The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

4v4 PvP

TLCuddy

So whats the take of the role of PTs with this dynamic? I feel like ST PTs might be better tanks than Juggs. Less people to kill, less need for more Def CDs. I would think the ability to pull the enemy and burn them down would be more viable than a leap!

This is my first MMO so I have no experience in the arenas of WoW or any other MMO, so I honestly have no real idea what Im talking about, its all speculation for me!

So whats the take of the role of PTs with this dynamic?

Simple. We won't have one. If you can only bring four players in a premade, would you waste a slot on a PT?

No. You would bring an OP healer, a jugg tank, either a second healer or a sniper, and a smash spec Mara.

With four people, you can't afford to drag and carry a gimped spec like your 8v8 kickball matches.

Simple. We won't have one. If you can only bring four players in a premade, would you waste a slot on a PT?

No. You would bring an OP healer, a jugg tank, either a second healer or a sniper, and a smash spec Mara.

With four people, you can't afford to drag and carry a gimped spec like your 8v8 kickball matches.

That is a bit overly negative. There will be multiple viable comps and ones that might take a while to sort out but to suggest that there is only two comps would be a bit presumptuous. Smaller matches do have a tendency to highlight your specific utility. And a pull is def going to be useful as the kiting games start. Run in, hit them, as they run away from you, pull them back, and chain cc on em till they die. Even PT DPs will likely see some use because of the pull. Now will our gimped DPs effect us? Most likely... But tanking wise, PTs are not in a terrible spot.

i have a feeling smash wont be as great in 4v4, due to people not being nearly as bunched up and not having objectives to cluster them up. i expect we'll see a lot more people switching off rage for arenas which will be a nice change for once.

Smash, even as a single target attack, still hits harder than most single target attacks in the game and requires very little setup. They'll do just fine.

Gotta agree with the guy above that said PTs won't have a place in arenas. I guess if you can't find a Jugg tank, a PT tank would be passable (but not ideal). There is no situation where a DPS powertech can enjoy arenas.

Smash, even as a single target attack, still hits harder than most single target attacks in the game and requires very little setup. They'll do just fine.

Gotta agree with the guy above that said PTs won't have a place in arenas. I guess if you can't find a Jugg tank, a PT tank would be passable (but not ideal). There is no situation where a DPS powertech can enjoy arenas.

i expect a lot of carnage mara's will find there niche, lol. 1v1 i'd take carnage over smash any day.

Pretty much. 4v4 will be a question of damage to survivebility ratio, which ops healers and deception sins have the lead by a margin. Aside from major classes re-balance with 2.4, expect arenas to be limited to 2-3 classes. PT as dps or tank is no where near the top and not only would be under performing, will be a drag on the team. Heck, even pyro pre-expansion would not work in arena setting.

Edited by Ottoattack

mhh well... the current PT burst should not be underrated

but there will be some rebalancing anyways...

• 2 weeks later...