp without the consent of the community. Remove him!". Where do you think I got the idea from? The community. Snave interviewed 10-20 high caliber players from all around the world...and they all agreed with me. This already outnumbers the posts arguing against my custom question. Don't assume the forums represent the entire community...if the forums were any indication of the actual community, we would have had votes numbering in the tens of thousands (instead of the hundreds).

Now that I'm back, I will release some sample questions soon.

Edited by Gudarzz
Comments

I have defended (multiple times) when people wanted you gone because you were away for few days (silly I know!), I did not endorse your removal for this new particular issue (the ranked questions) even though I am against it.

But this Is overstepping your positions:

I WILL

And I can't accept you "deciding" for us what to ask.

However, your anger toward the whole 8v8 ranked is understandable and I do sympathize with all the emotions resulting from all of this. But hijacking the class representative questions is not the smartest idea and you would be naive if you think you would gain anything out of it (not you in particular). All of your posts so far (except the one I am quoting) has indicated to me that you are a smart person. Now you tell me, is this fair what you are attempting to achieve here ? Is this really wise ? Is it smart ?

I can't really do anything to stop you from proceeding with whatever you are planning on doing, in effect the only thing I can do is remove myself from the discussion entirely (no big loss I know) if you are going ahead with it.

Edit: Words.

Edited by znihilist

First off let me say welcome home Gudarzz. I hope everything went well and you had a great vacation :)

Moving on now...

I have defended (multiple times) when people wanted you gone because you were away for few days (silly I know!), I did not endorse your removal for this new particular issue (the ranked questions) even though I am against it.

However, your anger toward the whole 8v8 ranked is understandable and I do sympathize with all the emotions resulting from all of this. But hijacking the class representative questions is not the smartest idea and you would be naive if you think you would gain anything out of it (not you in particular). All of your posts so far (except the one I am quoting) has indicated to me that you are a smart person. Now you tell me, is this fair what you are attempting to achieve here ? Is this really wise ? Is it smart ?

I can't really do anything to stop you from proceeding with whatever you are planning on doing, in effect the only thing I can do is remove myself from the discussion entirely (no big loss I know) if you are going ahead with it.

This.

On a side note, these questions are give to the combat team, not to all of the devs who work on the game. Would asking a question about the removal of ranked even be relevant to the combat team (yes I know there is combat in ranked, but was it their decision to remove ranked pvp from the game or someone else's)? If it was someone else's decision then asking the combat team this question wouldn't even be a relevant question. You may as well ask the combat team what they had for breakfast that morning because that would be just as good a question to them. Also as posted in another thread I believe, they will probably just say the same things they have said before so again this would be an unwise and wasted question.

Also, to all those people QQing: "Oh Gudarzz is going to ask about ranked pvp without the consent of the community. Remove him!". Where do you think I got the idea from? The community. Snave interviewed 10-20 high caliber players from all around the world...and they all agreed with me. This already outnumbers the posts arguing against my custom question. Don't assume the forums represent the entire community...if the forums were any indication of the actual community, we would have had votes numbering in the tens of thousands (instead of the hundreds).

Now that I'm back, I will release some sample questions soon.

As for this part, the entire community is not meant to try to ask the questions for the marauders. The MARAUDERS are meant to ask questions for the marauders. 10 - 20 community members, no matter how "high caliber" they are, do not represent the marauders. Only the marauders should have input as to what questions they want asked about their class. Now if the marauders are fine with you asking the question that you want then by all means, ask the question. If they are not, then it should not be asked (which in this case it would seems that quite a few do not want you to ask the question).

I must admit I was extremely turned off by the negativity directed towards my absence due to IRL commitments. I am not getting paid to do this and some people feel it is better to be disruptive (by calling for a new rep, revote, etc) instead of just posing questions/ideas.I probably should not have used "I WILL" (sounds like too much like a dictatorship). However, I will promote the question as much as I can if Bioware doesn't address it...ranked warzones are a staple of this game and a great number of our representatives are from the ranked scene. I honestly feel like this decision by Bioware (whether intended or not) rips off a lot of players who paid for transfers specifically to promote ranked PVP. KBN was able to switch his carnage RNG question to the question about Fury building during predation/berserk/bloodthirst. He had support for his question change. I already have support for mine.

Plus, there is a larger underlying issue here: Is Bioware justified in removing content after people have already paid for it? If Bioware decided to remove nightmare PVE progression or removed certain operations because they were "unpopular" to the masses, wouldn't this be equally as controversial? If the community speaks up about the ranked controversy, which it has been, I will present the question.

I have created a new thread for sample questions. Please follow the link:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6673161#post6673161

Please submit any modifications or question ideas there.

The remainder of this thread can be used to criticize my short absence (due IRL commitments), submit petitions to replace me, or post any other general hate messages. :)

Without debating the legitimacy of the removal of Ranked 8v8 Warzones as a Marauder question, I believe it will be a moot point for us. Simply, I am confident BioWare is already aware of the outrage. They will either respond to it before the Marauder questions are asked, or they won't. If they do not respond I feel confident in saying no Class Rep will be able to garner an official response from them.

As someone who's mained sentinel since launch, I'm certainly willing to make a small sacrifice by using one of our questions to adresss BW's terrible decision to remove 8v8 ranked. You PvE sent/maras are relatively spoiled (2 new ops in the upcoming major "PvP" patch), so stop complaining and take one for the team.

I think (know) you're jumping the gun on trying to get questions cemented right now. Wait a few weeks, 2 weeks out should be when the questions should be debated.

Also, 8v8 question is a waste. They would have responded by now if they cared to or knew how to address the concerns/outrage. They're removing 8v8 ranked. We have to just deal with it.

(And I'd expect a BW level response of "This is not a Mara question" answer or denial of submitting the question too)