Should they make Old Republic movies?

Episove 7, It's the original script Lucas wrote, Lucas said himself almost everything they did in the EU for the big three, like Luke getting married, he wouldn't have done.

Yes I realize that, but has it been said that its gonna be retconned? Are they gonna go with that script? I thought it was gonna be something new?

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Of course not, you wouldn't have to ask me if they had, but it's plainly obvious.

Quite it is, however I would feel much better if some confirmation is actually stated. Though sad....all the EU stories/characters....forever gone! Well unless they have appeared beforehand....but then I suppose new stories could be written about em.

Which brings up a rather interesting question, as far as non-force users go. Would their feats still count as they are able to do them as what they have shown in the post-ROTJ stories? The stories I know wouldn't, but what they themselves did.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

pfft george has said a lot and much has changed over the last bit with disney and new movies. Yeah he said that stuff, but he also said sidious is the most powerful sith lord and that there would never be any more star wars movies, but you see what has happened. It wont directly retcon anything, it's story will just take more importance than the current EU. How do you think it will happen 20 years in the future and ignore EU? We can probably expect to see a few big name characters such as the Solo children or Mara Jade, but it's not just deleting everything and starting from scratch. BTW George's original story has "influenced" this a little but he's not having nearly as big of a part in this trilogy as people think. He hasn't even talked to JJ. In his original plot, the OT had to do with defeating Vader(not Luke's father in that one) then the next trilogy involved defeating Sidious and Luke training Leia. So much has changed and adapted that they cannot come close to what was originally planned.

pfft george has said a lot and much has changed over the last bit with disney and new movies. Yeah he said that stuff, but he also said sidious is the most powerful sith lord and that there would never be any more star wars movies, but you see what has happened. It wont directly retcon anything, it's story will just take more importance than the current EU. How do you think it will happen 20 years in the future and ignore EU? We can probably expect to see a few big name characters such as the Solo children or Mara Jade, but it's not just deleting everything and starting from scratch. BTW George's original story has "influenced" this a little but he's not having nearly as big of a part in this trilogy as people think. He hasn't even talked to JJ. In his original plot, the OT had to do with defeating Vader(not Luke's father in that one) then the next trilogy involved defeating Sidious and Luke training Leia. So much has changed and adapted that they cannot come close to what was originally planned.
They might lift some names from the EU, but we won't be seing any stroy adaptions so the post-ROTJ will have to be severely retconned to make space for the movies. Also considering the impact that will have on surrounding works. The tidiest option would be to render the whole era non-canon and start again, though drawing on old elements but incorporating them in a new setting.

Sort of like Marvel I guess. Old comic books ARE the story, yet newer movies become the most important, while they don't change it dramatically most times, but in ways that are more appropriate and are new to EVERYONE regardless if you read it all or have read none

Do you think they should make Star Wars Movies set in the Old Republic era?

Yes please, would like to see Exar Kun get trounced by a cathar in a practice duel.

The Retconning is a problem, but the old era is much more cinematic anyhow so very little would need to be changed.