'Best' Class Story?

Dovahkiwi

I'll have to pick Sith Warrior as my favourite so far. Had such a blast playing through it. Great story, companions were maybe not the best but still bareable. Prefer Juggs to Marauder too. Something about being a single wielding powerhouse appeals to me more. I've heard the Imp Agent story is really good but never got passed Balmorra.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Consular story was my favorite, too. I really loved being a healer and a diplomat, rescuing individuals who were in trouble and helping the Republic pull together. It's definitely a minority opinion, though! :)

I think that the Consular story is very strong but that the voice acting saps my will to keep playing. And I'm really not a fan of most of the companions.

It could be fun if they would make a Call of Duty in Star Wars. I get to the end of chapter 2, but something is missing in this story, hard to say what. The closest guess would be that this is 'a good (aka meh) story', nothing special, nothing that would you remeber, care for. But still, I would trade Consular for Trooper any day. Trooper at least isn't bad like Consular. Tho i would count him as a second weakest class story. Merc can be played as you like, Trooper is just a Poster Boy :/

I've enjoyed trooper so far, it's my first playthrough (newbie here!)

I think it just needs the right kind of mindset, I figured trooper story would be just that, soldier in the middle of a war. You do the yes sir, no sir routine as all soldiers do and well, you kind of have to. Being part of the Republic chain of command it's not like you're operating 'outside' of command like Shepard in Mass Effect for example. Maybe the story would have taken a different turn if they did exempt you from Republic command?

I agree though, the story is a bit flat at parts, there's a lack of urgency? Or impact, I'm not sure what. I've only gotten to the bit with Needles, took him down and it was a bit 'meh'. I also don't think much attention got paid to my decision to destroy a strategic resource. Heck I've disobeyed orders (light side) twice and I only got a mere rebuke. Yet, Garza still loves me... She should probably be grating at me saying I need to stop being an idealistic idiot, heh.

Can't wait to try the other storylines once I finish this one. :D

Heck I've disobeyed orders (light side) twice and I only got a mere rebuke. Yet, Garza still loves me... She should probably be grating at me saying I need to stop being an idealistic idiot, heh.

She can't do that - at least not openly. Admitting that you order your soldiers to commit war crimes is not generally a good career move.

I have played through all 8 classes and some of them multiple times (knight, Warrior, Inquisitor and Consular) and to me HANDS DOWN, The Imperial Agent is by far the best story in my opinion.

-Your choices actually matter

-it is the most personal story out of all of them

-has the best companions

-has the best ship

-there is multiple endings to each chapter

Here is how I rank the stories

1. Agent

2. Warrior

3. Knight

4. Consular

5. Inquisitor

6. Bounty Hunter

7. Smuggler

8. Trooper (severely disappointing)

I'll have to pick Sith Warrior as my favourite so far. Had such a blast playing through it. Great story, companions were maybe not the best but still bareable. Prefer Juggs to Marauder too. Something about being a single wielding powerhouse appeals to me more. I've heard the Imp Agent story is really good but never got passed Balmorra.

Agent story got it's reputation thanks to Act 2. No wonder you ain't feeling it if you haven't finished Balmorra yet, Act 1 is nothing special at all (and the choices in Act 1 don't matter at all). Trooper's Act 1 is much more superior.

Edited by Pietrastor

Of all the class stories I finished(warrior, agent, inquisitor, knight and smuggler), here's how I rank them:

1.Warrior and Smuggler

Warrior for the overall presentation of the story and characters, and smuggler for the fun characters and dialogues(except Corso, hate him).

3.Agent

Entertaining story with most twist and turns.but I'm not as emotionally invested as the previous two. Maybe it's the companions that are lacking.

4.Inquisitor

Story is meh especially chapter 2. But it's fun to play and voice acting for female inquisitor is good

The worst:Knight

Story is too cliche and predictable, just a tiring save-the- world story. What's worse, the PC is boring in both personality and voice acting and the companions I just don't care about. The only memorable characters in the whole story is Watch one and the sith lord on tatooine

Now I'm working on Bounty Hunter and at the end of Chapter 2. Chapter one is boring. Chapter 2 is slightly better. Companions I mostly like. so I'd place Hunter after Agent.

So far since I got the game when it first came out I've finished 5 of the stories and I'm working on the 6th Imperial Intelligence.

In order

Sith Warrior - This is what it felt like to be a Sith. I manipulated people, I corrupted a jedi and bought her to the dark side. I gained strength and power and eventually over threw my master. Everything that a good Sith should be. He came across as a mix of Palpatine and Vader. There was also nothing better then wading into a mob in full light saber mode. I will admit this was the hardest one to play because I didn't understand armoring or light and dark side choices so he was a little random. The ending with the strut was really quite cool.

Bounty Hunter - "I'm just a man trying to make his way in the universe" Jango Fetts words described the Bounty Hunter to a T. I actually really enjoyed this story. I had a better understanding of armor and light/darkside choices. But my Hunter ended up being fairly neutral as I let people live that weren't real bounties and spared the ones that I thought needed to come back alive. The first chapter was ok, but established a lot of things. From then on the game was a bit of a rocket ride to me. It featured political intrigue, revenge and a feeling that you had to chase the money. It also had an ending that could possibly decide the fate of the Galaxy. I guess it helped that you eventually became this heavily armored tank with tons of cool weapons.

Smuggler - The story line was really just ok, but the character was unbelievably awesome. A wise cracking rogue with a rag tag crew in a batter freighter going from world to world spreading your own form of chaos, all while bedding down with anything you could get your hands on. Probably the funniest character that I ever ran into. The story wasn't bad. I ended up more light side then anything which gave it the Han Solo feel. The underlying storyline of corruption and again betrayal, but the main villain was a bit flat to me. The end game choice to me was awesome, I might have to play through it again some day just to make the other choice.

Sith Inquisitor - I didn't hate this story, I hated the middle ghost buster concept. However I think that the Sith Inquisitor makes you understand the Sith more then the Warrior does. You start as a vulnerable slave and your basically a pawn through the first part of the game, First with your master then with a powerful member of the dark power. This whole story is about gaining strength so that you control your destiny, then gaining power so you can control the galaxy and reach your potential. The end fight was pretty good, and what made it great was the dark side powers that you accumulate. Come on most of you were making electrical noises when you were throwing lightning around, admit it. I just don't see how you could make this character light, mine was as dark and corrupted as midnight. I didn't want to reform the empire. I want to run it as I see fit.

Trooper - The idea of being a heavily armed special ops soldier was appealing to me given my former military background. I didn't really get the satisfaction out of it. The story was a bit flat and the Trooper himself was a bit cheesy. The opening story was great, but after that was dealt with the uber villain might as well have grown a twirly mustache and tied a girl to a rocket tram track on Correllia. I understand what they were trying to accomplish, I don't think they quite got there with this one and the whole thing was just grindy for me.

Imperial Agent - Don't jump on me for this, the only reason why its here is because I'm only on Drummond Kas. So far though its quite awesome. I love having to think infiltration, I loved that I had to lose the British accent on Hutta and sink into the underworld. I've now drawn the attention of Lord Jadus who is quite cool. The idea of rooting out corruption in the Empire is appealing. having a steal field and sneaking around for a quick head shot or knife in the back just goes with the story so well. So far most of my choices have been dark side due to my desire to clean up loose ends and leave no witnesses. My rare light side choices are due to gaining a resource for the Empire. The voice acting is decent. I can't wait to get a ship and go fight the Emperors enemies where they hide.

Having played a signifigant portion of all eight storylines (having finished at least chapter two in all eight and having finished five of eight at least once), I feel like I can note some interesting perspective.

I will also try and note how faction alignment affects each of the stories. A slight note here: I hate the idea of playing most of the stories neutral, especially the force users. It just makes them seem bipolar. It works well with the Agent and Smuggler though (will note when I get there). I will also do my very best to avoid spoilers.

Now to the ranking (top to bottom in order):

1. Imperial Agent

Silver's experience: Completed twice (1 dark/neutral, 1 light/neutral - saw both branches off of the major choice at the end of act 1)

This shouldn't be much of a surprise. Most people seem to have this as their favorite story and is the always 'must play' story whenever someone asks what to roll next. There are many reasons why. The story has so many twists and turns (and not 'twists' that everyone and their cat saw coming. actual twists that you couldn't see coming and but yet weren't out of left field to the point of being stupid). All three alignments (dark, light and neutral) make sense from an RP perspective and the game itself treats all of these options viable. The major choices you make actually matter and actually do affect some of the later conversations (as well as the endgame convos to a major degree).

Rating:

Light Side: 8/10

Dark Side: 9/10

Neutral: 8.5/10

Overall: 8.5/10

Alignment Comments: I didn't like light side agent as much. Seemed out of character for someone who was trained (and indoctrinated) by Imperial Intelligence. But that's just me. YMMV and I'm okay with that :D

2. Smuggler

Silver's experience: Completed once (neutral), Chapter 2 completed twice more (1 dark, 1 light)

This is going to be a bit of a YMMV pick. I've heard a lot of people praise the smuggler story, a lot of people hate on it and a few in the middle adding 'meh' votes. Here's my take: The smuggler has the BEST chapter 1 rival / villain in the game. No question. The smuggler also has the best prequel (starter planet + faction capital planet). FemSmug! has one of the best voice actors and MaleSmug! is no slouch. But in the end this comes down to if you like the Han Solo archtype. If you do, you will be very happy with the story. If you don't, you won't like this one much.

Rating:

Dark: 8/10

Light: 8/10

Neutral: 8.5/10

Overall: 8/10

Alignment comments: To me, neutral is my favorite way to play the smuggler. You love money but you're not completely heartless. You take revenge on those who wrong you but you also show mercy to those who deserve it. You aren't dark at heart but you aren't light either. To me, the DarkSmug! is just a little too ruthless and cruel and the LightSmug! is just a little too kind hearted to be a smuggler. But again, YMMV.

3. Sith Warrior

Silver's Experience: Completed once (played dark)

Someone said a few posts above me that this was the 'Sith' story and that it was truly how it feels to be a Sith. Power plays and backstabbing and ruthlessness and cunning and more power all tied nicely into your narrative. I couldn't agree more.

However the light side warrior is also fascinating. The light side warrior is someone who is trying to change the Empire from within. And he's trying to do it without being noticed or caught. It's a fascinating look at Sith and Imperial culture and one that is rarely seen in the SWverse.

Rating:

Light: 8.5/10

Dark: 8.5/10

Neutral: 4/10

Overall: 7.5/10 (making up math FTW)

Alignment Comments:

Dark Side is excellent however the darkness can go over the top sometimes from I am a Sith and I take no prisoners to LOL I AM EVULS LOOK AT ME. Light Side seems sketchy at times because it's occasionally hard to see how letting these people live doesn't come back to haunt you. And as I said before, playing a Sith neutral is silly. You just look bipolar, going from KILL ALL OF THE DUDES to PEACE AND LOVE MAN (and yes, I'm making myself sound kinda dumb here to illustrate a point).

4. Jedi Knight

Silver's Experience: Completed twice (once light, once dark)

This was a hard one to decide for me. As mirrors to each other, SW and JK share a lot of similarities and to me the quality of their stories is a virtual deadlock. Light JK, like Dark SW, is the prototypical story of Jedi heroism. You start as a padawan, grow into your skills, continue to hone your lightness, brave numerous challenges and hardships, inspire others with your character and leadership and finally take down a foe of untold power in a daring mission.

Like Light SW however, Dark JK deserves more love. Now, this is a major YMMV point of view (like many), but I am of the personal belief that Dark JK is done very, very well. My reasoning for this is that it follows a similar path to the fall of Anakin, but it is much better done. The pathing is more like you start as a padawan, you grow into your skills, you continue to hone your darkness (but it is hidden from the council), you brave numerous challenges and hardships, you inspire others with your skills and your deeds and you take down a foe of untold power in a daring mission. More importantly, the darkside options ramp up throughout the story, almost as if you are gradually falling to the dark, going from morally dubious to outright vicious.

Rating:

Light: 8.5/10

Dark: 8.5/10

Overall: 7.5/10 (making up math FTW)

Alignment Comments:

Ratings tie with the SW. However, the tiebreaker goes to one simple thing. Dark JK, while I love it, has one small flaw: You meet with the council (as well as Satele) in person and over holocall numerous times. I was playing my dark female with DS corruption on (until dark III where she looked ugly). There should be no reason that my JK can walk into the council chamber with glowing orange eyes and no one bats an eye. Just a picky little thing I had an issue with, especially since the ending hints at Satele's concerns for your methodology (if you played DS), showing that she knew from day one but didn't comment (except for one throwaway comment on tython if you chose one rather tame DS choice).

To me, these are the four best stories and they all have many strengths and a few weaknesses. This is the cutoff point in my mind though. From here, things go downhill a bit.

5. Sith Inquisitor

Silver's experience: Completed chapter 2 once

I know, it might be hard for you to take my opinion without a grain of salt because I haven't finished this story yet. And that's okay. But here's what I have to say.

As was my caveat with the force users earlier, playing them neutral makes them sound bipolar. Perfect example comes on Korriban. You can interrogate this guy and shock him, then be nice, then shock him again, then be nice, then kill him. It just seems so off (you can argue that you're just playing cat and mouse with him in a particularly sadisitic fashion but the game treats this as 2 light sides and two darksides, so it's neutral. That being said, dark side is the guilty pleasure kind of fun. Playing FemInq! with her delightful British accent and the snark that she brings to the character is terrific. However, her voice just doesn't fit light side. The glee she takes from shocking people makes it so... perfect.

Ratings:

Dark Side: 8/10

Light Side: 6/10

Overall: 6/10

Alignment Comments: Dark side sometimes gets to the point of being a parody (like SW), but the guilty pleasure aspect more than makes up for it. Light Side simply doesn't fit the character (isn't handled nearly as well as SW IMO) and netural is simply silly.

6. Bounty Hunter

Silver's experience: Through Chapter 2 once (light side)

Again, haven't finished this one and I heard the conclusion is solid. So I may have to revise after I finish. That being said, a few thoughts.

The BH story is very predicatable. You hunt targets and you capture or kill them. You become infamous and eventually wanted for you know, being a bounty hunter. You become well known among the Mandalorians for, you know, being a bounty hunter and skilled warrior. None of this should be a surprise to anyone.

That being said, like the smuggler the light side is too light, the dark side is too dark and neutral feels just right. However, it's simply not as good as the smuggler story.

Ratings:

Dark: 5.5/10

Light: 5.5/10

Neutral: 6/10

Overall: 5.5/10

7. Trooper

Silver's experience: Finished once (lightside)

The Trooper story, like the BH story, is extremely predictable. You come up through basic training, come into your own, put together a squad and serve the Republic. Light side trooper is sooooooo predicatable. You serve with honor, valor and courage and you put doing the right thing first no matter what. Dark side trooper is a ******** who rebels against authority at any given chance. Neutral trooper is bipolar.

That being said, I like the trooper's companions a lot. That has to count for something right?

Ratings:

Dark: 6/10

Light: 6/10

Overall: 5.5/10

Now these three, while rated lower than my top four had enough enjoyable moments and redeeming qualities to make them enjoyable to play. They all had good moments and bad, but I kept playing because I enjoy them enough to do so. That isn't the case for the last one.

8. Jedi Consular

Silver's experience: Completed Chapter 2 once

Comments:

I don't have much to say. I hate this story. The voice acting is subpar, the plot is meh, the companions are meh (Tharan is a little twit but at least he's somewhat unique), and the enemies are booooooooooooring.

Light side is boring and heavy handed, neutral is bipolar and dark side makes no effing sense.

I'm not even dignifying this one with a rating. That's how much I dislike it. I only got this far for the legacy buff (did this before my sorc)

Overall thoughts: The story telling for the class stories is FANTASTIC. 4 of 8 (or half) are gripping, thoughful and would be praised if they were complete, contained single player games. 3 of 8 (or nearly the rest) have good moments and bad but are overall an enjoyable experience. 1 of 8 sucks arse but you can't be perfect so really no fault to bioware there.

Random asides: Love the crossovers between stories, especially the companion crossovers (I won't spoil but there's one in particular that is HILARIOUS). Love how they all tie in together with little details. And for the most part I like the companion characters in that every character has at least one companion with a really good story.

And lastly, a list of best voice acting in the game:

1. FemSmug!

2. FemInq!

3. MaleWarrior!

4. MaleAgent!

5. MaleSmug!

So that's that. Hope you enjoyed the read and found it helpful.

Edited by SilverMagnum

5. Sith Inquisitor

Alignment Comments: Light Side simply doesn't fit the character (isn't handled nearly as well as SW IMO)

How? Inquisitor is a former slave who was forced into Sith training. This along with LS dialogue options provided results in a LS Inquisitor who doesn't like the Empire, the Sith and is trying to transform both organizations from inside while trying to not get himself abnd other innocent people killed. Not exactly sure how many LS options you picked cause clearly you missed a lot. He has 100% validated reasons to be 100% light side, can state it in the game itself with actual light side options etc. If anything, it's Warrior that doesn't fit LS at all. Warrior is a #1 cheerleader for Space Hitler. That is incompatible with being LS no matter how many kittens Warrior saves. Edited by Pietrastor

How? Inquisitor is a former slave who was forced into Sith training. This along with LS dialogue options provided results in a LS Inquisitor who doesn't like the Empire, the Sith and is trying to transform both organizations from inside while trying to not get himself abnd other innocent people killed. Not exactly sure how many LS options you picked cause clearly you missed a lot. He has 100% validated reasons to be 100% light side, can state it in the game itself with actual light side options etc. If anything, it's Warrior that doesn't fit LS at all. Warrior is a #1 cheerleader for Space Hitler. That is incompatible with being LS no matter how many kittens Warrior saves.

I suppose I should have been a little clearer. I played a female Inquisitor (well am still playing), and I took all of the LS options just to see them (ESC is such a handy thing), but I'm playing her dark side. I guess I just didn't like the light side options for the SI as much as the SW (again, this is just my personal feeling on it). I will say that a major reason for this is the voice acting for the female inquisitor. As I mentioned, she is simply filled with glee whenever she is torturing someone. The voice acting (which for me is a major contributor to the feel of a character) just feels wrong for the LS version but so right for the DS version. However, I have not played a male SI, so that could be completely different on the other side of the aisle.

As for LS warrior, the story is basically that he's acting as a cheerleader for Space Hitler (the companion quests with LS Jaesa really bring this out) and he's using his position and influence to try and change the Empire from the inside out (the LS Warrior envisions the Empire and the Sith as a whole different breed... similar to the Imperial Knights and Emperor Roan Fel in the Legacy EU timeframe). Personally, I thought this was fascinating, but again as I always said, YMMV.

How? Inquisitor is a former slave who was forced into Sith training. This along with LS dialogue options provided results in a LS Inquisitor who doesn't like the Empire, the Sith and is trying to transform both organizations from inside while trying to not get himself and other innocent people killed.

My SI was mostly LS, and that was pretty much her attitude. However, there were parts of the story that didn't seem to work well for a LS Inquisitor (e.g., the way the SI acquires Ashara on Taris). On the other hand, I thought the end of the class story (after the big boss fight) was terrific. I understand it's great for a DS Inquisitor as well.

Edited by Hudlar

I don't know, to me the SI being completely dark side just seemed appropriate, not because of the fact that he was a Sith, but the fact that he came from slavery where he was nothing and his only path to power to never be taken advantage of again was based in utter ruthlessness and imposing his power to dominate the weak.

I think in one of the Darth Bane books he said it best and really put the whole Sith philosophy into focus "Those who ask for mercy don't deserve it"

Basically my SI was willing to kill and deceive and destroy to ensure that his chains of slavery were broken. He didn't necessarily love the empire, the dark choices to me were rooted in self, and his desire to gain revenge.

He was betrayed by two separate masters. His war wasn't with the empire it was with individuals. On top of that the SI would have craved the power that those people had and the only way to get it was to kill them and supplant them. That's why he dealt with Zash when she reached the end of her usefullness and became a threat.

The only complaint I have is that the companions are just too "bizarre", if that word could be used. Normally that is not a problem because it makes for memorable characters. However, when playing as a spy, I would want to seem as inconspicuous as possible. Thus having a psychopath, a joiner, a rakghoul, a Force-sensitive, or a female robot following me around everywhere would attract too much attention. Therefore I did not use companions in cutscenes, only on the ship.

Hey, don't forget the Ewok! She is completely inconspicuous! :p

Just wanna point out that the Imperial Agent story is good as long as you have 0 ,0!!!!!!!! spoilers before playing .

Even hearing recommendations like ''there are many real twists and surprises'' is too much of a spoiler.

This class story is one of the few or i may say the only class story that makes you finish the main story and level up even you don't like playing the class,gameplay wise.Voss is drudgery though.

Edited by Kaedusz

Just wanna point out that the Imperial Agent story is good as long as you have 0 ,0!!!!!!!! spoilers before playing .

Even hearing recommendations like ''there are many real twists and surprises'' is too much of a spoiler.

This class story is one of the few or i may say the only class story that makes you finish the main story and level up even you don't like playing the class,gameplay wise.Voss is drudgery though.

The first point is an excellent point.

The second point is also true. However, I hate Voss period, so this isn't really a knock on the agent story IMO.