A commentary on Subscriber Benifits

RisenDragon

That list is completely incorrect. Unless you were also planning on listing things F2P players get. I'll attempt to correct it. I'll also delete everything that can be unlocked via GTN.

Priority login status. (you are more important to get onto full servers)

Unlimited Chat use in-game.

Unlimited use of in-game mail (credits and 8 items per message.)

Capability to trade between players.

50 sales slots on the GTN at any given time. (not sure how many F2P can unlock here)

Free Respecialization for all characters.

Unlimited use and reduced CD on quick travel. (compared to Premium and F2P)

Unlimited use of Emergency Fleet Pass.

Early access to Speeder Liscences.

Unlimited field revives (Medcenter and Med Probe.)

Increased weekly commendation cap.

Join and lead full access guilds.

Discount at all vendors.

Experience gain boosted.

Access to rested experience boost.

Boost to Valor gain.

Discount on mod removal and augmenting costs.

Full access to Customer Service resources.

Some of this stuff is nice but I think it's safe to say it's basically a ripoff in general.

It costs 600 CC to unlock a character slot, so for a premium player, that's 3600 CC to equal a subber. (6000 for F2P.)

What kind of crack are you smoking here? It costs 50k on the GTN. Even if you didn't want to farm that you'd be far better off buying some gambling boxes then selling them on the GTN.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the next big patch supposed to implement a new weekly event, and two new flashpoints?

I agree with the PvP issues for sure, those are probably my biggest gripe about the game overall.

Yup... it is. The problems are that it should not be taking this long, and BW has a well established history of missing it's advertised goals for patches by weeks if not months. As it sits right now, by they time they roll out this year's "Summer of SWTOR" content ~ Summer will be more than half over.

RotHC crafting was a mess, and the bugs were caught on the PTS a month before RotHC went live. It took 3 months for some of those bug fixes, and some have not been fixed yet. But in that same time frame we got 2 new CM shops? (collections & barber) That kind of illustrates why many subs feel that features and content as part of the sub are not a priority. Afterall ~ crafting is gimped for f2p players, and crafting bugs don't have much effect on the f2p experience.

Likewise bugs in Ops, FP's, & WZ's don't effect the f2p crowd as frequently because they don't have unlimited access to those bugs.

In 2012 PvP'ers got 2 new WZ, and a set of new gear models ~ not nearly enough imho, and I barely PvP. In 2013, at the rate BW is going, it will be 10 months since the PvP'ers have gotten anything when their next update happens. Who would expect those players to stick around that long without new PvP specific content?

Srsly BW.....fire that guy.

That list is completely incorrect. Unless you were also planning on listing things F2P players get. I'll attempt to correct it. I'll also delete everything that can be unlocked via GTN.

Some of this stuff is nice but I think it's safe to say it's basically a ripoff in general.

What kind of crack are you smoking here? It costs 50k on the GTN. Even if you didn't want to farm that you'd be far better off buying some gambling boxes then selling them on the GTN.

That list is completely based off of http://www.swtor.com/free/features. So, please correct it.

The cartel market prices are based off of Dulfy's comprehensive list of unlocks found here: http://dulfy.net/2012/10/23/swtor-cartel-market-items/

Provided that Dulfy is correct (and I've not known her site to be otherwise for much of anything) then character slot unlocks are 600 CC on the CM, and since F2P players start with 2 character slots, to get the 12 that a subber gets per server, that would be 6000 CC. (12-2= 10. 600 x 10= 6000.)

And as I stated in my post, almost all of the perks for being a subscriber can be purchased on the Cartel Market- and many of those unlocks can then be sold on the GTN, or simply passed to people as gifts.

Edited by RisenDragon

That list is completely based off of http://www.swtor.com/free/features.

Which hasn't been updated since they went F2P. Even on that list there are things which you listed incorrectly. You said full story 1-50 is a subscriber benefit when that has never been true.

And as I stated in my post, almost all of the perks for being a subscriber can be purchased on the Cartel Market- and many of those unlocks can then be sold on the GTN, or simply passed to people as gifts.

This is actually incorrect. You can't purchase unlocks then sell them. They come as common items in the gambling boxes and people sell them extremely cheaply because of that.

Provided that Dulfy is correct (and I've not known her site to be otherwise for much of anything) then character slot unlocks are 600 CC on the CM, and since F2P players start with 2 character slots, to get the 12 that a subber gets per server, that would be 6000 CC. (12-2= 10. 600 x 10= 6000.)

You're ignoring the pertinent point. Yes you CAN unlock a character slot for 600CC. Nobody should EVER do that though. Because you can spend your 600CC to get 600k credits instead. Then you can turn around and use those credits to unlock TEN character slots.

Which hasn't been updated since they went F2P. Even on that list there are things which you listed incorrectly. You said full story 1-50 is a subscriber benefit when that has never been true.

This is actually incorrect. You can't purchase unlocks then sell them. They come as common items in the gambling boxes and people sell them extremely cheaply because of that.

You're ignoring the pertinent point. Yes you CAN unlock a character slot for 600CC. Nobody should EVER do that though. Because you can spend your 600CC to get 600k credits instead. Then you can turn around and use those credits to unlock TEN character slots.

If swtor's page is incorrect, then my source information is wrong, and I can't really help that. As it is, citing information directly from SWTOR's website is probably a safe assumption, all things considered, though. Since I'm currently away from game, I can't personally check the Cartel Market, so I used Dulfy's site since I trust her content. I similarly can't very well verify the limitations of F2P without creating a new account and starting up a F2P account.

I was stating things that you get as a subscriber, not things that only subscribers get. Full 1-50 content is something that you get for being a subscriber, yes? You don't have to pay extra money for it, I don't think. At least, I don't remember doing anything of the sort.

This thread isn't about market tactics or GTN strategy. This is about the things that you get for being a Subber, vs the things that you could be getting for free- or a one-time purchase.

Also, take a look at some of the unlocks. They specifically say that you can still purchase and pass them to others, despite the fact that you are a subber and have those benifits already. By no means do all of them say that, but some do.

I was stating things that you get as a subscriber, not things that only subscribers get. Full 1-50 content is something that you get for being a subscriber, yes?

If it's something you get from F2P then via simple logic it's not something you get from being a subscriber.

Also, take a look at some of the unlocks. They specifically say that you can still purchase and pass them to others, despite the fact that you are a subber and have those benifits already. By no means do all of them say that, but some do.

Ahh you're correct. My bad then. My original statement that these are coming out of the cartel packs is true as well though. There are currently about 30 character slots for sale for 40k on POT5 right now. No way anyone is buying that for 600 CC and reselling it so cheap. There are about 100 weekly passes up for similar prices.

There's just no reason to spend CC on this stuff. It's always always always way cheaper to buy something for CC and sell it then buy the unlocks with the credits.

Edited by Sorenia

lets see. long time subscriber can buy pretty much all unlocks on GTN shelling out no extra money on cartel coins. passes for flashpoints/ops are sold on GTN for about 150k ish or less.

former subscriber is automatically prefered, so chat restrictions are removed, and while mail is not as good, you still get access to mail.

if you have aged legacy with a bunch of perks unlocked, - as well as security key, porting to fleet is fine, you can port to shp, etc etc.

basically - you are paying $15 a month for very minor conveniences.

so. there's a clear benefit to being a subscriber if you are new to the game. but.. if you've been playing for a while, and especially if you have semi casual play style? there is no reason other than goodness of your heart.

***snip***

I was stating things that you get as a subscriber, not things that only subscribers get. Full 1-50 content is something that you get for being a subscriber, yes? You don't have to pay extra money for it, I don't think. At least, I don't remember doing anything of the sort.

***snip***

That's the real rub to most subscribers... features that come standard with a f2p account are not features that are being paid for. They don't count in the value calculation anymore.

Launching a f2p option devalued the sub. BW recognizes that. It's why they provide subs with a CC grant.

The issue is that the lion share sub revenue is now being plowed back into CM crap instead of actual content, bug fixes, and features.

I'm not surprised by this. If players are willing to drop tons of cash on the CM ~ the RMT revenue stream is easier money. It takes less resources to develop. And it makes the game more profitable for EA ~ at least in the short term.

But if they're going to continue to focus on RMT in the future ~ SWTOR will be reduced to a wretched hive of scum and villainy in short order. There simply won't be any reason to commit play time or effort to the game anymore ~ not when the best in game rewards are earned by simply by grinding credits or by pulling out your wallet.

....and that's the track they're on right now.

If it's something you get from F2P then via simple logic it's not something you get from being a subscriber.

Ahh you're correct. My bad then. My original statement that these are coming out of the cartel packs is true as well though. There are currently about 30 character slots for sale for 40k on POT5 right now. No way anyone is buying that for 600 CC and reselling it so cheap. There are about 100 weekly passes up for similar prices.

There's just no reason to spend CC on this stuff. It's always always always way cheaper to buy something for CC and sell it then buy the unlocks with the credits.

I felt it pertinent to put in the game content for the simple fact that it is likely the reason someone downloaded the game to begin with, let alone become a subscriber.

I acknowledge that there is likely a cheaper route to getting full unlock capabilities than the one I posted, but that wasn't the point of my post. The point of my post is to list the things you get for being a subscriber in one place, so that people can reference it if they want, and decide if it's worth their time, as opposed to someone just downloading the game today, purchasing RotHC and dropping $80 in CC to get the unlocks that they want.

lets see. long time subscriber can buy pretty much all unlocks on GTN shelling out no extra money on cartel coins. passes for flashpoints/ops are sold on GTN for about 150k ish or less.

former subscriber is automatically prefered, so chat restrictions are removed, and while mail is not as good, you still get access to mail.

if you have aged legacy with a bunch of perks unlocked, - as well as security key, porting to fleet is fine, you can port to shp, etc etc.

basically - you are paying $15 a month for very minor conveniences.

so. there's a clear benefit to being a subscriber if you are new to the game. but.. if you've been playing for a while, and especially if you have semi casual play style? there is no reason other than goodness of your heart.

Pretty much. Which begs the question: If so many people are still long-term subscribers, then why haven't the dev's been responding to the subscriber community's legitimate complaints?

Pretty much. Which begs the question: If so many people are still long-term subscribers, then why haven't the dev's been responding to the subscriber community's legitimate complaints?

There are only a few possibilities.

a) bad leadership.

b) they don't actually intend to support a subscription model in the long term & would prefer to survive on revenue stream of f2p players who spend $10 in RMT to get to preferred status and subs who are gambling addicts.

c) they no longer have the human resources they need to address the problems.

d) all or part of the above

That's the real rub to most subscribers... features that come standard with a f2p account are not features that are being paid for. They don't count in the value calculation anymore.

Launching a f2p option devalued the sub. BW recognizes that. It's why they provide subs with a CC grant.

The issue is that the lion share sub revenue is now being plowed back into CM crap instead of actual content, bug fixes, and features.

I'm not surprised by this. If players are willing to drop tons of cash on the CM ~ the RMT revenue stream is easier money. It takes less resources to develop. And it makes the game more profitable for EA ~ at least in the short term.

But if they're going to continue to focus on RMT in the future ~ SWTOR will be reduced to a wretched hive of scum and villainy in short order. There simply won't be any reason to commit play time or effort to the game anymore ~ not when the best in game rewards are earned by simply by grinding credits or by pulling out your wallet.

....and that's the track they're on right now.

I agree and share your concern over the path of the game development. The next big update seems to be mostly actual content, though- new flashpoints, quests, ect.

Hopefully these last few updates were just the devs working out the Cartel Market and bringing that engine up to speed while they were working out the majority of the kinks for the next big update.

If that is the development plan- alternate update phases between CM content and in-game content- then I could live with that, but even so it's not really giving any particular incentive to remain a subscriber.

Personally- and given the breakdown of the things that I posted- the developers and game managers really need to start thinking of how they want to retain their current subscriber base and recruit new members of that community, as the subscribers represent a recurring income source for the game. (And honestly, it really is all about the money- both to keep the servers running and to line the pockets of the people in charge.)

There are only a few possibilities.

a) bad leadership.

b) they don't actually intend to support a subscription model in the long term & would prefer to survive on revenue stream of f2p players who spend $10 in RMT to get to preferred status and subs who are gambling addicts.

c) they no longer have the human resources they need to address the problems.

d) all or part of the above

Personally, if it were in any form option C, I would much rather they come out and say it so the community wouldn't be expecting responses to their comments.

We already had all of these "benefits" before F2P.

The game flopped because they lost subscribers, and now there is free to play, they are advertising that subscribing is amazing and beneficial when in fact its exactly the same since launch, and are putting ridiculous restrictions on F2P in order to "force " you to subscribe.

If you think sub is a rip-off, go Preferred. If you think being Preferred is to restrictive, then sub. if neither works for you, TOR is not the game for you. Problem solved.

If you think sub is a rip-off, go Preferred. If you think being Preferred is to restrictive, then sub. if neither works for you, TOR is not the game for you. Problem solved.

And this, while a valid opinion, does not help solve the issue of a de-valued subscription.

The thing the OP doesn't grasp are the following:

1. If you were to drop to free you would only unlock the things that apply to you, not everything like he listed.

2. You can buy the unlocks on the GTN and not pay a dime, so you can throw at the entire $80 if your account has millions of credits saved up. Buy them before dropping (since you won't have access to them anyway) then apply them after you drop.

3. Once you have the global unlocks the weekly passes end up actually be cheaper than a sub (Might not be true if you did all 3). So even if you did upfront some money for unlocks if you continued playing long enough it would end up being cheaper in the longrun.

3a. If you buy those unlocks on the GTN it costs you nothing.

I'm really starting to wonder why I still bother subbing. Mostly cause I didn't want the hassle of buying the weekly passes. However if they continue to not give a darn about their subscribers I'll probably drop to F2P and continue raiding using the method above. It seems to be what they want. :rolleyes:

Personally, if it were in any form option C, I would much rather they come out and say it so the community wouldn't be expecting responses to their comments.

There is another option...

There is a corporate manager from EA overseeing the SWTOR project who is insisting that the BW devs monetize all new features and content through RMT in some fashion. This is the the most likely scenario.

But no matter what the reason behind it is.....the community will never get any confirmation. They can't publicly confirm any of those things without causing a nearly instant and negative impact on revenue.

I take no issue with BW or EA making money. And I'd happily pay them for a better product.

But if they expect me to shell out for a sub and then shell out some more if I want anything I havn't already had for the last 12 months....it's not going to continue to happen.

I will only pay a sub, if they will provide me with new content that I can get excited about and enjoy playing WITHOUT having it gated by a CC paywall. Anything gated by a CC paywall IS NOT a feature of my sub ~ it's just a different kind of RMT shop.

**EDIT** WAS NOT - my sub has already been cancelled

Right now - the preferred f2p experience is very comparable to what I got for the price of my physical copy and the first 4 months of my sub. What I paid $100 for ~ is now being sold for $5.

Edited by Cleet_Xia

There is another option...

There is a corporate manager from EA overseeing the SWTOR project who is insisting that the BW devs monetize all new features and content through RMT in some fashion. This is the the most likely scenario.

But no matter what the reason behind it is.....the community will never get any confirmation. They can't publicly confirm any of those things without causing a nearly instant and negative impact on revenue.

I take no issue with BW or EA making money. And I'd happily pay them for a better product.

But if they expect me to shell out for a sub and then shell out some more if I want anything I havn't already had for the last 12 months....it's not going to continue to happen.

I will only pay a sub, if they will provide me with new content that I can get excited about and enjoy playing WITHOUT having it gated by a CC paywall. Anything gated by a CC paywall IS NOT a feature of my sub ~ it's just a different kind of RMT shop.

**EDIT** WAS NOT - my sub has already been cancelled

Right now - the preferred f2p experience is very comparable to what I got for the price of my physical copy and the first 4 months of my sub. What I paid $100 for ~ is now being sold for $5.

Do you have a source for your information regarding the RMT monetization insistance? I'm curious, not challenging on this. If it is truth, then it is proof that EA is driving the devs to destroy the game entirely. (In my opinion.)

I completely agree with your sentiment about new content needing to not be gated by the Cartel Market. The instant that happens, I'm out of the game entirely, and permanently. Probably would sell all my gear and donate the credits to my guild, assuming anyone is left in the guild after people of like mind exodus from the game.

The thing the OP doesn't grasp are the following:

1. If you were to drop to free you would only unlock the things that apply to you, not everything like he listed.

2. You can buy the unlocks on the GTN and not pay a dime, so you can throw at the entire $80 if your account has millions of credits saved up. Buy them before dropping (since you won't have access to them anyway) then apply them after you drop.

3. Once you have the global unlocks the weekly passes end up actually be cheaper than a sub (Might not be true if you did all 3). So even if you did upfront some money for unlocks if you continued playing long enough it would end up being cheaper in the longrun.

3a. If you buy those unlocks on the GTN it costs you nothing.

I'm really starting to wonder why I still bother subbing. Mostly cause I didn't want the hassle of buying the weekly passes. However if they continue to not give a darn about their subscribers I'll probably drop to F2P and continue raiding using the method above. It seems to be what they want. :rolleyes:

No, I grasp it.

In fact, it's almost the point of this thread. As long as we can put a static monetary value on the benifits of being a subscriber, the status of being a subscriber is de-valued.

As I've said before, the original post doesn't take into account the ability to purchase items off the GTN on purpose. A player starting out today will not have the resources available to manipulate the market in the fashion you suggest, but they could drop $80+ dollars on the cartel market and get the same results.

Do you have a source for your information regarding the RMT monetization insistance? I'm curious, not challenging on this. If it is truth, then it is proof that EA is driving the devs to destroy the game entirely. (In my opinion.)

I completely agree with your sentiment about new content needing to not be gated by the Cartel Market. The instant that happens, I'm out of the game entirely, and permanently. Probably would sell all my gear and donate the credits to my guild, assuming anyone is left in the guild after people of like mind exodus from the game.

Nope... I have no source... that's why I say it's a possibility. And anyone within the walls of BW or EA would certainly be fired if they made that kind of information public.

That said EA has a history of liquidating studios, their brand equity, and their intellectual properties. Converting SWTOR to a full RMT business model would be one way that they could accomplish that with BW and this title.

The thing is...a majority of the new content added in the last 6 months has been gated behind a RMT paywall. People have different definitions about what constitutes content, and can argue about that definition 'till the cows come home. My definition is anything related to the title that required effort to develop, simply because that effort could have been spent to develop X, and because content means something different to each player.

I really don't have an issue with new game content being behind a RMT paywall. What I take issue with is how much of the new content has been behind a RMT paywall. And that's why I cancelled my sub, because a SWTOR sub in 2013 doesn't purchase the kind of additional content that it did in 2012. It no longer provides me with the same value that it did.

BW has effectively raised the price of the SWTOR product ~ at a time when they were struggling to sell it. Kudos to them for being able to pull that off. For a brick & mortar business that is almost always suicide.

But they need to remember the players who paid to keep the lights on between April and December of 2012. Those players are the real SWTOR community. The players who were interested enough to pay for the game, and to pay a sub when subs were dropping like flies. Once they're all gone....what will be left is just another RMT time sink, full of jackhat players who don't care enough about the game to be worth grouping with for a rehashed FP or OP.

Nope... I have no source... that's why I say it's a possibility. And anyone within the walls of BW or EA would certainly be fired if they made that kind of information public.

That said EA has a history of liquidating studios, their brand equity, and their intellectual properties. Converting SWTOR to a full RMT business model would be one way that they could accomplish that with BW and this title.

The thing is...a majority of the new content added in the last 6 months has been gated behind a RMT paywall. People have different definitions about what constitutes content, and can argue about that definition 'till the cows come home. My definition is anything related to the title that required effort to develop, simply because that effort could have been spent to develop X, and because content means something different to each player.

I really don't have an issue with new game content being behind a RMT paywall. What I take issue with is how much of the new content has been behind a RMT paywall. And that's why I cancelled my sub, because a SWTOR sub in 2013 doesn't purchase the kind of additional content that it did in 2012. It no longer provides me with the same value that it did.

BW has effectively raised the price of the SWTOR product ~ at a time when they were struggling to sell it. Kudos to them for being able to pull that off. For a brick & mortar business that is almost always suicide.

But they need to remember the players who paid to keep the lights on between April and December of 2012. Those players are the real SWTOR community. The players who were interested enough to pay for the game, and to pay a sub when subs were dropping like flies. Once they're all gone....what will be left is just another RMT time sink, full of jackhat players who don't care enough about the game to be worth grouping with for a rehashed FP or OP.

Completely agree with this. And I love the game and the community that I've found here, so I'd hate for it to be destroyed by shifting into a RMT ghost of what it could be.

First, let me state that I have been a subscriber since launch, and will likely remain one for some time to come.

This post is to put in writing, for my benifit and those of the community who claim that the developers do not truly appreciate the subscriber community, the list of things that Subscribers get from the game.

Firstly, a subsriber pays anywhere from 13 to 15 USD a month for their subscription. This is what they get for their purchase:

Priority login status. (you are more important to get onto full servers)

Full story content from level 1-50.

Maximum (and boosted) skill slots.

Unlimited Chat use in-game.

Unlimited use of in-game mail (credits and 8 items per message.)

Capability to trade between players.

50 sales slots on the GTN at any given time.

Free Respecialization for all characters.

Open character creation choices- 12 character slots. (premium and F2P are limited.)

Unlimited access to Flashpoints, Operations, Space Missions, and Warzones.

Ability to increase character inventory with in-game credits. (CC only for Premium and F2P.)

Unlimited use and reduced CD on quick travel. (compared to Premium and F2P)

Unlimited use of Emergency Fleet Pass.

Early access to Speeder Liscences.

Unlimited field revives (Medcenter and Med Probe.)

Automatic access to all gear levels.

Increased weekly commendation cap.

Join and lead full access guilds.

Discount at all vendors.

Experience gain boosted.

Access to rested experience boost.

Boost to Valor gain.

Automatic access to 6 quickbars.

Automatic access to event rewards.

Discount on mod removal and augmenting costs.

Full access to Customer Service resources.

No cap on credits.

And a monthly stipend of 600 cartel coins.

So, let's break this down.

It costs 600 CC to unlock a character slot, so for a premium player, that's 3600 CC to equal a subber. (6000 for F2P.)

It costs 300 CC per character for access to Section X (1350 for account)- access that Subbers get for free.

900/2430 for the ability to equip purple gear.

325/725 for the ability to customize your companion's looks.

175/400 for the ability to use event items.

600/1350 for the ability to access guild banks.

125/280 for 10 extra sales slots on the GTN (625/1400 for premium or F2P to equal subber access)

250/540 for each additional quickbar. (500/1080 for premium; 1000/2160 for F2P to equal subber access)

475/1050 for access to cargo holds. (only F2P are limited in this regard.)

475/1050 to increase your cargo hold. (subbers can do this with in-game credits.)

420/945 per crew skill slot. (840/1890 for F2P to almost equal subber- boosted skills are not sold.)

100/200 to display titles.

350/775 to be able to hide head gear

and 600 CC per race to unlock for character creation.

350/775 to be able to unify equipment colors

100/200 to be able to display Legacy names.

So, if a free to play player wants to have all the same perks as a subscriber, they have to shell out a minimum of 21755 Cartel coins (roughly 80 USD), and even then they still have limits on Flashpoints, Operations, Warzones, Space Missions, credits and lack access to the bonuses and discounts available to subscribers throughout the game. (my math may be wrong, feel free to check it for me.)

Meanwhile, the Subbers are being given a little more than 5 USD back in cartel coins each month, as a 'thank you' for giving money to the company.

These are the current benifits of being a subscriber. Listed, quantified and compared for anyone who wants to see them.

But... but... but... we get nothing eeeeeeeeeeeeeextraaaaaa.... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!

Sorry... couldnt resist.

Yeah, i feel that i get my value for those 13$ i pay. I dont get why everyone is whining about not feeling special for being a sub. Try not being a sub a while and you'll see...

We already had all of these "benefits" before F2P.

The game flopped because they lost subscribers, and now there is free to play, they are advertising that subscribing is amazing and beneficial when in fact its exactly the same since launch, and are putting ridiculous restrictions on F2P in order to "force " you to subscribe.

So what you are saying is that you are upset because you pay the same now as you did before and get the same out of it?

Sounds reasonable.