The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Please don't bring back old cartel packs!

Shipment 1 will be leaving the Market on June 11 as you indicated. The reason we say temporarily is that they are subject to return in the future. I have no information on how, or when, but you can rest assured that you would likely see some or all of the Shipment 1 packs return to the Market at some point.

However, if you are a lover of packs and the items in Shipment 1… I would get them before they leave the market!

Dear Bioware,

Please do not bring back older cartel packs. Doing so will take the rarity out of quite a bit of items. Instead, please have the rare cartel pack items discontinued. It's already quite easy to amass wealth in-game, so the rare items are the only thing keeping a lot of players (like myself) from having hundreds of millions of credits lieing around. Let's take Revan's mask for example, the cartel packs re-realease, everyone who has Revan's mask panics and sells it for a very low price, then it become a common item, destroying the economy and letting people sit around with their mass of credits again.

Now I understand re-releasing the old packs will make you guys money, but what will happen is rare items become common, effectively lowering the price so that everyone has them, and while everything is cheap, people get rich because they no longer rare and expensive items to go after, then people stop relying on cartel packs for money to buy the things they want, finally, you lose money.

So in the end, my suggestion is to make the older cartel items discontinued, and don't bring back old cartel packs. It isn't fair to the people that collect rares. I'd rather just sell my Revan set than have it become common.

Edited by ThatProSniper

In sorry but do you speak for yourself or everyone? Regardless how the market will react to old packs I see no reason why they shouldn't return. To me people will still buy any packs they want regardless if they from shipment 1 or shipment 20.

In the end I believe the market won't suffer for it and people who want to try get those rare items can do so.

In the end I believe the market won't suffer for it and people who want to try get those rare items can do so.

And when tons of people get the rare items it removes the fact that they are, or ever were, rare.

There's no point in making rare items if they don't stay rare. Might as well just give everyone who buys a pack every possible item in them if they're just going to release them over and over.

Edited by ThatProSniper

And when tons of people get the rare items it removes the fact that they are, or ever were, rare.

There's no point in making rare items if they don't stay rare. Might as well just give everyone who buys a pack every possible item in them if they're just going to release them over and over.

What's "rare" ? An item that "few people have" or an item "hard to have". Ususally in MMOs, it means "hard to have", nothing more, nothing less. Limited supplies and MMO gaming tend to not be friendly concepts.

It look like that you just don't want your item to be devaluated. But that's what happens all the time in MMOs. An item may be rare but there will always be point where most of people who wanted it, will have it.

You're just mad that you didn't buy a ton of Korrelias commander's before they were lost forever :jawa_tongue:

What's "rare" ? An item that "few people have" or an item "hard to have". Ususally in MMOs, it means "hard to have", nothing more, nothing less. Limited supplies and MMO gaming tend to not be friendly concepts.

It look like that you just don't want your item to be devaluated. But that's what happens all the time in MMOs. An item may be rare but there will always be point where most of people who wanted it, will have it.

I guess I'm coming from a Runescape standpoint when I say "rare". I'd like the past cartel pack items to become discontinued and remain items "few people have".

As for the value I couldn't care less. Like I said, it isn't difficult to amass wealth in SW:TOR, I just want item that came to the people that have played when items were origionally released in cartel packs to remain with them, or with whoever they wish to trade to, instead of seeing them overflowing in the GTM, and someone who just starts playing can go and buy a Malak set immediately because there's 20 pages of them from re-releasing packs.

Edited by ThatProSniper

The op just have a stock pille of junk from Shipment 1 and want then to become "rare" to sell then for million on GTN in a few months

Probably.

By removing the packs now and bringing them back later it just means the Cartel Market stays cleaner and more people may get the items when they're brought back, meaning more packs sold because there may be a new generation that doesn't have the stuff (who may them again buy other packs when those are removed and reintroduced).

Shipment contents can be updated while the packs are removed, update the loot table, remove some pieces, add others. If that's done while packs are still being sold people might respond differently and become more skeptical when they don't get the drops they want, thinking the loot tables may have been changed regardless of whether or not they are.

Also if they don't reintroduce the old things but new ones instead over and over, then the collections will only get more and more messy, and it already is, partly because everything has to start unfolded every time you open it. Imagine if you browse your computer and every folder on every drive is unfolded, what a mess that would be.

If they do this, can they make it so RARE isn't so RARE, and COMMON is actually COMMON.

Seriously, +Power Crystals I obtained a lot of, but could I get 1 Relaxed Jumpsuit Jacket to drop from a pack? No! I even got 2 +Power Crystals in a row!

Something is messed up when common items are selling for as much as rares.

Dear Bioware,

Please do not bring back older cartel packs. Doing so will take the rarity out of quite a bit of items. Instead, please have the rare cartel pack items discontinued.

Ah, yes, Exclusivism again.

Why do people always have to be "more exclusive than others" ?

And I'm sure that you'd demand that rare items you cannot get should be handed over to you. I'm quite sure about that.

Because Exclusivists just cannot stand being left out from exclusive items themselves.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Since I did not catch the Post stating the First Shipment was going to be canceled, I can't wait for it to come back! I was just about to plunk down the coin on one of the first shipment's 24X packs, when I realized they were gone! I would really like to get the Sith Throne chair or the Jedi chair of meditation for my characters. So if EA is listening get those shipments back online the sooner the better. Thanks in advance.

OP seems to assume that the only value an item has is its rarity.

Some people just want it because they like it. You are talking about items like Revan's Mask. Some people will want it because it's Revan's mask, they won't care if everyone has one. And not all players have the 7 million creds it would take to get one.

Having a tiny chance to get one from a pack is a good thing, I think. These items were rare when the packs were available, so why would bringing back the packs substantially change that?

Since I did not catch the Post stating the First Shipment was going to be canceled, I can't wait for it to come back! I was just about to plunk down the coin on one of the first shipment's 24X packs, when I realized they were gone! I would really like to get the Sith Throne chair or the Jedi chair of meditation for my characters. So if EA is listening get those shipments back online the sooner the better. Thanks in advance.

Isn't the Sith Throne still available through the Cartel Market...like 10 Cartel Certificates and a bunch of credits to buy it on Fleet.

Isn't the Sith Throne still available through the Cartel Market...like 10 Cartel Certificates and a bunch of credits to buy it on Fleet.

Yes, but doesn't unlock in your collections. Same with Revan's mask or any other Cartel Reputation Vendor option - so you'd need to buy one for each character.

Oh and only one throne and one hoverchair are available, the other poster may want a particular colour.

Edited by CrazyMcGee

• 2 weeks later...
I really want the packs to come back, i never got the chance to finish the revan set or phantom and the others which i been trying to get for months never got my chance.... I say you really should bring the packs back, or put the revan in the cartel market. I think some others or alot others would like that to. Edited by LILjordan

Yes, but doesn't unlock in your collections. Same with Revan's mask or any other Cartel Reputation Vendor option - so you'd need to buy one for each character.

Oh and only one throne and one hoverchair are available, the other poster may want a particular colour.

It does, it's not good to relay false information, although it's probably not your fault.

Consider the possibility that:

If a company says "this is a limited time offer", it's entirely rational and legit to stock up on those things. That's the whole damned reason something would be limited time in the first place.

So it's not unreasonable for him to want something to stay gone, after he made the trusting and rational decision to profit from the scarce item. If it turns out not to be scarce, then it's just a lie.

Dismissing him as greedy isn't right.

I wouldn't call it rare if you won't be able to get it anymore I would call the exclusive. I'd like old packs to be brought back so people (even me) could get items they missed. What is so wrong with that? Nothing at all, just be happy you even have the damn thing and don't be upset that other people also have it. It isn't that rare if you buy it just expensive.

in other words i have all the things i want from the pack and bringing the items back will make my hard earned items not as rare.....you do understand revans mask will not become common from the pack coming back its at a stable expensive price because it was not easy to get out of a pack and that will not somehow change when the packs comeback it will just insure that the item will continue to exist on the market 3 years from now for like 10mill

• 4 months later...
I agree with the OP and it seems most don't. Bringing these packs back is a short-sited business decision. Just like most business decisions. Sure they will make a nice chunk off of these packs but they destabilize the in-game economy and will hurt their next set of packs going out of print sales. If they were never to come back people would buy 10x as many b4 they left. Instead they will just say, I'll just get them when they come back. This is like Baseball Card Company rereleasing their 1952 Topps cards, not reprints. They would get a ton of money up front but kill the Golden Goose.