Sith ... They are misunderstood.

Undeadcenturion

Darwinism in economics and Darwinism as a way of life and (as far as the Sith go) death, are two entirely different things.

And both are misuses of the term Darwinism, Darwin believed in the most suitable adaptation to the environment.

Economic Darwinism is just greed, it might be justified in alsorts of ways, but has nothing to do with Darwin or his theories (theory in the scientific sense)

Darwinism as a way of life (or any other euphanism), is just genocide or murder, it basically gets summed up as might makes right. Darwin himself noted that if a species gets too aggressive, it kills off things it needs to survive. Darwin would also have pointed out the symbiosis is also a valid solution, ie allies make you stronger (real allies not what the sith have). Basically Sith are not an example of Darwinism, and never have been.

And both are misuses of the term Darwinism, Darwin believed in the most suitable adaptation to the environment.

Economic Darwinism is just greed, it might be justified in alsorts of ways, but has nothing to do with Darwin or his theories (theory in the scientific sense)

Darwinism as a way of life (or any other euphanism), is just genocide or murder, it basically gets summed up as might makes right. Darwin himself noted that if a species gets too aggressive, it kills off things it needs to survive. Darwin would also have pointed out the symbiosis is also a valid solution, ie allies make you stronger (real allies not what the sith have). Basically Sith are not an example of Darwinism, and never have been.

Well adaptation to the environment includes exploiting the system (whether that is jungle or human economy) and self-improvement to rise above the competition. These two things are just sub-elements of survival instinct. In Capitalism, the wealthy do not try to eliminate the poor (they do not eliminate what makes them wealthy). On contrary, they exploit them.

So the conclusion is that Republic, in that respect, is worse than Sith. At least Sith are honest about their intentions.

Edited by Path-x

Here's my two cents.

Dark Side is evil, literally evil. The teachings of the Sith, a path to the dark side, are what ya make of them. But, the actual "side" of the force that gives force users dark power is definitely evil. In some of SW's older religions the dark side was called "Bogan" (and light, Ashla... could be off on that spelling). It was considered a deity, with goals and ambition, mainly destroying Ashla. Things in game, like Sel-Makor, on Voss, and the various dark-side entities show that there is a willful corruption at work. The only time the force was given real ambiguity, as far as good/evil go, was in KOTOR 2 thanks to the ever deceitful Kreia. Other than that game, the force has always had two sides, one good, one evil.

Obviously, not all sith are evil. Think there's one in the Knight storyline, but his name escapes me. (starts with P, but that's all I remember :o)

I find it somewhat upsetting that so many ppl are hung up on this "good and evil" stuff. and its funny that this topic itself has been debated by characters in the SW universe themselves. many ppl have their opinion on how the force works or how its classified but I PERSONALLY don't see it as that. yea sure many "evil" guys use the dark side but in regards to pure power id say that's just because its more effective. and no race is inherently evil (sith pureblood) so say that is dumb. especially since evil is a matter of perspective. yea im sure many ppl would see that some of the actions the sith do may be evil but im sure they don't all see it that way. I see it as efficient. ok now I admit blowing up a planet for no particular reason is mean but lets be honest Palp was a d*ck. many great sith in history were expert practitioners of the dark side and not evil. they were hailed as heroes. but again its all about perspective. but anyway yea.... the sith are misunderstood.

In "Dawn of the Jedi" comic series, the Sith are not yet evil. Some of them lived on Tython and helped forming the Jedi order, so they were not the evil mirderers from the start.

Now for Luke and dark side - he also turned dark to stop Palpatine reborn, and came back to light with help of Leia.

There is also Quinlan Voss, who walked the path between light and dark. There is Cade Skywalker who was doing the same, until he finally went light, but to the very last moment of Legacy series was more dark side.

I'd not call Qui-gon true light side Jedi too. He was considered more "grey Jedi ", with breaking some of the teachings and manipulating force to gain what he wanted. I very doubt that Yoda would force the dice roll to get Anakin freed.

• 3 weeks later...
I do not agree with this either. The Dark Side is a philosophy, same as the Light Side. There tends to be more of a Machiavellian outlook on life (put simply: more "ends justify the means") when it comes to the Dark Side's ideals. Being more extremely detached from others easily leads to a more "evil" seeming approach to life; Sith (and other Dark Side users) simply get the added benefit of generally being the most self-absorbed *****s you've ever met. But if you ask me, the Dark Side itself is nothing more than an idea (same as the Light Side) neither inherently good or evil.

In the context of this game, look at the Voss. It's said numerous times (especially when playing through as a Pub) that they (the Voss) have their history rooted in the Dark Side and that many relics or ideas dance the line with the Dark Side. Are the Voss evil? No. Arrogant and detached, yes, but not evil.

The Dark Side is not a set of ideals, it a mind-altering, mind-influencing energy field that pushes people in one direction (aggression, heavy emotions etc) rather than the other (peace, serenity). Force-Users don't have the luxury of moral relativism.

In "Dawn of the Jedi" comic series, the Sith are not yet evil. Some of them lived on Tython and helped forming the Jedi order, so they were not the evil mirderers from the start.

Now for Luke and dark side - he also turned dark to stop Palpatine reborn, and came back to light with help of Leia.

There is also Quinlan Voss, who walked the path between light and dark. There is Cade Skywalker who was doing the same, until he finally went light, but to the very last moment of Legacy series was more dark side.

I'd not call Qui-gon true light side Jedi too. He was considered more "grey Jedi ", with breaking some of the teachings and manipulating force to gain what he wanted. I very doubt that Yoda would force the dice roll to get Anakin freed.

but anikin's midichlornian lvl was off the charts would yoda rather cheat in a bet (like quigon did yoda probably wouldnt) or let the sepratists mop the floor with the republic and the jedi?

Yes OP, these are just your opinions, based on re-written history it seems.

Dark Jedi were hunted by the Jedi. Dark Jedi found Korriban, inhabited by Sith Purebloods. Centuries of inter-race relations with Dark Jedi diluted the Sith Purebloods, not this re-written historical holocaust nonsense.

Why not just say you enjoy playing the bad-guy, dressed in black, with lightning bolts, and generally better storylines, instead of making up BS to justify your sociapathic needs.

Sith, an name adopted by the Dark Jedi, are not misunderstood. Newsflash! The Sith did not join the Empire.

Re written? It's established cannon that the jedi went back to korriban, ziost, etc, and annihilated every sith that didn't go with vitiate.

The Sith species was shaped by the Dark Side of the Force and so were the teachings of the Sith, it is Darwinism, the Rule of Two is extremist Darwinism.

The Sith are not misunderstood they make their intentions very clear, the dominance of one over all others.

read Dawn of the jedi, everything you say is proven...false.

Dark side = evil. Light side = good. Light side = healthy. Dark side = cancer. No one can draw from both at the same time, you're either tapping one or the other at a given time. That's from Lucas himself. Now shut up about this misunderstood bs. /thread Edited by Burgdawg

The Dark Side is not a set of ideals, it a mind-altering, mind-influencing energy field that pushes people in one direction (aggression, heavy emotions etc) rather than the other (peace, serenity). Force-Users don't have the luxury of moral relativism.

It's all a set of ideals. Jedi vs Sith, Light vs Dark are all two sides of the same coin. The Force just is. It is neither inherently evil nor good, simply used in one form or another based upon the one welding it. Again, look at my example of the Voss. They are neither Light nor Dark, not Sith or Jedi. They use the Force, and yet they are neutral. Why? Because the Force is not Light or Dark, it's what the user does with it, how they twist it. Therefore each side is what groups (Jedi and Sith, namely) have made of it, what ideal they've created with it, not what it is.

It's all a set of ideals. Jedi vs Sith, Light vs Dark are all two sides of the same coin. The Force just is. It is neither inherently evil nor good, simply used in one form or another based upon the one welding it. Again, look at my example of the Voss. They are neither Light nor Dark, not Sith or Jedi. They use the Force, and yet they are neutral. Why? Because the Force is not Light or Dark, it's what the user does with it, how they twist it. Therefore each side is what groups (Jedi and Sith, namely) have made of it, what ideal they've created with it, not what it is.

Jedi vs Sith is a clash of ideals. Light Side vs. Dark Side is not. The Force isn't neutral or devoid of ethics/morals. It has two very distinct sides, each of them interacts and influences minds differently. The idea that Force (powers) are not inherently good or evil, it's how you use them (like Kyle Katarn said) is not an accurate assessment of how the Force works. Kyle Katarn was wrong.

Also, there is no neutral side of the Force. You are either light or dark. There are variations and degrees to which you are light or dark. (Some are 75% Light, 25% Dark, others are 55-45 or 90-10 etc) But you always lean towards one end slightly more than the other. Even Jolee Bindo, the quitessential Grey Jedi was more Light than Dark.

To touch upon the Voss thing: even though their don't entertain the notions of Light or Dark ides (or the Force in general), that doesn't mean that those phenomena don't exist or don't apply to them. The Voss are a cooperative society, they value peace and justice, even though they have (to some of us) weird ways of showing it. This leads me to believe that deep down, most of them are Lightsiders.

To close this off, here's a quote from Luke Skywalker talking to his son:

"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."