Bioware, we need a solution to our sqiushyness while leveling.

IsolatedPurity

How come I am forced to use Khem? I would much prefer to use Ashara but unfortunately if I come across a "strong" mob (or godforbid a "elite") She dies and so do I. I'm a full blown PvP DPS spec and I feel that I am FORCED to play by a strict guideline of rules.

No I don't want to heal, I want to fight. I shouldn't have to heal to use a certain companion. Even then I constantly have to sacrifice getting commendations/loot boxes for Khem gear because he isn't even that strong of a tank.

I really want to play MY own way and not a cookie cutter way. It's either, DPS with Khem or heal with any other Companion but it shouldn't be like that at all.

Note: I realize the fanboys will get butt hurt about this and assume that Bioware is infallible but keep in mind I am a huge fan of Bioware and Star Wars. I also know that I did not provide a 100% solution, I have no idea what they could do for it. Make our companions more durable maybe? Or give us some way to survive a encounter with a Strong mob. I am not some n00b that doesn't know how to play my class, I have everything binded, a great ROT. I am also encountering mobs my level or 1-2 levels lower than me.

Edited by IsolatedPurity

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you just want to rant and pre-insult those who might respond or did you really want input?

If "A" Then my response is good luck with the game.

If "B" then I'd ask what level are you? I'm just starting really (only level 18) and have 2 companions. I can use either and am fine. Are you using static barrier as much as possible? Do you have pots? Are you using Whirlwind to mezz whatevers killing you and healing up? (even as a dps sorc you can still heal yourself pretty good)

Of course if your talking about higher levels, then ignore me. Maybe your running into something i dont know about. Lets discuss.

Also, try not to be so confrontational in your post.

I kind of agree. I like Khem but would love to play with one of the other companions I have. I have tried using Ashara. She's fine on normal packs. But toss in an elite or strong mob and I just sit there and spam heals. Gets a bit boring. I do feel very very squishy with anyone but Khem out. Playing with any other is like grouping with a bad player who doesn't know how to keep themself alive, lol.

Did you just want to rant and pre-insult those who might respond or did you really want input?

If "A" Then my response is good luck with the game.

If "B" then I'd ask what level are you? I'm just starting really (only level 18) and have 2 companions. I can use either and am fine. Are you using static barrier as much as possible? Do you have pots? Are you using Whirlwind to mezz whatevers killing you and healing up? (even as a dps sorc you can still heal yourself pretty good)

Of course if your talking about higher levels, then ignore me. Maybe your running into something i dont know about. Lets discuss.

Also, try not to be so confrontational in your post.

At level 18 I felt fine too but the further and higher you go the more you'll come to realize what I am saying and no I don't use potions, I will use medpacks but of course that only gives SO much HP and I'd usually end up prolonging my death and no I do not Whirlwind unless I am faced with two strongs, or one strong and a few guys. In which case I would Whirldwind at the beginning because WW heals up the baddy which does no good for you.

Further more, I mentioned Ashara and wanting to use her which should be a clear indication that I'm at least level 30+ (I am 34.). A confrontational post is the only way to avoid listening to idiots come in and go

"Y U NO HEAL"

I don't just give up during a fight, I use everything at my disposal including the 20min CD "Channel the Force" but BARELY surviving a fight does not make me feel heroic. A Sith lord, and a padawan SHOULD be able to kill a FREAKIN ANDROID.

I am not trying to troll or argue with you or anyone, but there is no denying what I have said. Unless I am expected to gain like 5 levels before entering an Area something should be done.

I do amazing in PvP and pump out plenty of DPS during Flashpoints so I doubt I am missing something in terms of how my class works. I understand that I am a support class but I should be able to LEVEL.

Edited by IsolatedPurity

Yeah it sucks. Khem is the only one that can keep aggro on himself but I have to heal him in every fight with at least a lieutenant. With other companions I get damaged instead. Can try healer companion and then AOE and kite survivors, maybe that will be better, but still, don't like to be pigeonholed in using certain companions. Edited by Arunas

I've been using Ashara only since I got her, and I'm doing fine. Haven't even had Khem out, for anything other than the class quest part, since I got Andronikos. Your squishyness is just something you have to account for. Use Whirlwind if you can't take on that many enemies. Electrocute only has a 60s cooldown, use it whenever you can, don't save it. Get the Relics from the LS/DS vendor. They have great cooldowns for when you need that extra bit of damage. Make use of Jolt as often as possible. And don't expect Ashara to live through much, she's a dps, not a tank. If you're trying to kill Elites or Strong mobs, and she has aggro, you're doing something wrong. You should be doing enough damage to pull aggro off of her.

I still get my *** kicked in every mob that has even 1 strong in it. And almost all elites are impossible, no matter what tactic I try. I dont mind using khem, but hes just so weak, and im just so squishy.....i'm actually waiting to use the medical probe right now! Edited by Tildren

The only time you should need Khem, regardless of spec, is on Elites. I'm 49 and I've been able to use everyone. In fact your most beneficial companions are Adronikus and Ashara. You can kill most groups faster with them than you can with Khem. Khem is good, but really he only needs to come out if you're facing a boss.

Almost every sorcerer I see running around in-game is using Khem, and it's mind-boggling to me. He does crap for dps, and you can be more efficient on most stuff with a dps companion. I'm using Andronikus for the most part because I haven't quite gotten Ashara yet. For groups, I just target the middle mob, start casting chain lightning, and, about half a second later, send the pet in, and chain lightning and Andronikus' thermal bomb hit at almost the exact same time. From there, most mobs just melt the rest of the way down. For sets with a strong mob, I'm slightly less devastating, of course. If there's three mobs, I'll usually start with chain lightning/thermal bomb and then go into a single target rotation on the strong, using chain lightning again if lightning storm procs. If there's just two mobs, I'll typically skip chain lightning.

Bottom line: don't be one of the noob sorcs who uses Khem for everything. It's not optimal.

I've had very little trouble with most elites, even with a strong along side him. I use Khem a good deal as well. Make sure you aren't just letting Khem do his own thing. You should be controlling what skills he's casting to make sure he's keeping agro and has his defense buffs. He's a tank, don't have him wast time trying to dps.

When going into a fight with an elite I'll frequently put the static barrier on Khem (recast if/when needed), make sure to add as many DOTs as I can to the boss and keep those active, and also use interrupts as well. It's not very different than doing a flashpoint with a boss. I'm at L28 now and only have had to heal Khem a few times during a fight.

If fighting an elite as well as others I'll do the same process but after laying on the DOTs I'll get to work on the other mobs and keep an eye on Khem's health and barrier. I want to get it down to just me and the elite as soon as possible.

Don't forget to keep your companion's gear updated and fixed as well. If you fix your armor when your companion is not out their armor does not get fixed.

How come I am forced to use Khem? I would much prefer to use Ashara but unfortunately if I come across a "strong" mob (or godforbid a "elite") She dies and so do I. I'm a full blown PvP DPS spec and I feel that I am FORCED to play by a strict guideline of rules.

No I don't want to heal, I want to fight. I shouldn't have to heal to use a certain companion. Even then I constantly have to sacrifice getting commendations/loot boxes for Khem gear because he isn't even that strong of a tank.

I really want to play MY own way and not a cookie cutter way. It's either, DPS with Khem or heal with any other Companion but it shouldn't be like that at all.

Note: I realize the fanboys will get butt hurt about this and assume that Bioware is infallible but keep in mind I am a huge fan of Bioware and Star Wars. I also know that I did not provide a 100% solution, I have no idea what they could do for it. Make our companions more durable maybe? Or give us some way to survive a encounter with a Strong mob. I am not some n00b that doesn't know how to play my class, I have everything binded, a great ROT. I am also encountering mobs my level or 1-2 levels lower than me.

There is a solution its called L2P. Seriously, we don't need improvements or buffs. Your obviously doing something wrong.

so I'm 26 Lightning Sorcerer and my whole party died on the Prophet (Last Boss of FlashPoint: Athiss) he was at 1/3rd HP left and I solo'd the rest of the fightby DPSing until he did alot of damage then shielding, run away, heal, continue dps. i frekin SOLO'D him... No Companion... Nothing. Not even potions.

so I duno what you guys are doing wrong lol.

Edited by Ludercrs

There is a solution its called L2P. Seriously, we don't need improvements or buffs. Your obviously doing something wrong.

Learn to play? Seriously, give Khem or the other companions good gear and use your bubble and CCs.

Ah, 12yr olds :rolleyes:. I love people like this that offer no advice other than to troll. Both of my posts already addressed anything you could've said anyway. So meh.

I'm completely with Luder. You have all the tools you need to overcome any challenge at hand...before you add in companions. I don't follow how, if you're using all of your skills to the best of your abilities, you can't find a way. Read what they do, use them in productive order, and do the same with your companions and their abilities.

There are 2 classes inside the Si base class. The companions need to work with both of them. Khem is a tank and meant to work well with the sorc. The other dps and healer companions work well with with the assassin. If you don't want to use Khem, learn to use interrupts and how to kite. (force slow plus force speed plus Force lightning =Win) There are many play styles available in this class. Some of them are not meant for the noobs. I personally had no problems soloing anything in this class until a story quest in Voss. (Which I was under level by 3 levels) Which I could have soloed, but had a friend near by to help.

Interupts, cc, heals, bubble. Use everything at your disposal and you should be fine. If not reroll and see how the other classes live. I have watched my room mate have many more problems then me as a Warrior.

Ah, 12yr olds :rolleyes:. I love people like this that offer no advice other than to troll. Both of my posts already addressed anything you could've said anyway. So meh.

That was actually good advice. Use all the abilities your class has to level.

You should be putting your bubble on people. Toss a quick heal out if needed. Ok so you need a tank companion to beat elites, ok, what's wrong with that, it actually makes sense.

Use your CC, it makes this class, along with your heals and bubbles near unbeatable while questing. You have so much control over how the fight develops with this class you really just need to read all your spells and talents and figure out when they are applicable.

If you just expect to take whatever companion you want into every fight and just mash your favorite dps spells then you are going to fail. Learn your class, use its various abilities. Stop being so bull headed and trolling this forum.

I have gone pure lightning Sorcerer. I am lvl 28 and have Khem and Andronikus. I agree that it can be difficult sometimes, but that is because I did not use all your skills correctly and watch what you are fighting.

I have taking out 3 Elites at the same level with no problem at all after I got used to all my spells. Still Andronikus clear the mobs way faster than Khem can do it.

If just 2 mobs I always go like this.

Cast barrier on companion.

Whirlwind the tank Elite

Then use Jolt, Shock, overload to interrupt what ever that are going to cast. Usually their standard attacks is not to fear, it is their abilities that they are casting that hurts. If you dont watch what they are casting, well then here is your problem of why you are dieing.

Then spam all the other damage dealing abilities.

Once you learn how to interrupts the enemies then you wont have a problem, well at least I dont. :)

Also get a reusuable special health pack I think it is called. Restore 2000 to 2500 health instantly should you come in trouble.

Hate to break it to you but you are a squishy class with a healing tree and have been balanced accordingly. A tanking companion is the best bet for 90% of the sorc player base. If you wish to play without one, the madness tree with its haxx whirlwin shennanigans is probably your best bet.

Expecting to play a class with a healing spell without ever using the healing spell is pretty rediculous. If you want to hit your full potential as a player you will have to embrace your heals and use them accordingly.

I haven't invested as much into Khem's gear as I should, however he's only squishy if I'm slow on bubbles and heals and stuns and interupts and cc's. You gotta use all of your abilities correctly to prevent damage to him.