Power or <main stat> ?

Tachenko_Yuri

In equal value, always main stat as it does far more than power for your character.

It's not equal value. Power gives more points towards dps or heal than the main stat. The main stat does add a little to critical as well though, but since crit isn't that good anymore power is better.

I did a calculation on it and you need to get over 900 crit rating before it becomes more interesting to stack main stat than power. And nobody should get near 900 crit rating...ever.

So I stack power mods exclusively in my gear and enhancements are a mix of power, surge and alacrity as I'm a healer and maybe one or two crit.

What's annoying is how the earpieces and implants are done because they focus around main stats. Generally though when they have high main stats you lose a lot of secondary stats. So there it's better to use the ones that have at least power added and then something else, depending on what you need.

My tank only gets power from augments, but that goes without saying.

ok there's a few folks that say that my question depends on my class.

Well, the Toon i'm talking of is a sith sorcerer going heal-spec. :)

Get whatever is cheaper....

I think we can all agree with that one...

But on a serious note, your heals are more bursty with the use of power augs, Recklessness, and 3% force crit tree skill. Unless you are talking about Raid bosses, the crit advantage will not pan out in the majority of encounters in this game.

Mainstat is better if you want crit.

If you don't want crit power is better.

Crit gives you a small amount of crit plus almost the same amount of power, so with the extra crit you can stack less crit and more power in your main gear.

If you don't want any crit then you likely want to focus on power instead of mainstat.

Some calculations have been done by people smarter than me but stacking one or the other is largely negligible if you are happy with your crit rating. Power slightly edges out main stat in the long haul (and I mean long haul) but its barely a difference. If you aren't happy with your crit rating keep stacking main stat.

To make things simple I just stack my main stat. If I see a cheap power aug I might buy it but typically speaking you are talking barely a difference between the two.

Edited by Arkerus

While thats true, there is an additional factor I forgot to mention. Buffs.

The two buffs that matter are the Sorc/Sage buff and the Warrior/Knight buff.

Take your 14 aug slot example again:

448 Power x 0.23 = 103.04

Warrior/Knight buffs bonus damage by 5%

103.04 x 1.05 = 108.2 Bonus Damage

Now take mainstat. Add the 9% buff from the tree, and the 5% sorc/sage buff for a 14% increase.

448 Main Stat x 1.14 = 510.72

510.72 x 0.2 = 102.14 bonus damage x 5% from Warrior/Knight buff

= 107.25 Bonus damage

So its really a loss of 1 bonus damage. Now how much crit does 510.72 mainstat give?

1 Mainstat = 0.0028% crit

510.72 x 0.0028 = 1.43% crit

So in conclusion.

With a 9% Mainstat buff in tree and full raid buffs:

14 power augs gives you 108.2 bonus damage.

14 main stat augs gives you 107.25 bonus damage and 1.4% crit.

This is the only post that matters. Quoting for truth.

This is the only post that matters. Quoting for truth.

Its not really comparing apples to apple's though.... He adds a second buff to the calc on main.

A better analysis is to have two identical gear sets with all the same buff/spec and see where your bonus damage is with the two different augments... Power will win...

Ask Robot says

Resolve

BD:1088

Crit 30%

Overkill

BD: 1092

Crit 28%

Everyone keeps mentioning "autocrit". What in this? Can you explain in examples and detail?

Thanks!

Certain skill trees talents or class based skill enables certain or all attacks/heals to be an automatic critical hit. As it relates to this disco, if those things are present having more main stat for crit purposes is moot...

In the Rage/Focus tree for Warrior/Knights, there is a talent that enables Smash/Sweep to autocrit.

Marksman Snipers have autocrit on Snipe.

Etc, etc.

Edited by L-RANDLE

Its not really comparing apples to apple's though.... He adds a second buff to the calc on main.

A better analysis is to have two identical gear sets with all the same buff/spec and see where your bonus damage is with the two different augments... Power will win...

Ask Robot says

Resolve

Crit 30%

Overkill

Crit 28%

You bean the extra buff that you should always have and therefore should take into account?

I'd take 2% crit over 5 bonus damage every time.

However it should be noted, that this is a bit different for healers.

For DPS it's .20 vs .23. For heals it's .14 vs .17. The .03 difference is a more substantial percentage difference for bonus heals, and thus power is a bit more comparatively strong. However merc and operative heals both have 9% mainstay talent I believe, and both classes have surge boosts on heals making crit a bit stronger. Sorc has 6% mainstatand bubbles cannot crit.

Ask Robot says

Resolve

Crit 30%

Overkill

Crit 28%

the reason is because class buffs give you 5% more to stats. That means you get 5% more to your stats received from augments.

Just augments gets you +448 mainstat

with 5% class buff gets +470.4 mainstat

with 9% skill tree buff +488.32 mainstat

with both buffs +510 mainstat

So stacking mainstat over power yields 74 more to mainstat than power.

power = .23x448=103 bonus dmg

mainstat = .2 x510 = 102 bonus dmg with 1.4% difference in crit chance.

if you convert that 1.4 extra crit to dmg assuming 60% surge, thats an extra bonus dmg og 240.24 over 100 attacks or 144.76 extra bonus dmg every 100 attacks stacking mainstat with 9% skill tree buff.

so that means

bonus dmg of 1.4476

Finally

Power = 103 dps

mainstat = 104.5 dps

Certain skill trees talents or class based skill enables certain or all attacks/heals to be an automatic critical hit. As it relates to this disco, if those things are present having more main stat for crit purposes is moot...

In the Rage/Focus tree for Warrior/Knights, there is a talent that enables Smash/Sweep to autocrit.

Marksman Snipers have autocrit on Snipe.

Etc, etc.

Sweep/smash is still only like 25% of total damage. (Though weighted heavier for PvP as it's the big burst)

Autocrit every couple minute abilities, such as laze target and recklessness are not really statistically significant.

the reason is because class buffs give you 5% more to stats. That means you get 5% more to your stats received from augments.

Just augments gets you +448 mainstat

with 5% class buff gets +470.4 mainstat

with 9% skill tree buff +488.32 mainstat

with both buffs +510 mainstat

So stacking mainstat over power yields 74 more to mainstat than power.

power = .23x448=103 bonus dmg

mainstat = .2 x510 = 102 bonus dmg with 1.4% difference in crit chance.

if you convert that 1.4 extra crit to dmg assuming 60% surge, thats an extra bonus dmg og 240.24 over 100 attacks or 144.76 extra bonus dmg every 100 attacks stacking mainstat with 9% skill tree buff.

so that means

bonus dmg of 1.4476

Finally

Power = 103 dps

mainstat = 104.5 dps

I like the cut of your jib, good sir.

You bean the extra buff that you should always have and therefore should take into account?

I'd take 2% crit over 5 bonus damage every time.

However it should be noted, that this is a bit different for healers.

For DPS it's .20 vs .23. For heals it's .14 vs .17. The .03 difference is a more substantial percentage difference for bonus heals, and thus power is a bit more comparatively strong. However merc and operative heals both have 9% mainstay talent I believe, and both classes have surge boosts on heals making crit a bit stronger. Sorc has 6% mainstatand bubbles cannot crit.

Last time I ran SimC, it took 100,000 attacks for the crit percentage to pan out for the Sorc/Sage. Having Force Potency/Recklessness is a huge outlier.

So for most situations in this game 5BD is a actually "better" than 2% crit.

main stat for every class except sentinel and shadows, no question about it.

actually there are questions about it...it's whatever you prefer and as a healer I prefer power over main stat on both my scoundrel and my sage. More Heal burst. However the stat difference is so slight you could go either way. One is not necessarily better than the other.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.