The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars:Rebels news and time to let go of EU Lore!

Ashenti

I just finished a phone call with a friend of mine who was damn lucky enough to go to the Star Wars Celebration. (I guess it helps that he only lives 5 miles from it!)

He gave me news on some stuff that Dave Filoni announced during a presentation Q/A session concerning the new animated series Star Wars:Rebels.

The new Logo and some concept art were shown. (i.m guessing these will probably hit the net very soon, if not already)

Logo is plain. Pictures showed Tie Fighters and also ships similar, but not exactly alike, to X-wings.

Stormtroopers and droids were seen which looked remarkably like the original Ralph McQuarrie concept art from pre-Ep IV.

In Q/A Filoni answered several general questions but didn't give too much away (my friend said he found it difficult to hear the first half as a couple next to him were having a heated argument over who's phone was best to video it on!)

Main thing that stood out though was Filoni's answer when asked about tie-ins of Clone Wars/Rebels stories/tie-ins with the upcoming new movies.

Filoni stressed that he knew little about the new movies, but, had been told that nothing in the Clone Wars series, or anything else (besides the 6 original movies) created before the Disney take over is considered canon and there will probably be some big discrepancies between what we have read in the expanded universe and what happens going forward.

Filoni said that all ideas/concepts for Rebels have to be passed by a Disney team to ensure it fits with their vision for the movies.

Seems everyone is going to have to completely re-define their views on SW Lore/Canon over the next few years.

Edited by Ashenti

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We already knew Post-ROTJ had a 0.01% chance of surviving, the only question was if the pre-TPM stuff was surviving.

Indeed.

There is no way that the clone wars is non-canon.

Your friend must have misheard, because Filoni said some things not finished in the clone wars could finish in a Movie.

Are you *********** kidding me?....So the EU that took place between the movies which...you know EXPANDED on the movie characters and so forth, is all gonna be reduced to **** and the only things that matter are the 6 movies in which we get bare boned characters without any sort of EU to flesh them out among other things that were explained? Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Are you *********** kidding me?....So the EU that took place between the movies which...you know EXPANDED on the movie characters and so forth, is all gonna be reduced to **** and the only things that matter are the 6 movies in which we get bare boned characters without any sort of EU to flesh them out among other things that were explained?

Honostly until something contradicts from a movie they produce going to treat the EU as cannon and when they do bring something that contradicts EU will be an elseworld story.... which will kind of suck.

Indeed.

There is no way that the clone wars is non-canon.

Your friend must have misheard, because Filoni said some things not finished in the clone wars could finish in a Movie.

Just read a transcript of the Q/A session.

What Filoni actually said was that there is a possibility of them creating an Animated Clone wars TV movie out of the ready made material and some new stuff and this could round out the stories. But he also says this was only an out-side possibility

Just read a transcript of the Q/A session.

What Filoni actually said was that there is a possibility of them creating an Animated Clone wars TV movie out of the ready made material and some new stuff and this could round out the stories. But he also says this was only an out-side possibility

Either way, shows theyre treating it as canon.

Can you link the transcript so i can see if that non-canon thing is true?

We already knew Post-ROTJ had a 0.01% chance of surviving, the only question was if the pre-TPM stuff was surviving.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surpirsed if pre-TPM stuff was retconned so they could make movies in that era too.

How is anyone surprised. This is not just Disney's doing either. Uncle George long ago on multiple occasions said that the movies and The Clone Wars were lore, that's it.

Anyone surprised and shocked by this has been fooling themselves into thinking that a reversal on the concept was coming.

How is anyone surprised. This is not just Disney's doing either. Uncle George long ago on multiple occasions said that the movies and The Clone Wars were lore, that's it.

Anyone surprised and shocked by this has been fooling themselves into thinking that a reversal on the concept was coming.

Again, Wrong.

Canon/Lore is a tiered System, with TCW and the Movies being the highest.

What im most confused about was how apparently TCW isn't canon.

Again, Wrong.

Sorry, I missed what Filoni had said this morning regarding the Clone Wars. Regardless, we have always been put under the notion that if something wasn't in the movies then it was subject to be changed or completely disregarded.

Again, Wrong.

I'm on my phone at the moment, will post a link to the full transcript when I get home.

I really feel we all need to let go of all or our conceptions around canon/lore with regards to the new movies.

Disney are going to make the movies with one thing at the top of their concerns, getting as many people to see it and become interested in the merchandising as possible.

We have to remember that only a small percentage of the target audience will have seen the originals at the cinema and an even smaller percentage will have seen the original trilogy on their original release.

Also, only a very small percentage of the target audience will have any interest in the expanded universe. They will be interested in seeing Star Wars as a movie experience. Disney will be producing the movies to meet the needs of these people.

If an idea from the EU works for the Disney vision, then we may see it, but I won't be expecting it.

The makers of the new films have no interest in holding to the ideas that current Star Wars fans hold to.

I for one have already decided to forget everything I know about Star Wars, outside of that portrayed in the 6 movies, when viewing the new ones. I really believe that taking this approach will greatly enhance the chance of me enjoying them.

Expecting them to follow the ideas set forth in the novels, in the cartoons, in the role-playing games or in TOR itself can only lead to disappointment.

Edited by Ashenti

Again, Wrong.

The tier system only applied to the EU really. According to george it was only the movies(and tcw). Everything else was non existent.

Edited by Girdeux

The tier system only applied to the EU really. According to george it was only the movies(and tcw). Everything else was non existent.

No, it was just the films then the films + EU, the Clone Wars film isn't even considered G-canon, just a T-canon film.

No, it was just the films then the films + EU, the Clone Wars film isn't even considered G-canon, just a T-canon film.

i meant the tv series apparently being in the same universe as the film continuity.

Edited by Girdeux

....:confused: What exactly is the hulabaloo about? Everyone knew that the post-ROTJ was as good as dead. But why is everyone flapping about the Clone Wars and pre-The Phantom Menace??! I mean what? When did the OP say anything about that? What possible effect could the new movies have on those eras?

Am I missing something?

Main thing that stood out though was Filoni's answer when asked about tie-ins of Clone Wars/Rebels stories/tie-ins with the upcoming new movies.

Filoni stressed that he knew little about the new movies, but, had been told that nothing in the Clone Wars series, or anything else (besides the 6 original movies) created before the Disney take over is considered canon

That's whats confusing us Beni...

That's whats confusing us Beni...
Oh, I somehow misread that. The OP is really difficult to read... :o

I can't imagine why Disney would need to render everything other than the movies non-canon (effectively creating an alternate universe) because pre-OT EU should have no effect or place any restraints on the new movies at all.

Why? Because pre-OT EU has all been carefully constructed to be coherent with the ensuing movies. There are no discrepancies. So simply by removing the post-ROTJ Disney have a completely blank slate.

So my response to this is *shrug* do what you like. There is no possible way that Disney can override existing canon (other than the post-ROTJ) through the new movies. Just like the past is the past and can't be changed.

I expect our 'source' has misinterpreted however as 1. this makes little logical sense and 2. nowhere has it been reported. I guess we'll just wait for an official announcement.

I'm on my phone at the moment, will post a link to the full transcript when I get home.

I really feel we all need to let go of all or our conceptions around canon/lore with regards to the new movies.

Disney are going to make the movies with one thing at the top of their concerns, getting as many people to see it and become interested in the merchandising as possible.

We have to remember that only a small percentage of the target audience will have seen the originals at the cinema and an even smaller percentage will have seen the original trilogy on their original release.

Also, only a very small percentage of the target audience will have any interest in the expanded universe. They will be interested in seeing Star Wars as a movie experience. Disney will be producing the movies to meet the needs of these people.

If an idea from the EU works for the Disney vision, then we may see it, but I won't be expecting it.

The makers of the new films have no interest in holding to the ideas that current Star Wars fans hold to.

I for one have already decided to forget everything I know about Star Wars, outside of that portrayed in the 6 movies, when viewing the new ones. I really believe that taking this approach will greatly enhance the chance of me enjoying them.

Expecting them to follow the ideas set forth in the novels, in the cartoons, in the role-playing games or in TOR itself can only lead to disappointment.

But what impact would anything other than the post-ROTJ have on the movies?

And what about Rebels? Is that non-canon? Why would that be canon and everything else not be?

I think what Filoni is saying here is that the entirety of the EU is in limbo, and subject to change. It no longer has a solid foundation anymore. But that doesn't mean its non-canon and gone for good.

Are you *********** kidding me?....So the EU that took place between the movies which...you know EXPANDED on the movie characters and so forth, is all gonna be reduced to **** and the only things that matter are the 6 movies in which we get bare boned characters without any sort of EU to flesh them out among other things that were explained?

Now you know my pain of how they went roughshod over the Clone wars characters, shunted aside characters like Waylon Vau, or Kal Skirrata[who in the republic commando game get mentioned greately], or completely wrecked character backrounds like Bariss Offeee.

Yeah welcome to my hell.

Now you know my pain of how they went roughshod over the Clone wars characters, shunted aside characters like Waylon Vau, or Kal Skirrata[who in the republic commando game get mentioned greately], or completely wrecked character backrounds like Bariss Offeee.

Yeah welcome to my hell.

Yes but this isn't just changing bios around, this is effectively just outright removing good EU characters. Unless of course they somehow appear at a later date, so far we lost...

1. Xizor

2. Dash Rendar

3. Kyle Katarn

4. Thrawn

5. Kir Kanos

6-whatever number: Every other character post/pre-ROTJ that didn't appear in the 6 movies.

So unless authors are allowed to write of those characters again, and the EU is still gonna be around....they are gone. I hope Disney isn't that stupid, to have no EU.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi