Please make PvE actually PvE-only

ptwonline

I too support a better flagging system. The one that exists now is simply broken.

Here's the situation that continually happens to me, which not one single person has brought up: I'm a healer. I cannot do virtually any of the Gree group content without getting involuntarily flagged. I don't do the PVP quests, I'm not in the PVP area (all of which gets perpetually suggested by the genius trolls who love PVP). All I have to do is heal a flagged player, which is going to happen on the daily heroic, any world boss, or Xenoanalyst.

Then I go out and about my business, and I get ganked while fighting other mobs. Happens every day at the Gree event. I deal with it, sure. But why do I have to?

The only alternative to this is to return to the FLEET, yes the fleet, because regardless of what happens in YOUR game and what YOUR tooltip says, the only reliable way I have found to unflag is to return to the fleet and manually toggle it on and off, then stay logged in for the next five minutes. Doing anything else does not reliably work, and I've even had to submit tickets when it wouldn't unflag on the fleet either.

I would support, among other ideas:

• A 1-minute flag reset on any involuntary flags like this that actually worked; ie, if I'm not healing a flagged player or attacking a flagged player outside of a PVP area, then my flag resets.
  • The unflagging working the way it's supposed to, where if I go back to the base or any rest area for five minutes and leave it alone, it goes away. If you think it does currently work this way, you need to roll a healer and head to the Gree event, then come post about how well it's working.
  • Heals on flagged players from unflagged players have no effect. I would LOVE this. I'm sure the number of flagged players joining groups would drop off a cliff.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The unflagging working the way it's supposed to, where if I go back to the base or any rest area for five minutes and leave it alone, it goes away. If you think it does currently work this way, you need to roll a healer and head to the Gree event, then come post about how well it's working.

Uh, I play multiple healers -- and this has never been the case.

Last night, at least 3 times on 2 different toons, I was unflagged after ~5 minutes in the base where the Gree vendors are. Both toons were originally flagged through healing a flagged person.

Also -- isn't flagging handled different in OPs? I feel like I've never seen a flagged toon in an operation before. . . .

No one is asking to remove automatic flagging for going into enemy areas. Trespassing into enemy areas is a valid reason for being flagged, I think everyone will agree to that. People are asking to remove automatic flagging for accidentally hitting a flagged player with AoE or getting baiting into accidentally flagging themselves.
People in this thread have asked for a on off switch so that you are only flagged if it is on....to me that sound like you would not be flagged no matter what unless you had it on. Yes, I am for getting rid of the flag for AoE, still will not solve the problem, you would still be flagged for healing a flagged player or for a flagged player healing you, but yeah I am all for being able to use my healers best two attacks in areas with flagged players so I am for removing the AoE flag, I am against a cover all on off switch.

Uh, I play multiple healers -- and this has never been the case.

Last night, at least 3 times on 2 different toons, I was unflagged after ~5 minutes in the base where the Gree vendors are. Both toons were originally flagged through healing a flagged person.

Also -- isn't flagging handled different in OPs? I feel like I've never seen a flagged toon in an operation before. . . .

And for my part, I sat in the gree base for ten minutes, didn't get unflagged, and had to return to fleet as described. That you personally are not experiencing a bug does not mean the bug doesn't exist. I also play multiple healers--I have 9 55s and one of every healing class--and it's happened on every single one.

I'm tired of PvP-flagged people intentionally jumping in front of the quest objectives I am trying to use, accidentally attacking and getting flagged, and then having a bunch of PvP people kill me.

I'm on a PvE-server.

I don't want to PvP.

I have no intention of PvPing.

This kind of stupid thing is what is driving me away.

i totally agree with you. if rift can have in their mmo a mechanic which wont flag you from a flagged player running in your aoe, then they can do such in this game. you can not heal/buff a flagged player of your faction. you can not damage a flagged player of the opposing faction if you have the mechanic turned on. forced flagging doesn't happen. the only drawback is when flagged players got into your hm group you had to wait the 5 mins for them to unflag. if not they don't get healed.

the problem is this issue has been occurring for over a year. some minor fixes have been made but it is still here. there is little reason to have to watch out for players trying to do such to you. just the other night in ilum there were several of the opposing faction purposely flagging and killing players doing the pve quests.

when players force flag you, report them for griefing. that is exactly what they are doing to you.

And for my part, I sat in the gree base for ten minutes, didn't get unflagged, and had to return to fleet as described. That you personally are not experiencing a bug does not mean the bug doesn't exist. I also play multiple healers--I have 9 55s and one of every healing class--and it's happened on every single one.

You're right. One person claiming something means it must exist and is a huge problem.

1.) Have you filed a bug report?

2.) Have you started a thread in the bug report forum?

3.) Have you started any threads on it anywhere in the forums?

I too support a better flagging system. The one that exists now is simply broken.

Here's the situation that continually happens to me, which not one single person has brought up: I'm a healer. I cannot do virtually any of the Gree group content without getting involuntarily flagged. I don't do the PVP quests, I'm not in the PVP area (all of which gets perpetually suggested by the genius trolls who love PVP). All I have to do is heal a flagged player, which is going to happen on the daily heroic, any world boss, or Xenoanalyst.

Then I go out and about my business, and I get ganked while fighting other mobs. Happens every day at the Gree event. I deal with it, sure. But why do I have to?

The only alternative to this is to return to the FLEET, yes the fleet, because regardless of what happens in YOUR game and what YOUR tooltip says, the only reliable way I have found to unflag is to return to the fleet and manually toggle it on and off, then stay logged in for the next five minutes. Doing anything else does not reliably work, and I've even had to submit tickets when it wouldn't unflag on the fleet either.

• A 1-minute flag reset on any involuntary flags like this that actually worked; ie, if I'm not healing a flagged player or attacking a flagged player outside of a PVP area, then my flag resets.
  • Heals on flagged players from unflagged players have no effect. I would LOVE this. I'm sure the number of flagged players joining groups would drop off a cliff.

I dont heal flagged players that join wb groups. Some people run around with their flag always on, their choice. my choice is not to heal them

You're right. One person claiming something means it must exist and is a huge problem.

1.) Have you filed a bug report?

2.) Have you started a thread in the bug report forum?

3.) Have you started any threads on it anywhere in the forums?

It isnt like they will FIX the bug..

It isnt like they will FIX the bug..

You're so right! We've NEVER had any bugs fixed in this game, right?

I mean, there aren't 10+ bug fixes listed on every single patch note release. And we CERTAINLY didn't get a recent patch that was nothing but a long list of bug fixes.

GOD, how I could be so stupid?

/sarcasm

You're so right! We've NEVER had any bugs fixed in this game, right?

I mean, there aren't 10+ bug fixes listed on every single patch note release. And we CERTAINLY didn't get a recent patch that was nothing but a long list of bug fixes.

GOD, how I could be so stupid?

/sarcasm

and how many bug fixes did they list that WERENT EVEN IN THE PATCH! when will the UI bug when you change instances be fixed? and so many theat were here since beta. most of the fixed bug involve the cartel market. or anything that helps the players.

hybrid server maybe more better.

In most MMOs, including this one.....PvE servers ARE HYBRID SERVERS. ;)

Look, this is simple really, despite how convoluted everyone is making it. It's not like you are not in control of the situation, just stop being careless.

1) A PvE Server is by definition a hybrid PvE/PvP server in most MMOs

2) You can flag yourself for PvP, or not

3) Because of the hybrid nature of the server, there are mechanics that could cause you to autoflag, so avoid them if you don't want to be in PvP.

4) with just a little care and attention to detail on the players part, you can avoid PvP, even when someone is trying to draw you into PvP against your will.

5) in this MMO: don't attack flagged player, don't heal a flagged player, and don't AoE indiscriminately in a known area where PvP can exist (which frankly is not that many areas in this game to begin with).

6) If you are bad at #5 then switch instances immediately and end the problem for you for that situation. They are not going to follow you...because they don't know if you logged off, or which instance you hopped to.

7) If you want to stand your ground.. then own em, or call for help and own them

While it would be nice if Bioware made everything "Hello Kitty safe"....they have made it clear that they are not in that business and that they want to enable and encourage open world PvP on a small scale, using player choice mechanics where an attentive player can indeed avoid PvP.

If you don't like a game feature, by all means make use of the suggestion forum above and in game feedback. If you cannot cope with the games mechanics in the mean time..don't go anywhere where there is possibility for PvP in the open worlds.

Edited by Andryah

One thing to watch out for is when a pvp flagged player just auto follows you , I remember in the Rakghoul Plague event , someone doing that to me , it was fairly obvious what he was doing , it also involved his companion smacking my companion. Anyway it happened again on makeb an opposite faction flagged player started following me around the blow up 8 speeders interlude weekly. After a while I asked "can i help you? " he was asking about m1-4x at the same time and we had a chat and off we both went , it again was obvious what he /she was trying to do. Really glad he said m1-4x is the best companion in the game as it's true !

Overall though there should be a switch on a RP or PVE server to turn it off completely , we all know originally the designers of this game wanted PVP to pop here there and everywhere. They also wanted the game to have no LFG and to basically travel , quite slowly from A to B. Times change we got LFG so now fix your PVP flag system BioWare please?

Andryah , there aren't always more than one instance to switch to.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

and how many bug fixes did they list that WERENT EVEN IN THE PATCH! when will the UI bug when you change instances be fixed? and so many theat were here since beta. most of the fixed bug involve the cartel market. or anything that helps the players.

That is complete BS and you know it. Would you like me to make a list of bug fixes (even just since 2.0) that DON'T involved the CM or fix "exploits" that help players?

Why shouldn't they? I mean, look. If I see someone flagged whether it's in the PVP zone or running around doing dailies, I'm just going to assume that they're down for some open world pvp. Because, you know, you actually have to work at getting flagged. I've gotten into some seriously epic spontaneous battles that way that were a hell of a lot of fun.

Don't want to get killed, don't do the things that get you flagged. Or go to the base and wait five minutes for it to drop.

^This

One thing to watch out for is when a pvp flagged player just auto follows you ,
Only happened to me once on Ilum, no Gree event, I wanted to see if they were paying attention so started doing some quest after about 10 mins, I ran them into the republic base area. Never got flagged, but still consider that a kill.

There is a very annoying method that people exploit to no end to flag others on the Progenitor server. They enter stealth and stand next to something that they know for certain that drops loot (like a strong or elite mob) and come out of stealth right when the mob dies and you are about to click on it to pick up loot. With the perfect timing and positioning, you accidentally click on the other player, use your auto-attack on him and flag yourself. Then his gazillion buddies (also stealthing nearby) come around and kill you. (For the best result they go for mobs that drop mission items as they know people will always pick up mission items.)

Be extremely careful when you click on a Gree comlink droid, I regularly expect such antics there.

I know of at least two Imperial PvP guilds that regularly use this method. The real sad thing is that they only do this if they have a numerical superiority. They will always pull this despicable tactic when they outnumber their victim(s) at least 3 to 1. They always shy away from even or fair fights.

I agree that you should be circumspect and vigilant in such a situation but come on, should you expect to be ganked every time to try to pick up loot from a strong mob? That's just too much to ask.

Edited by CommanderKeeva

Probably because most PvE players (note I did not say "all", but most) reserve the right to PvP when they choose to. This is the essence of the modern PvE server. And with that flexibility comes a little bit if responsibility on the part of the player. Don't flag if you don't want to PvP and don't do something foolish that would trigger the auto-flag either. It's a small responsibility and one of self-interest as well.. so one would think players would apply it rather then ask Bioware to remove choice completely.

In any event.. if someone wants to suggest a "off-switch" on their characters for PvP.. fine.. suggestion forum is up above.

And the suggestions made would alleviate these problems and still allow people to engage in PvP when THEY choose too. Your vehement opposition to it shows that your willful ignorance to the situation being presented.

Only happened to me once on Ilum, no Gree event, I wanted to see if they were paying attention so started doing some quest after about 10 mins, I ran them into the republic base area. Never got flagged, but still consider that a kill.

Ha ha , that's a good one , I applaud you ! I'm hoping they try it again on me , most my characters are pretty well geared now , 7 characters basic or slightly above , not the best but better.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I love it how you make it seem like it's always a problem of the player and in essence "L2P" argument and not the issue of game's mechanics even though the game's mechanics could be easily improved to prevent this problem and improve gameplay experience for many players.

But this is a L2P issue, the OP admitted to that.

"accidentally attacking and getting flagged"

:rolleyes:

There is a very annoying method that people exploit to no end to flag others on the Progenitor server. They enter stealth and stand next to something that they know for certain that drops loot (like a strong or elite mob) and come out of stealth right when the mob dies and you are about to click on it to pick up loot. With the perfect timing and positioning, you accidentally click on the other player, use your auto-attack on him and flag yourself. Then his gazillion buddies (also stealthing nearby) come around and kill you. (For the best result they go for mobs that drop mission items as they know people will always pick up mission items.)

Be extremely careful when you click on a Gree comlink droid, I regularly expect such antics there.

I know of at least two Imperial PvP guilds that regularly use this method. The real sad thing is that they only do this if they have a numerical superiority. They will always pull this despicable tactic when they outnumber their victim(s) at least 3 to 1. They always shy away from even or fair fights.

I agree that you should be circumspect and vigilant in such a situation but come on, should you expect to be ganked every time to try to pick up loot from a strong mob? That's just too much to ask.

Not seen that happen myself but I have one guild in mind that I suspect might be on your list... Though I think I did notice a stealth stalker, but I must've made it obvious enough that I noticed... Think I was on empire side at that time, but the name was yellow (and quickly ran away), so if that was one like it I suspect it's the counter guild on rep side of one of the guilds you identified.

No need to say which it is, they have a horrible reputation to begin with. Everyone I ever mentioned them to went either "What is that?" or "Oh, those [censored].", They are identified as PvP (or maybe PvP/PvE mix) but not respectfully. Some time ago I reported them for throwing WZ matches for their counter guild repeatedly, may have been before free to play option hit. It was very notable, making you sigh whenever you saw one of them in your group, and double when you noticed the other group was also them, it just sucked the fun out of PvP. They improved slightly after that, but they still do nothing to improve their reputation.

I suggest reporting them, make sure to mention player and guild if possible. A little talking to might make them behave a few days if it comes from the right source. And if they have been reported before who knows, maybe they'll get their ranks reduced and force the remnants to clean up the guild's rep (there's always hoping). Also, when you report them maybe BW will notice there really is an issue somewhere.

The thing that is irritating for many people about the Gree event is the cross over between the pvp and pve quests. There are only 2 quests that are actual pvp, the rest are pve. However, usually once the first couple of hours are over and there are more and more people out there doing the quests you are going to see general chat flooded with people griping on way or the other. Some are mad cause they got jumped, some are mad cause all they want to do is pvp. Each person is entitled to play in their own way. I do agree though with the Op. If I'm going to the Gree area to do the remaining 4 quests that are pve and have NO desire to pvp whatsoever then there should be mechanics in place in which I cannot be flagged by some person that feels the need to force me to pvp.

If people want to PvP they can spend hours in a queue waiting for a pop and don't come to locations where people really do not expect to be jumped. This is where PvP belongs, in long waiting queues and forgotten realms.

No.

PvP belongs in any area BioWare designates as a PvP area.

If you enter this PvP area, expect to be fair play -- as intended.

They even give you a warning that you are entering this area. IF you don't ever want to PvP, you have that ability by:

1.) Not queueing for WZs

2.) Not entering PvP areas

3.) Not flagging yourself for PvP.