Should subscribers be able to buy everything with credits?

sandyrocks

Most of the stuff in the cartel market wouldn't even exist then.

You do not really believe, that the preferred players are the ones, who are spending the most money in the cartel shop, do you? There are lots of subscribers, who are paying way more than their subscription per month.

Most of the stuff in the cartel market wouldn't even exist then.

You do not really believe, that the preferred players are the ones, who are spending the most money in the cartel shop, do you? There are lots of subscribers, who are paying way more than their subscription per month.

Right...and why is my question. We are already paying a sub, why not give us the option to use credits or cartel coins for the crap in the market?

To answer your title. I say no way.

However, I do believe subscribers should be able to buy any individual item for Cartel coins, not having to be subject to the random, take-a-gamble, packs in an attempt to get somethings. A nice subscriber perk that still uses coins.

As appetizing as that sounds, it would not be practical in the current F2P environment. It has been stated by BW that subscribers are the largest purchaser of CCs. Allowing subscribers to purchase everything with credits would severely drain revenue.

To answer your title. I say no way.

However, I do believe subscribers should be able to buy any individual item for Cartel coins, not having to be subject to the random, take-a-gamble, packs in an attempt to get somethings. A nice subscriber perk that still uses coins.

Why "no way"?

As appetizing as that sounds, it would not be practical in the current F2P environment. It has been stated by BW that subscribers are the largest purchaser of CCs. Allowing subscribers to purchase everything with credits would severely drain revenue.

Ah...so milk the ones who are already supporting them with a sub? Now of course we don't HAVE to spend money on coins but still.

Edited by sandyrocks

More or less.

And BW has been doing a good job of this so I don't really see the point of the thread. The only thing subs can't spend credits on is the customization kiosk and even then we get a 50% discount. Anyone saying we shouldn't be able to has little clue how this model actually works.

Right...and why is my question. We are already paying a sub, why not give us the option to use credits or cartel coins for the crap in the market?

Because the game wasn't profitable for BW/EA. There were not enough subs to cover the cost of running the game, developing new content and earn back the cost of development.

The Cartel Market brings in more money and has made the game profitable.

Ah...so milk the ones who are already supporting them with a sub? Now of course we don't HAVE to spend money on coins but still.

Right, we do not have to and I do not do.

And I am really happy, that other players decide to spend more money on the game for fancy stuff, so that I can still play it.... as otherwise it might be required to shut down permanently to soon.

The subscription alone would not give enough revenue to still maintain a future development of the game.

But seeing your intention, I do partially agree, that there should be fancy stuff, that can be bought by subscribers using in game methods (such as questlines, commendations or credits). And all of that stuff should be artifact quality, so that F2P players may not use it unless they at least become preferred.

Just curious what you think but I belive subscribers should be able to buy anything in the market with credits and not cartel coins.

You already can buy everything sourced via the CM with credits.... USE THE GTN.

I believe the title should be rephrased "Should subscribers be able to buy everything ON THE CARTEL MARKET with credits?". Subscribers should not be able to buy a lot of in-game content for credits, like full sets of BiS armor (excluding crafting), rare speeders, titles and pets. But they should be able to buy individual items from the CM without gambling.

CM items should have a heavy credit or CC price, otherwise people would just buy infinite copies of each item and sell them to a vendor or sature and completely undermine the GTN. To retain a sensible Cartel Market, items should be relatively expensive and exclusive. (As in not to have everyone unlock everything.)

But subscribers should absolutely have to right to purchase individual items from the Cartel Market. A fixed credit price would likely not work, since then people would have to resell items at a cheaper price than what they acquired them at. But their Cartel Coin stipend should be sufficient to purchase, say, half of the items in a pack, excluding super rare ones (White crystals, Revan's masks, Throne mounts).

The reason BW didn't allow for individual purchases on the CM was that then most people could buy exactly what they need from their monthly stipend, thus not spend any real money above their monthly subscription fee. By forcing people to gamble, they ensure that most of the time people do not receive the desired item from their "free" allotment of Cartel Coins and have to make additional purchases above their sub fees. (Mind you, this business practice makes the CM revulsive in the eyes of many people, who then, just don't buy anything.)

It's a sad business practice from our perspective, but makes perfect sense for the greedy EA shareholders.

That is not true. You can not buy everything on the GTN with credits. Some mounts, like the Solus Secant or the Aratech Rose were never available for purchase on the GTN on our server (guess they were so ugly).

You can buy most items on the GTN on most servers. But to say that you can buy everything would mean that an infinite amount of copies are available for purchase on ALL servers, which is clearly not the case.

The reason BW didn't allow for individual purchases on the CM was that then most people could buy exactly what they need from their monthly stipend, thus not spend any real money above their monthly subscription fee. By forcing people to gamble, they ensure that most of the time people do not receive the desired item from their "free" allotment of Cartel Coins and have to make additional purchases above their sub fees. (Mind you, this business practice makes the CM revulsive in the eyes of many people, who then, just don't buy anything.)

While the gambling bags have a downside. Other games with cash shops charge very high prices for the best items. Take a look at Neverwinter's cashshop and tell me how much you want it to be completely ala carte. $40 for a "rare" bear mount, etc.

Bioware will get their money either way. And nothing that is currently "rare" would be within the CC allotment each week. You cannot buy the nice speeders or even a set of armor each month. Even if you saved the allotment you would never keep up with the "cool" items on the CM you would want. You would still be buying CCs (or demanding lower CM costs).

I actually prefer spending $40 on packs when I feel like it and getting everything that is in them. Even if I don't get the exact piece I want I can usually sell or trade to get what I want and still have lots of other cool things I like.

I get what you are saying but in practice the ala carte isn't any cheaper (usually more expensive) and is generally less enjoyable than the one we have here in swtor. I also like the fact that unlike most other games I can buy any almost any piece off the GTN with credits I earned in game.

That is not true. You can not buy everything on the GTN with credits. Some mounts, like the Solus Secant or the Aratech Rose were never available for purchase on the GTN on our server (guess they were so ugly).

Oh I'm sure they were for sale on your server, you just missed out somehow.. or you are distorting the facts. Which server?

BTW.. you can't buy the Secant on the CM now.. but you can still buy them on the GTN. :p

Oh I'm sure they were for sale on your server, you just missed out somehow.. or you are distorting the facts. Which server?

BTW.. you can't buy the Secant on the CM now.. but you can still buy them on the GTN. :p

The point is that you can never guarantee 100% availability of CM items on the GTN. It gets particularly messy when armor sets are broken up piecemeal.

Not everything. There are some items that are cartel coin only. Cathar species unlock. Image re-design.

But yeah, that sentiment mostly holds. Besides the two things I mentioned, what can't you buy with credits?

The point is that you can never guarantee 100% availability of CM items on the GTN. It gets particularly messy when armor sets are broken up piecemeal.

You can be a bit patient and buy the set over a couple days. Or you could maybe spam fleet that you're interested in exchanging credits for CM items and someone interested in exchanging cash for credits might help you out.

Edited by DarthTHC

You can never guarantee 100% availability of CM items on the CM either. Yet items no longer on the CM can be and are for sale on the GTN.

Do you see a common denominator here? THE PLAYER ECONOMY.

The point is.. the GTN is flush with CM content. It's novel and pretty unique for this MMO... being as most MMOs make cash shop content bind to character (or account). There is simply no real reason for Bioware to go anywhere near the use of credits on the CM.. and there certainly is no business incentive for them to do so.

Edited by Andryah

You can never guarantee 100% availability of CM items on the CM either. Yet items no longer on the CM can be and are for sale on the GTN.

If it's currently on the CM, then it's 100% available. That doesn't mean it's 100% available on the GTN.

Not everything. There are some items that are cartel coin only. Cathar species unlock. Image re-design.

Oh I understand that. But that's not the topic. The topic presented by the OP is CM content, not CC purchases (which is either a broader or a separate topic).

Now.. if the OP meant to say.. why can't I buy CConly unlocks.... that would actually be a more productive discussion between members here.. as there is no game mechanic to address this. That said.. I do think that things like Appearance and Collections are fine as is.. because as subscribers.. we get sufficient coins to cover this is we even halfway manage them and are moderately patient. That said.. I don't think it would be a large stretch of effort for Bioware to make all CCunlocks deposit a tradable token into player inventory and that would then resolve the matter complete.

Edited by Andryah

Oh yeah, and for those things on the CM that aren't on the GTN, if we're impatient, or if we want to unlock Cathar or use the image redesigner, we do get a monthly allowance of coins to spend.

What was the problem statement again?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.