The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

To Crit or not to Crit?

Iolus

For the sake of pvp, are you guys stacking crit? Why or why not?

IF U HAVE ASSAULT TROOPER talent from Assault stack 180-250 Crit Rating.

IF YOU DONT, then you might DUMP IT. (I still use 180-250 Crit Rating in gear without assault trooper, but i know it is because i want to be bursty even with "sustained" build, but dps per point it is a dps loss if your main rotation skills do not benefit from 30% surge bonus on critical hit).

Period.

IF U HAVE ASSAULT TROOPER talent from Assault stack 180-250 Crit Rating.

IF YOU DONT, then you might DUMP IT. (I still use 180-250 Crit Rating in gear without assault trooper, but i know it is because i want to be bursty even with "sustained" build, but dps per point it is a dps loss if your main rotation skills do not benefit from 30% surge bonus on critical hit).

Period.

You sure on that? Every dps theory craft and parses point toward a all power and surge build for better dps, crit rating yields. Regardless of surge talents. (Gunnery mando's are entirely surge based yet even there All power yields better dps, the exception being if you have a kell dragon's stat budget. (You don't)

I've played around with the character builder and pujtting that much crit only gains 2-3% with of crit chance. I personally feel that going with power and eliminating alll the crit rating from my gear is the way to go. I do have the conqueror implant that has crit and surge on it which gets me to around 20% ranged and 25% tech.

The crit versus power doesn't matter so much. 200 power versus crit is what, 40 bonus damage?

The question is what do do about AIM. I'm stacking AIM augments, and using the Agile 28AX mods because of the 10% aim bonus. Without buffs I top 3000 aim, which nets about 8% crit and a total of 1300 and some change in bonus damage inside of a warzone.

The 3% from 200 crit adds up to about 11% crit bonus. Warzone crit rating is 25/30 buffed, which means 45% HIB/rail shot critical chance with the set bonus. I crit a third of the time with regular tech attacks, and half the time with HIB - which is awesome. I usually pick up the 6K medal in every match, and top out at around 6.5 to 6.8k HIB shots.

My friends who stack the 28X mods (more power, less aim), all power/surge, and all overkill mods net out over 1400 bonus damage in warzones, and their higher surge pushed their HIB over 7.2K. Their crit is about 18% with the lower aim, or about 33% HIB crit with the set bonus.

I'm thinking the top crit/aim setup is better for assault because it gives us more consistent high DPS with HIB, and the power is better for tactics (which auto crits HIB).

Thoughts? Should I ditch the 3% crit for power? Should I start working on the 28X mods? Should we be using overkill mods?