SWG vs SWTOR

Ayelinna

The point of the game is to have fun, that is 100% correct. That is why I say that SWG would not be popular today. The masses want a hand-held guided tour through their grind with painted paths and plenty of signs along the way to keep them from having to do any guess work.

See, again you seem like you are sneering at the "hand-helds" by saying they like to have their hands held, as if that somehow makes them unsophisticated or childish. And as if that is an inherently inferior way to play MMOs. I suspect you have a strong streak of "Back in the days of real MMOs ..." in you.

That's the really odd thing about what SWG used to be. You could of rolled and spec'd into an entertainer and just spent most of your time in a cantina, being social... and getting XP for it.... and it was great!

Even as a combat profession I would spend hours if not days without moving from Mos Eisley's cantina before the NGE hit. Without full on raids I never felt like I had to be top level or spec to appreciate the game... which is something I cannot say about any other MMO I've played

What you are describing sounds more like Second Life, to me. Which is fine, if that's what you're into.

Edited by branmakmuffin

See, again you seem like you are sneering at the "hand-helds" by saying they like to have their hands held, as if that somehow makes them unsophisticated or childish. And as if that is an inherently inferior way to play MMOs. I suspect you have a strong streak of "Back in the days of real MMOs ..." in you.

If you feel like that is a personal attack on you, I am sorry that you feel that way. I personally believe that these themepark guided tours are a lesser way to play. But that is only speaking for me and it does not say anything about you as a person. You like your games guided and easy. I can deal with that. The majority of folks like it that way.

If it makes you feel any better, I am a mediocre gamer. I can PVE fairly well, but outside of Madden competition, I don't PVP worth a darn. "Harder" is not necessarily best for me. However, I dig "challenging" and "engaging". These walk in the park guided tours are neither.

If you feel like that is a personal attack on you, I am sorry that you feel that way.

Hardly. That's why I used the words "seem" and "suspect." I don't know for certain what your motivations are.

I personally believe that these themepark guided tours are a lesser way to play. But that is only speaking for me and it does not say anything about you as a person. You like your games guided and easy. I can deal with that. The majority of folks like it that way.

Well, now we're getting somewhere. I can certainly accept that it's your preference to play more sandboxy games.

If it makes you feel any better, I am a mediocre gamer. I can PVE fairly well, but outside of Madden competition, I don't PVP worth a darn. "Harder" is not necessarily best for me. However, I dig "challenging" and "engaging". These walk in the park guided tours are neither.

Just remember, one person's "challenge" is another's "bloody impossible."

I had a pre nge Jedi which when I started playing to unlock you had to master a random 27 of the 44 possible classes

The cool thing I thought was every class was useful for certain reasons an earlier poster said the entertainer class had no use where as if u listened to a musician or watched a dancer in the cantina for 10 min it gave u a 3 hour mind stat buff which if you were levelling was invaluable

Nge destroyed everything that was good about the game :(

Glad I sold my acct when I did quite easily doubled my 18 months worth of sub :)

I have.

Honestly, in my opinion SWTOR has the better ground based system. It's combat and story systems are way better.

But SWG's customization (character AND housing), and it's space systems were better.

If SWG was optimized for Win8 AND still in operation, I'd probably be subscribed to both.

In SWG a well played Jedi Knight could easily take out a group of players

In SWTOR a well played Jedi Knight may, with the help of his companion, take out 3 NPCs :p

In all seriousness at least I don't have to carry a house while leveling my Jedi in this game lol